Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good b & b around Borge en Bresse

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there. I am driving to Les Carroz in late Jan or early Feb, and want to break my journey 1 to 2 hours away from there, so I can roll in at the crack of dawn; well, mid morning ! Has anyone got a chambre d`hote that they recommend ? If it`s near somewhere picturesque, or a good restaurant all the better.
Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you can`t all have driven straight there ?!! Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cstreat, no, but I'm not sure too many of us have stayed near Bourg en Bresse, Reims and Dijon seem to be more favoured, or very close to the slopes. Thread below on the Jura I started in the summer, there might be something there.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1538863&highlight=jura#1538863
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I stayed in Bourg en Bresse on the way down this summer, I shall not be going back, Dijon, Beaune are far nicer towns to stay with a wider choice of restaurants.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cstreat, I stayed there one year - we selected a hotel using the Logis de France catalogue (no internet then) We were not disappointed but I cannot remember the name.

Logis de France have an excellent web site and the standard of hotels is generally pretty good. I used it again this summer to plan and book my hotels for a trip of 2 weeks in June.

We chose it because we wanted to get an extra day on the slopes, left earlyish and had a full day's skiing before checking into our hotel in the resort (Les Carroz)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice roast chicken at Bourg en Bresse!

I appreciate that it's not exactly what you're looking for, but there is an ETAP hotel (I think, maybe another brand) at the autoroute service station 'Aire de Poulet de Bresse' - the one with the giant wire chicken statue on the autoroute.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Following on from Whitters, Accor hotels http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/home/index.shtml run the Formule 1 and ETAP hotels so it might be worth a look there.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can find all of the Chambre-d'hotes registered with Gites de France on this site http://www.gites-de-france.com/gites/fr/chambres_d_hotes We used to be registered with them (got too expensive), and if you go for a 3 wheat thingys or higher they should be great as they are strict on thier entrys and try to ensure a good level from their members.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I appreciate that it's not exactly what you're looking for, but there is an ETAP hotel (I think, maybe another brand) at the autoroute service station 'Aire de Poulet de Bresse'

One of the aires a bit further south has a hotel too - can't remember the name, the hotel has a rather curious duck pond outside, which is probably charming in summer but very dejected and gloomy in winter.

We stayed there once when forced off the autoroute by heavy snow, on the way north. It's totally unexciting, of course, but convenient. As we don't usually stop till about 10 and get going before breakfast I am not generally looking for anything too exciting. In the summer it's different.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We travel to Les Carroz three times a year. Driving down from Calais (arrive about 1430) on Friday we have stayed at both Ibis and Etap hotels at Macon (Sud). Ibis has a Courtpaille restaurant next door and was open until/past 2200, think we arrive about 2100 or so depending. Only a couple of hours (if that) to Cluses and we have unpacked, changed and been skiing by 1200 Sat.

A sparrow fart start, ski kit on, could have you waiting for the lifts to open.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 13-11-10 16:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Driving from Calais to Les Carroz I wouldn't go via Macon. I prefer to avoid the ghastly A6 and go down through Dijon/Bourg en Bresse further east.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you want something nice, but not (generally) too expensive go on Sawday's "Special places to Stay" http://www.sawdays.co.uk/ and click on Maps. When you have clicked down to the Ain area of France try clicking on the yellow blobs and then click on the name for details. Only members get the full write-up but you get a good idea with the short write-ups and photo (+ prices, of course).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I never managed to find anywhere very suitable for stopping en route the Alps in Sawday. I gave up looking after a bit and just use the internet and some tips from snowheads.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I`ve done the budget hotel; snot on blankets, bogeys on bedside table and room stinking of cigarettes! Stayed in fantasic chambre d`hotes either side of Chambury, and loved central Chambury. No towns like that on the way to Les Carroz to have a nice evening in before hitting the slopes?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
is Annency too far off the route ? Puzzled
latest report
cstreat, I think you'll find that 'net based searching is far more effective if you actually spell the place names correctly?

Although, to be fair, you aren't the only one with a surplus of "n"s... rolling eyes

The Best Western in Bourg en Bresse is surprisingly good, and has a surprisingly good restaurant. the roast chicken is not as fantastic as the locals would like to claim, but it was OK.

Actually my chicken van man's is much better and there are no local legends about him, yet.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I never managed to find anywhere very suitable for stopping en route the Alps in Sawday. I gave up looking after a bit and just use the internet and some tips from snowheads.
Well, as you can see there are loads along near the A6 near Macon (and a few a bit south of the Macon / Bourg road) if you click on the Ain region. For example http://www.sawdays.co.uk/search/display.php?BookID=FBB1413&PlaceID=PL61673
I haven't looked at them in detail but I've never found anything in Sawday that wasn't nice. Admittedly some of them look very special: are they too expensive? Price they give on here is for 2 people sharing a room in high season.
snow report
under a new name, I`ll stand in the corner and write the correct spelling 100 times rolling eyes I don`t know ; people who cannot spell place names in a country 1000`s of miles from their birthplace. Laughing The internet was designed for people who mis- spell !!
Thanks for all your advice. Is Bourg centre ville worth walking round in the evening?
snow report
Is Bourg centre ville worth walking round in the evening? Not in my opinion stayed in the Ibis during the summer walked into town to sample the chicken and was very disappointed.
ski holidays
Beaune is well worth a visit. If we wanted to overnight that far south we would go via Beaune and not Bourg I think.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Driving from Calais to Les Carroz I wouldn't go via Macon. I prefer to avoid the ghastly A6 and go down through Dijon/Bourg en Bresse further east.

We have used the A6 because in our early days of driving down we travelled from Le Havre which draws you that way and we have stuck with what we know, we do return via the Eastern route though and whilst we have never really had any probs on the A6 the other way does seem less busy.

We have a trip booked in Jan so may well try the A39 and stop at Bourg-en-Bresse.
latest report
Quote:

loads along near the A6 near Macon

yes, but I wouldn't stop that far south. From B en B it's just a few more hours and we're there! I agree that Beaune is much more worth a stop than Bourg-en-Bresse. I used to go down from Le Havre too when that crossing was free with Tesco vouchers (as I live a few minutes from the Portsmouth ferry port) but from Calais the A39 makes more sense.

If you want to stop at around that latitude you could try Dole.
ski holidays
pam w, Macon/B-e-B are good. May get there late on Fri but very short trip Sat and could be waiting for lifts at Les Carroz by 0900, with an early start. Staying too far north eats too much into Saturday so for the sake of a longer drive Friday night we get almost seven full days skiing.
ski holidays
And there's a list of Dole area hotels in my post near the top of the thread.
latest report
Basil, because we have our own place we generally just drive, and get there quite late. Never at a weekend. wink But sometimes - particularly in summer - it's nice to break up the journey and stop early enough to have a walk in the late afternoon/evening, before dinner. We enjoyed a stay in Langres - you can walk right around the town walls. If aiming to get on the first lifts I'd personally tend to stop much nearer the resort, and not have to get up at the crack of dawn. We stayed in Macon, going north, on a sunday, because we had tyre problems and there wasn't a single place open to get it fixed. Macon was a bit of a disappointment though we found a nice hotel - by accident.
snow report
pam w, I would drive straight there myself but have a wife and 2 kids to consider so a stop over works well for us and we get the extra days skiing. Might consider a different way of doing it in the summer but... we is goin' skiing innit! snowHead
snow report
cstreat, We've stayed here & had a nice meal in the evening. Its a lovely little town.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=93477

You can also reserve a space in their garage if you dont feel like emptying your car, or leaving everything on show Very Happy
latest report
cstreat, you get my vote for best interpipe spelling intrechange yet. or idi I mean intrechange?

Anyway, Bg-en-Be is OK in my book.

I'd stay there again - easily
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I`m going to go for a b and b about 1 hour or so away from Les Carroz. www.chambresdhotes.org is a good site to try.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy