Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

alpe d'huez - early april?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, used the search function but failed miserably. Sure this has been discussed but my question is "what are snow conditions generally like in early April In Alpe D'huez? Although its high it's also as far as I believe South Facing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went one year early April and wasn't overly impressed. Most of the runs are below 2000m and got rather heavy/slushy and the wind shut the higher runs for most of the week, so our skiing was limited.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ice in the morning and slush in the afternoon. Not necessarily windy - RZ had bad luck there.

At that time of year I'd take 2Alpes over Alpe d'Huez - holds the snow quality better.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i've had some wonderful powder days there in april so difficult to generalise

quite a lot of the resort is south facing but by no means all of it
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I stayed in Oz-en-Oisan this year at Easter - 3rd to the 10th April. Conditions were very good. Lower slopes were a bit slushy in the afternoon but other than that no probs. Skied back to Oz every day.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The reason I'm favouring Alpe D'huez over Les 2 Alpes is a better looking Hotel deal and what appears a wider range of runs. I suppose do these benefits out weigh the better snow I'm likely to get at L2A. The other option is of course to book last minute.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've only skied 1 day in LDA. I didn't like it hugely and have never been back. To be fair what I didn't like most was the town set up, rather than the skiing. One day probably wasn't enough to judge that on. It was freakin cold at LDA that's for sure, although whether that is a general trait I don't know. Certainly I like the variety of runs at ADH, and I don't believe you should hold off on the deal based on snow conditions.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the big difference between ADH and LDA is that ADH gets harder the higher up the mountain you go and LDA gets easier. whether you prefer one or the other on this basis depends on the individual
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Early April this year in Alpe d'Huez provided some of the best off piste, plenty of powder, blue skies, huge long runs. Some lower runs do sometimes get wet, but I've been to LDA in March and had to walk down the hill. It's all very difficult to predict, but by and large I'd pick up on Arno's point about ADH being harder the higher you get, and LDA quite flat, exposed and cold. In truth anywhere in the Alps in April you're likely to need to stay high, so depending on what you want from your skiing, easy or hard, you takes your pick.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Jake,

I've lived between the two resorts (ADH and L2A) for the past four years and the guys are right, conditions vary year to year and resort to resort, and it does depend on what sort of skier/boarder you are. Personally I find ADH great for gentle runs home and skiing 'across' the mountain as the domain links various villages and ski areas. You can take your pick and head to that area for lunch and back again in the afternoon. Deux Alpes is a very 'up/down' mountain. There are two separate hills (linked by chairlifts and pistes) but the routes tend to take you up and down from the same place. In general, there's more for beginners in ADH than L2A but L2A has better blacks and reds; the off piste is good in both resorts but ADH has the more epic itineraries (although you should take a guide whichever resort you choose). ADH tends to have a little more of an apres scene as it's south-facing so you do get lovely warm late-afternoons, whereas in L2A the sun disappears quickly and it can be chilly. Both have a couple of good clubs and lots of bars (check out Smithy's Tavern in either resort). I'd say that ADH has a slightly more family feel with more facilities (better pools & ice rink, gym, cinema that sometimes shows English films etc), whereas L2A is getting quite a reputation for banging electro in the afternoon at the Pano Bar (2600m) and late night parties. So... maybe you can tell us more of what you like, where you've been before and what you want from your holiday?? If it's just the snow you're interested in then yes, it tends to melt earlier in ADH as it's south facing and - although the resort is at 1850m - the majority of the runs are lower.

Hope that helps!
Vickie
Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
adh 30-3-03 season over?

adh 1-4-03 season back on !!!!!

what a difference a day or so makes! anything can happen with the weather
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy