Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Claviere

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, just paid for our family holiday with Crystal to the Hotel Grande Claviere at end of January. Anyone have any info/ experience of this hotel/resort? Trip advisor reviews don't seem to good.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was there NY 2007. Staff were nice and food decent. Needed money spent on it, as did claviere
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been a while since I was in Claviere, but it definately seemed the red-headed-orphan compared to its neighbours.

And welcome to snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Claviere itself is a bit limited but you'll be right next door to Montgenevre and just a few kilometers from Serre Chevalier. Endless scope for great skiing. Relax and do the research. You'll have a great time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Easy route to Montgenevre is the red run, its only red becasue its a track ie only 5m wide, but it crosses the black briefly, going back its eather a slow push down the or the highter routes.
There is a green run to Montgenevre but you have to walk from the village to the old chair, going back can be down on the empty long blue from Sierre Tibaud lift, and again there is a walk at the end back to Claviere centre
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cracking wee resort with some great skiing on quiet slopes and great food available up the mountains. Access to Montgenevre is easy and between there and Claviere you have a pretty big area to explore over the course of a week. Not so well linked to the rest of the Vialattea but the link is there if you fancy a bit of adventure.

Had friends stay at the Grande a couple of seasons ago and they liked it very much. Very good reports of the child care as well.

I really like Claviere as it's held on to its original village feel. Some people look at this as a negative, but once you've been in and out and sampled the wee cafes/delis etc you'll like it.

Get a pizza at kilt on the first night and you'll go back for more - best Pizza i've tasted.

A good place for a family to base themselves, which is only really let down by lack of swimming pool.

Enjoy.

ps. as has been said, there's been plenty of previous discussion about Claviere, especially last year and there's a few lengthy threads on the subject - search is your friend Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all . Shoogly , it was actually crystals free child care that tempted us to go for this hotel. that and the 2 for 1 local lift pass offer as well. although having read other posts on snowHead i am hoping it wont be to much hassle to upgrade them to the Claviere/Montgenevre Monte della Luna pass.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
if you're a decent skier, you'll quickly outski the Claviere only area, unless there's plenty of snow before you get there to provide a good base for some off piste.

the very bottom run into claviere is a bit tight in places for absolute beginners but the rest of it more than makes up for that.

pm me your email address and i'll send you a pdf piste map that i've made additions to.

Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Completely agree with shoogly - really like Claviere although don't know the Grande.

Feels like a proper village - but is small with limited shoppiing and nightlife although it's only down the road from Montgenevre. Don't go expecting to rock the town till 4am!

Slopes over claviere side much quieter than Montgenevre - not fantastic scope for beginners but great for intermediates - pretty, treelined and easy to get over to Montgenevre. Mountain restaurants on Italian side better quality and value than in France - don't miss Restaurant La Coche - really friendly great food, good atmosphere

Ditto Pizzaria Kilt not to be missed - you'll have a great holiday
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DrewGeddes, we stayed at the Grande 3 yrs ago with Crystal, we really liked it, yes the decor was a bit tired but it was clean and the room a really good size for 4 of us. The food was fine and plenty of it, the staff were really good apart from the manager at the time was a bit strange Toofy Grin The afternoon teatime was particlularly manic as there were lots of children there running around, and as its a large chalet everyone back at the same time for cake was very busy!

You can ski from the rear of the hotel along a flatish path all the way to the ski school meet point, and back to the hotel along a fairly easy red. You can also ski to Montgenevre, we much preferred the skiing in claviere, pretty tree lined runs and Claviere is pretty much a traditional village, with a lovely cheese and wine type market! I would not recommend booking your equipment hire through Crystal as they sedn you to the shopp by the ski school, they were rubbish, the equipment poor and really over used, unfortunatly our friends had booked with them and had to keep changing their gear, the shop was packed on arrival day and the staff literally threw you boots, skis, poles and said Bye! We got ours from the shop just across the road, it was a complete contrast. Enjoy your stay there we had a great time snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Enjoyed our stay at the Grande Claviere over New Year 2009/10. The hotel itself was pretty basic but just what you'd expect from a crystal club hotel (stayed at the L'hermitage in Alpe D'Huez a few years ago - very similar). We luckily had a family room (2 interconnecting rooms) which was more than adequate.
The staff were great, food was as you would expect, kids tea a bit hectic but fine. A special mention to the creche staff as they were excellent. Our kids (1 & 3) loved the creche and couldn't wait to go each day (they were in for mornings only). Great location, with easy access to an easy slope to the ski school meeting point. One downside was the level of equipment from Crystal. I would not recommend booking equipment through them. There was a nicer hire shop accross the road, a bit cheaper too )quite small so not sure of how much stock they would have during busy weeks).
Skiing wise, Claviere wasn't very challenging. Some nice pistes, but easily doable in a day. Plenty for the wife (who likes a nice leisurely ski!) as we only had mornings to ski. Had a day in Montgenevre on our pass, which was much better.
Unfortunately, we didn't manage the rest of the milky way which is a shame as Sauze and Sansicario has some lovely cruising reds.

Enjoy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Soogly . Thanks for sending the piste map with all your added info. Claviere/Montgenevre ski area looks ideal for me and the Missus , not to big that we wont be able to make it back to the hotel for lunch with the wee man. Our past 2 ski hols have been to courchevel and although the skiing is superb, the 3 valleys being such a huge area always meant that we would be miles away from courchevel at lunchtime.(that and the missus being knackered).
If you fancy we could hook up with you one day at the Coe before we head of to Italy,
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Shoogly. I'm new on snowheads but have just read this forum. I've booked to go to Claviere next year with a group of friends with children who all go to the same school. I would be grateful if you are able to email me over the piste map you have (if you still have it). I've found one of the Vialettea website but it'd be great to see yours with additions. Kind regards Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
you're going in 2012?

fire me a pm with your email address and i'll fire the map over to you.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for map, very helpful! Yes already booked for next yr to guarantee being together, there's 21 of us so Claviere may be slightly busier next feb!
snow report
didn't even see 6 people never mind 21 people when we were on the Baisses run from Serre Thibaud to the Montquitaine lift on a sunny April afternoon!
snow conditions
For any future reference, this is the map. If anyone sees anyone else asking for it, please direct them to this thread.

Full size version is available here - http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5095/5412502745_cffd458ba2_o.jpg
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy