Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with Nerves...

Poster: A snowHead
Hello snowheads!

I was hoping there might be a fairy godmother (or father) out there that can help me with my problem…..

As you can tell by my log-on name – I’m not exactly the pluckiest when it comes to nerves.

This will be my third year snowboarding (so third week to be exact) and I really love boarding but my nerves (or lack of them) are really holding me back.

I just about learnt how to link my turns last year so am hoping that this year will be a good one with the progression and I can really start to enjoy it as opposed to fighting with every muscle in my body the minute I stand on the board! wink

The only problem is that my legs go to jelly when I am at the top of the mountain. (Silly as it sounds, I have a major fear of heights....even though my feet are firmly on the ground!)

And also it completely terrifies me when I’m heading down the mountain in the middle of doing a turn.

I’m finding that because I’m so scared, it’s really holding me back…
(It probably doesn’t help that I damaged both knees last year in a fall too) Sad

If anyone has any tips that might help me turn from scaredy cat to a fearless boarder chick, it would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nervous Nellie, I'd suggest lessons and building up slowly. Lessons should improve your technique and better technique will help as things get more intimidating. The problem is the more intimidated you are, the harder it is to apply good technique - hence my advice to build up slowly.

sometimes this is hard if you are in a group that's pretty confident, so finding ways to manage this will help too - riding with people at your own level or being selective with which runs you do. I'm not suggesting you don't challenge yourself, rather that you pick challenges that build your confidence rather than break it.

This topic may also help:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=57070&highlight=
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nervous Nellie, I'm sure there will be plenty of practical advice like that above but in addition, there's a little trick that someone once told me to try and I've found it really helps. When you get on the lift at the bottom (or at anytime you find they come back - so halfway down a slope works too) is to mentally sweep up all your nerves, put them in a 'bag' and dump them off the side of the chairlift as you go up. I know it sounds daft, but it helped me. (of course I'm pretty sure that the girl who told me about them probably explained it better too) Embarassed

I'm sure you will find fearless boarder chick-dom is on it's way soon. Very Happy

Welcome to sH's btw snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nervous Nellie, some terrain is more nerve-inducing than others. If you are in a wide bowl, with no "drop offs" anywhere near, and no juggernaut cliffs above you, it does make things easier. Having warm weather and sunshine helps, too. And, of course, nice soft snow. You can't legislate for some of those things though boarding in March is likely to be warmer than boarding in January.

Where have you been up to now? To divorce the turning technique from heights and mountains, some lessons in a fridge might help. the combination of being unsure of your turns AND scared of the surroundings is pretty nasty.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi David,

Many many thanks for your reply and also the link. I just took a quick glance at it and it looks exactly what I need. Very Happy

I took lessons the last two years so was really excited about not doing any this year.

I'm (kinda) comfortable with the boarding thing, just not the fear thing... Sad

I'll have a proper read of the article now and once again, thanks for your help.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nervous Nellie, i'd second david@mediacopy's suggestion of getting lessons, though i'd suggest group beginner lessons.

even better, consider going on something like our camp which caters for single sex camps where you learn in suitable groups. (the website's not fantastic, but i've heard great things about them.)

otherwise, all i can say is good luck - the only thing that will help you is to improve your confidence like david@mediacopy has said above.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ahh, just saw the other posts there now...

Thanks guys. All replies very much appreciated!

Schuss in Boots - I love your little trick. And I think you explained it just perfect! Laughing I'll definately give it shot! And thanks for the welcome by the way.

Pam - So far, we were in Soll for the last two years. Silly as it sounds but I stuck to the one blue slope for the whole week Laughing This year we're in Kaprun which I'm hoping might have the big wide slopes you are talking about.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But getting to the right place is crucial. I don't normally have heights/mountain-induced fear but I have occasionally glimpsed it (and it's horrible) and also skied with people who have it. Once your nerve is shot it takes a lot of recovering. You need to find somewhere in a "bowl" style of environment. Not been there for years, but maybe La Plagne? NOT somewhere like Chamonix - to go to the other extreme - where everywhere you look there are world-shattering high craggy glittering cruel-looking mountains or a big drop down into the valley.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hahhahaha oh god! Remind me NEVER to go to Chamonix!

I'll definitely look into La Plagne for next year...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, Yep, picking your ground is key. Big and wide is going to be a lot better than narrow and steep.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Schuss in Boots, Ah, so it's you who litters the piste by leaving bags everywhere. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nervous Nellie, Another trick I used to do is to find a really steep yet short slope above a big wide run out. Then bang in a few fast turns knowing tha you will just glide to a slow speed once the slope bottoms out. Once you get confident at doing this just increase the length of the steep bit and you will soon surprise yourself. Then when you get nervous on a long run you can mentally say to yourself that you have coped with steeper, you know you can do it etc. breaking down a run into the difficult bits with each having an 'island of safety' to aim at also helps. As you go up on the lift look for each easy bit... those will be your rest breaks. Once a run is broken down into stages the whole thing becomes much easier. It's a common technique for slimbing as well.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know I'm probably going to take stick for suggesting it, but my experience suggests that people suffering from nerves are sometimes better off on skis, which feel a little less constraining, give better visibility of other slope users and often a less violent fall. It's worth a try if your nerves are related to control/others. If they are sheer height related though it might not be any use.

That aside, best of luck - nerves can be beaten, I used to be a complete nellie and you'd barely tell nowadays unless it's bad viz, which I still hate!

aj xx
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nervous Nellie, Hi from a recovering nervous wreck!!! well its mind over matter you know that, but what really helped me, whether psychologically or not was Bach Rescue Remedy from the chemists! pay a little more for the spray rather than drops, much easier to administer wearing gloves!! I am now looking forward to my 8th?? week and will have it in my pocket but found I didnt need it last time! (for me its the going up in lifts as well as coming down!) good luck snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
a.j., I have a brother in law who suffers badly from vertigo/fear of edges etc. He just skis - I'd never try to get him on a snowboard - but being a skier certainly doesn't stop him being bothered. I think the key is to do what you're really motivated to do - you need that motivation to keep coping with that very disabling fear. Sounds like Nelly is a motivated snowboarder to me!
snow report
Nervous Nellie, pam w makes a very good point. La Plagne would be perfect for you, there are huge areas where it doesn't 'appear' steep at all, it feels like there are lots of rolling hills with lots of 360 vision. This could well be the perfect place for confidence building.
latest report
a.j. wrote:
I know I'm probably going to take stick for suggesting it, but my experience suggests that people suffering from nerves are sometimes better off on skis

I tend to agree. Maybe start off skiing, get up to a reasonable level, of ability and confidence, then have another crack at boarding. That way you'll maybe get some fun out of it instead of just frustration, which is very important.

Not being smug or clever, just honest, but boarding is not for everyone. Someone once told me you can have almost as much fun on skis wink.
snow report
Helmet, wrist guards, turn the music up, crank the bindings down tight, don't stop smiling, point it down the hill, repeat until sorted.
snow report
Hi Nellie, I felt the exact same as you, when I started, scared to point it down hill or go on steep runs, as a few have mentioned stick with the easy runs until you feel you have complete control of your board, take your time there is no rush, and relax. If you can get to an indoor slope, this would allow you to focus on the boarding without the fear. It's all about one step at a time. Most of us have been there. you are not alone wink
latest report
Hi Nellie, you have just described the exact point I was at 2 years ago. I origionally learnt on a dry ski slope around 2001, but only really started going on ski holidays in 2005. The thing what set me back was having 1 awful instructor, being in large groups, always falling off chair lifts and not really learning anything, this put me off booking any more lessons, which lead to picking up bad habbits, which led to falling over more often, which knocked the confidence even more to the point where I was ready to go back to skis (even though I can only snow-plough turn on them).

Apart from having a drink for the confidence, the turning point for me was when we booked a lesson where there was just me and the hubby with a really good instructor. She took us right back to the basics which you forget about like using your feet to paddle, understanding where your weight is and how it effects the board, put your weight forward and don't lean backwards. Our technique improved so much in just 3 half days of lessons and by the end of the week I did my 1st red run. When we got back to the UK we booked a 2 day performance course with snowboard coach, and improved our technique even more (not cheap though). I'm now practicing to ride switch and hoping to have a go at a black run when we're in tignes next week. My confidence has definitely grown. It's all about getting the technique right. Once you get that control, your confidence grows and it becomes fun again, you know your board will turn where you want instead of just hoping it will. Very Happy

The only advice I can give is to stick with it, don't stop having lessons, try and get a 1 on 1 or a small group (snowdomes in the summer are usually quiet with really small groups), eventually it will all click and the nerves will be a distant memory. I still get slight 1st run nerves with jelly legs though at the top, until I point the nose straight down and the adrenaline kicks in Very Happy

Good luck, hope you begin to enjoy it as much as I do now.
latest report
I know my second trip I was bricking it because A) I didn't want to geo back a step, I wanted to progress from where I left on my first week, and B) I wanted to be able to do bigger, steeper, gnarlier runs as the week went on. It didn't quite pan out like that (I barndoored a black, that was as gnarly as it got) but I know that by setting myself goals I had something to focus on.

The third time I went I felt totally at ease on the board and that's when I started to actually pick and choose the types of runs I did and how i'd approach them.

The key thing for me was picking the right resort; La plagne was cruisey, mellow, Les Gets was more suited to getting better because of some nice powder areas on MtChery where it didn't hurt to fall at speed, then Val D'isere just helped put everything in place. When I did my fifth trip to ADH I was full of beans - no-one could have stopped me attacking blacks and off-piste.

There's some great advice here about getting your confidence up and what I've said is probably the obvious stuff, but it's very much a case of throwing yourself down the hill to learn. Don't mistake nerves for adrenalin - it's the latter that gets you down some runs when you're a newcomer. Mind you, every now and then there's a little reality check (bad fall, near-miss with a boulder/skier/pylon etc, getting stuck on a chairlift in a blizzard) that brings me back to earth a little. Bit that's good because it makes the sweet times even sweeter Smile
latest report
Nervous Nellie wrote:
If anyone has any tips that might help me turn from scaredy cat to a fearless boarder chick, it would be really appreciated.

1. Buy an iPhone.
2. Stick headphones in ears.
3. Crank cool music up to the max.
4. Get a grip.
snow report
5. Don't always listen to Whitegold. wink
ski holidays
sherlock235 wrote:
5. Don't ever listen to Whitegold. wink
fixed!

There's lots of good advice here. One of the real killers is not feeling in control of your board and as someone above has said, it's all about weight transfer. You can finesse that later with torque technique. Good lessons are the key, that and finding a long gentle green then blue to play with learning the muscle memories for that board control.
Spending a day or two on real bunny slopes with your bindings unclipped would teach you and some of the brutal bulldozers we see on the hill just how little effort is needed to turn and control a board.

Keep at it, it does get better, talk to the schools and find an instructor that will teach you board control rather than wanting to give you gnarly nuts (read that as you may wink ) and you'll be having fun very soon.

Ride safe, John
latest report
whitegold is right about the music. It helps.
snow report
pam w, Yes, you're right it does. I'd forgotten that I often use that particularly to help with scary bits.
snow report
Hey everyone, just wanted to say I'm absolutely delighted with all the replies to my post and thanks so much for all the advice.

I'll definitely be trying out a lot of the tips mentioned here (with the music cranked up of course!).

Hopefully next time you see someone flying down the mountain on their bum, flapping their arms around and screaming like a banshee - that won't be me...... and I'll be the one floating down gracefully and smiling away like a mad thing.

Thanks everyone

Not-so-nervous-anymore Nellie! Very Happy
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
sherlock235 wrote:
5. Don't ever listen to Whitegold. wink
fixed!

There's lots of good advice here. One of the real killers is not feeling in control of your board and as someone above has said, it's all about weight transfer. You can finesse that later with torque technique. Good lessons are the key, that and finding a long gentle green then blue to play with learning the muscle memories for that board control.

I found weight transfer, or the commitment to really make sure you were on a firm edge at all times was a great help when learning/progressing past the 'just mastered linked turns' stage. A few times I took some big spills when my centre of gravity drifted towards the wrong direction for the edge I should have been on, which sapped my confidence. As soon as I worked out that having your weight firmly aligned with the edge you are on, and making sure you transferred that weight properly when you moved from edge to edge... well .... that is when the confidence went up, the fun started and the falling stopped Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, and not only 'lateral' balance as you describe (which good posture will help with), but also fore-aft balance so you feel reasonably 50-50 on each leg. Soooo many beginner boarders ride with a rear bias, natural anxiety causing them to 'shying away' from the slope.

A good 'tell tail' is the relative position of your belly button to your feet. If you are standing 50-50 your belly button will be centred between your feet. As nerves kick in, the tendency is to sit back which will move your belly button (and weight) back towards your rear foot. Each time you stop, freeze your posture and do a quick check.
latest report
david@mediacopy, yes, every now and then I decide to link turns riding switch (I should really change my set up to do this) and it is difficult not to 'lean back onto the the back foot', but after a few turns I have the confidence to have equal weight distribution - very humbling to take myself back to the 'linking turns on a blue' level !

With good technique comes confidence !
ski holidays
Something you can do before you go - is to try and overcome the fear of heights.
I took up rockclimbing as one way of getting comfortable at height.
Also I live near Cheddar Gorge and when I head up there I take my time to go to the edge, often by crouching, spend some time there - realise its safe, let my breathing and heart rate calm down. Realise I can cope and deal with it slowly and in my own time. Each time it gets a bit easier... One day I reckon I'll be able to walk up, stay standing, look down without the racing heartbeat!
ski holidays
Hi Nervous Nellie ! When you get to the top, take some time just look at the wonderful scenery, it takes your breath away. I hate heights but there is just something about those mountains that can bring some inner peace & calm ! Being in the mountains is the one place that heights & edges do not bother me as I am having the time of my life ! snowHead
ski holidays
Music in the ears can help, e.g. the theme tune to OHMSS (On her majesty's secret service).

One or two pints of lager can also help, but beyond that they turn you to incompetent jelly.

You must embrace the prospect of wipeout/crash/eating the snow. Avoid pine trees and other skiers, but the perverse thing about boarding is that leaning into the fall line is like sticking your head in the lion's maw, and yet is also the trick to more effective boarding. Don't fear speed. Fear losing concentration.

Board with courage.
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow! welcome back - i haven't seen you post for ages!!!
ski holidays
sherlock235, I know its been a while! we didnt go last season so didnt want to rub salt in the wounds but coming on here, but can't do another season without so am back on here to whet the appetite snowHead snowHead hope I havent missed too much gossip
snow report
sherlock235, Ditto - welcome back DebbiDoesSnow snowHead
snow report
Hey everyone, just wanted to say another big thanks to y'all.

There are some great tips on here so will defo be giving some of them a shot.

Hope you all have a great time on the slopes this year!

(60 more sleeps to go....So excited!) Laughing
latest report
Firstly those suggesting la plagne is a good snowboard beginners resort really cant have learnt in la plagne. The place is flats hell!
Fine when you are confident enough to mach5 across the flats, but for beginners it rapidly becomes a walking holiday.

Ill assume your talking about steep groomed pistes ...

Good technique to get the board round quickly will do wonders for you confidence on steeper runs.
Im sure you are fine sideslipping down steep sections, the trick is to get quickly round and in control from heel to toe.
Short radius skidded turns are what you need to master. Get some lessons in resort and poke around on youtube for instructions on riding steeps. Once your confident you can get your board round on a dime in any steep, then things will feel much better.

From psychological point of steeps, Try and think of the pistes as flat, but gravity is the engine pushing you along the flat.

Tux
ski holidays
spent a day at la plagne while staying at les arcs and it was awful - felt like it was mostly flat. probably a nice place to ski but not much fun as a rubbish snowboarder..

i found my boarding completely changed after spending two hours with a good instructor. got as private lesson with my girlfriend and it was a totally different holiday after that.

ooh and find something happy to sing while you're heading down - it'll help you to relax so you don't tense up and mess up your balance...
latest report
singing works for me, my only problem is i keep singing the same song allday long
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy