Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bamboo clothing: Is it any good?

Poster: A snowHead
I noticed on here the banner ad for this bamboo clothing company. Apparently the fabric has similar benefits as merino wool but is nicer to the touch. Has anyone tried the stuff already, for sports or casual wear? Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowman, You can get bamboo socks in Marks and spencer, seems a bit trendy at the mo Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have some bamboo boxers, which are pretty nice, but that is partly down to the cut - I can't get any more of the same style, but would look at others. I can't comment on it's anti-posng properties as I don't habitually smell them when I remove them, but I have not noticed any more than with M&S microfibre, Smartwool Merino etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowman, Bought some gear made from the stuff a few years ago in Canada. It was very cheap unlike it is here. Its great and better than cotton. Very comfy and warmer too. As Yellow Pyranha, says its down to the cut of the clothing - mines never ponged after wearing Toofy Grin

Not sure if I would use as a base layer, but as general use its great. Another new fabric is cocona, using recylced coconut shells Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowman, I am a big fan of my bamboo socks, but they're not nearly as warm as my merino ones. So I get lots of comfort in the summer, but I won't wear them when it's cold.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bamboo clothing - great, just don't linger near any Panda bears...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All the bamboo stuff I've had has been good, and lasted really well.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eats shoots and leaves
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
isn't "bamboo" just another kind of rayon/viscose made using bamboo as a source of cellulose rather than wood pulp?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andy, wood knot know wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think my running t shirt from the Royal Parks Half is made from bamboo fibre. It feels and performs just like a synthetic fibre used in running t shirts, obv better than cotton though as it's more wicking.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks guys, I think I will buy some then. Anyone bought from this company, BAM, before?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi,

Only just picked up this thread, pardon the pun. Blush

Bamboo has good thermal and wicking properties, but because of the inherent nature of the material the fibres themselves are more brittle than say merino. The result is that the products tend not to last quite as long because they deteriorate more quickly: they tear at the seams and create small holes.

That said, have never tried BAM stuff, they may have solved the problem.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowman, Bam s clothing seems to have a mix of cotton in it, with only 70% bamboo. All the stuff I've bought from Canada was 95% bamboo and 5% lycra/spandex to keep the shape. It was around half the price of BAM too. Madeye-Smiley

Try here for a higher % of bamboo. Havent bought any of their bamboo stuff but other things have been great. Great service and free shipping. I believe others here have used them too Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Higher Bamboo content here
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
eats shoots and leaves

latest report
Adli has a selection of bamboo-based clothing at the moment including some socks that feel nice and snugly today:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-22nd-may/
snow conditions
I have bought bamboo socks from Aldi/lidl and whist comfy they wore out very quickly!
snow conditions
Boo!
ski holidays
altis, kudos on the use of the search function to pull up a four year old thread - TGR would be proud Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I use Bamboo thermals underneath my ski wear and find them wicked....95% bamboo though ..they don't seem to pong much and feel soft and warm... the material is really breathable unlike my old cottton ones... I bought from silkyboo - online shop... i would recommend
ski holidays
Bamboo is only environmentally friendly in the same way that diesel is : CO2 reduction.
The process of turing bamboo into the viscous fibres used for clothing uses carbon disulfide, sodium hydroxide, and sulphuric acid.
So while bamboo is good as it absorbs 35% more CO2 than other plants, the by products of the fabric production process are pretty nasty for the environment.
That being said, I really like my bamboo socks.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy