Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SNowheads Weekend at Nixmaps Pad

Poster: A snowHead
I can't see what the fuss is about. All of the above looks quite normal to me. It's just like the other week down the ski club; a chap I know down there said "I'm having a party at my house this weekend and wondered if you'd like to come ?" to which I replied

"Oh yeah ! party ? How much is that going to set me back then ? party be damned, I bet you haven't even got a house so go f@ck yourself". My stance was justified when he got all hoity toity and stormed off, some 'party' that would have been if the host has an attitude like that.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thirty06, Laughing it is all rather OTT isnt it?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thirty06, Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a nice rapport in this thread. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Who's nixmap? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MoodyFFS, He's posted on here a couple of times looking for someone who wants "free" accommodation for the season in return for cooking for him and his family and looking after the kids when they visit the chalet. Lots of people didnt like what he was doing and the threads have been filed under "SH Gold"
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shimmy Alcott, oh Shimmy Alcott so sweet! Smile seriously though, is this guy Osama Bin Laden's sockpuppet or does he just get peoples backs up the wrong way?

Anyway... I'm thinking about this party.................
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MoodyFFS, I dont know, cant figure him out TBH. Doesnt really post enough.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anniepen, it's been slowing down though...I was expecting to be on page 6 by now Little Angel
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

MoodyFFS, He's posted on here a couple of times looking for someone who wants "free" accommodation for the season in return for cooking for him and his family and looking after the kids when they visit the chalet. Lots of people didnt like what he was doing and the threads have been filed under "SH Gold"

Now I am confused as to why people don't like him Puzzled Maybe I'm missing something, but at the price of seasonal accomadation, that seems like an okay deal.

I know it does depend alot on how often they come out to vist you at their chalet. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alan R, Do a Google and you'll find that Nixmap has conducted a long term and widespread online scheme to staff his Swiss winter/summer second home with housekeeping/cheffing(sp?)/childminding etc. at no cost to himself and avoiding any liabilities or responsibilities to Swiss regulation or taxation or the safety of the staff . . . that pretty much sums him up. As for this ski weekend, I can only speculate its motivation, but altruism is very low on the list . . . and you have to consider the cost of maintaining a Swiss mountain home. A bunch of free-spending hedonistic snowHeads willing to pay to stay for a weekend party would be a 'nice earner'. Based on his own acts, I don't believe that Nixmap does anything that might put him to any expense.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, your relentless effort to shit on everything that nixmap posts has now become more irritating than any of his efforts. Well done.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
scotia, Do bear in mind that Masque, is in a far better position and more knowledgeable about dubious employment practices (and particularly the legal side) in the Alps as he has experienced them first hand.
Nixmaps marketing and employment practices are highly questionable and I have no doubt that sooner or later his 'staff' and him as the employer will receive a visit from the Swiss tax and employment authorities. Possibly this being the reason that Nick does not wish to reveal the whereabouts of his appartment. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing, you beat me to the very same point about Masque......did we ever get closure on his (alleged) legal predicament? Or did his running away to the other side of the Atlantic put the dogs off his scent?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Voice of Reason, I think the answer to those questions is unknown and also any further comment may be mired in legality!

On another issue, your advertising line.. are those quotes from posts about you on here?

Meanwhile I see DavidL is back to pimping La Ros again Shocked
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=69150#1638186

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 17-11-10 11:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, I had noticed that the La Rosiere marketing machine was back in full flow. It's a bit like the 'Chalets Direct Solution Room' in here at times wink

The tag line is indeed paraphrased from recent posts about (or to) me.....from the friendly moderating team Very Happy
latest report
The Voice of Reason, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
scotia wrote:
Masque, your relentless effort to shit on everything that nixmap posts has now become more irritating than any of his efforts. Well done.
I left him well alone here until long after he'd dug his own grave again and threw his bones out of the hole. I actually thought at the beginning of this thread 'Great! New leaf turned' but as the thread drew out the leaf shrivelled and rotted away. If you do a dig you'll find I don't crap on Nixmap as a matter of course but I won't hold back if he makes a prat of himself.

As for the other matter, It cost me a very large sum to get screwed and the matter is 'sorta closed' . . . but Karma's a bitch Toofy Grin and I'm having four weeks on snow in Europe and five or six in the US this season. Perhaps I might even have a day or two in that tiny, crowded but sunny s'thole that we all know and love Twisted Evil and no, I didn't skip out, could have done though.
snow conditions
Quote:
It cost me a very large sum to get screwed

Do you mean you lost?

Isn't losing for losers? Puzzled
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
It cost me a very large sum to get screwed

You are Wayne Rooney and I claim my £5...
ski holidays
The Voice of Reason wrote:
Do you mean you lost?

Isn't losing for losers? Puzzled

Not in the long term wink But I sure a s't didn't get paid for my work ... and picked up the tab. But then again I'm healthy, fitter than I've been in years, getting some serious snowtime and building a new career . . . one that doesn't include driving this much Shocked
snow report
Masque,
Quote:

healthy, fitter than I've been in years, getting some serious snowtime and building a new career . . . one that doesn't include driving this much

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Do a Google and you'll find that Nixmap has conducted a long term and widespread online scheme to staff his Swiss winter/summer second home with housekeeping/cheffing(sp?)/childminding etc. at no cost to himself and avoiding any liabilities or responsibilities to Swiss regulation or taxation or the safety of the staff . . . that pretty much sums him up. As for this ski weekend, I can only speculate its motivation, but altruism is very low on the list . . . and you have to consider the cost of maintaining a Swiss mountain home. A bunch of free-spending hedonistic snowHeads willing to pay to stay for a weekend party would be a 'nice earner'. Based on his own acts, I don't believe that Nixmap does anything that might put him to any expense

But he's not employing people. All he's doing is asking someone to keep an eye on his place over the season and look after him and his family when they are there, in return, free board and lodgings or what ever deal they agree amongst themselves.

Glad to see that like minded people are helping each other out for eveyones benifit. On the upside the house sitter can leave at any time.

I know this sort of arrangement might not suit everyone and not fall in with the norm, and I would not rate it if they were expected to look after paying guests every week. But each to there own, as long as everyone goes in with their eyes open.

Just thought I'd offer a different perspective to the majority of posts, it was all getting a bit one sided, he might well turn out to be a prat, but I've never met the guy, and I would suggest very few others have either Laughing
snow conditions
Alan R, It's an old argument, quite complex and settled here with, I think, it's more likely a form of remunerative employment of non-Swiss nationals, but yet to be tested under the quite stringent Swiss tax and employment laws/regs and he's been asked not to repeat the advert here. I don't think anyone here would shop him out (inc. me) but given the level of secrecy and obfuscation constructed around the situation it can't last forever. As I said about the w/e trip, it sounded like fun and I'd hoped that the offer was simple throwing open his doors for a party like wot our 'angel of the skies' does every year. We all chip in for food and booze and bring more booze . . . and go and buy more booze . . . and sometimes get nekid in the sea . . . and f@rt in the hot-tub . . . well you get the drift.
snow conditions
Masque, Sounds like a good get together, Very Happy I don't agree with f@rting in hot tubs, unless the bubbles are off.
ski holidays
I don't see anything wrong of what he's offering... until he starts calling it "an altruism"!

Same with the "free" room and board! It's not free if you have to work for it!!!

It's simply an un-paid housekeeper. I get one like that from time to time: people who need temporary lodging in the New York City area use my place when I'm not here. One or two OFFER to clean it in exchange. It's not exactly "free" once they do labor in exchange.

When you get something for "free", you owe the giver gratitude. Does the un-paid housekeeper owes nix a gratitude, after looking after the house and the family?
latest report
bud...nip... it...inthe...please rolling eyes rolling eyes go and hunt out the old thread and add all this to it (again).

Enjoy the hospitality... come on snowHead 's take him up on his very kind offer... then write a trip report Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing wrote:
The Voice of Reason, I think the answer to those questions is unknown and also any further comment may be mired in legality!

On another issue, your advertising line.. are those quotes from posts about you on here?

Meanwhile I see DavidL is back to pimping La Ros again Shocked
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=69150#1638186

Laughing Laughing ............. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Masque wrote:

Nixmap has conducted a long term and widespread online scheme to staff his Swiss winter/summer second home

Hardly, it amounts to about six or seven original posts on different free forums, most of which really were not well thought out while I intially experimented with the idea.

Naturally there we some comments about lack of information in the public forum, partly for privacy - which based on the agressive nature of some of the forums seems wholly justified, and partly because I had little idea of how it would turn out and I want the flexibility to talk to respondents on a personal basis (which I did for the most part.) That wasnt the subject of this thread however.

This thread trying to respond to some of the criticsms last year which I felt had some merit.
1) No input to the SH community..
2) Too much privacy.
3) No access to the people staying with me.

So I half seriously thought that it might be an idea, to give people a chance to see for themselves -and have some fun at the same time..
I seriously considered going to the EOSB as an alternative, but its a 6 hour drive, and going on a SKi holiday when I already have my own place didnt seem to make a lot of sense. Moreover it doesnt cover (3) very well. I didnt know whether this was a good idea or not, so I put it on the Forum, If I recieved a lot of positvie replies then I would do something about it. If not - then fair enough.

I thought about just posting the date time and location here but I decided a personal approach was better. Its not meant to be cloak and dagger, and Im sorry if it comes accross that way, however based on some of the public response here, I think it was the better decision.

Nix
ski holidays
nixmap, your reasoning is becoming apparent. As I said o page 1, I think it's s great idea if you;re serious about it, and from the post above it seems you are. Hope it works out for you
ski holidays
abc wrote:
When you get something for "free", you owe the giver gratitude. Does the un-paid housekeeper owes nix a gratitude, after looking after the house and the family?

Depends on you perspective - you imply that in every arrangement there is a winner and a loser.
Demonstrably thats not always true.

Who is the winner or loser:-
The bee or the flower?
The child or parent?
The anenome or the clownfish?
The wife or husband?
Maybe even
The cow or the farmer?

Nix.
ski holidays
Alan R wrote:
Quote:

Now I am confused as to why people don't like him Puzzled

Most posters have reacted furiously because Nixmap is seemingly better-off than they are.

The ol' greeneyed monster.
latest report
nixmap, If you'd gone for your first thought . . . well, hindsight is 20:20 and I do call bulls't on your self-deprecation of your advertising and your cod analogies. You could have had a fun bunch of snowHeads for a w/e.
And! You STILL don't get it, Bashes are about people NOT places and there are sHs with places in the snow that come to bashes.
snow conditions
Quote:

Most posters have reacted furiously because Nixmap is seemingly better-off than they are.
The ol' greeneyed monster.

I think theres more to it than that, especially in some cases. Although I agree there is some ideological bigotry - thats expected to a point. Whats really unfortunate is the select few that chose to combine this bigoted stance with their immaculate expertise in circular reasoning. They make no pretense about understanding the issue or facts. As their conclusions are the core of their assumptions it all makes perfect sense at first glance - to them and anyone else not paying close attention.

People who manage to combine these skills are rare, and Im completely at a loss as to how they seem to flourish here.
However rare or not, I personally dont welcome them, as experience and history doesnt tell me good stories about these combinations.
ski holidays
ahhhh been away for a while but good to be back and witnessing a tetchy thread within a couple of days LOL

I co run a forum with 7000 users dotted round this small planet and we seem to avoid all this, seems odd that SH is littered with them (oh and no it's no a competing snow related corner of the interweb) Puzzled rolling eyes
snow conditions
skinutter, normally the same old users though
latest report
As I said, only a select few, you think after the last post - finally they get it?
latest report
I wonder why some folks view nixmap's, ideas and offers as OK and some don't? If I had no ties I think I could have a fun season as their unpaid housekeeper in exchange for the barter of free accommodation, I would imagine that he could have hosted a fun ski weekend given half a chance too. I was under the impression from the OP that he intended to offer his pad FOC for a fun weekend. I still struggle to see the problem, mind you I've been brought up to believe that there is no such thing as a free lunch. When you look at the cost of staying in the Alps it can easily run at £300+ per week, so why not repay the 'free' accommodation with £300 of work, which wasn't going to take all week. There must something fundamentally different about how I view life when I see no problem with the barter of accommodation for work and yet some folks clearly do. I'm sorry if I am on the wrong side of the fence, but I think nixmap's, suggestions make sense and I am still puzzled by the others of you that don't.
snow conditions
Megamum, +1 (but why are you sorry, whichever side of the fence you pick there is no right or wrong side)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy