Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfers from Geneva to Bourg St Maurice - coach or train

Poster: A snowHead
My best beloved is following the men in her life out to the Alps a few days after us in December. Do any snowheads have experience or advice about best transfers out of GVA to Bourg St Maurice; probably prefer train if it is a viable option. The alternative is for me to miss a day skiing to come up and collect her - balance kudos points for being chauffer against skiing, I am quite conflicted Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ian Kenvyn, www.ski4funtransfers.co.uk may be able to help pm redrunmarcus on snowheads Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Train ain't never going to happen - total nightmare connections. Can she fly to Lyons? - signifcantly better option by train: train shuttle into mainline station, then straight through.

OTOH, if she drives, Europcar do do one way car hires with the drop off in BSM...

Or... needn't be a whole day's skiing if you have to go & get - make sure her plane doesn't land until say 6pm, you don't have to leave until 4. stop en route back for meal a deux in nice restaurant (say Bout du Lac, Annecy, ) back home for 11. And you still get the brownie points.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JimW wrote:
OTOH, if she drives, Europcar do do one way car hires with the drop off in BSM...

Any idea of price for this?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JimW wrote:
Train ain't never going to happen - total nightmare connections.

Jim, I'd be interested in hearing your experiences. I'm planning on taking the train from Geneva to Moutiers for the EoSB this year. It sounds quite simple with just one change at Chambery (another snowhead did it ok last year). What problems did you have?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wags, I did Moutiers to Geneva last year - it was easy, really. The only difficulty was being on my own with a big suitcase plus ski bag (at one point, a schoolgirl helped me with my bag Shocked. Made me feel very old!). Two changes if you're going to the airport, btw, but the second one is very easy. The change at Chambery is a bit more of a faff, but there is a lift... I'd be happy enough to do it again if necessary.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
www.altibus.com have a single fare for 58 euros, a lot easier than the train (34 euros) and cheaper than a private transfer for 1 person, if redrunmarcus doesn't have any space.

Looking at the SNCF site the train journeys from Geneva seem to be disrupted this year. Last winter they were carrying out a lot of work on the line and stations between Geneva and Lyon so it may be that the work has continued into this winter.

The normal route from Geneva to Moutiers and Bourg Saint Maurice was to change at Chambery. The current timetable is showing a change at Bellegarde and then Chambery so I assume it is a bus from Bellegarde to Chambery.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 5-11-10 11:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JimW wrote:
Train ain't never going to happen - total nightmare connections. Can she fly to Lyons? - signifcantly better option by train: train shuttle into mainline station, then straight through.

Or... needn't be a whole day's skiing if you have to go & get - make sure her plane doesn't land until say 6pm, you don't have to leave until 4. stop en route back for meal a deux in nice restaurant (say Bout du Lac, Annecy, ) back home for 11. And you still get the brownie points.

What he said...

If the family member gets the first sleazyjet into Lyons arriving about 10 am then you can still be on the hill for an afternoon ski (assuming 3v, Paradiski or similar)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ian Kenvyn, what date are you looking at?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with skichampcouk.. take the public bus... cheapest for 1 person and easy. If you book it on line you get a discount.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
redrunmarcus wrote:
Ian Kenvyn, what date are you looking at?

Thanks Snowheads. Good solid advice.

Cool She is coming out on Dec 23rd, Jet2 out of Leeds Bradford - gets in about 11.00am I think.

Suggestion of lunch a'deux in Annecy seems to good idea.

Our boys will probably enjoy a day of not skiing with Dr. Slo - as they so kindly name me
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skichampcouk wrote:

Looking at the SNCF site the train journeys from Geneva seem to be disrupted this year.

If you call 8 weeks of strikes since January disrupted Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jo225, Thanks for your reassurance. I'd also been in touch with Jerry and he had no problems with the train connections either. You going to the EoSB this year?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've booked with www.gare-routiere.ch

99 Euros return.

Car hire was about £100E/day for a small car - add fuel and it goes up. There's only 2 of us so coach wins.

Just hope it's running on Jan 1st for the return - the timetable isn't overly clear, and an email to them got the reply ' we are very busy, can you phone please'

'Yes it is running on 1st jan' would have been faster Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All, prepared to eat some humble pie on the train journey: seems a little better than when last we looked, which included 3 hour lay-overs to make connections.

But it is still anywhere between 4 and 5 hours, (http://fahrplan.sbb.ch) which on top of road to airport, then air travel, sems a tad excessive to me when you can get a train the whole way from St Pancras in about 9.

What websites are you guys using to get better travel options? - it is certainly something I'd be interested in doing if times were proven to be better by looking somewhere else!

Rob: will get prices of the one way Eurocar from last year when our friends did it ( He: gva to arcs, then next day to Grenoble to pick up rest of family, then drop off car in BSM).
snow conditions
www.mountainsunltd.com/special_offers/view/low-cost-airport-transfers

We might be able to help dependin on your dates!
snow report
Wags wrote:
Jo225, You going to the EoSB this year?

Very much hope so! snowHead
latest report
Joanne Mountainsun wrote:
www.mountainsunltd.com/special_offers/view/low-cost-airport-transfers

We might be able to help dependin on your dates!

December 23rd into GVA at 11.45 - would that fit in with you?

Ian Toofy Grin

BTW - Happy Birthday
latest report
JimW, I know someone that does the train option to Bourg from Geneva and it takes him between 3 and half and 5 hrs depending on what time of day, so you are right, a long journey always with a change and sometimes two or even three. But it is the cheapist way to Geneva unless you share a car with three other mates. I check the timetable for this every season, but still no quicker options by train.

Ian, Very Happy Oneway car hire is ok if there are three people or more, but bus is cheaper with one or two. I think Altibus are one of the cheapest still unless you can do a direct deal with http://www.ski4funtransfers.co.uk/index.html?_ret_=return or others like them. Give them a call if you have not yet done so.

Only Eurocar do one way to Bourg as far as I know. If there are any others someone please let us know as I am always being asked this.
snow conditions
JimW,
Quote:

What websites are you guys using to get better travel options? - it is certainly something I'd be interested in doing if times were proven to be better by looking somewhere else!

I use www.sncf.com to find the train times and prices.

You can also find out about work on the lines at www.ter-sncf.com

I spent many happy? hours waiting for trains from Geneva to Culoz last year (from Culoz you can travel to either Chambery or Lyon) so I also have the paper timetables from last winter for the TER line no 51 from Geneva to Culoz to Chambery, the TER line no 3 from Geneva to Bellegarde to Lyon and the SNCF timetable (no 517) for trains between Paris, Chambery and Bourg St Maurice.
snow report
Only problem with trains is French always on strike but they are very good at putting on alternative buses. Altibus works well but can mean hanging around if doesn't coincide with flight times. Might be able to get a shared transfer for a decent price as its Christmas week so lots of people coming in to resorts.
latest report
rob@rar, one way hire price - Michael did some searching , turns out his gva hires were all two way: but Lyon was just over the £100, 2 years ago.
HTH
Jim
ski holidays
JimW, thanks.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy