Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cosy Open Fire Gluhvein Smelly Cheese Fandue Raclette

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I agree with Samerberg Sue about hot tubs. Yuk, yuk and yuk again. All sitting there in a warm bacteriologically rich stew, bubbling away together.
+1
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.sporthotel-neustift.at/The-Hotel.8.0.html?&L=1 if you want class, and you've got the Stubai glacier up the road too. Or for a more friendly vibe (in a lovely family run hotel) http://www.glockenstuhl.at/en/westendorf/our-hotel/index.html - there is a small 2/3 person hot tub/jaccuzi in the wellness area (naked is the norm if you don't know though), and a little bar with a fire upstairs. You may struggle to book a room though, most people have been returning there for 10+ years... Also cheese isn't on the menu so much, although for potatos and meat you can get tiroler grostl, and plenty of other traditional alpine dishes, including 'hunter style' venison.

Plenty of places in Ischgl would be right up you're street too, and you can get a good cheese fondue there too.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 14-11-10 21:32; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blewyn, I thought you wanted to book B & B? then you've got a choice about where to eat and don't have to stick with the hotel if it's mediocre. I never understand why people who could afford to go and stroll round the restaurants, and who like their food, book half board in a hotel. I don't go to hotels on holiday if I can help it, but stayed in a lot whilst working, and the only times I ate in the hotel were usually when I was on my own somewhere where the surroundings weren't too inviting for a woman out on her own after dark. Even in pretty good hotels - especially big ones - food often seems pretty ordinary. More fun to try out different local places.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about Hotel Sherpa in Val Thorens, I've heard good reports.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Blewyn, Any of the 4-* Superior or 5* hotels in Austria would meet your requirements.
Not really. A lot of them are more "grand alpine" than cosy and lacking in the things I want (open fire, cosy bar, pool, sauna etc). I don't care about the family history of a place or what pictures it has on the wall of its dining room.
Quote:
Sorry I find this obsession with hot tubs bizarre to say the least and chavvy. They are so unhygienic it is unbelievable; makes my stomach turn to just think about it. What would you do if the hotel asked you to share a bath with all the other clients?

Like a pool, you mean ?
Quote:
At least with a full and properly maintained Wellness area you have all the filters and processes in place to ensure you are not exchanging faecal matter Shocked

This is why you shower after a hot-tub.....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Blewyn, you'll struggle to find a 4* superior of 5* without a pool/sauna...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blewyn, there are some seriously ritzy and sophisticated hotels in Megeve, and more good restaurants than you can shake a ski stick at. But possibly the skiing would be a bit tame, if you like lots of pisted steeps.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Blewyn, surely you should also shower before?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Blewyn, I thought you wanted to book B & B? then you've got a choice about where to eat and don't have to stick with the hotel if it's mediocre. I never understand why people who could afford to go and stroll round the restaurants, and who like their food, book half board in a hotel.

Couldn't agree more !! Unfortunately it appears that B&B hotels that have what I'm looking for (open fire, cosy bar, wellness etc) are very difficult to find...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Drooling at the thought....only thing I can get for the next 3 weeks is Kraft slices...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Blewyn, there are some very well appointed chalets to rent - I'm sure plenty of them have saunas etc. If I had loads of dosh I'd rent a really nice place, fix my own breakfast and snacks and eat lunch and dinner out in a range of different restaurants. But for just two people that would be an expensive solution, I guess.

Do all those fancy hotels only accommodate guests who pay in advance for their dinners? Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blewyn wrote:
all those hotels look a bit tired to me......kind of dated

"Tired" = traditional ambience ?
"...kind of dated" = old fashioned concept of quality & service ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blewyn, you are obviously suited to being ripped off in France or better still why not pay top dollar for a room only in a condo in some snooty place like Aspen - sounds right up your street!

Take my advice - stay away from Austria and Switzerland, the obvious class and lack of clichés will no doubt underwhelm you rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Blewyn, I've just glanced at the websites for a few of the Megeve hotels and they all seem to do "room only" if that's what you want. This one looks nice. http://www.coindufeu.com/
Way out of my league. wink
snow report
Lechbob wrote:
Blewyn wrote:
all those hotels look a bit tired to me......kind of dated

"Tired" = traditional ambience ?

I guess it depends what particular tradition you like. For me it's the cosy stubli, alpine roof chalet, hot gluhvein, warm fires, stone and wood. I also like hot pools, free wi-fi, flat screens and ski-in ski-out.

I find the Grand Alpine style a little....impersonal and cold.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
http://www.sporthotel-neustift.at/The-Hotel.8.0.html?&L=1 if you want class, and you've got the Stubai glacier up the road too. Or for a more friendly vibe (in a lovely family run hotel) http://www.glockenstuhl.at/en/westendorf/our-hotel/index.html - there is a small 2/3 person hot tub/jaccuzi in the wellness area (naked is the norm if you don't know though), and a little bar with a fire upstairs. You may struggle to book a room though, most people have been returning there for 10+ years... Also cheese isn't on the menu so much, although for potatos and meat you can get tiroler grostl, and plenty of other traditional alpine dishes, including 'hunter style' venison.

Plenty of places in Ischgl would be right up you're street too, and you can get a good cheese fondue there too.

Thanks for the recommend but the Neustift doesn't grab me. Looks a bit spartan and ...Nordic. Also I'm looking for somewhere with more blacks and reds than Stubai seems to have......will definitely take a closer look at Ischgl though..
snow report
Blewyn, you want more testing terrain then. So, for the budget, really needs to be posh Austrian rather than posh Swiss, French or Italian. So St Anton fits the bill probably, in which case I'm gonna say http://schwarzeradler.com/.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Blewyn, I've just glanced at the websites for a few of the Megeve hotels and they all seem to do "room only" if that's what you want. This one looks nice. http://www.coindufeu.com/
Way out of my league. wink

Now that's more like it ! Just checked the Megeve piste map and it's not bad - not many blacks but loads of reds....

I'll add this one to my list (unfortunately HB compulsory for my dates)..

Thanks !!
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
...... I do like a hot-rock though.

GnR or Iron Maiden?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Blewyn, you want more testing terrain then. So, for the budget, really needs to be posh Austrian rather than posh Swiss, French or Italian. So St Anton fits the bill probably, in which case I'm gonna say http://schwarzeradler.com/.

Thanks but too expensive for me ! Would be around £2500 for the two of us (early Jan) and I'd like to spend at least £500 less than that ideally.
latest report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Blewyn, you are obviously suited to being ripped off in France or better still why not pay top dollar for a room only in a condo in some snooty place like Aspen - sounds right up your street!

Is the skiing any good there ?
Quote:
Take my advice - stay away from Austria and Switzerland, the obvious class and lack of clichés will no doubt underwhelm you rolling eyes
Hardly. I've been to Zermatt 3 times. I just want a change of scene.
snow report
Blewyn wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

Thanks but too expensive for me ! Would be around £2500 for the two of us (early Jan) and I'd like to spend at least £500 less than that ideally.

Have you considered a Nintendo Wii?
snow conditions
Blewyn wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

Their double room "Gampen" (for example) is 1035 Euro each half board and it includes 6 day lift pass. See their packages. So, well under your budget.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Have you considered a Nintendo Wii?

What a ridiculous suggestion, you'll have a job to melt the cheese on that. wink
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Their double room "Gampen" (for example) is 1035 Euro each half board and it includes 6 day lift pass. See their packages. So, well under your budget.

Unfortunately we have to go from 2/3rd Jan to 9/10th - and Gampen rooms are 199/pers/day during that time, which amounts to £2422......more than I want to pay....

But thanks anyway !
ski holidays
http://www.pepis-skihotel.com/eng/index.htm Great location. Shower cubicles in your room double up as steam room. Your key is a mobile phone, which you can use free of charge to phone other 'key holders'. Some of the lads stayed there a few years ago. Should come in budget and St Anton should fit the bill for the skiing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy