Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice please: short break for 2-4 people from UK to Alps in January

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some friends are hoping to take a short break in January with between 2-4 people which would involve 3-4 days on the slopes somewhere in the Alps which satisfies most/all of the following criteria: cheap (ish), decent chance of snow, includes the weekend

Accomodation isn't too important - we've all been friends for years and managed to stay that way even as 2 guys and 2 girls living in a 'family' room for our trip to Fernie. Being able to cook for ourselves would be a bonus (so we can save the precious funds for lift tickets and booze) and not having to take a bus to the slopes would be another bonus (I'm looking at you, St. Wolfgang!)

Of course, we're capable of sorting out winter holidays on our own, but you guys know stuff. Any advice?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We did something cheap and very similar to Les Carroz (Flaine) last year, highly recommended. Perfect resort size for a long weekend. Short transfer from geneva, and while it was about 800m or so to the slopes from the apt we did leave our gear in the shops for free so just walked up in shoes each morning which wasn't much hassle at all, or there is a pretty frequent bus. We used mgm via erna low. Nice pool, & very convienient for the spar supermarket. Bit quiet at night, but thats usually ok on a short trip, and it's possible we didn't look in the right places - we only tried once!

You could also try serre chevalier artsetvies - I tried to make that work for this season but they weren't available my dates, look very convienient for slopes and transfer from turin isn't too hideous pricewise.

The other obvious choice is portes du soleil but somehow I've never made it there yet, maybe this year!

hth

aj xx
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quite a few cheap and cheerful central hotels in Chamonix, e.g. http://www.hotelfaucigny-chamonix.com/tarifs_en.php
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have looked at this a few times, Cheap flight to innsbruck, stay in the city and got to one of the resorts around innsbruck itself. Axamer Lizum looks pretty good and overlooks innsbruck itself, looks like there is a funicular from the city up in to the mountain.
plus cheap accommodation, food and beer as its a city.
I was going to do this in the next few months but i am actually off to st anton instead
there is a good vid here
http://youtube.com/v/y-WmxEnLOLU
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
True, if you aren;t tied to french alsp then austria from salzburg is very viable, we used to do it often till ryanair killed the flight I was using. Take a look at the ski amade resorts - about an hour from salzburg.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe Bourg st Maurice, get there direct on the train and you're minutes away from Les Arcs 1600 by funicular. Much cheaper accommodation and food than up on the mountain.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I guess if the OP doesn't want to have to get a bus to the slopes he doesn't want to walk/train either, and many of the options in Chamonix would involve some bussing (albeit not such a schlep as St Wolfgang!). In many places it'll be easier to get non-standard accommodation very near the time. No harm in booking some cheap flights - to somewhere not far from the snow - and waiting, I'd say. Flights will get more expensive. If I only had a few days I'd prefer to be right on top of the skiing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, do you think first timers would really wear out Chamonix's Brevent/Flegere area in a weekend? The cable car's only a short walk from the town centre. Combined with short Geneva transfer time to squeeze those hours on the snow in, it seems ideal as a place geared to the short-break skier.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shallimus, if you are DIYing then you'll probably end up flying and car-hiring so that gives you a bit of flexibility on where you stay in relation to the lifts.

You want to minimise time off work and maximise ski time, then you want somewhere where you can get early morning or late night flights. Geneva is good so is Salzburg.

If you want a weekend package - then www.skiweekends.com do both overnight coach or flight options.
www.mountainsun.com do weekend trips to their base in La Plagne and will collect you from Geneva.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
crosbie wrote:
pam w, do you think first timers would really wear out Chamonix's Brevent/Flegere area in a weekend?

Not quite old timers but not exactly first timers either wink

Thanks all - this is all food for thought. As some have noted, the main point of this holiday is to be short (so don't want to do any transfer to the resort) and sweet.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro wrote:
If you want a weekend package - then www.skiweekends.com do both overnight coach or flight options.
www.mountainsun.com do weekend trips to their base in La Plagne and will collect you from Geneva.

Looking at www.skiweekends.com with considerable interest, but not sure that www.mountainsun.com are necessarily going to have what I want Laughing (seriously: thank you for posting advice... but the second link was not what I expected)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shallimus wrote:
Not quite old timers but not exactly first timers either wink

Ah, well, if you've been to Chamonix before, you'll know its pros & cons. However, have you been since the new Brevent cable car?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shallimus, it's mountainsunltd.com. Not jam. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah, thanks. Was too lazy to do the necessary research. Thanks pam_w and Ray Zorro.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shallimus, Rayscoops is the king of the weekender, you should ask him
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy