Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

APPR Telepeage Doofer thingy

Poster: A snowHead
Timbobaggins, Dunkirk to Beaune on Friday, joined the A26 near Bethune. No problems: the zapper worked perfectly at every peage. I went through the 30kph gates, but didn't have the nerve to keep the speed up, and hit the brakes just before the gate opened. Idle in Beaune, then on via the A6 and A40 to Geneva for Champex. I usually go via Poligny, Champagnole and Jougne, but it was snowing all day, so stuck to the motorways. No problems with the tolls. It beeps and the gate opens. My APPR welcome pack included a direct debit form, but they seemed to be inviting me to set up payments from a French bank account only to ensure continuity of the account after the card expiry date. Nothing about having to set it up within fifteen days, AFAIK. But I'll find out on my next journey on 3 Dec. Meanwhile my online account does not yet show any journeys.

Incidentally the Reims bypass is open, despite not being shown on TomTom route planner or Via Michelin. Very easy to negotiate. No camera.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
planeurge,

Thanks for the update, as a matter of interest how loud/noticeable is the bleep.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can't miss it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Am about to order a Doofer from APPR - has anyone absolutely confirmed that there is no requirement for a french bank account and that the 15 day cancellation threat doesn't apply with APPR?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I purchased my doofer (APRR) back on November I think it was. Set it up online using my credit card. Lost my card and called them to change number which apart from a slight language barrier was no trouble at all. Used it on 17 Dec 10 out from Calais to Cluses and return. Works a treat but device must be located high in the screen to work. I was reluctant to stick the thing in the window and just put it on the dash but not sure this worked as efficiently, so I stuck it in.

Beep is easily heard. Does take some nerve the first time doing the 30 kph barriers.

Really convenient piece of kit, highly recommended.

My Satnav got it's knickers in a twist on the Reims bypass too.

Whats that 15 day cancellation thing?.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

My Satnav got it's knickers in a twist on the Reims bypass too.

it's funny watching it wander across fields and tell you to turn left at the next footpath, isn't it? Laughing Fortunately the signposting, like all the French motorway signposting, is so clear, so enormous, and so frequently repeated that you'd have to be a complete nincompoop to get lost.

the new road is good - but the fact that you still have to run off and then back onto péage will reduce its usefulness at half term when I guess those 5 mile queues will still build up.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Basil, someone posted here earlier that they thought the acceptance of credit cards was simply to cover the doofer supplier until they got hold of your (french) bank details and 15 days after issue if they didn't have your bank account they cancelled the doofer. I may have misread this, or it may only apply to the Sanef doofer. I was just hoping someone could clarify that point - but it sounds like you had no problems after 4 weeks so I'll go ahead and order one - Thanks!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I rang Vinci and the English speaking chap confirmed that they must receive your direct debit details or they would cancel the doofer.

It has worked brilliantly for my trip to Tours and then on to Tignes, especially as I was driving alone to Tours.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bar shaker, sorry to seem thick, but there seem to be a multitude of suppliers of the doofer:

Sanef - who most people use and who now insist on a french bank account
APPR - who seem to accept only a credit card, but does this only last 15 days or until DD details are supplied?
Vinci - is this a 3rd supplier or one of the above?

I don't have a french bank account and it wouldn't be worth opening one just for this, but I will be driving a RHD car solo through a lot of tolls in the next 3 months so I'd really like a doofer that works with a credit card. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Basil, the sticky stuff on the holder peels off the screen quite easily if you're careful, and is re-usable (at least the ones on the Sanef and Severn Bridge Tag do) wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This thread on Pistonheads suggests that all of the autoroute companies will become 'French bank account only', due to Liber-T, the company providing the badges not trusting the credit card companies.
Mine was linked to my French account until July, when the badge didn't work, and I had to use a UK card at the office in Reins to reactivate the badge. I received a letter a couple of months ago asking me for my French bank details as the badge would no longer work.
I have a SANEF badge.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would have thought that seeing as I have used my Doofer and have subscribed to online billing if I was supposed to register a French bank account they would have been in touch by now, I also think they would have asked me about it when I called to change my card number. Suppose I'll find out when I next use it, perhaps not through a 30 kph barrier though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think I'm with you Basil, I'll take the plunge with APPR
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a Sanef doofer linked to a Nationwide credit card and I haven't received any letters or emails suggesting that I need to change this - as I'll be using it soon this is a bit concerning.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I got a Sanef doofer in August and set it up with a credit card. But at the time the Sanef office said that at the end of the year it would have to be linked to a bank account, and gave me a direct debit form to post back to them (I didn't have my French bank account details to hand). What I didn't ask was whether it needed to be a French account or whether a UK bank account would suffice.
ski holidays
Yoda wrote:
I have a Sanef doofer linked to a Nationwide credit card and I haven't received any letters or emails suggesting that I need to change this - as I'll be using it soon this is a bit concerning.

I'm in the same boat and have not heard anything either.
snow conditions
I have now used the APPR zapper for three journeys in two consecutive months (spanning more than fifteen days), and it has worked fine, and all the journeys are correctly logged in my online account. It all goes on my Nationwide Visa. I haven't got a French bank account. My recollection is that the direct debit forms were accompanied by the suggestion that you would find it more convenient to use that form of payment, to avoid an interruption of the account when your c/c renews, but not by a time limit as such.
latest report
Vinci run the roads in the central and alpine areas and also sell doofers.
latest report
Yoda wrote:

Me too and have just driven back and it worked fine Very Happy
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, ta. I think I'll call my friends in Perigord and pre-warn them that I might need to rob their bank account though, just in case Laughing
latest report
Just got back a couple of days ago and my APRR one worked like a dream (linked to a Visa debit card). The documentation that came with it had a DD mandate with a big orange note on it saying 'only fill in if you want to pay by DD from a french account. It was great fun watching the French hold back and give you room to reverse out Wink
latest report
TotallyBoard, thanks for the update, I'm a bit more confident in the APPR/Visa combo now Very Happy
latest report
I returned last night from a trip to the Alps using my APRR doofer that I purchased late Novemebr, using a mastercard credit card. It worked absolutely fine, straight through the barriers and it was great fun waving goodbye as we passed the queues of other British cars that we had been playing leapfrog on the Autoroutes with for the past 100kms.

As I understand it, I have been charged €10 for the doofer, which will be subtracted from the first months bill. I also only pay €2 per month that it is used, on top of the cost f the tolls. I really don't understand why every French driver has not got one, even for the occasional journey they make sense. I think that it must have saved me at least 40mins each way.

One slight problem though, as we drove through the first sensor south of Calais, my car alarm went off and would not stop, even after stopping the car, locking, unlocking it etc. Eventually after 20 mins it re-set itself. Has anybody else exerienced this? My alram has never had a fault before, or since so I can only guess that it was the doofer sensor.
snow report
It's surprising how much distance/time the Sans Arrete lanes save, even on a relatively quiet toll line.

We were passed by an English Merc ML who was seriously going for it. 3km later he was still at the tolls and he passed us again 3-4 km past the tolls.

I hope the French don't all get them as it will reduce their advantage.

Tignes Les Boisses to my Front door in just under 12 hours yesterday. It would have been 40 minutes less had the UK Border Control people not spent 2-3 minutes checking every passport of every occupant of every English car. The queues were back well into the terminal car park. Eurotunnel staff did their best to keep it moving before and after but were fighting a losing battle.

Perhaps UK Border Control had been tipped off that Bin Laden was trying to get in and would be wearing a woolly hat, a DG tee shirt.

Either way, the doofer saved me somewhere between 20 and 40 minutes BME.
ski holidays
Peter_K, I've never had the alarm problem and have used the Sanef telepeage box in 4 or 5 different cars, may just have been a co-incidence. Confused
Might be worth checking the car hand book.

bar shaker,
Quote:

It would have been 40 minutes less had the UK Border Control people not spent 2-3 minutes checking every passport of every occupant of every English car. The queues were back well into the terminal car park. Eurotunnel staff did their best to keep it moving before and after but were fighting a losing battle.

Those checks are quite normal at every port of entry now. At the Tunnel around 75% of vehicles should also be swabbed down for an explosives/drugs residue test but I noticed this weekend the French were doing less than 25%.
The building works at the tolls in Calais are so that in future a maximum of 15 lanes are available which will then be followed by the security immigration and passport checks BEFORE you get to the terminal building. Both the UK Home Office and the French have made a committment to overcome the peak queues at Calais.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 4-01-11 18:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Peter_K wrote:
One slight problem though, as we drove through the first sensor south of Calais, my car alarm went off and would not stop, even after stopping the car, locking, unlocking it etc. Eventually after 20 mins it re-set itself. Has anybody else exerienced this? My alram has never had a fault before, or since so I can only guess that it was the doofer sensor.

In a group touring the alps last June, one of the guys on a motorbike had his immobiliser come on and refuse to switch off again at a toll. After messing with it for an hour we spotted the large radio/phone antena and rolled the bike away, down the other end of the rest area and it all came back to life.
ski holidays
bar shaker, I did Ste Foy to Burnham on Crouch in 12.5 hours on New Years Day and again the longest stop was at UK Customs, are they all Jobs Worths trying to hold onto their jobs in the face of government cuts.

It will not be long before I take out a barrier when going through the 30kph telepeage lane!
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Me too and have just driven back and it worked fine Very Happy

Hmm likewise, SANEF worked like a dream last summer for Le Mans and down to the Alps. Was looking fwd to using it in a couple of weeks.
A*se Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought my APRR Doofer in November using my Nationwide Credit card. I have yet to use it as we don't go on trip 1 till 28th Jan, and then trip 2 in March.

However i have just logged into my online account with APRR and it shows that Doofer is valid and that payment is by bank card, so i am more than happy all is okay.

Doofers rool Very Happy
ski holidays
Fogliettaz,
Quote:

the longest stop was at UK Customs

Customs immigration and passport control PLUS safety and security checks.

Which are jobsworths or rather which do you not consider is neccesary to be carried out properly?
PS The current security risk is Severe
Quote:
The current threat level from international terrorism is Severe
This means that a terrorist attack is highly likely.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/counter-terrorism/current-threat-level/

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 4-01-11 18:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
a little bit of digging on Pistonheads has found this little chestnut, maybe we SANEF customers will be fine after all...just check your expiry dates on your registered card:

Monday 6th December 2010
UPDATE: received an email and subsequentely talk to them. There is an EU law that's just been approved to allow Direct Debit from one country to another not charging a credit card that then charges your bank account (in the UK's case)

Their customer service just told me that they are waiting for the authorisations to be released but in the mean time, they'll happily use my credit card to charge me and will let me know in due time when they are ready to switch to DD.

It's actually a good thing in the end.

Numero de Client: XXXXXXXX

Bonjour Monsieur J B L,

Nous avons bien reçu votre message et nous vous en remercions.

Dans le cadre de la Directive européenne relative au prélèvement bancaire intra-européen (SEPA), nous pourrions vous proposer une solution de paiement courant 2011 : le prélèvement sur votre compte en Grande Bretagne, dans les mêmes conditions qu'un prélèvement intra-national.

Nous ne manquerons pas de vous informer de la date à laquelle nous pourrions vous proposer ce service. En attendant, nous acceptons le renouvellement de votre carte bancaire. Nous avons profité de la fin de validité de votre carte bancaire pour vous sensibiliser sur ce sujet.

Vous pouvez d'ici là, utiliser votre télébadge en toute liberté, sur les autoroutes de France.

Naturellement, nous restons à votre disposition pour tout renseignement complémentaire.

Cordialement.

Claire VIRMONTOIS

Chargée de clientèle

Groupe Sanef/Sapn

09 708 08 709 Choix 1 puis 1

De l'étranger : +33 9 708 08 709

Quick Google translation:

Under the European Directive on intra-European direct debit (SEPA), we could offer a payment solution in 2011: the charge on your account in Great Britain, under the same conditions as intra-national direct debit.

We will not fail to inform you of the date on which we could offer this service. Meanwhile, we accept the renewal of your credit card. We took the end of validity of your credit card to educate yourself on this matter.

You can by then, use your télébadge freely on the highways of France.

Naturally, we remain at your disposal for any further information.
latest report
skinutter, Hmm, SEPA transaction charge with HSBC is £9.00. Hopefully they will carry on charging my CC.
ski holidays
haven't yet checked on the pricing of SEPA but i guess it's not going to be relevent until its implementable and they have a charging theory for payments cross border. I suppose they could change the settlement frequency and then you have one SEPA charge per quarter or something.

In the meantime (like this season) for those of us who have a SANEF doofer, it should at least work via a registered CC.
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, We are supposed to be in one European community with open borders, I do not seem to have such security checks whe driving over other borders in Europe.
ski holidays
Fogliettaz,
Quote:

We are supposed to be in one European community with open borders

Sorry to dissapoint you but only Schengen Area countries have 'open' borders. (We dont have the EU currency either wink )
ski holidays
I have a feeling my doofer (now 4 years old) might be linked to a redundant card.
Will I be able to sort it at one of the tolls?
snow conditions
Driving down to Paris on Monday evening with my SANEF "doofer" linked to my Visa card.
Will let you know how I get on.
ski holidays
Pleased to report SANEF "Doofer" still working perfectly !
ski holidays
Just got back from using my APPR Doofer for the first time. Those 30kph booths are great. Well maybe 40mph and waiting to hit the brake.
Not been charged to my credit card yet and wondering if they charge at the end of the month? First tolls were 8th Jan and still no sign of them on the credit card.
snow conditions
I started this thread and am feeling a bit left out coz i haven't had the chance to Doof my Doofer Sad

Still only 9 days to go, woooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Smile Madeye-Smiley Smile Madeye-Smiley

Glad to hear everyone else's Doofers are Doofing nicely wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy