Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for a pre Xmas 4-5 day trip

Poster: A snowHead
Some suggestions please for a 4-5 night trip around 16-17th December.

Probably has to be Geneva airport just down to number of flight options (Manchester is our nearest , could stretch as far as Luton but won’t do Heathrow or Gatwick as too far to drive)

Just me and my wife so a resort with plenty of gentle options so we can ski together without falling out (I am a decent skier and she is a reluctant intermediate).
A pretty place wanted for some Xmas vibes - but nothing too rowdy.
Good restaurants on and off mountain.
Some off slope diversions.
Would like a hotel near to lifts / home run and with a pool and spa for some afternoon lolling about.
Max 2 hours from airport.
Ideally we would have gone to Selva but Innsbruck flights not available and Venice is a bit too far.

Was considering Megève for the gentle skiing and atmosphere but it’s quite low (not snow sure) and pricing up hotels it seems expensive for what you get ?

Other good options ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might have to compromise, some of the lower, prettier, places might not even be fully open then, let alone snowsure.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Verbier is less than 2 hrs away but not many blue pistes.
Tignes is more than 2 hrs away but I think (and hope) it has a lot to offer that early
How about Avoriaz? You could ask in the relevant forum re: mid December open pistes there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is Austria/Salzburg an option? Would have lots of Christmasy stuff going on major towns like Zell am See. Direct train from Sazlburg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sheffskibod wrote:
Was considering Megève for the gentle skiing and atmosphere but it’s quite low (not snow sure) and pricing up hotels it seems expensive for what you get?

Evasion Mont Blanc is only scheduled to open properly from 17th December, though they are hoping for some early season restricted opening the week before. As you say, none of it is particularly high so pre-Christmas snowfall is not guaranteed though I would expect key runs to have artificial snow regardless.

As you discovered Megeve is an upmarket (=expensive) resort, you will find more reasonable prices over the hill in St Gervais. And it is similarly close to Geneva airport. I am biased, but I would say it meets your criteria for prettiness and good restaurants.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
St Gervais is the sort of traditional town which is attractive even without any snow - which is not true of many ski resorts.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
4/5 nights is always tricky.... Avoriaz maybe a good balance, not so far from Geneva, snow "garanty" mid-december......
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Personally I think I'd head for Tignes Val Claret - a bit further, and not exactly quaint, but as close to snowsure as you'll find and lots to do.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I will take a look at St Gervais.

Anywhere nearer in Switzerland ? Verbier might be a bit too full on and steep for my missus.

Salzburg I will look again but think limited number of flights was an issue.
Geneva wins here as generally multiple flights per day from Manchester , East Midlands or brum.

Tignes is a no - apologies to anyone who loves it but it’s a bit bleak … fine for me as a keen skier but my wife would hate it.

I will take a look at Avoriaz - my wife knows the name as she had a lovely instructor in La Ros a few years ago who came from there and he spoke highly of it.
My memory (as a child) was lots of apartment blocks though … not especially pretty?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Avoriaz opens on 10/12 - if you don’t mind a bus ride you could stay in Morzine. If you stay in town there’s options with pools, some decent restaurants and one 15 min free bus up to Prodains and a fast lift up to Avoriaz. There are hotels at Prodains but not a lot else.

Manchester Geneva flights are good as there’s an 1815 flight out Thursdays and Fridays and a 2140 flight back Sunday and Monday (I think it goes to 1930 Tuesday) - so you can ski the day you come home without having to rush.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Champéry for easy acces via Geneva using train connect.

Pretty village, good choice of accommodation etc. May not ski home run but no impediment as villge centre is direct cable car to plateau skiing, very easy to use.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
St Gervais is the sort of traditional town which is attractive even without any snow - which is not true of many ski resorts.

Which it needs to be for a December visit, any snow at town level probably won't last that long.

The other thought is Les Contamines just up the road (and on the same ski pass). It tends to be a bit more snow sure due to its location, though not as extensive as St Gervais/Megeve. Whether it meets your requirements for attractiveness I don't know, but there are worse places. @jedster is the person to ask about restaurants, but some are OK on the slopes.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zermatt?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

My memory (as a child) was lots of apartment blocks though … not especially pretty?

It's not especially pretty but it's high and in mid December you can choose either snowy or pretty - not both. If your wife is a reluctant skier and prefers somewhere pretty chocolate box, then you might need to change your dates.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The problem with pre-Christmas trips is that many resorts don't open their pistes up fully, even if the snow cover is good. This is to preserve them for the key Christmas and New Year visitors. So if you chose a resort on the basis of being 100% open and it isn't, you could be disappointed. So just be aware of less-than-full opening as a factor when looking at candidates.

Just to look on the positive side, here's a photo of us on a December trip to the 4 Vallées (Verbier-La Tzoumaz-Nendaz) a few years ago. Yes, there couldn't have been more than 10-15 people skiing the La Tzoumaz/Savoleyres sector, although even in these conditions, only the upper slopes (around 25Kms) were open. Verbier was the same, with only the upper slopes open.

snow conditions
As suggested upthread, Champery could be good and a reasonably simple train journey. Otherwise Villars is pretty and has plenty of blues and easy reds.
latest report
Lufthansa fly from Manchester to Munich, from where the Skiwelt is a relatively short transfer or train/taxi away. Opens on 8th December, usually pretty close to fully open by the middle of the month, and will be quiet at that time - as in you may be the only people on a piste, or you may find that restaurants are empty or with only a few tables occupied. Some don't open until much closer to Christmas. There are good hotel options in Soll and Ellmau, some with easy lift access, though if you are happy with a bus then Soll is more scenic and has a better village centre and restaurant choices if you want to eat out.

There's no guarantee of good snow conditions, but if that's essential then book late or consider a slightly longer transfer to the Zillertal where you have Hintertux at the end of the valley for guaranteed (cold) glacier skiing.
ski holidays
@sheffskibod, Manchester (and Luton at quite a bit cheaper) has flights to Milan Malpensa. Which opens up Italy - e.g. Champoluc is just over 2 hours. Fits your requirements and the newish hotel https://charmantpetitlac.com/ has spa etc. If there's not so omuch natural snow they are pretty good at making it. OPening planned (snow permitting) Friday Dec 2 https://www.visitmonterosa.com/en/comprensorio-monterosa-ski-2/

I doubt Champery is open.
snow conditions
Munich seems to have good flight options on the way out from Manchester on the 16th .... I wonder is Obergurgl too far a transfer ?
Looks like 3.5 hrs ?? (we can do Innsbruck to Manchester on way home to offset which is a more reasonable 1.5 hr!!).

Obergurgl skiing would definitely suit my wife after a couple of years not skiing much . Snow sure ...

I realise I am drifting away from the original brief but she has been reading the where to ski books ...

Champoluc I worry that there are some steep pitches on the home slopes (and others). And since there are very few runs - not much workaround .

Skiwelt area looks worryingly low ...?

Mayrhofen perhaps ? Lots to do in town / apres . Decent altitude (plus glacier). 2 hrs or so from Munich and an hour back to Innsbruck?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 8-11-22 20:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@sheffskibod, you can avoid all steep pitches by starting and finishing on the Frachey funicular. but that involves drive/bus.

the home run is totally fine, btw. there aren't a million runs, and they are somewhat binary forward/back but the runs are nice and long. just one steepish bit in fairness en route from Sarezza towards Belvedere.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

It's not especially pretty but it's high and in mid December you can choose either snowy or pretty - not both.

You can - in Lech. But then may have to compromise on the flights instead so not much help! Unless Zurich or Munich are doable for the OP?
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

It's not especially pretty but it's high and in mid December you can choose either snowy or pretty - not both.

You can - in Lech. But then may have to compromise on the flights instead so not much help! Unless Zurich or Munich are doable for the OP?

We can do Manchester to Munich on the way out on 16th Dec and then fly back from Innsbruck on 21st.

So Lech would be at least 3 hrs on way out but a much better 1.5 hrs on way home …

I do not know much about Lech other than it has a glitzy reputation…!
latest report
It looks lovely but was always far too expensive to even think about when I used to look at brochures!!
latest report
@sheffskibod, Skiwelt is not the highest area, but it has a reasonably good snow record from mid-December through to late March. The fact that it opens on the 8th December says as much - the villages are low, and the Brixen side is south facing and tends to be bad lower down, but many of the slopes face northwest to northeast and stay in good condition throughout the season. What it does have is a number of really fun valley runs which are long and generally of red grade, and which can combine to provide a lot of vertical.

To get an idea of the snow history, take a look at the webcams, e.g. https://www.skiwelt.at/en/webcam-hopfgarten-soell-skiwelt-livecam-gipfel-hohe-salve.html and then click on the menu button on the bottom left and choose Archive, and wind back to e.g. 16th December 2021 where you see the upper slopes and a lovely inversion in the valley - the images from the 18th December show the whole valley clearly, and the snow cover is complete at the bottom. Some of the other cameras also have the archive facility - look at Hochsoll or the Brixen bergstation for the lower altitudes.

Is it the highest resort in Salzburgerland? No. Is it the biggest in Salzburgerland? No. Is it the most challenging for black runs and off piste? No. Is it a reasonable place for a short trip and within 90 minutes of Munich by car? Oh yes.
snow conditions
@ousekjarr what is your opinion on Ellmau ?

Looks like a pretty little place , gentle easy skiing locally for my wife and I can get further afield.
And have found a very nice hotel on the side of the nursery slope which would be ideal.

We can get there via private transfer (or rent a car) or even use the train pretty easily from Munich airport (to Wörgl and then a 30 min taxi).

And come home from Innsbruck which is even easier !
snow conditions
@sheffskibod, Ellmau is handy for skiing, and has good local facilities including a swimming pool and leisure centre. However, the village is a little bland and the food and beer options are a bit limited to my mind.

If the hotel you've found is on Kirchbichl then I think I know the place, and it's good.
latest report
leggyblonde wrote:
As suggested upthread, Champery could be good and a reasonably simple train journey. Otherwise Villars is pretty and has plenty of blues and easy reds.

Villars is a great choice and has a better than you’d think early snow record but I’ve never tested it so early in Dec, only Jan.
There’s always a blue if you don’t fancy the red. Only tricky bit for debutantes might be the squirrely pitch/path down from Chaux Ronde to the crossing chair towards Diablerets.
@sheffskibod, Villars is a train ride from Geneva to Aigle and then a local train up to Villars - about 2 hrs.
latest report
Ryanair fly Man-Treviso most days, including out 17th Dec and back 22nd. Only issue is, the plane arrives in Italy about 7pm so you’ll miss dinner if there are any hold ups (I speak from experience here) and have to sort any equipment the following morning. Treviso is 30-40 mins closer to Arabba/Alta Badia than VCE. It’s only a few lifts round to Selva from Corvara but I don’t know how long it takes by car.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To close this off , we eventually settled on Mayrhofen.

A reasonable transfer time from Munich (and a quick trip to Innsbruck on the way home).
Found a lovely hotel (Elisabeth) and a good ski school for my wife (Habeler) with a late morning start (private lesson)
A little walk to penken lift but ski bus stops right outside hotel anyway.

Town offers a lot of off slope diversions and activities in case my wife really doesn’t enjoy getting back to skiing.

Yes the town is low but the skiing is mostly high (including glacier if there is a drought).

Ellmau was second choice but worried me as though we found a lovely looking hotel next to nursery slopes , if there was little or no snow - getting to main lift for lessons would have been a real hassle.

I discounted champoluc for this trip as I think the slope gradients would have set my wife back… maybe another time when she is a bit more confident.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy