Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is steep!

Poster: A snowHead
ed123 wrote:
all our butt cheeks were so firmly clamped together there was no chance of a turn

...or as a friend of mine put it, "if you stuck a piece of coal in my ass right now it would come out a diamond"
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marksavoie wrote:
This doesn't take into account people who subscribe to Darwin's Theory of evolution who drage their knuckles on the ground.
Don't you mean "who failed to evolve"?

horizon, how is the knee doing? (for those of you who forgot, he had a knee operation a month or so ago).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowball, thanks for asking! It will be 7 weeks this Thursday and things are going quite well - I've been walking normally for the last 2-3 weeks and I'm doing a lot of physiotherapy / exercises.

The doc saw me c. three weeks ago and said that only 10-20% of patients can jump on one leg 4 weeks after the operation.

I think I'll come over to La Grave mid-Feb to say hello, but for skiing I'll stick to the blue pistes in Serre Chevalier with my son!

Sorry for the thread hijack guys...I promise I'll make up for it with steep skiing pics as soon as I'm fully recovered.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good to hear you're fixing up, C.

I'm going to be in La Grave over New Year so I'm praying for snow right now. Want the Voute and the Freaux to be in decent nick.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Personally I feel that anything over 35 degrees feels steep. Very few pistes are 35 degrees for any real length. Sustained 30 degrees is a steep piste.
40 degrees feels really steep and I don't think I've skied anything above 50, probably less. 60 degrees is madly steep - fall on that and you really are not going to stop until the bottom.

I always think that if I can get some sluff going then it's atmospherically steep! Did a quick google and this article suggests you normally need at least 40 degrees for sluffing.
http://www.fsavalanche.org/Encyclopedia/sluff.htm
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just been watching the Blizzard of Aaahs again, and Poubelle off the Aiguille du midi - which is one of the steepest bits they do - is quoted at 49 degrees
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
limegreen1 wrote:
I used to guage how steep my wife thought a slope was by how long she just stood looking at it, then by the amount of abuse I got. Laughing ..... she now skis with her new husband.... the poor sod !!

OMG

This is a common scenario and theme in my family skiing holiday ...
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Steep is no problem to an Ibex.

http://youtube.com/v/N2Jad7Yk1Dw
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brian, wow thats amazing!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why is it that when you look down a set of stairs that is 45 degrees, it doesn't seem steep - if you put a load of snow over the stairs and filled in the gaps I'd ski it, but suddenly when it's a piste it is a different view?

I agree that we overestimate how steep a slope is generally, but they still tend to look like more than 45 degrees when they're not. There must be some scientific reason for it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
not sure that many flights of stairs are 45*
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Monium, just measured a typical set of stairs at my work - using the mammut snow safety iphone app. 33 degrees...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Monium, Mine at home are 42 degrees using the same app as stoatsbrother.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monium, the stairs are not long enough to give you the feeling of ohshhit I'm going to fall into this vertical hole and die!

Plus I guess most of them are indeed less than 45 degrees.

Some stairs on the tube do look interesting though!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
42 degrees here at my folks in Lancashire, using the iHandyLevel app Smile Must be a northern vs southern thing, southerners are too soft to get up steep stairs, probably causes accidents trying to scale anything that steep in Manolos after too many sherrys, and that's just stoatsbrother Smile
snow report
Sideshow_Bob, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Monium wrote:
Why is it that when you look down a set of stairs that is 45 degrees, it doesn't seem steep - if you put a load of snow over the stairs and filled in the gaps I'd ski it, but suddenly when it's a piste it is a different view?

I agree that we overestimate how steep a slope is generally, but they still tend to look like more than 45 degrees when they're not. There must be some scientific reason for it.

Exposure.
ski holidays
OK, points taken, but I don't get the "oh lordy" moment and feel the need to slap myself on the face a few times before walking down a long set of stairs. Even if they are 35 degrees, that is still steep in our world. If I pictured myself on a pair of skis, I still wouldn't feel it. Hemel looks like a set of stairs to me, but clearly it is nowhere near as steep.
snow conditions
Monium, I imagine it is a pure confidence/perception thing. You have been going down stairs since being a kid and it is totally natural, therefore you do not associate it with danger.
I good skier would not think twice about a slope as steep as stairs because they know they can easily negotiate it without thinking. But someone like myself has to plot a way down whilst trying not to fall.

Imagine a fully grown adult who has never seen a flight of stairs before. What would their reaction be if you plonked them at the top and told them to walk down?

Cheers
Smag
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/hdbjR62hWD0&feature=related
latest report
Sideshow_Bob, down here we have room for more gentle steps.

And they're jimmy Choos. Wink
snow report
Monmartre 1946

http://youtube.com/v/dWcth4zh6_o
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow those ibex are amazing, great vid Brian. Shows us how far we really are out of our element in a mountian enviroment and how much they are in theres. Brill
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy