Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skis and plastic skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

So am investing in a new pair of Skis and am looking for advice for which skis to buy

- I just started last year but am going down blues and a few reds (when I get a bit lost).

- I like to go off piste when possible, not miles off the beaten track but found the hire skis got stuck in the unpisted snow

- I do not want a set of skis that are going to last one season before I get frustrated and upgrade. I plan on skiing as much as possible this year so they should allow for lots of improvement.

- Budget proably about £300, if I can get a set of 2009/2010 skis for a good price that would be nice

Have been looking at Salomon Lord/Threat and the Head Peak Range. Also I am in Edinburgh so am I wondering about Skiing at Hillend jsut for a bit of practice of days when the pentlands have a thin covering of snow. How much damage does this do to your skis or is it ok and you just need to get them serviced more regularly?

Any advice would be great.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roscoeh,
Quote:

Also I am in Edinburgh so am I wondering about Skiing at Hillend jsut for a bit of practice of days when the pentlands have a thin covering of snow. How much damage does this do to your skis or is it ok and you just need to get them serviced more regularly?

If the slope is wet, and the matting is in good condition, you won't do too much harm. Your edges will get blunted very quickly, and any loose wire in the matting may damage the bases. So for the odd day, if the slope is wet, you'll be fine. If the slope is dry (and I can't remember if Hillend has misting)... then the heat build up will melt your bases - so best not too.

I find that a week's early season skiing in Europe does waaay more damage than skiing on a (wet) dry slope...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plastic slopes dull the edges quite quickly. In dry conditions base wear can be rapid as well.

Some years back Atomic made "plastic slope" skis with specially hard bases for that very reason.

I don't use any of my snow skis on plastic, I have a pair for plastic use only.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

- I like to go off piste when possible, not miles off the beaten track but found the hire skis got stuck in the unpisted snow

I don't think that is just the skis - there may be an element of skier in there too. You do need to keep the momentum up and given your description of your skiing level I suspect that there will be other issues too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks, what about the skis I should buy any suggestions?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For the snow use you describe the Head Peaks are probably as good as any and could be used on wet (or snowy) days on plastic.
Some Zardoz applied each morning can help keep your skis moving in wet snow.

If you wanted something just to use on plastic, I would buy a pair of Orion Space Carbon or a second hand slalom ski no longer than 155, or 160 at a push.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roscoeh, do Hillend not provide skis as part of the price? Think I would opt for those rather than my own.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lorenzo, Rental skis at dryslopes tend to be soft and blunt... you'll get a much better ski on sharper ones...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy