Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

occassional touring ski/binding

Poster: A snowHead
Okay, having been skiing for five years now (couple of weeks a year) I'm looking to get some new skis for this season. Have been on Heads with 72mm waist for the last 3 years but am enjoying off-piste since doing an off-piste course in Risoul in April. Ski wise I've decided to plump for some Salomon Lords in 177 (I'm 5ft 11, 70kg). The thing is the idea of doing a bit of touring really appeals but at the moment all holidays are with the family so multi day trips not on the agenda for now. However the idea of getting away from the lifts or even just heading up hill occasionally for the experience/exercise appeals a lot.
So, I'm wondering if setting the lords up with a set of touring bindings would give me a bit of adaptability without loosing downhill performance and if so which ones would people recommend? Any advice from those who know far more than I do much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Marker Barons or Dukes depending on what you can get the best price on. More of an alpine binding with a walk mode rather than a dedicated tourer.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gorilla, +1
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stoatsbrother, +1
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, +3
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
philipb wrote:
.....Ski wise I've decided to plump for some Salomon Lords.....

I sell Araldite when you're in the market wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gorilla, many thanks for the advice I'll take a look for some Markers.
Stoatsbrother, SMALLZOOKEEPER and clarky999 I've no idea what you are on about - some in joke perhaps?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
philipb, the + 1 is someone agreeing with the other poster. So if I said posted:

philipb +1

I would be agreeing with your advice, ie there are now two of us saying the same thing.

See what I did there?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fair enough, makes sense! Looks like I should be shopping for some Marker bindings tomorrow then.

spyderjohn , I guess your'e telling me the Lords don't have a great reputation for longevity right? I've heard that elsewhere but have to admit am being offered a good deal and tried them out and liked them last year, also will be doing 3 weeks a year max for the next couple of years or so and hoping they will keep me going for a while.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Slight hijack here, but any thoughts on the Marker Tour bindings vs the Duke/Baron? I'm looking at a straight choice between the Baron and the F12. Will be for all-round off-piste use - short climbs and steep descents plus occasional longer tours.

I'm fairly heavy (90kg naked!) but, at the moment, nothing special on skis (very experienced off-piste snowboarder and want to push my skiing this year both for fitness through the touring and just for fun!). Live in a resort so will hopefully come on quickly!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
philipb, I think Jon is implying that the cores aren't the strongest ever made. Don't worry about him, he likes the business. Apart from being a little anorexic (and short) they sound like an OK ski for you.

stevomcd, The F12 and Baron retail for the same price here in Canada.

If the split was 50/50 between touring and skiing I would say F12. The fact that you do more skiing makes me want to suggest the Barons, however, "occasional longer tours" makes me think the F12 would be better.

I think both will work for you. The Baron is heavier but at 90kg I'm gonna say a few grams on your feet isn't going to make much difference... Go for the Barons, it will help you shed the extra pounds quicker! Wink

Haha, did that help? Doubt it. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stevo - 3 years in the alps and you have finally seen the light side Wink

Depends what you want out of learning to ski...
If you want to learn to ski to make touring easier then go F12 - or even better dynafit.
If you want to learn to ski for zipping around powder stashes in St Foy then Baron every time.

From what I have read (no real world experience) the F12 is primarily a Fritshci competitor.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From feeling them up in a shop the other week, the F12's seem flimsy - personally I wouldn't have much confidence in them. The new Fritschi Freerides were next to them in them, and definitely seem stronger/better to me. I reckon if your mainly doing short hikes for you lines, the barons/dukes are probably the best ebt though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers guys, I'm leaning towards the Barons for sure!

No extra weight here, I am a honed and toned pro mountain bike guide. I just happen to be buillt like the proverbial brick maison-dehors! wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haggis_Trap, been skiing since I moved out here, but I'm definitely still a snowboarder at heart. I want to do some Haute-Route type trips and I still hold vague aspirations to getting my instructor's ticket, both of which are going to require sharpening up my skiing a bit! You should come out some and I'll show you around. It's awesome here - not quite La Grave, but I doubt we'd run much of a chalet business over there! Really got to get down there this season though.

Pretty lucky actually, we've got a good relationship with a local instructor and we put a lot of work his way, so I get free lessons now and then!

Investment in my own kit has been provoked by now getting a few direct/trade deals! Blush
snow report
Stevomcd will be be putting my Rossi Sleeze 185's avec Marker Dukes on Fleabay soon along with skins - could well be the setup for you - I think I was a bit too light / small for them at 75Kgs

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/rossignol-scratch-steeze-ski-reviews
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
From feeling them up in a shop the other week, the F12's seem flimsy - personally I wouldn't have much confidence in them. The new Fritschi Freerides were next to them in them, and definitely seem stronger/better to me. I reckon if your mainly doing short hikes for you lines, the barons/dukes are probably the best ebt though.

Uh-huh. rolling eyes

There is nothing "flimsy" about the F12s. Compare them to the original Freerides and it makes them seem like race binders, I know plenty of people who put the old Freerides through their paces.

It's like saying that you don't trust the four little pins on Dynafits - which I would take over all of the other AT bindings out there...

Not feeling "flimsy" comes at a cost... if you need Burly buy Dukes.

Lou Dawson wrote:
the Marker indeed gives you a full-on wide stance alpine type binding that tours

Lou ^ nails it for the F12.
latest report
Quote:

There is nothing "flimsy" about the F12s. Compare them to the original Freerides and it makes them seem like race binders, I know plenty of people who put the old Freerides through their paces

Have you felt them up yet? I really don't ski all that hard, but they just don't inspire me with confidence. Don't seem built for longevity. Guess time will tell though.
snow report
clarky999, no, I randomly post things on the internet without having a second thought about it. Wink

Of course I've felt them: 1) It's gear. 2) It's new gear. I've had my greasy paws on them before they became production model. I'm not a plastics expert but the production model I've now played with felt awesome - same weight as the Freerides but it just feels like a stronger binding. Downside are the climbing bar and having to take your ski off to engage / disengage - if that's your thing.
latest report
Any thoughs on BCA Alpine Treckers? http://www.backcountryaccess.com/french/products/alpine_trekker.php
ski holidays
MontriondSkier wrote:
Any thoughs on BCA Alpine Treckers? http://www.backcountryaccess.com/french/products/alpine_trekker.php

People call the Alpine Wreckers or Day Wreckers. They can be great for slack country. Doing long tours will be a big no-no as they are heavy and ungainly.

The funny thing is you will hear all sorts of "bad things" about them but SO many pro's use them so that they can access the goods and then ski hardcore lines on there regular alpine bindings.

It's a horses for courses thing...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy