Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aptamil baby milk in Morzine

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, hoping someone who lives or goes to Morzine regularly can help. Heading there in January this year with MrsDrluvski and our baby who will be 5 months old. Cant wait. Staying in a great apartment and hoping for lots of snow.

Does anyone know if they sell aptamil baby milk in ready made cartons (200ml) in Morzine. In the UK they are in small blue cartons. We can take them over, but 20+ cartons weighs about 5kg. Hope someone can check it out. Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Drluvski, how about getting the baby used to some of the other brands so that you can cope with whatever is there? I ran out of the formula for my grand-daughter a couple of nights ago and used full fat long life. She didn't turn a hair; it went down just as fast.

I have been trying to persuade my daughter to move away from formula, actually, now that Ella has her first two teeth. Formula is so sugary. She never goes to bed with a bottle of milk, but she does often still have a bottle in the middle of the night and I don't like to think of her teeth bathing in the sugary milk.

I read a leaflet on children's oral health in my dentist's waiting room the other day, and that was very stern about how essential it was to move away from formula once babies have teeth - poor mothers these days, so much different advice from all corners (including granny!).

If you want to stick to the Aptamil, enough powder for a week wouldn't weigh much?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, hi. Yep, by the time she has any teeth we will be getting her off the milk. I've heard how bad it is for teeth. Had thought about getting her used to the powdered stuff to prepare her for the trip but have read that some babies sick it up more. If its not stocked anywhere in Morzine, thats the route we'll take. Thanks for your help.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Drluvski, very unlikely I would have thought, whenever I have looked it's always been nestle brand milks. If you can get it will probably be called by a different name. If you can find out what the french equivalent is then the local pharmacie will probably be able to order it in. I would try contacting the UK manufacturer and asking them for advice.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Drluvski wrote:
pam w, hi. Yep, by the time she has any teeth we will be getting her off the milk. I've heard how bad it is for teeth. Had thought about getting her used to the powdered stuff to prepare her for the trip but have read that some babies sick it up more. If its not stocked anywhere in Morzine, thats the route we'll take. Thanks for your help.

bear in mind you will pay through the nose for it!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Drluvski, It very much depends on how much you believe about what you are told you should be feeding baby and what common sense tells you works. Now I'm not suggesting that you do the same, but to echo the above thoughts, I also had mine on full cream milk by 5 mths (in fact mine were on it from about 3-4 weeks old) - I had a little bottle of childrens vitamin supplement that I added a few drops for a little while, but gave that up as over-egging things in the finish too. I'm afraid I read the ingredients list on the back of a tin/carton of formula (which is worth doing if you haven't ever done so) and decided that fresh natural product had to be a better bet that all that junk in formula made on the back of whey of all things! - left overs from the cheese making process. FWIW when I did use formula for just a few weeks I used the powdered sort without problems. Babies are much tougher than you think. Babies are now two strapping kids 10 and 8 yrs old!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Drluvski, I can check it out but not until after 26 December which will probably be too late for you. There are several snowHeads who live in Morzine who hopefully will see this thread.

If you are really stuck, and you are there at the same time, we could bring some out in the car and you could collect from Les Gets before 3 Jan.

We have brought dog food to some friends in Les Carroz before now so this would be a change (and take less room Very Happy )
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
French baby milk is very expensive. I think Milupa do make a French version of Aptamil (but it's just called Milupa), but is only in powdered form. Guigoz brand is readily available and is apparently the nearest equivalent (it also comes in ready to drink).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lou, That is a very kind offer. We are in Morzine from the 2nd to 9th Jan. I will give the powdered stuff a go first though and get in touch if I need to take you up on it. Thanks for the help everyone. Megamum, Just read the ingredients on the side of the carton. Doesnt look too healthy!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would recommend avoiding cows milk if you can until they are a year old - far more likely to have allergy issues in later life if the introduced to it before a year.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thebigz, the advice is that you can start to add it to the diet once baby is taking solids around 6 months. The reason for using formula as a drink up to 1 year old is more a nutritional one. After all, cows milk is designed for calves not humans.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

After all, cows milk is designed for calves not humans.

Quite Very Happy Who discovered that cows milk was drinkable and what were they doing under that cow Toofy Grin Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Are you flying into Geneva Airport? There are two pharmacies in the airport (one by the departures security gate and one in the attached shopping centre by the train station), and they definitely sell it. Our baby is using Aptamil in Switzerland, and we have bought a box or two there before when dropping off or picking up relatives.

It's the boxes of powder though I'm referring too - not sure I've seen any ready made, but then I've not looked for these to be fair.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, OK, but were babies designed to live off formula? They were of course designed to live off breast milk.

In an age where artificial stuff is often denounced, it is generally considered OK to stuff infants with products from the chemical industry. It is very funny that you can't easily find lists of ingredients on the internet either for these formula milks - I have just googled Aptamil ingredients, and not easily found 'hits' - does the formula industry have something to hide?

They are on the formula packets - in some of the smallest writing on the tin. I have dug out an old tin of Farleys First Milk - suitable from Birth!!! - about 7 years old:

Demineralised whey
Skimmed milk
Vegetable oils
Lactose
Fish oil
Potassium chloride
Sodium citrate
Calcium lactate
Magnesium sulphate
Calcium carbonate
Vitamin C
Potassium hydroxide
Taurine
Iron sulphate
Potassium carbonate
Zinc sulphate
Niacin
Vitamin E
Pantothenic acid
Vitamin A
Copper sulphate
Riboflavin
Thiamin
Citric Acid
Vitamin B6
Beta carotene
Manganese sulphate
Vitamin K
Folic acid
Potassium iodide
Vitamin D
Biotin
Vitamin B12

Now I wonder how that compares with the ingredients in Breast milk. I am a chemist and I know which of the above are the vitamins, but I bet the child didn't need all of the above stuffed into it. Admittedly they seem to be formulated to sustain a child (and clearly kids don't die on it), but given the alternative of the above mixture or a natural product - I chose to plump for the latter as soon as I possibly could (once I got the health visitor of my back!). It just seems to go against the grain that folks generally seem anti chemicals and artificial things, yet with the proportion of the population that we seem to decry chemicals for the most we seem happy to pump them full of an artificially made concoction just because we are told it is the right thing to do. I'm not saying it isn't, but I think parents ought to make sure they have looked at things from all perspectives. For a short holiday with a gradual pre-holiday introduction I doubt full cream milk will do baby any harm.

thebigz, I know that has been said, but I've no idea how significant the stats were. It would be good to pull the study apart with a fine toothed comb.

The human population certainly didn't do any harm from the year dot to about 100 years ago on what nature provided regardless of when they were weaned. Would we be here if they hadn't?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote ,
Quote:

The human population certainly didn't do any harm from the year dot to about 100 years ago on what nature provided regardless of when they were weaned. Would we be here if they hadn't?

Because they were all breastfed then of course.

Classic Snowheads gold! The OP asks if he can buy baby milk in Morzine and gets all manner of infant nutrition advice Laughing Laughing

My twopenneth now put baby on boob, job done. Simples wink
snow report
Mumsnet invasion!! rolling eyes
ski holidays
The advice is very conflicting. Everyone agrees breast is best. But beyond that, the dentists sternly advise against formula once they have teeth (because it's so sugary) and others advise against unprocessed cows milk till 12 months.

And, of course, historically and in almost all poorer societies now vast numbers of babies died. Infant death is now a small fraction of what it was even 50 years ago, so it's nonsense to suggest that modern ideas are necessarily wrong.
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
Megamum wrote ,
Quote:

Because they were all breastfed then of course.

Classic Snowheads gold! The OP asks if he can buy baby milk in Morzine and gets all manner of infant nutrition advice Laughing Laughing

My twopenneth now put baby on boob, job done. Simples wink

However 5months in Jan, means 2months now. It sounds like they are already using formula which means they aren't currently breast feeding. It is incredibly difficult to relactate (I know people who have tried), and once a baby gets used to bottles, they flow much more easily and forget how to latch properly. I suspect it isn't an option. However reasons like OP question, I am so glad I am breastfeeding.
latest report
Actually I don't necessarily believe breast *is* best - but my god you're going to get that message flung at you! Shocked

The majority of the research done to compare breast milk to formula milk was conducted in the early 70s (!) and references women without adequate money to buy formula, or clean sanitation for preparation of the aforementioned formula. The research presented to us, the GP, is often biased (of course) - e.g., recent headlines in the paper stated that formula was more likely to make your child obese. What did they use as the control in their experiment? Did they actually compare the formula babies with bm babies? Nope, they were comparing "super-enriched" formula (for preemies) against "regular" formula fed babies. Oh dear... I've gone all mumsnet & ranty. Embarassed Laughing Ten times as many studies are conducted on an annual basis in to erectile dysfunction.
ski holidays
From a practical point of view fresh cows milk will be a right pain the backside to cart round resort with you and keep cool. At least with formula it's transportable. I would really recommend just taking a tub of powder with you, and then boiling up water each morning for the days bottles.
latest report
Alexandra, Actually I agree that breast may not be best in some situations, I'm only trying to say that formula may not be best either. I couldn't breast feed so never had any option, but to buy the ruddy formula and I must say that more than anything else was what annoyed me - the lack of choice. I wanted to feed a natural product and it didn't exist and there was no advice that you could get given on how best to adapt the natural things that you could get (other proper milks) for infant feeding - no professional person would give me that because it 'wasn't currently recommended'. I resented the lack of choice which meant I had no option, but to glug that formula gunk down my kids neck. Mind you I was never gung ho that I wanted to breast feed either - I just wanted an option that wasn't formula.
latest report
Megamum, the only alternative I've found so far involves a 40 year exile in to the desert... not overly practical. Toofy Grin You might like this link if you've got a bit of time to read it: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/04/the-case-against-breast-feeding/7311/ - I realise that for you all issues are way, way, way in the past - but I think it's interesting anyway from a feminist pov.
snow report
Quote:

boiling up water each morning for the days bottles.

that's an old fashioned way of doing it. wink these days, all water has to be freshly boiled and mixed immediately before feeding - sitting 4 bottles in the fridge door is very frowned upon! wink I have had the riot act read to me by my daughter, so I do it according to the book!

It's all very fraught, isn't it? My daughter did breastfeed to 6 months, but it was very hard at times, what with desperately sore nipples and baby not putting on weight fast enough - and some horribly bossy "breast feeding counsellors" who were definitely in the wrong job and come up with total nonsense like "if you've got sore nipples it's because you're doing it wrong". She got through it all, but she had a great deal of support and only 1 baby. I did night feeds with a sodding syringe sometimes (can't be having "nipple confusion", don't you know.....) which really wasn't very cuddly at all.
snow report
pam w, if I'd had to do that when my eldest son was a baby, I would probably have committed infanticide by the time the bottle was prepared.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, yes, I think it's all a bit OTT really. But there are times when one just has to shut up and comply with new mum's wishes! At least she's had the commonsense to give the baby cold bottles and food - which she's more than happy with. And, of course, that's better bacteriologically.
snow report
My Wife breastfed for as long as she could, but ultimately after 3 months she wasn't producing enough despite very regular feeding patterns and pumping each time too, and so we had to switch over to formula milk, with the doctor's blessing.

It's not always a straightforward choice, but the baby couldn't be any healthier or happier than she is now Little Angel
snow report
I tend to think that if you have a hungry baby who isn't getting filled up on formula (even the more advanced ones)/breast or whatever, then surely its best to poke some grub into them rather than have a post baby blues mother sling her infant against the wall '(or go quietly mad herself) cos it won't stop crying. Both mine had grub nice and early (about 6 and 8 weeks IIRC) - it stopped 'em crying and I got early sleeps through the night (phew). Everyone was a winner IMV. I worked on the theory listen to the advice, work out why they 'have' to tell you that (to stop someone suing them if it goes pear shaped) then stick it through the common sense filter and make up my own mind!!
latest report
my daughter discovered - actually reading some breastfeeding stuff on an online forum - that sometimes there's a big gap before the "hind milk" comes in, which means that unless baby (and mother) have the patience, it never does. Having been born on the 75th percentile (weight) her baby dropped down to the 25th, which rings all the health visitor alarm bells and gets mums very worried. The baby was feeding often too, which is a problem in itself. Once the penny dropped and she learnt to encourage Ella to keep sucking until the glugging started again, everything went much better - and after a while the supply problem sorted it out.
None of the health visitors, midwives or counsellors had suggested such a problem - her reading of that forum turned out to be a very good thing. I'd been assuring her that there'd be no problem giving Ella bottles but she was upset to think she might have to stop feeding (and half and half solutions tend not to work for long). She gave up breastfeeding in time to be completely stopped and getting back into some normal kind of clothes before she started her part time teaching job in September but I think she'd have been hard on herself if she'd stopped earlier and once she got good at it she did, of course, find that it was super-easy compared to the alternatives.

She's also determined not to use more disposable nappies than she has to, because she is very conscious of the landfill problems. So she's discovered some very high tech and clever re-usables - even re-usable baby wipes which are actually very good. It's hard work being a modern mum!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here in NL we don't boil the water for bottles! Shocked NehNeh Furthermore we don't sterilise daily! We use tap-water then whack it in the microwave and I was advised to sterilise every 2/3 days. Long-term studies were showing that children were developing allergies with the "modern" way of sterilising everything. My baby is *still* alive - despite some rather enthusiastic french-kissing from the dog.

I do love the washable nappies though - always think wet disposables have a very "odd" chemical smell about them. Puzzled

It's all well and good swearing blind that "breast is best" - but when you put the equivalent of silica crystals next to your baby's bum and then slather his skin in parabens you'll make me roll my eyes like a mofo! rolling eyes NehNeh
snow conditions
Drluvski, OMG I bet you wish you'd never asked.
ski holidays
The Voice of Reason wrote:
Mumsnet invasion!! rolling eyes

We dont want any of that Mumnets porno stuff on snowHeads thank you very much. This is a family site running it's own family holidays now, dont you know Laughing
snow conditions
Lou wrote:
Drluvski, OMG I bet you wish you'd never asked.

I took the powder with me , and a spare one in hand luggage. I also over filled the bottles with water, enough for about 7 feeds. Learned this going to Oz, just as well we had a 7 hour delay at Gatwick, so pleased to have the powder to hand, with previously boiled water. We also used all the nappies we had in our hand luggage.Hope this helps.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:

I am a chemist and I know which of the above are the vitamins,

I'm not but I'd hazard a guess at the ones called vitamin somethingorother.
snow report
IIRC I had a small flask that carried enough boiled water for a couple of feeds (hot or cold), and it had a couple of plastic containers which fitted into it to take enough powder for each feed. It was handy for travelling. I think for a holiday if the OP doesn't want to use milk that a tin of powder could well be the best option.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
IIRC I had a small flask that carried enough boiled water for a couple of feeds (hot or cold), and it had a couple of plastic containers which fitted into it to take enough powder for each feed. It was handy for travelling. I think for a holiday if the OP doesn't want to use milk that a tin of powder could well be the best option.

I wanted to draw attention to what should have been 8 hours door to door became 15, and if we had not had the spare capacity we could have had a problem, but yes what you describe would work.
snow report
Drluvski, I agree with those advising to take a tin of the powdered formula. At five months your baby will have a much stronger stomach. Maybe buy a tin now and give her one feed a day on it to see that she is ok. TBH I would be very surprised if it made any difference. Neither of my girls really sicked up after meals, despite being on formula from six/seven weeks - powder from tins for the most part.
ski holidays
Drluvski, as a helpful suggestion to the original
question. You might find more choice at the airport (if it is a major one you are flying to) then you could buy more there rather than going over your weight limit on the flight?
latest report
Reading all this brought back bad memories of my daughter's early feeding. Spud9 Jnr. was breast fed to start with, but at about 3 weeks old she became more and more difficult to feed. Formula milk didn't help. she started loosing weight and was admitted to hospital at 9 weeks. A few days later she was diagnosed with a rare heart defect (ALCAPA- Anomalous Origin of Left Coronary Artery on Pulminory Artery) and had major open heart surgery at Great Ormond Street a few days later. 9 days on a ventilator followed.

When we took Jnr home (after a month in hospital) she was fed by syringe every 3 hours through an NG tube (a tube going in through her nose). Each feeding involved three syringes, plus she was on eight different drugs, all delivered via sryinge, some of the drugs were 4 times a day. We were getting through about 40 disposable syringes a day, we had boxes of the things everywhere. We did however get special high energy formula milk on prescription, so that saved some money.

The tube was removed at 6 months and things slowly got back to normal. Jnr is now a normal healthy girl with boundless energy, she's now nearly 6. Her only medication now is a tiny aspirin tablet every morning.

In retrospect the worst time was around weeks 5-8 when we were struggling to feed Jnr without success, while the health visitors and doctors told us we were doing it wrong. Once in the NHS 'machine' she was extremely well looked after.

It all seems a very long time ago and something that happened in another life. More importantly Jnr will be going on her first ski holiday in February snowHead
latest report
Drluvski, Nappies are painfully expensive too! Pack as many of them as you can.
snow report
I don't know why I am reading this Puzzled , except I'm due to go to Morzine in Jan & am hungry for news of snow.
Megamum,The Farley's formulation looks full of essentials, the inclusion copper sulphate is a bit scarey Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy