Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hit The Slopes With Lidl (if you want to)

Poster: A snowHead
Popped into Lidl on the bulk German beer run and picked up their latest "catalogue". It seems ladies, you're in for a treat from this Thursday 11th Nov. I calculate you can deck yourself out from head to toe in Lidl gear for ninety quid. That includes:

Helmet
Jacket
Pants
Base Layer
Mid Layer
Goggles
socks
Glasses
Gloves

The kids stuff is waay cheaper than that. Helmet only £9.99 (reduced from £12.99 Laughing )

Now, I know it isn't to everyone's taste and personally I'll stick to just buying their beer, but for some it might be ideal. All seems semi-technical and stylish if you happen to be a cat walk model.

This stuff even has "Bionic Finish Eco". Now, come on, get down there.

Here it all is: http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=15287
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
She seems happy enough:

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have been using one of their helmets for the last couple of seasons. It fited fine (and I have a huge head) but began to fall apart in that the "wind-up" adjuster strap came adrift. OK, I abused it by picking it up by that strap.

For me, the main thing was that I found out I did want to wear a helmet for a mere £12. For people starting out, you cannot do better (unless you go to Decathlon, maybe!)

snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
More importantly whose gear has the most street cred Lidl or Aldi? wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, Anything I am wearing instantly loses any street-cred it might have had!

snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Posers, i'm still skiing in a donkey jacket I "aquired"from Babcock construction in 1985 IM SOOO HOT!!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Colin B wrote:
Neither. A Dickies Hi-Vis "dig the road up" jacket is in. Have seen a few sliding around in those.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I sometimes top it off by wearing some brazing goggles my grandfather left me from the 1914-18 war
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
adventureontheriverbank, Ah, but do you wear a "Bob the Builder" helmet?

snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, Unusually for you, behind the times !

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68535
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Colin B wrote:
Neither. A Dickies Hi-Vis "dig the road up" jacket is in. Have seen a few sliding around in those.

Teamed with insulated gardening gloves from E bay of course Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
deerman wrote:
Bode Swiller, Unusually for you, behind the times !

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68535

Darn, how did I miss that? Mine had pictures and a fully costed analysis though. It's a dog eat dog world.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller,
Quote:

It seems ladies, you're in for a treat from this Thursday 11th Nov. I calculate you can deck yourself out from head to toe in Lidl gear for ninety quid. That includes:

Helmet

I always find that the ladies are in for treat when a helmet is involved especially of the purple variety wink Laughing

no apologies for the selective quoting Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have used Lidl jacket and pants, as low as -22c, v happy with them
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Now, I know it isn't to everyone's taste and personally I'll stick to just buying their beer, but for some it might be ideal

For some lesser mortals, presumably? wink
latest report
pam w, correct.
snow conditions
My friend who skis with me has made his own camel back from his grans wee wee sack and catheter think it may have come from "piddle"?
snow report
Got my wife and daughter some goggles from Lidl last year. So good, I had to drop back for a pair myself. Not sure if its the same brand this time round.
snow report
Bode Swiller, She's smiling because her photo is been taken inside in a photo studio.....I'd like to see her reaction when she actually steps out into the cold.
ski holidays
Although on reflection, my local offy sells the king of weisbier Fransizkaner for €2.60 at bottle, I've just recently discovered that Lidl sell it for €1.10 a bottle.

I've bought two cases for Christmas.*

*they'll have to be replaced in a fortnight.
latest report
Hello all Very Happy First post!

Popped into Lidl this morning and bought some of their children's ski socks (my kids tell me that they are comfy and warm) at £2.99 a pair, a couple of base layer tops (£3.99 each I think) and several packs of the handwarmers, at 99p for two. Just tried one to see if it worked (we've had these things before and they were rubbish). Result: lovely and warm in about 10 seconds! Bargain!
snow report
It's a shame Tchibo stopped selling in/delivering to the UK. They ahd very good value for money products as wel..
snow report
Montana, Welcome to sH's snowHead
snow report
Kruisler, S'good point that....we still head to London before Christmas to do our Christmas shopping (don't ask....tradition/wedding anniversary bolthole) and we always we nipped into the one in Ealing Broadway to see what they had, and we always picked up something good for the holidays and something useless for the kitchen/bathroom.....oh and a ton of coffee.
snow conditions
I was passing a Lidl in Stoke-on-Trent last weekend and decided to pop in on the off chance. It was a bit of an Aladdin's cave filled with all sorts of things you didn't actually need but suddenly had an irresistible urge to buy.

The best bit though was the smell as you entered the store. It was just like going into one of those Despar supermarkets on the first day of a skiing holiday. I eventually came out with a 4 pack of Moretti beer, some running socks, a packet of strange German biscuits and a desktop oven\grill.
snow conditions
Quote:

desktop oven\grill

I bet you wondered how you ever managed without one. Might pop out to Lidl to have a look for bits and pieces. And some nibbles, and olives and nuts.
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots, Thank you Very Happy

Kruisler, I know - we had some great bits and pieces from Tchibo, including a zip neck insulated ski top, which my husband is still wearing 5 years on, still loves, and it cost about £12 Shocked
snow report
So the only things blokes can really buy are socks and goggles? Puzzled
Gonna be a bit chilly when we hit the slopes then.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
xspleetive, Ah, but the blue helmet comes free. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

desktop oven\grill

I bet you wondered how you ever managed without one. Might pop out to Lidl to have a look for bits and pieces. And some nibbles, and olives and nuts.

The oven's an early Christmas present for my wife's granny. The old dear has had a couple of dizzy spells while bending down to open\close her conventional oven. Having a little counter-top unit means she'll be able to do her pizza and chips without risking life and limb. (Oops, this will probably get the thread move to Apres).
snow report
Well I went to Lidl for the first time in my life yesterday to have a look at this stuff. Specifically wanted to look at the socks but they were too thick and not elasticated enough for me. However, the goggles and sunnies didn't look bad for the money. But overall what a strange shop, I was the only person in there! It seems to be a strange mish-mash of foreign stuff, definitely not somewhere you could do a weekly shop but might be OK for a few bits and pieces if you can decipher the labelling. Don't think I'll be going there again personally.
ski holidays
Kruisler wrote:
It's a shame Tchibo stopped selling in/delivering to the UK. They ahd very good value for money products as wel..

Agree - got some top insulated boots from there which still do sterling service and kept the cold out even in a Canadian Feburary. Missus got a ski jacket there a few years ago which was perfectly good - despite going all the way to Banff and finding the one person who had the identical jacket in all Canada...

Incidently she bought herself a new Westbeach jacket in a knock down TKMaxx bargain basement moment the other week - went to HH for a couple of hours in the fridge, lo and behold, theres another woman in the identical jacket learning to board.
ski holidays
Most of my kit is from Aldi and my latest suit cost £30 there. My last one, also from Aldi, took 4 years before it began to fall apart, which represents v. good value as far as I'm concerned. Their ski glasses are particularly good as they are light but grip well, never coming off even in my most spectacular pile-ups. They are usually good for 3 or 4 seasons.
ski holidays
We have equipped the junior members of the family ski team in helmets, goggle, salopettes and jackets from Lidl and they have performed very well and superbly if cost is taken into consideration. The helmets have taken a bashing (and been replaced accordingly), the googles haven't misted except when left off in -22 degrees and then put on face, the jackets have lasted surprisingly well.

The only let down has been gloves. They are cheap and it showed. Sweaty hands and a liner that sticks to them was not a great combination so out with those and now we have decent gloves for all.

Just got four pairs of googles as we are always losing a pair every time we go somewhere.
ski holidays
I bought one of the thermal tops and its pretty good for the cash. Not up to Icebreaker though. Stretchy too so it keeps my beer pregnancy and moobs under control.
ski holidays
Quote:

I eventually came out with a 4 pack of Moretti beer, some running socks, a packet of strange German biscuits and a desktop oven\grill.

Clive, Toofy Grin

I love LIDL... Did happen to be in and thought the tops looked ok. Did think the ladies jackets and trousers felt a bit thin, but that is entirely based on squeezing the bags they were packed in, so not really scientific.

Quote:

definitely not somewhere you could do a weekly shop but might be OK for a few bits and pieces if you can decipher the labelling. Don't think I'll be going there again personally.

You'd be surprised queen bodecia,. I once did a price comparison on a biggish 'proper shop' between Lidl and Sainsbury's and it the Lidl bill was £10 cheaper for the same shopping. You do have to get over some of the foreign brand ideas, but IMO it is better value - why pay more? It is one of my sad guilty pleasures having a mooch around Lidl Embarassed which like you say is always empty [ a bonus in my book Laughing ]
snow conditions
I was in Lidl Maryhill yesterday.

Hot a bootbag (my old one was broken) £2.99
2 Handwarmers 99p
A wicking long sleve top £2.99
3/4 length thermals £2.99

Less than £10 the lot....

V. V. V. happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Whenever I'm in Lidls (which takes a special trip, when they have things in that I want) I always pick up 2 blocks of their parmesan cheese (lasts me be part of a year in the fridge (parmesan seems indestructible) and you must try their Meribel jam - it is truely excelent and that from a household that makes 60-70lb of jam each year, you won't beat their strawberry or cherry (two we don't get round to doing at home)
ski holidays
mcspreader wrote:
Stretchy too so it keeps my beer pregnancy and moobs under control.

Laughing Laughing Laughing I think I'm damaged from the mental image. Laughing
snow conditions
Megamum, +1 on the Parmesan. Way cheaper than other retailers. And I love the shape of the Maribel jam jars.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy