Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HELP..looking for Ski location Europe end Nov??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I'm looking to book a ski break for myself and my girlfriend. Leaving on preferably the 27th Nov, or the first week in December somewhere in Europe.

Any recommendation of where to go for guaranteed snow, easy access from airport, with nice hotels, and good ski area? We are both intermediate level.
Or any recommendations for travel agents that have package deals at this that of year? The dates seem too early for most of the tour operators .

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

The dates seem too early for most of the tour operators .

That's because the dates are too early for most of the resorts, and most of the snow.

Of the places I know, I'd recommend Tignes. I haven't been to the Austrian glacier resorts but lots of people here have and will no doubt be along with suggestions. The vast majority of resorts open in mid December.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply Pam.

I'm going to look up some info on Tignes now.

I was looking at Saas Fee as a possible location. I'm just afraid there will no snow at that time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jack E wrote:
Hi. I'm looking to book a ski break for myself and my girlfriend. Leaving on preferably the 27th Nov, or the first week in December somewhere in Europe.

Any recommendation of where to go for guaranteed snow, easy access from airport, with nice hotels, and good ski area? We are both intermediate level.
Or any recommendations for travel agents that have package deals at this that of year? The dates seem too early for most of the tour operators .

Thanks.

There are the glacier resorts of course. In addition:

Ischgl opens on the 26th of November. Snow cover looks quite good at the moment. 90% of the ski area is above 2000 metres, so the snow that's there will stick around. Nice car free resort, great lift system and fantastic apres.

Obergurgl will probably be open and is high. Good choice for Austrian charm or there is Solden down the road if you prefer nightlife.

They are all close to Innsbruck.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I'm just afraid there will no snow at that time.

The glaciers should be guaranteed snow and it would be very unusual for Tignes and the other really high resorts (Obergurgl etc) not to have a fair amount open (I did a week in Tignes, beginning 5 December, some years ago and although the resort was by no means fully open there were a good number of runs to choose from, not just the glacier). But you're right to be concerned and a warm and windy few weeks can easily melt a lot of snow at lower (below glacier) levels. The freezing level is all over the place at the moment and quite likely to be over 3000m at times over the next few weeks. The best thing, really, is to wait till the last minute - then you can be sure. Resorts which are open are usually pretty quiet in early December so you don't run a big risk of finding no room at the inn.

The TOs have holidays to places like Obergurgl in early December, don't they?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Book flights for one of the big alpine airports (Innsbruck/Zurich/Geneva/etc) now, book your accommodation the week before you go and chase the snow. You shouldn't have any problems getting accomm, that early in the season most resorts will be dead, and hotels/guesthouses will be grateful for the income!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
that early in the season most resorts will be closed. Not a lift moving. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lol, there will be a few open though. Think St Anton opens around the 23th Nov...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the replies folks. They really are a great help.

Considering everything I think we should wait until the last minute and see how the weather is looking.
I don't want to be stuck over there looking at green fields.

Our other option would be to go to Canada or USA skiing. But I'm not even sure if there is guaranteed snow over there this early.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DOnt think twice, take a look at the snow record for this time of year. Then goto to Whistler.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jack E, I think the likelihood of getting lots of good snow is better across the pond, however the high Alpine and certainly the glacier resorts in Europe are fairly safe. I've been to glacier resorts preseason a few times over the last few years and haven't had poor snow yet. That said the forecasts for the next few weeks in Switzerland (I haven't checked France or Austria specifically) have freezing levels going over 3000m at various times!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jack E, Several of the Higher Austrian resorts will be open. Ischgl, HochSolden, Oberatuern, Obergurgl, Serfaus/Fiss. You can access all of these via Innbruck, except Obertauern, which requires a flight to Salzburg. Not sure if there are any scheduled flights to Salzburg yet. But BA are running a scheduled service to Innsbruck.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jack E,
Quote:

I don't want to be stuck over there looking at green fields.

Are you being serious? Puzzled

We got back from Hintertux glacier in Austria last week and had a great 3 days skiing. You could do far worse than to go there on 27th November.

We usually ski there from September onwards and have always experienced great snow conditions. Skiing is still offered at Hintertux on 365 days of the year!

If you fly to Munich then hire a car you could ski Hintertux, or Stubai glacier, Kaprun (Kitztein glacier), Garmisch (Zugspitze glacier), Soelden glaciers, Kaunertal glacier or the Pitztal glacier. You'd be spoilt for choice so it would be a good idea to book your flights now.

At that time of the year there would be no need to book accommodation. We turned up 2 weeks ago on an Austrian Bank Holiday and there were hundreds of guesthouses advertising rooms in the valley. We found a lovely B & B for €28 each per night.

Here's the Hintertux webcam link:-

http://www.hintertux.at/wetter-live-cams/live-cams/gefrorene-wand.html

They are currently offering skiing from 3200m down to 2100m - so a decent vertical drop to keep you busy....

We have flights booked to Munich again for 2 nights from 11th December and will decide nearer the time where to ski for 3 days. Again, we'll just turn up and find a B & B for the weekend. Can't wait! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Guys.
I think I'll book flights to Geneva or Zurich for the dates we want and book the resort closer to the time. I would much prefer to ski in Eurpoe given the travel time, as opposed to Canada, and I'm sure the mrs would too.
Its a surprise trip for her, but she loves skiing as much as myself so I've no doubt she'll love the idea. Its to mark a 'special' occasion, so I'm looking for somewhere suitably romantic.
We've both been to Ischgl, so I'd like to try somewhere else. We'd like to stay in the same hotel / resort for the week, and not have to move around 'chasing the snow'...its a holiday too!! Also I'de prefer somewhere we can get a train from the airport to. I dont want to have to bother with hiring a car and driving on roads I'm not sure of in bad conditions.

So far I'm looking at: ...and opinions are welcome on what you guys think would be the most suitable. I'm also looking for hotel recommendations. Preferably close to lifts and town centre. (not asking for much so, eh wink )
Zermatt -I hear the town itself is very spread out?
Tignes
Saas Fee - It there a large enough skiing area to keep us occupied for a week?
Hintertux
Kaprun
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Saas fee has plenty skiing. It kept me occupied for a whole season last year so you'll be fine. Already got snow in the village and when I turned up last year in the first week of December there was already about a metre and a half at village level

Try www.otp.co.uk for packages including accommodation, rail transfers and ski pass. Tell them mike sent you Happy

Anythin else you want to know about the place then just ask
latest report
I'd knock tignes right off the list if you want both romantic and reachable by train; Tignes is neither.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy