Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where is the snow going to be before Christmas?

Poster: A snowHead
I have just booked flights to Switzerland on the 18th return on the 24th. I needed to get away!!

I have not picked a resort due to the unknown conditions so will be keeping a watchfull eye. I would much appreciate real snow reports from anyone in resorts in France and Switzerland.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Downhill Sailor, 18-24 of what? Flying to where? And why do you need to get away? What have you done? Questions, questions, questions...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
December!
I need a snow fix, and a couple of other reasons! mainly I need to get away from jingle bells!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Best conditions will be on the upper slopes wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

mainly I need to get away from jingle bells!

then you're coming back far too soon....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Without knowing which airport, going to recommend The Alps.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

mainly I need to get away from jingle bells!

Heading towards the Alps is not likely to be jingle free

Have you thought about using snow-forcast.com as a guide to where the snow might be?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pacific North West.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parlor wrote:
Pacific North West.

Which part of France is that in?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sierra Nevada where I'll be for the season Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have used snow reports in the past and especially the SCGB information was basically lies. Or the person doing the report did not know how to measure snow. I do not trust them!
It is much better to get an independent report. Hopefully you guys will not keep it quiegt if a particular resort has had a big dump. I promise not to steal your line!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Downhill Sailor, snow-forecast.com just uses a computer generated forecast based on the pictures being painted by the various weather models. If you understand the limitations, it's not a bad service. Or read the weather outlook thread on here where the very complex picture is helpfully interpreted for you by people who have spent a bit of time and effort to understand the system and know a bit about meteorology.

You can be sure there will be reports of big snow dumps. You can be equally sure that whilst snow is better than no snow, snow in November doesn't necessarily give you much of a feel for snow at Christmas. Nobody who knows about weather will pretend to be giving you sure-fire information when they make forecasts.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Downhill Sailor, Nobody can really answer this question right now. Go to a glacier resort if you want to be sure. otherwise just wait and see. But I am sure many people will tell you places are great after the next few days. It is raining in the valleys right now. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

But I am sure many people will tell you places are great after the next few days.

Yes, I'm sure they will too, as it's forecast to snow to reasonably low altitudes. Still doesn't stop it melting in a couple of weeks, though. As snowcrazy says, you need to wait and see or go to a glacier resort. snow before Christmas is always a gamble (snow AT Christmas is a gamble too). sometimes terrific, sometimes loadsa grass.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Places are getting booked up so I may not have the choice of resorts that I hoped. Still I have had luck at this time before so hopefully it will work out.
snow report
I am going to head to Engelberg unless there is a lot more snow somewhere else
snow conditions
pam w, ... ever the pessimist Laughing Laughing

Been out here since 2006 ... multiple resorts always open in December.
ski holidays
I'm not a pessimist - far from it. But mindless optimism isn't much help either when people are seeking objective advice. My memory might be longer than yours; since I started going on ski holidays over 20 years ago I have certainly known some very grassy times before Christmas and having spent every season since 2002 in the Alps I am only too familiar with the "will it/won't it" nervous waiting in early December. Yes, many resorts will be open - doesn't mean they'll always have great snow down to low altitudes. As snowcrazy says, if someone is determined to book in mid November and wants to be sure, their best bet is to go for a glacier resort.

Things might get quite a lot warmer next week; a lot can change - for good or ill - between now and then. A couple of years ago despite good early snow many resorts suffered quite severe rain before Christmas and a number of lower areas were either closed or horribly slushy.

If people want to read "optimistic" resort reports which talk up the "guaranteed snow" they can read TO brochures rather than snowheads. wink
latest report
flangesax, pam w, I've skied every Christmas in the Alps since the 1970s when I finally left home and could chose my location. Prior to that I skied when I could at Christmas, mostly in Switzerland or Scotland.

I've been out here permanently since 1997. Yes, there have been some years where the snow was less than plentiful at Christmas, but even in the most recent of poor years (2007 in Austria) there was plenty of skiing to be had. I can remember 1987/88 season which was a very poor year for the Haute Savoie, even the highest of resorts having problems and the French cancelling holidays left right and centre. I was based in Serre Chevalier for Christmas that season and we skied to and from our base in Villeneuve. In order to convince the Parisians that skiing was definitely possible they loaded up tonnes of snow into refrigerated lorries and dumped it in a mountain under the Tour d'Eiffel then skied it. Good stunt but not many reinstated their holidays at half term as it was the quietest I had ever seen it and had it not been for the Brits many of the hotels would not have survived that particular season. We had a fantastic powder week as well training young racers from the South West in the half term week.

The spread of snow-making facilities has ensured that the bases are solid and well frozen on to the ground and they can maintain the pistes albeit with artificial snow and hard pack. It isn't everyone's cup of tea but when you only have one week to look forward to each year, why not be optimistic. rolling eyes

Downhill Sailor, I've had rain and frozen grass over the years in Switzerland as well - one of the worst being in Leysin in the late 1970s - we had to bus to Les Diablarets and queue for hours to get up in a decrepit cable car and then again for every T-bar on the glacier. But we were skiing. Enjoy your anticipation and optimism. If Switzerland is currently anything like my neck of the woods, you'll have a great time wherever you end up. Cool

snow report
Samerberg Sue, glad to hear that Serre Che was keeping up it's reputation. We had reasonable snow cover 2006/2007 when most of the rest were suffering.
ski holidays
Obergurgl - I hope as that where I'm going

Webcams/forcast looks good
snow report
Quote:

when you only have one week to look forward to each year, why not be optimistic.

when you only have one week to look forward to each year, why not do everything you can to optimise the chance of good conditions and why book well in advance if you don't have to? Once you've booked, then yes, there's no reason not to be hopeful/optimistic. It remains the case, however, that there is less chance of poor snow at higher altitudes and less chance of the kind of misery you describe in Leysin if you do your homework and head to an area with a fair amount of high altitude skiing if you have to go very early (or late) in the season. They can't make snow when it's warm. I have had very slushy conditions in Austria, France and Serbia in early January (I never used to go at Christmas/New Year - too expensive). If people ask for guidance and advice prior to making decisions then why not tell it like it is?

Let's all hope that the weather next week will not be as bad as some forecasts suggest. We have a couple of young "one week a year" friends borrowing our apartment from 18 - 23 December and I fervently hope they'll have great snow - as they did the same week two years ago. It's not a high altitude area though. We have skied back to our apartment till the end of the season (around 23 April) every year since 2002 but the fact remains that I would never recommend it to anyone who just had a week's holiday in mid April. There are some people on snowheads who simply can't admit that "their" pet area or resort isn't perfect in every way. La Rosiere, perfect for non skiers? rolling eyes Les Saisies - a mecca for advanced skiers? rolling eyes
latest report
I have skiied many years around Christmas also, and it is definately not a reliable time to go. I used to go every year as a kid and have had to ski many times on rope tows at the sumit of the mountain. Still this trip for me is just to get the legs in motion.
Three years ago I went to Verbier and although it was vey poor at the beginning with no snow to the village it dumped 3 feet overnight and I think we had one of the best weeks of the season. Last year I went to Laax and it was fine, good cover down to the village. Unfortunately off piste was closed below 2000m as it was very dangerous due to it raining all over the alps up to 4000m. I think 15 people had died in avalanches in Europe at that point. Actually I went to Scotland straight after and it was better! Sunshine and powder snow.

This year looks like it is starting well. I just hope that there is also snow high up as there is plenty dumping low down. Any one got any tips on Engelberg?
snow conditions
I loved Engelberg for the two days I was there. However unless you were to go beyond the pistes, the obvious off piste and the Laub I think it might get a bit repetitive if there for a week. The scenery is stunning and the town pretty enough but horrendously expensive. Apparently the queues can be terrible be we found them to fine on a powder day on Easter Monday.
latest report
Downhill Sailor, so where are you going in the end. Now there is snow everywhere and so much of the stuff that unless it is 20+ degrees during the next week, it should give a good base for the winter season anywhere you choose.
latest report
I have provisionally booked the local hostel in Engelberg. For me all I need is a bed and hot water and no single person supplement.
With a good snowbase now offpiste should be good, hopefully not too many rocks. I hope to go with a guided group to get to the good back country spots. And I hope as it is very early in the season there will not be too many people on the mountain.
If I get boared there is always Andermatt nearby!
latest report
How bad has the rain made the Alps, has it been very warm?
snow report
Downhill Sailor, haven't been up, but probably raining heavily to 2,300 or so. Big avalanche warnings abound.

It's only the 6th of December... rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

How bad has the rain made the Alps

it's only just started - ask in a few days. We'll have to hope there's some snow after, to freshen things up - should be at least a bit. I don't think it's been so rainy further east - maybe Austria will be better.

But there are several weeks to go before Christmas.
snow conditions
pam w, it's forecast to get colder again Thursday with a little solid precip friday (IIRC) but tellingly, Cham Meteo have pulled their confidence all the way in...
ski holidays
Well I found it!!

Saturday was epic with at least 50cm on a firm base, just a shame it was the first day and the legs were not producing.

The week got a bit warm with a strong fawn wind which stripped the mountain of a lot of snow. I have just left the resort and it has been dumping so Saturday could be the same as last week with good powder.
I think I need to go back later in the season as this resort has great potential, those massive back country runs have to be skied.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy