Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good resorts for end of Jan for 4 intermediate blokes

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

I am looking for suggestions for a group if about four men (late 30s / early 40s, but like a good night out). We are all intermediates and are looking for good snow / weather, with a fairly extensive area.

We also want good apres ski but it doesn't have to be mad, just a friendly, lively atmosphere.

Last year we went to Sauze D'Oulx which was ideal as we had great snow and weather (we were lucky). Previously we went to Serre Chevalier which was great for skiing but a bit too quiet at night. Tried Pas de la Casa as well, but had crap weather and it was a bit tacky!

Also, we dont want to paying through the nose for a beer!

Any suggestions? So far I'm considering Les 2 Alpes, Mayrhofen, Tignes, Alpe D'Huez...

We're going in the last week of Jan.

Thanks for your help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mayrhofen and Saalbach should fit the bill. St Anton and Ischgl would also do very nicely but a beer will set you back €5 a pint compared with say €3.50 a go in Saalbach or Mayrhofen
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mayrhofen is sounding good to me. Not looked into Saalbach yet, but I'll check it out.

Is Austria always better than France for apres?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you don't want tacky, stay away from Les Deux Alpes...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpe D'Huez and Meribel spring to mind, Meribel not as expensive as you might think, alot of bars do happy hours.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 22-11-10 11:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Adam__1968, welcome to snowHead
Good resorts for end of Jan for 4 intermediate blokes
sounds like pre op transsexuals wink

Were not really allowed to mention Bulgaria here but I've heard it has cheap beer & cut price surgery but without guarantee.
Tajikistan reputably has the cheapest beer at £0.25 a pint http://www.pintprice.com/ but the infrastructure is not great

To be constructive
In my opinion Austria is best for après and generally cheaper than France. Sölden is good for drinking and the skiing isn’t bad.
If beer price is a major issue you might consider Andorra. You have to make your own guess on snow/weather.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
St Anton..... Simples
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Adam__1968, + 1 for Mayrhofen - look out for the Sports Bar, Strass Hotel (up by near the main lift) where each year they have a resident singer/guitar player Brian Cristopher - he's awesome and a semi-legend there. Always a good night. There are, of course, plenty of other good places. Oh, and the skiing is pretty good too.... snowHead

Plenty of other useful info on Mayrhofen if you use the search function.

Alpe d'Huez is another I'd also recommend from your list for great skiing and the odd lively bar...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tommy4681, all ski resorts are tacky by their very nature but I don't understand why you'd think that L2A was more tacky than any other Euro megaresort overrun by Brits and Germans. Personally I can't think why people rave about for example; St Anton's crass as a farting dog Mooserwirt, the huge plastic restaurants with mountain views above La Plagne, the convenience of the new town concrete sprawling snowfront at AdH, or the false ambience of scores of misguidedly themed pose bars & eateries in Courchevel. L2A on the other hand actually has some really nice places to eat and drink where you're unlikely to hear anything other than a French voice all night.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the suggestions. Just spoke to my mate and he's more concerned about quality skiing rather than rowdy apres, which I agree with.

Happy hours in Meribel sound interesting. Just a bit concerned with Austria as I believe it isn't as snow sure as some of the French resorts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Adam__1968 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Just spoke to my mate and he's more concerned about quality skiing rather than rowdy apres, which I agree with.

Happy hours in Meribel sound interesting. Just a bit concerned with Austria as I believe it isn't as snow sure as some of the French resorts.

I had a long weekend last year, ideal base for the 3valleys. Cannot recommend enough.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mayrhofen and/or the other resorts along Zillertal (Zell am Ziller, Hochzillertal-Hochfugen). Lots of intermediate slopes, not too tacky, high enough not to be much of a risk for January. Also Hintertux Glacier at the end of the valley if you want to go up to 3000m.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Adam__1968 wrote:
Just a bit concerned with Austria as I believe it isn't as snow sure as some of the French resorts.

No no no! Get yourselves along to Mayrhofen - you'll have a ball and great skiing snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You've been to Italy, France and Andorra - try Austria now.

Ischgl has brilliant piste skiing, perfect for you guys and lively friendly non yobbish apres.

Super fast lifts too. great, great place and I've been to loads snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm definitely being swayed to Austria now....
snow conditions
Courmayeur. Good intermediate skiing and access to vallee blanche to chamonix. Had some great nights out there and too much grappa!
snow report
Quote:

Sensible man! If you've got concerns about snow reliability, consult historical snow reports on www.skiclub.co.uk The end of Jan should be no problem in any self-respecting resort, particularly (i.e. even in unusual snow drought conditions) in these days of state of the art snow-making technology. Austria, being further from the warming influence of the Atlantic Ocean, frequently has better snow than the western Alps, and it doesn't need the same height - although much depends, as ever, on weather patterns and prevailing winds. Villages at 1000m or less are often snow-covered from late November/early December, if not earlier. Last year the serious snow arrived here in mid-December (relatively late), the year before it arrived in late November, the year before that mid-November. Once it's there, the short days and cold temperatures of December and January tend to preserve it, even when the sun is shining.
Be warned though - if you find that you like the apres-ski party atmosphere that is unique to Austria, you may in future be loathe to do without that extra element to your holiday, so think carefully before you take the plunge. There's no point in feeling wistful about the undoubtedly wonderful skiing that France has to offer, once you become addicted to Austrian apres-ski! (I speak from experience!)
ski holidays
I'm French and I'll admit that I prefer the austrian apres-ski atmosphere to the bigger French resorts.
It feels freer, friendlier..and cheaper most of the time.
I have been on trips of 30/40s bloke in january for the last 5 years.
Went to Soll/Skiwelt twice (free accomodation..): small resort but a couple of very nice bars and great ski area for intermediates
Went to Meribel: superb ski area, so much to do ski wise, but didn't find the apres-ski amazing (but not bad either)
Went to Ischgl: that's been my favourite so far. Great mix of good ski area and good apres. A bit dear for Austria but worth it in my opinion.
Went to Kitzbuhel: another good ski area and great village. (just) Apres ski was good but we find that during the week, the bars could be really quiet later on in the evening. all kicked off from the friday onward though..

Before that did many French resorts with family: L2A, Tignes, Vars, Les Orres...
snow report
Adam__1968 wrote:

At least everyone is saying France or Austria, have you had a look at the prices for flights and accomadation?
ski holidays
Courmayeur was in Italy when I was last there.
snow report
I'd say Saalbach or Ischgl will fit the bill, the quality of skiing in Ischgl is perhaps a tad higher, but beer is also a fair bit more expensive. From what I've heard of Mayrhofen that should be good too. St Anton could be an option, but tbh I reckon the pistes there are (in general) fairly average. Apart from the red down form the Schindler
Quote:

Just a bit concerned with Austria as I believe it isn't as snow sure as some of the French resorts.

Lies, that's the joy on continentiality. With the French Alps being closer to the sea the area is generally more temperate, thus you have to go higher to get the snow. If quality of snow is you're concern, St Anton and Stuben have probably the lightest driest (and likely most) snow in the Alps.

Quote:

St Anton's crass as a farting dog Mooserwirt

Sacriledge. The atmosphere in the mooser is incredible, guess you just have to learn to love the awesomely cheesy music though.
ski holidays
Quote:

awesomely cheesy

Hey,wir woll'n die Eisbaeren sehen?
ski holidays
Saalbach.
latest report
snowymum wrote:
Courmayeur was in Italy when I was last there.

Sorry missed your bit, you are absolutely correct, as you already know. Every on else seemed to be on the France / Austria thread. Very Happy
latest report
Try here Chatel. Brilliant and you won't be disappointed been on several boys trips and family trips with Connickski. Cheap flights to Geneva, 60 mins transfer and most varied skiing going. Don't let anyone tell you the skiing is low so dodgy for cover. Once it's got it ( which it always has ) it keeps it and won't be shut because of high winds and no white-outs all the time.
www.connickski.com
latest report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

awesomely cheesy

Hey,wir woll'n die Eisbaeren sehen?

OHOHOH OHO! Smile
ski holidays
Saalbach - brilliant Apres Ski! and the skiing is good too. We are going back for our 2nd trip in a row to Saalbach at the end of Jan (group of blokes). Beer is reasonable and food on the mountain was brilliant and good value (good hangover nosh at lunchtime).

Austria definitely beats France hands down on the Apres Ski.

LOVE IT!!
ski holidays
why not try Bansko in Bulgaria...not the biggest ski area but great for intermediates & will have snow in January....great apres ski for families with plenty of character & traditional restaurants that you can get a beer in for just over a £1.00..also a few English style pub bars with sky tv if you love your sport & with the state of the art gondola that was put in a couple of years back you can have a great ski holiday for a small budget..if you need anymore details pm me Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robboj, I wondered if anyone would join in the refrain!
blondends, Hi Chris, hope you found somewhere to stay, and also that you received the information I sent you (and, if you did, that you'll find it useful).
ski holidays
you could do worse that Livigno
great night life
snow report
cockerhoop, You could not do worse than Livigno, worse place I have skied!
latest report
Mayrhofen. If you are out between 26 and 30 Jan, you are bound to bump into our group of late forties boys in Nikki's Schirm Bar or Scotland Yard. For Apres, it has to be Nicki's Smile
snow report
I would also recommend the Bankso in Bulgaria Ski Resort. I learned to ski here, Its a small resort which suited my needs and my ski instructor was a Bulgarian Olympic skier so there was plenty of experience. Intermediates would also do well here, I may have said already but don't go if your an expert skier looking for a proper challenge.
Burton snowboards

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 19-11-10 22:55; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Adam__1968, isghl would fit your bill very nicely, get a guide and explore to vast lift served off piste Very Happy
ski holidays
St Anton - go with SuperTravel, stay at Chalet Rosanna, they do weekend breaks. Job done.
snow conditions
You have to try Austria, any of: Saalbach, St Anton, Ischgl or Mayrhofen!

There are good deals for January to Mayrhofen.
snow report
Mayrhofen was the first resort I ever went to waaaay back in early 80's and I skied 75% of it then, and that was with being in ski skool and when boots were made of leather.

4 confident inters will murder the place in 2 days... OK if you've got transport and can try other places in the Zillertal but otherwise I think it's too limited.

OP has long gone though of course - it's just us lot chatting away pointlessly Laughing snowHead
snow report
red 27, no need for a car, last time I was there (10 years ago), the train up and down the valley was included in the area pass (as was the coach up to Hintertux), and very efficient it was too.
latest report
Dr John, Ah, right - it was a long time ago! That might do the trick then, depending on the parties attitude to 'commuting'
snow conditions
red 27, commuting was no problem. Our hotel was 5 minutes to the station, and the furthest pass-included resort was about 20 minutes, if my addled mind recalls correctly. One thing to bear in mind, however, is ensuring you make it back down the correct side of the hill at the end of the day. We ended up christ knows where one day, and it took 3 buses (should have been 2, but we got the first one going the wrong way), a long wait, and a train to get us back to Mayrhofen for about 10pm. It was to a hero's welcome, but still...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy