Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski goggles - Oakley, Spy, Dragon, Zeal?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm slowly getting all my kit in order with your help - thanks guys. I've bought some NF trousers for £105 delivered and some Dakine gloves are on their way for £45.

What I now need is some goggles. My philosophy has always been to buy the best I can afford and then not buy again for years, but equally I don't want to overspend if I don't need to.

I know nothing about goggles, so would appreciate some advice.

Out of Oakley, Spy, Dragon and Zeal - does any one of these stand out or are they all pretty much the same?

Also, is there a massive difference between mid-range stuff and the top line apart from some funky designs?

Random selection of the ones that I quite like the look of, although I know nothing about what I should be looking at functionality wise:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dragon-2011-goggles-DX-Powder-Ionized-bonus-Amber-/350411848032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51962c7960

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DRAGON-GOGGLE-DX-JET-GOLD-ION-LENS-FREE-US-SHIPPING-/220694423484?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336269a7bc

http://cgi.ebay.com/DRAGON-DX-SNOW-SKI-GOGGLES-COAL-W-IONIZED-AMBER-/290494095503?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a2cc208f

Any advice appreciated.

Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
smith
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno hi, thank you for the reply - any particular Smith or something midrange is perfectly adequate? Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Smith or Scott. Double lens (which almost all will be) Anything else is at least likely to contain an element of fashion premium. I like the Smith Gold Lite lens and the Scott Amplifier lens personally but you can just go with whatever framestyle you fancy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i've always liked the prodigy but it's a matter of taste really. that model was discontinued last year so you might find some deals floating round on the interweb

you should give some thought to lenses. will you be wearing them all the time or only on flat light/snowy weather? i wear mine all the time while i am skiing and find the ignitor mirror lens to be amazingly versatile.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for steering me in the right direction guys. Very Happy

I found some Smith Prodigy models on eBay USA, so will get one of those I think.

I tend to wear mine all the time when skiing.

Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is what I'm gonna get I think:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290489344348&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Madmax, funnily enough i have my eye on a pair of those too!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi,

I have recently brought some Dragon Rouge Googles from www.boardshop.co.uk
for £50 Very Happy

They had some other deals on there also. much cheaper than the other places i have been looking.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno wrote:
Madmax, funnily enough i have my eye on a pair of those too!

A man with taste Very Happy

But yeh, unless peple advise otherwise, I will buy those when I get in later today.

Gotta say, this sport is bloody expensive!
Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had Smith, Oakley and Bolle Goggles in recent years, ot these Bolle and Oakley were of similar performance and both were better than Smith, Oakley have a very good rep for fixing their products if they get damaged, but that said I never managed to damage my Bolle ones
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't buy based on brand alone. Buy based on these criteria (in order of importance):

1. Fit (to face/head)
2. Fit (to helmet if you wear one)
3. Optics (cheaper flat lenses distort and will give you a headache by the end of the day)
4. Lens coatings / Lens options for changing conditions. At the end of the day these are supposed to protect your eyes from snow blindness, etc.
5. Ventilation (affected by fit with helmet) Double lenses are MUCH better for anti-fog
6. Style (Usually linked with brand)

Most top brands (like the ones you mentioned) have good and not so good products.

Personally, I use Smith I/0 but that's mostly because of fit. I think others "look" better. Oakley are just too small for my big head!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Madmax,

Oakleys = Amazing quality

Dragon = Looks AWESOME, and of course good quality

Also i have some goggles by ANON OPTICS, they look so cool. Go for whatever is comfortable and cool.

Edit, Look for POLARISED goggles !

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have had a pair of zeal dominators for a couple of years now, really happy with them and polarized spherical lens as well! Also came with a low light lens and they have excellent ventilation.

Think I picked them up for about 65 quid, not sure what their current range is though (assuming new models etc)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have had a pair of zeal dominators for a couple of years now, really happy with them and polarized spherical lens as well! Also came with a low light lens and they have excellent ventilation.

Think I picked them up for about 65 quid, not sure what their current range is though (assuming new models etc)
snow report
My Smith ones bought two years ago have been very good with two lens. Check them out and find one you like as tons of colours an designs. About £80.
snow conditions
I've had Smith Phenoms for the last few years and will be getting a new pair this season. Best goggles I've ever had by some distance.
latest report
I'm using crowbars myself. Have used them for 3 holidays. Very comfy goggles, do everything i want them too and very well made as with all oakley eye wear.
snow conditions
Oakly for sheer quality and fit. Bolle Modulator for most flexoble and usefull lenses
snow report
A-Frame is my friend - fit and function, and can get replacement lenses pretty much anywhere...
snow conditions
I'm really pleased with my sundown goggles. Only £35, curved double lens and good in flat light.
http://www.sundownsports.co.uk/GogglesStorm.htm
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy