Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Review of Les Carroz (Grand Massif, Flaine)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Seem to have forgotten to post this at the time....better late than never I hope...

Went to Les Carroz for a long weekend 8th-11th Jan 2010 and was pleasantly surprised. Transfer was quick and easy (thanks alp-line), MGM Fermes du Soleil was exactly as promised, in town, lovely apartments with a bit more space than usual in France and very well specc’d, friendly staff and an excellent spa/pool free to use downstairs. The spar supermarket was only about 20 yards away, as was the ice rink, and about a dozen restaurants/pubs within 200m, all very convenient. Bit of a hike to the slopes in the morning (5mins walk?) but we arranged lockers at the ski hire shops which were by one of the drags that leads to the main gondola (Carroz Sports & Abondance Sports on Rue du Moulins) so could just wander up unencumbered with skis/boots so no one had too many problems.

Both shops recommended, good quality equipment (Movement, Atomic Nomad, Dynastar Legends for example - all in decent condition) but be sure to PREBOOK if you want to use carroz sports - their ‘on the day’ rate is horrible and they weren’t open to negotiation - Abondance sport were friendlier and cheaper

Runs were varied and mostly easy enough for a mixed group to have fun without too much planning. The piste map is pretty useless at telling which way is UP and several key runs have flat sections but not enough that it impacted our enjoyment. The off-piste was noticeably easy to access, varied and highly enjoyable for those just starting out off piste as we are. More than anything I loved NO QUEUES - I was expecting it to be crowded and it was anything but - I don’t think I queued all weekend, and often had runs pretty much to ourselves. Off the beaten track favourite in Carroz was Pacoty red, keeping its snow wonderfully and an ideal gradient for a high speed run as is slightly easier to get to Marmotte. In good viz Belzebuth over in Flaine is hysterical, rolls up and down like a coaster Didn’t find a run we didn’t like all weekend, although the Cascades to Sixt is rather flat! I would note the blue to Flaine from Carroz (Dolomie) does have a steep section on it that might not be the favourite of nervous beginners or early intermediates. That said it’s easy enough for anyone past that level to get from Flaine to Les Carroz and back; we did it most days, and also visited all the other villages, including the hike to Sixt - you really can get a sense of moving around which is nice.

Highly recommended, I’ll definitely have it on my list for a return visit next season.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
a.j., glad you enjoyed it, but why did you expect it to be crowded? That's about as low season as you can get.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just because all the guides mentioned nasty weekend crowds,(due to the closeness to Geneva) and my one trip to PdS, which is close by, had awful queues (Late March, not a school hol week) - so I'd expected something similar. I knew it was early, but I hadn't realised how quiet it would be, quieter than other resorts we've hit at the same time of year in fact.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
<dupe>

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 18-11-10 21:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glad you had a great time, we are ready for our 3rd season in Les Carroz. Dont tell too many other people!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Our third season too, love it there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
a.j., glad you enjoyed it. Heading out for an early trip myself in a month....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Loved the Grand Massif, especially the Flaine bowl. Just don't buy your lunch in it (€25 for burger, chips and beer - gotta start looking at prices...)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thinking of going there in a week or so's time. All looks OK, but I can find no info on apres ski. I get the impression that it's rather sleepy there !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah it was pretty quiet when we were there Sarge - definitely not a party town.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^^^Not at those prices!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy