Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gear Opinions?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Okay - My slight dilemma...

Off to Breck in January, and have used hire boards / my own boots up until now.

Had the bright idea of buying a board unseen, that a friend of a friend was selling a couple of months back - Save money on rental etc.

Ended up with a 10 year old 159cm Burton Supermodel, a pair of Burton Ruler boots and clip in bindings.

Board is in really good condition, with no top coat damage - Just needs a service / edge and wax.

I don't like clip in's / like my current boots - So will be looking to flog the bindings & matching Burton boots ASAP.

So...this means new bindings on an old skool board - Which is already slightly too big for me (I'm 5 9"ish, and have ridden 156cm most of the time).

Do I:

a) Flog the board / boots / bindings and acquire a new (secondhand) board in my size?

b) Flog the boots / bindings - Service the Supermodel (oh er!), and fit some newer ratchet / flow bindings? (At a cost of £80-100+)

Opinions very much welcome!

(I'm beginner to mildy intermediate standard - Been boarding around 6 years, so can get around without falling over too much / easily link turns / use drag lifts etc).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Back in the day that would have been a great board for cruising a resort and prob still is. If you intend spending loads of time in the park consider trading it. A big board should be quite stable at speed and make sure you float on any powder you can find! Give it or get it a wax though!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I guess if you can flog them, flog the boots and bindings if you really don't like them.
Service the board yourself (see excellent guide on this forum) and buy new bindings in Breckenridge. They should be somewhere near the same price in dollars as they would be in pounds over here so should be much cheaper. You can of course get the board serviced in resort. I guess if you're going that far then you will be able to afford an overnight service.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BTW - I've had a Burton Cascade 163 for years which is similar to the Supermodel. It is amazingly stable and is perfectly capable of tight turns. It's not a park board though, but I doubt that anyone will lock you up for jumping the thing. I find it more than adequate for my cruising needs and not at all difficult to maneuver or control and I'm 5'7" and 11st. I would have thought the 159 will be fine for you and will be great in powder. Take it with you and enjoy!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i think the supermodel is generally sized a bit longer for the weight of the rider. have a look at the burton website, but i reckon it will be fine for you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Excellent - Cheers folks! Very Happy

I'm a fatty at 80kg's, so the 159 sounds like it might well be the correct Supermodel sizing for me.

I'll get it serviced, and look at bindings - Fancy a set of flow's, but understand Burton have a 3 hole fixing designed for their own bindings?

(Although...My board is pretty old, so might just have the standard fixing points? Will need to dig it out and have a look!)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your board will definitely have 3-hole Burton inserts. I always wanted a Supermodel back in the day. I actualy have the modern incarnation now in a 167. It's a nice board for powder riding, but it has the turning circle of a supertanker on the piste!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fluoxetine wrote:
I'm a fatty at 80kg's, so the 159 sounds like it might well be the correct Supermodel sizing for me.
I'll get it serviced, and look at bindings - Fancy a set of flow's, but understand Burton have a 3 hole fixing designed for their own bindings?

My 2008-2009 Flow M9 bindings came with a universal base plate which has holes such that it will fit on regular 4-screw boards as well as Burton's 'exclusive' (i.e. stupid and annoying) 3-hole mount pattern.

...and 80kg is nothing round here. I seem to remember that at 120kg I'm not even the heaviest snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
you can get universal base plates from bargainboards.

incidentally i have a set of flows at home somewhere (with uni plates) if you want to buy some second-hand - used them for a couple of weeks and then decided i prefer rachets. been meaning to ebay them for ages...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy