Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telepeage battery life

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So for the once or twice you bomb off down the French motorway and creep with some trepidation towards the auto telepeage barrier closer and closer - will it go go bleep and let you though, or will you have to reverse like a chump in front of all the other Brit registered cars that you've just zoomed past queuing to pay by other means?

Does anyone know how long the batteries last and what you have to do when it finally stops working please? Can you pre-empt battery expiry by asking for a replacement? Has anyone out there been through the process and knows what you have to do please? Mine must be 5 years old if its a day - how much longer will it last please?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, Yes the 'bleeping noise changes and almost becomes a wail of agony. When this happens the battery is going flat but just stop at the next office and they will replace the battery for you free of charge.

Andy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, I have one for about 8 years, and no battery problems yet
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, If it stops working simply wave your box out of the window and a nice french assistant will come over and (help) shout at you Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hehe, myself and a friend used them this year for the first time on a weekend away at Le Mans.

Worked like clockwork...however as my friend found out, removing it from view is useful only at the supermarket if you actually re-attach it BEFORE you get close to the booth and realise. Despite minutes of waiving, general mutterings about running it over and french technology it just wouldn't sense it and open the barrier. By which point i'd legged it away from the booth and was about to join the autoroute. Thankfully i had time to carefully reverse back towards the barrier and placate the small queue forming while he and a lovely french lady talked to the helpline.

It didnt work so he was told to take a ticket, then at the exit, give the ticket and the transponder to the booth attendent who checked it over and waived him on his way Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Apologies for the thread drift

But if you are over 2m high (cos your family means you HAVE TO drive a people carrier and roofbox) can you just drive through the truck lanes with Telepeage?

IN which case why don't the trucks buy one and pay less?

Very tempted to get one as we go down 3/4 times a year, but there are more and more CC lanes which speed up the journey
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boris,
Quote:

more and more CC lanes which speed up the journey

and telepeage lanes crowded with Les Anglais waving their box out of the window Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris, as advised by davidof on this very forum I tried to use the truck lane when on my bike in September. The theory was that the truck lane sensors can determine what type of vehicle you are in or on and charge accordingly. After waving the thing around for a couple of minutes the sensors persisted in denying my existence, so I had to back (foot power) out and troll over to a manned booth to hand over my 1€ piece rolling eyes

Mind you, the truck that pulled in after me was stuck there for a while so maybe it wasn't just me Toofy Grin

After that I gave up and stuck to the RNs, much more pleasant riding than the autoroutes anyway.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have had mine for 6 years now and the battery is still good (used 1x month for business trips down to Paris, plus (bi-)annual French holidays etc.).

Boris - please note you don't get any discount using telepeage, just convenience factor - I no longer put my back out trying to reach tickets / use credit card machine out of passenger sidewindow.

For me the question is why do they only have RHD gates for us at the Calais end of the Peage, surely we need them at each entry/exit - dammed inconsiderate of them !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yoda wrote:
Boris, as advised by davidof on this very forum I tried to use the truck lane when on my bike in September. The theory was that the truck lane sensors can determine what type of vehicle you are in or on and charge accordingly. After waving the thing around for a couple of minutes the sensors persisted in denying my existence, so I had to back (foot power) out and troll over to a manned booth to hand over my 1€ piece rolling eyes

I'm sorry to hear that I put you to a lot of bother. Normally that is how it should work !
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyder_pig,
Quote:

Boris - please note you don't get any discount using telepeage

In actual fact you pay more! as their is a usage charge per month and a deposit.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ford - quite correct, but the original boxes were given out without monthly charge and you get your deposit back on return of the box - eventually.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyder_pig, I know that, but trucks pay more than cars. And if the lanes pick up box regardless I was wondering what was to stop trucks using a car registered box - although it sounds like there are sensors which pick up type of vehicle.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, that's OK, not your fault Cool As I said, the next truck had trouble so maybe it was a dodgy lane. The bends on the empty RNs were much more enjoyable, even on that incredibly long straight bit Laughing On the autoroute I would have missed the village holding a tarte tatin festival Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy