Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How silly would it be to use 1080s for touring?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I want to start doing some touring, mostly sidecountry i guess but with a view to doing some more proper stuff in the future. I've got a pair of old 1080s that are kind of redundant now i've got some enforcers. I had thought about keeping them as a trash ski for park but I spend so little time in the park they probably wouldn't ever get used.

I used them as my one quiver ski for ages and they've done pretty well apart from being a little soft and its not too much of a problem as i'm pretty light. They're not in great nick but usable. Apart from the twin tip possibly not being ideal for skins (is it really a problem?), are there any other reasons why they wouldn't be a good choice?

Had thought about maybe some dukes/barons on the enforcers but would be a pretty hefty set up and i don't really want to compromise them on the downs with a lighter binding.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've had no problem using skins on Lords, which are twintipped.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Twins aren't a problem with skins (at least black diamond skins). Don't really know anything about the skis, but if they worked for you everywhere before I'd imagine they would still be fine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
el nombre, Hopefully not too silly, as I've set up an old pair of mine up with touring bindings. The s\h skin's I bought seem fine, although I had to have them shortened. That didn't go too well at the local cobblers. 1 ended up too short and I've had to resort to a fix involving a couple of picture hooks. Seems to work though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unless they melt while you're actually going up then they'll be fine. TT are no problem with skins.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1080 is a decent choice for touring - light ski and ok for the descents.
Twin tips should be fine - but it depends on the tail hook.
If its turns out to be causing hassle then cut a wee notch in them with a stanley knife.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know pocket rockets are regarded as not bad for touring, 1080s are just a thinner version in essence, so can't see why they'd be bad? I suppose there is the fact that pocket rockets were known as "supernoodles" for a reason though Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
el nombre, I have use 1080s a lot off piste and they are really forgiving and fun. Also foils. Very light as well. Not so great for going fast or on piste/ice but otherwise very handy. Lots of folk have skins with twin tipped skis.

I think salomon made a non-twin version of the 1080 for touring. THe issue being snow anchors.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
el nombre, no problem at all for touring. As for the twin tip + skins - I generally just cut off the skins just back from the tail. No clips, no problem...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy