Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips for a good coach journey

Poster: A snowHead
Going by coach to the Alps always seems to get a bit of negative press on here so I thought I'd start a thread outlining the positives for a change and offering some tips for a good journey.

I travel by coach at least once every year. One trip is always a school trip but I also organise my own trips at Easter. I know that as soon as i get on the coach I can relax and end up being dropped right outside my accomodation the following day. When travelling without the school kids we always start off with a few glasses of bubbly or Bucks Fizz. We all bring some different foodstuffs with us and have a bit of a party atmosphere for the first part of the journey up to Dover. We tend to leave Friday evening for a ferry crossing in the early hours of Saturday morning.

We always go on the ferry which gives us a chance to stretch our legs, go to the bar etc.

When we get back on the coach we are usually ready for a few hours sleep. ALWAYS TAKE A FULL SIZE PILLOW WITH YOU. If I'm sharing a pair of seats with someone we swap over so each person gets a few hours to sleep against the window.

We usually stop somewhere for Breakfast around 9.30. Then get back on the coach and watch a film (we always bring some brand new films). Few hours down the road we'll stop for lunch. Another film. Then get dropped off right outside my accomodation with all my bags (with no extra charge for my skis and boot bag!)

Repeat the process on the way back. Usually with an extra days skiing before we leave!

The coach usually costs us around £5,500. We never fill it to capacity so we can take extra luggage if we want. Last time there were 43 of us on the coach. It cost us £127 return each to be picked up across the road from my house and dropped off across the road from accomodation. In the past we have left Friday morning and had 8 days skiing but we usually have 7.

With the cost of skiing rising I dont understand why more people dont travel by coach or arrange their own coach trip. I've always found them fairly easy to fill with a bit of advertising on Facebook etc. (although it is probably easier because I work in a school and we all have holidays the same time)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't, whatever you do, have a life threatening hangover on the day of your coach journey. That was the most miserable experience of my life.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tip # 1 - Fly
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

life threatening hangover

I love that phrase Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I struggle with a 3 hour transfer never mind trying to sleep on a coach. Might be fine if you're under 6ft, or get the whole back row to yourself.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
Don't, whatever you do, have a life threatening hangover on the day of your coach journey. That was the most miserable experience of my life.

Hair of the dog, drink through it wink If you're lucky you may even pass out for the whole journey.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take bottled water (but don't drink so much that you have to pee all the time), have clothes easy to add and subtract layers (heating can be a bit up and down), take Syndol to help you sleep, don't wear tight shoes (your feet will swell), take Stugeron if you get travel sick (also helps you sleep, but dries your mouth, hence the water).

Have some easy snacks.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
el nombre, + 1
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never mind the coach bit, it's the getting 43 people to agree on a week / resort / accomodation that's the real challenge
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:

Don't think it gets any better without the hangover, at least it's a distraction Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I do a lot of my skiing trips by coach... it's good, because there's virtually no restriction on baggage! Admittedly, the journeys can be a bit painful, especially at 6'4". My advice would be to take some kind of video player so that if you can't sleep, you can keep yourself entertained!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hire an RV with a few friends and you have your transport and accommodation sorted. If you're going to travel on wheels you may as well do it properly.

Interski, Italy, bus, school children, hangover, never again Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I did manage to come up with some suitably twisted disposal methods for the little brats in the 40hrs though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Do a run, cycle ride or swim 50 lengths on morning of outward journey - will help you to sleep better. Ski on morning of return.

Don't forget your Ipod.

Although having tried plane, coach and train for skiing holidays I would say take the train.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you get it right it's the combination of cheap price, convenience and 2 days extra ski time which can make coach travel a winner. Getting on a coach (as we did several times) at Dover, then next seeing your bags sitting in the snow 30 metres from your chalet, has a lot to commend it and doing ski holidays on tight budgets with kids everybody voted to spend money on 2 days more ski passes than on flights and transfers. With money no object we'd have done it another way.

I only did a train once - overnight sleeper to Aime la Plagne then cheap local bus up the mountain. That was terrific as we were two adults, travelling light, with backpacks. Wouldn't have enjoyed it with kids or with more baggage (as it had to share your bunk, pretty well and we'd had to cross Paris between stations). And as for sitting up in a train all night for 3 times the price of a cheap flight. WTF is that all about?

I like the idea of using trains but that option would be so much more user friendly if it was not so expensive, if you could book in advance, and if it was easier to find out about schedules. Am currently battling with getting offspring from Genoa to Albertville or Geneva on 23 or 24 December. Even a personal visit to the railway office in Geneva last week didn't solve that one because the schedules change in early December. Our place in France is near Albertville - but try to get a TGV from UK to Albertville. It's just all such a faff.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Vallium!
latest report
sarep wrote:
Vallium!

lots of it, maybe something a little stronger!!
snow report
Dr John wrote:
Tip # 1 - Fly

This is the best tip.
snow report
lightningdan wrote:
Dr John wrote:
Tip # 1 - Fly

This is the best tip.

THE very best tip is do what I did, and move to somewhere an hour's drive from the slopes NehNeh

I've been on a coach journey a couple of times during my University days in Nottingham. It was 24 hours each way, but I found it OK due to the excitement mounting on the way there, and the exhaustion after a week's skiing and partying on the way back.

Now I'm a bit older, wiser and the party days are largely in the past, I'm not sure I'd find it so agreeable, and have always flown or self-driven (from my former home in Kent) instead.
snow conditions
Whitters, agree that the return journey has to be taken into consideration. It's not fun coming home at the best of times but, as someone else has mentioned, knowing you have an excruciating return journey ahead of you can put a real downer on the last couple of days.
latest report
Quote:

I like the idea of using trains but that option would be so much more user friendly if it was not so expensive, if you could book in advance, and if it was easier to find out about schedules. Am currently battling with getting offspring from Genoa to Albertville or Geneva on 23 or 24 December. Even a personal visit to the railway office in Geneva last week didn't solve that one because the schedules change in early December. Our place in France is near Albertville - but try to get a TGV from UK to Albertville. It's just all such a faff.

I love the idea of the snowtrains too, but there's no way in hell that I'd pay more for it than a flight.

Worse coach journey I've ever had was coming back from a summer job in the Aosta Valley, where I was basically doing kayak instruction for school groups. My manager managed to blag me and my kayak onto one of the school's coach on their return leg. They had been a bloody nightmare all week already,noisy rude inner-city chavtastic little Be Nice please!, and then to top it all the teachers made the damn ADHD/retard kid sit next to me for the whole bloody journey so I could 'keep an eye on him' for them. Drivers were ladies' front bottoms too because they'd been caught trying to flog weed to some of the other instructors and knew they were going to get fired once they got back. Not pleasant, and 'cos of the kids I couldn't even drink to relieve the monotony of constant crap childrens films on the tv all the time.

Saying that I'm not sure lugging my boat through the Italian public transport system to Milan airport would have been much more fun Laughing
snow report
Quote:

The coach usually costs us around £5,500.

Does that include driver accom in resort?
latest report
I really feel for my Brother in Law he takes a coach twice a year to Bormio for the school ski trip, I have been offered free trips in the past but the thought of coach all the way to Bormio does not appeal Shocked
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

I love the idea of the snowtrains too, but there's no way in hell that I'd pay more for it than a flight.

Worse coach journey I've ever had was coming back from a summer job in the Aosta Valley, where I was basically doing kayak instruction for school groups. My manager managed to blag me and my kayak onto one of the school's coach on their return leg. They had been a bloody nightmare all week already,noisy rude inner-city chavtastic little , and then to top it all the teachers made the damn ADHD/retard kid sit next to me for the whole bloody journey so I could 'keep an eye on him' for them. Drivers were ladies' front bottoms too because they'd been caught trying to flog weed to some of the other instructors and knew they were going to get fired once they got back. Not pleasant, and 'cos of the kids I couldn't even drink to relieve the monotony of constant crap childrens films on the tv all the time.

Saying that I'm not sure lugging my boat through the Italian public transport system to Milan airport would have been much more fun Laughing

I like this message, it contains many subjects I find amusing. Crap coach travel,chavs,retards and cnuts!! well done clarky999 made me smile.
latest report
clarky999, how was the weed?
ski holidays
Tip no. 1 Mama Mia
2. St. Trinians
3. Angus Thongs and Perfect Snogging
4. High School Musical

Repeat tips 1 - 4 on loop.

Aaaarrrggghhh!!!
ski holidays
clarky999, who was the summer job with? my lad did the Summer in Aosta this year
ski holidays
Lizzard,

Yes. Last coach trip the coach was £4,500. £300 for ferry and an apartment for the drivers for £400 and we gave them some money for food etc (which they probably spent on beer)
latest report
garethjomo, yes FLY!!! Toofy Grin , sorry I use to coach it when I was a student all the time. Never again! Twisted Evil unless the ash cloud comes back of course. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Coaching it again this year, New Years Day of all times, have learned my lesson from last year and will take it easy the night before Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Tip # 2 - Take a plane
latest report
I take a small coach - just seats the 5 of us
ski holidays
Rohypnol. You might be a bit groggy for the first day of skiing, but the mountain air will wear it off nicely. Plus, if you do get lucky on the coach, you've got diminished responsibility in case of any "complications" in court. I don't get why people waste the stuff on others, it has plenty of self-medicating applications - especially if there's kids on the coach Smile
snow conditions
Quote:
Tips for a good coach journey

Don't.
snow report
livetoski wrote:
clarky999, who was the summer job with? my lad did the Summer in Aosta this year

Acorn Adventure. Really fun summer, and some ace kayaking on the Dora Baltea (which flowed right past the centre), unfortunately I had to leave after two months as the pay was abysmal (75 euros cash a week + £15 into the bank, for six 10/12 hour days) and I needed to get some money saved up for ski trips the following winter.
ski holidays
This thread does not fill me with confidence...taking a coach to Val T with the uni at Easter... I pray to God that I don't have a hangover on the way back! Shocked
latest report
Boris, Yup, works for me too.
ski holidays
Tip # 3 - Engage some form of airborne transport
latest report
Most of the responses on here are typical of the type of people that dominate this forum. My way or the highway opinions. Which is why I rarely post. I don't mind genuine wit but some posters just don't have it. I have flown several times. I have driven and I've taken a coach to the alps. All for different circumstances. This wasn't intended to be any kind of debate between flying and coaches merely offering some advice for people going on coaches.
ski holidays
Bit late to the party but how about a sick bag, lots of sick bags Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
garethjomo wrote:
Most of the responses on here are typical of the type of people that dominate this forum. My way or the highway opinions. Which is why I rarely post. I don't mind genuine wit but some posters just don't have it. I have flown several times. I have driven and I've taken a coach to the alps. All for different circumstances. This wasn't intended to be any kind of debate between flying and coaches merely offering some advice for people going on coaches.

Nobody forces you to post dude. It's half the fun of snowHead You know you'll get a ton of boring answers and then some fun ones too.

I actually really like coach travel. When I'm in the UK that's how I tend to get around.

For longer trips you need some patience, all those people upsetting you above ^ don't have any, get over it!

Sadly I tend not to like the people on coaches. Having said that Greyhound Buses in Canada can be hilarious...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy