Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste Freeriding Places

Poster: A snowHead
As someone wrote 'You have an “encyclopedic” knowledge of the Paradiski area'. I thought, yeah why not share with everyone some of the places I like to freeride.

First I shall look at my back garden area then move onto such places as the 'Three Valleys' and 'Espace Killy'. Places I know equally as well. Many of you who have joined our little group will recognise some of these places.

So here goes, please feel free to add comments about any of the places I mention if you have skied or boarded them yourselves or even just dream of doing so. But always remember never go off piste without the full safety kit and if you do not know the area very well, take a guide. Stay safe out there.

To kick this off a little video from youtube made by some people I know. This is one of the routes we do quite often when there is fresh snow.

First Tracks on Aiguille Rouge after fresh snow fall.

http://youtube.com/v/csdU_sVUJMY&feature=related

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 12-11-10 23:50; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice, I love the chinese downhillness of it!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is that footage just about all taken on the Aiguille Rouge piste, with a bit of fresh snow to play with Happy ? I couldn't work out which bits were off piste except for one shot.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowcrazy, Ahhh.. lovely mountain Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, clarky999, Scarpa: Gosh that was quick guys, I had not even finished editing my bad spelling.

rob@rar, Yes it is all on either side of the piste at the top of AR, but with a number of variations. If you look carefully there are some steeper lines coming out of the cliffs from the top (part of the very old black there once) and at the bottom through the gully. All glacial areas underneath mind so great care needs to be taken. It ends up going out of sight down the Villaroger Black run.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It was the gully I didn't recognise.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowcrazy wrote:
rob@rar ...All glacial areas underneath mind so great care needs to be taken...

Ain't many wearing a rucksack [kit], interesting....?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
allanm, well spotted, think there were four or five from memory without kit, the three snowboarders plus one or two skiers, but the biggest risk there is falling in an open hole if there were any, which I do not think there were by that time in the season. But yes off piste is off piste so they should have there kit, they all have it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowcrazy, Were you on that clip?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
allanm, No not me in that one or this, both made for Freerider . They have a shop in Arc 1950 as well now.

Here is one more before bed just to keep you all thinking of the nice powder we are all hoping for.

http://youtube.com/v/TLU3F7c_fBk

Also posted on youtube by them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So how many people recognise any of the places where this video mix of some of the off piste in Les Arcs was made. Quite hard to identify all the routes they have put into this one short vid.

Now that I have whetted your appetite for what is on offer, here are a few routes.

1) Col de la Chal (Nancroix/Pont Bodin).

This is an easy off piste route from either behind the Restaurant at the top of the Transarc, or by walking up to a few metres towards the Ag Grive to take a higher line or further down towards the middle which is the safest line.

Which ever line you take, you can have a great trip down to Nancroix in fresh powder on an easy gradient to the forest and then along the forest track to the valley. Keep in the centre of the valley the whole way down to the forest track going right (easy to see) if you want to avoid any avalanche areas.

Another nice route and quite easy.

2) Grizzly le foret de Notre Dame (Nancroix)

Go to the top of the Grizzly lift, go down the black at the top then cut left into the forest. Stay on the flatter area and slowly make your way through the forest until you reach the church. From the church, down the easy open meadows to end in the village by the same bus stop as the route above. Very little if any avalanche risk on this route.

Anyone that has done these routes, please do add pics if you have any. More to follow later if I have time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowcrazy,
Quote:

Here is one more before bed just to keep you all thinking of the nice powder we are all hoping for.

http://youtube.com/v/TLU3F7c_fBk

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin mmmm thats a bit of a cheat, all the stuff they are skiing is right next to the piste wink wink esp the stuff off the grand col
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowcrazy,
Quote:

1) Col de la Chal (Nancroix/Pont Bodin).

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy wrote:

1) Col de la Chal (Nancroix/Pont Bodin)

...Known locally as the 'Valley of the idiots' or sometimes 'Grange Hill'...

snowcrazy wrote:

2) Grizzly le foret de Notre Dame (Nancroix)

Better known as 'The Squirrel [run]'.

IIRC wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
allanm, Sorry but I think those names are stupid and will not use them unless talking to the kids. I prefer to be more traditional, I know I am getting old and boring Twisted Evil

livetoski, very nice pic, but like many photos makes it look much harder than it is. My neice skied this route when she was 9 years old. Very Happy That pic look's to me to be high on the right, snowHead not down the middle easy route just in case anyone was wondering where it was taken. Very Happy
snow report
snowcrazy, Pretty easy run agreed, but nice view of the valley, funny how when your skiing you sometimes miss the views Confused
ski holidays
snowcrazy, wink
snow conditions
looks like a great view of the N Face of Bellecote from Col de la Chal?
snow conditions
snowcrazy, Valley of the idiots is a name give by boarders as if you screw up, you can end up walking a long flat. Its kinda pertains to a section going across to La grange or Grange hill to us heathen Brits.

Its pretty dam easy ride. Funny how you say the squirrel run is easier. I find that much steeper and that long section in the trees is barely wide enough to turn the board.

You also need good snow for the squirrel run as the fields after the trees down to nancroix loose snow quick. The Col de la Chal seems to hold snow better as the track runs all the way down to the outskirts of the village. You can still end up walking from the gate to the bus stop.

There have be rumers (last heard from Mr unsubstantiated in a pub) for years of a lift going in from the nordic center up the Col de la Chal. Its suspected that the snow machine cost for the lower section is the stumbling block.

I would not downplay the dangers of going down the Col de la Chal. I have seen avalanche debree coming off the right that could easy swallow people taking the easy route down. watch for people above you on the right.

Tux
snow report
Arno wrote:
looks like a great view of the N Face of Bellecote from Col de la Chal?

Here's one:
latest report
someone posted this on another thread(Bansko) but its well worth a watch & aslo a great advert for back country skiing in eastern europes best ski resort wink ..click on the link then epic moments video

http://missinglink.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=102/
snow report
tuxpoo, most of us know that these are names for the Col du chal that are given by mainly English kids that board, hence my comment idiot names. When I was boarding down there last winter I met some of them. No kit, doing the high traverse, very dangerous as a slide a few days later proved and just laughed and said, oh we do not need that gear. Most years a young seasonnaire boarder gets hit by an avalanche somewhere in Les Arcs, will they never learn. Guess that is just part of being young and stupid as we all were at one time.

For safety, if you do go on the centre route down where the road is, then it is very safe and easy to ski or board. The slides from the right cannot get across that side and the slides from the left are to shallow to get to you. Although it could happen after a very heavy snow fall, but the people should not be doing the route in those conditions anyway unless they are really experienced.

On skis I think the squirrel run (from Grizzly to the church) is easier if you follow the track, but yes on a board it is harder maybe, it is quite tight. But I like tree skiing.

I have also heard of the rumours about a lift, but those I have spoken with say it will never happen, but 'never say never' Toofy Grin

Tux, when are you out, we must try to ride together this winter. Very Happy
snow report
Today's route:

The Petit North Face of Aiguille Rouge and the Robert Blanc Couloir.

The first section, Petit North Face of Aiguille Rouge is hard. Starts skiers left at a rocky entrance, unless very good snow depth after skiing down the piste 100m from the top. If you do not know where I mean you need to have a guide. Twisted Evil

After the entrance and a steep exposed 30+ degree rocky slope you get to a large powder field which is great and takes you back to the red road piste coming from the top. Twisted Evil

Cross the road about 50m to the left and drop into the Robert Blanc Couloir. Much easier at 28 going down to 20 degrees or less and quite wide but once you are in you cannot get out and back to the piste until you are in the Arc 2000 bowl. A great route for those wanting a safer challenge but you need to be sure footed and have plenty of energy as it is a long way down. The good thing about this route is that it holds the snow well and if you do fall over you will just stop and not slide very far. Toofy Grin

Remember if you do not know the area, take a guide.
ski holidays
Another route for today:

The Comborciere Petite Vallee. Three ways of doing this route.

1) From the top of the colcheret chair you start down the black piste and then cut right at once taking the higher line. More exposed after fresh snow falls. Has a number of long powder fields which takes you to the right under the bottom of the exit from the comborciere couloirs. Be careful here as they can slide from above. You then go down staying on the right side and cross the shoulder at the bottom onto a second slope which takes you finally down to the Pre St Esprit Chair. Very Happy

2) From the top of the colcheret chair stay on the black comborciere piste until the bend then go into the valley there. Stay on the left centre of the valley until it opens out. Then go down the centre of the valley to the shoulder. From shoulder follow route above. Very Happy

3) Either from the colcheret or comborciere chair, go down to the corner where the two pistes meet and then drop over into the valley. Then follow left side of valley down to the forest two thirds of the way down. If you know the route, go through the forest to the bottom, but be warned it is easy to get the route wrong here. Very Happy

No matter which of these routes you take, once you are in the valley, you CANNOT get back to any piste until the bottom (unless you try a very tricky traverse through the forest, not advised) so you need to be fit and stable off piste as it is a long way. Twisted Evil

Enjoy yourselves but always take your full arvi gear as this area can and does slide after heavy snow. If you are unsure about this or any of the other routes I have mentioned, you are welcome to join us for a bit of fun as long as you bring the full arvi kit. Just get in touch. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Now, here is something a little more extreme, what do you think of this one. Off the back of Aiguille Rouge. Is this steep enough for you all. Anyone into this stuff, please do come and join us in Les Arcs some time this season. See my facebook link below. Very Happy

Toofy Grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&v=s1rEnjxxFjA Toofy Grin

Another route description to follow later if I have time.
snow conditions
2:21 ... Shocked
ski holidays
snowcrazy, thanks, that's brilliant!
snow conditions
snowcrazy, very impressive video... and obviously an awful lot of knowledge of the mountain!

superb.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy, haven't been to watch all the vids yet but will do over the w/e.

I've done all the Comborciere stuff I believe. It can be pretty bleak over that way but I do remember having some good times over there.

Haven't done the Nancroix stuff.

Pretty sure I've done the Petit North Face stuff. Unfortunately it's a few years (pre-kids) since I was doing this so some of the routes are a bit sketchy Sad

Great thread.
ski holidays
snowcrazy, excellent video, thanks.
latest report
snowcrazy, great video, even B was impressed with the big jump Shocked
Pic below of St Foy from Villaroger, 3 runs in highlighted, if you know the nick name of the middle run no need to post it Toofy Grin Toofy Grin our friend got caught in an avalanche on the right side drop in 3 seasons ago, we were below on the piste and moved just in time Very Happy
snow report
livetoski, Great pic and yes these are good routes BUT you have to walk and I am very lazy. The place where your friend got caught is very rocky. Must have been good snow that day, but unstable. As you have posted this I presume he was OK. Maybe now my knee is better i shall have to come over there to do some skiing with you this season. Been a while since I hiked up that ridge.

A route for today that most people can do.

Very Happy Malgovert, Deux Tetes and Mont Blanc Forest. Very Happy

From the top of the Comborciere Chair, go round towards Malgovert nature ride piste. There are various ways to enter this off piste area. Hardest is at first corner before going onto Red malgovert piste, go straight on between rocks. Quite steep and can slide so take care. Easier route, carry on around the red piste then go over the shoulder on the left when the piste goes into a dip. Make your way down over the shoulder towards the piste below (you can see where to go). The whole of the malgovert area is a Nature ride piste so not pisted but protected from avalanche. Either stay to the marked route or go across this area and make your way down through the forest to the Mont Blanc blue piste below. DO NOT go to the right as there are cliffs and this route is much harder.

If you keep going left you can come out heading towards the Deux tetes poma rather than going all the way down to the Blue piste.

Go up poma and you then have the Deux tetes off piste area or the Black nature ride piste to ski down. If you have been shown the route, you can ski down into the Mont Blanc forest from here and go all the way down to Arc 1600 off piste in the forest, but be warned, this is a big forest and there is a cliff band in the middle so take care or you can get lost.

Have fun Toofy Grin
snow report
Monday Morning route....

Another of the hidden gems of the resort of Les Arcs, 'Routiere de la Rat’ (just accasionally referred to as 'The Rat run' by uncouth Brits). Not one of the longest off piste excursions, but some will remember it for their entire skiing career....

So get yourself on the Derby, at the top, down Bellete, then the little used Rhodes (the ‘roller run’) on the right. Straight over Plan Bois and onto Barmont. Now the tricky entrance. As you start to cross Maitaz (keep your speed) you’ll see a building in front of you. Dip off the piste and aim for about 100M to the right of this building. Don’t forget at this point you’re off piste, so check each others insurance and sharpen your probes. Single file is always a good idea here, with at least two chevrons between each skier. Anyway as you approach the building there is a frozen stream to navigate, so take care there and make your way around the track to the back of the building. Care is needed now, as the slope steepens to at least two and a half degrees and there may be some marmot sized moguls, you have been warned! As you wend your weary way round the back there, you’ll see a track through a clearing in the trees, take this and make your way down. Towards the end of the clearing keep right and follow the ever narrowing track, first round left, then a sadistic right hairpin right on a track barely wide enough for two skis, keep on going until you hit the last and most vicious left, you’ll be travelling a bit here, but don’t worry, you’ll be relieved at seeing another clearing and plenty of room to brush of some speed. Good place to take a well earned breather and mentally prepare for the final decent.

Now, the beauty of Les Arcs is there is always more than one way down. From the clearing here, if you’ve had enough of trees, you can cut to the right, across the rolling meadow and down to Belvedere. For the more adventurous follow the track to the left and pick a path through the trees. There are many, and all end up dissecting La Foret or Belvedere.
The crucial part of this exciting route is, that you don’t actually cross La Foret or Belvedere as you would end up heading down towards Les Charmettes. Although this may be so very tempting after such an exhilarating experience previously, you would be advised to refrain from further decent in aformention direction, as apparently, the skidoo ride back is very expensive.

Very Happy
snow report
'Routiere de la Rat’ !!! HAHA!!!

Toofy Grin
snow report
allanm, Nice route I agree, thanks for posting this one. Was on my list of routes to share.

Suitable for most people if you have good control or you might hit a tree, as Allan says it does get quite tight in places. Short skis help. But most people trying to follow this track tend to get lost in the forest the first time and end up on one of the different tracks. Good thing is as long as you remember not to cross the piste when you hit it and turn left you end up at the lifts in Vallandry without walking no matter where you come out of the forest.

Not much risk of avalanche in there, but you can get hurt by the trees. So you do need to take care as some places are quite a trek to get back to the piste.
latest report
Yesterday Allan shared one of the easier routes in the trees with you so today I thought I should add a little Video of one of my most favourite areas to ski in the trees. Who needs to go to Canada or the USA for tree skiing when we have this in Les Arcs. Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&hl=en&v=FXkzP93zxCw

Not me in the video, Theo again, he does it all so well. But on a snowy day, you will have a good chance of finding a few of us in this forest. Steep and deep but really fun. Toofy Grin
snow report
New one for today.

Who remembers the old black runs off the road at the top of the AR. Well there is one run black nature ride called Genepy that is still there, but if you go further left you can go down nearer to the Cascades cliffs but still stay on the big powder field and ski all the way down the left off piste to the Arc 2000 bowl.

Although it is easy to see this area, remember it is off piste and you can get caught by avalanches here from above cascades so take your gear and keep aware of snow from above.

This area can also be accessed from the top of the Lanchettes Chair. As you come off the chair, turn right and traverse across to the off piste area and carry on down. There are loads of different lines but mind out for the rocks it can be quite tricky after a windy day.

If anyone that likes to ski with Ski Club GB reps (now leaders) are reading this, none of the routes that have been mentioned in this thread are suitable for their leaders since their rules changed according to what I have been told now except this last one, maybe, but then only if you are all carrying full arvi kit as this is an avalanche area. Going anywhere that has been described already without proper kit would cause you serious trouble with the local authorities if there were to be an accident. The piste security in Les Arcs thinks that anyone going off piste without the right gear is putting themselves and his rescuers at unnecessary extra risk.
snow report
Here's another Video just to keep you all in the mood Toofy Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&v=wQnZyY7oOA8

Thibaud Duchosal plus others again. Off piste behind the Aiguille Rouge and a few other spots. Toofy Grin

Enjoy Very Happy
ski holidays
For those that like looking at the cool videos. Here are a few more I have found on youtube, so not me.

Val d'Isere (From youtube)

http://youtube.com/v/Rn04ZgoJUJ8

http://youtube.com/v/zlzlQM5oonA

How many places can you name on these mixes?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 30-11-10 20:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
And here are some of my favorite routes to go with the Video links of Val d'Isere I have just added:

Le Col Pers (Pissaillas), Le Grand Vallon (Fornet), Le Vallon de Cugnai (Solaise), Le Tour du Charvet (Bellevarde), La Vallee Perdue (La Daille), Le Tour de Pramecou (Grand Motte), Les Cretes du Genepy (Val Claret), Le Pas de la Toviere (Lavachet), Le Vallon du Sache (Les Brevieres) and Peisey vers Le Col de la Tourne (Peisey Vallandry). Another great trip is the Descente sur Bonneval (bonneval), but you do need to share the cost of the helicopter to get back or have a very long taxi ride. Other good routes are Point Pers, Monitors Couloir and Mickies Ear, Chardonnet + Arete and B1 to 3 plus Pisteurs Couloir. All very fun but quite a challenge in places (thanks to another person for reminding me about the last few routes, I had not added them to start with, take care they are difficult).

Did you spot many of these on the videos I added?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy