Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Stepping back" to a single ski quiver - recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Diogo, try mounting some schizo bindings or re drill your skis and get some inserts so you can remount your bindings when you want to piste and park and back again for the powder.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have contemplated the Schizo option but remounting in the same holes (as I am quite reluctant in getting these all drilled out when they are brand new) would be okay for the forward shift but the -3 option would be a bit pointless as I'd be literally on the tail. The inserts sound like not so bad of an idea, how do these inserts affect the ski in terms of strength and will they let leaks into the skis?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if you search for the thread "binding inserts" you will find all your answers there. I had the same kind of issue and have remedied it with inserts.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Right, both my other ski's are now sold and I had a chance to pop over to MK Xscape today to trial a couple, unfortunately they didn't have a couple of the ones I wanted to try in stock for testing (like the line blend) but I might be heading back next weekend when their back in stock. Only had a few runs on each but these are my thoughts on what I tested:

Salomon Shogun 182 - This was the stiffest out of the ski's I tested and it felt smooth and fast, but didn't overly excite me if I'm honest as it didn't seem particularly lively/playfull or fast edge to edge. The snowdome probably wasn't the best place to test this ski as it felt like it was begging for bigger open slopes so I could really open it up, from the feel of it I can imagine this ski would be good at speed and it did take an edge really nicely. I could see this being good for ripping around the resort and decent off piste but probably not really one for the park or messing around. It busted through the cruddy indoor snow really well.

K2 Kung Fujas 179 - This was quite a contrast to the shogun, seemed alot heavier on the feet as soon as I put them on and a little more sticky on the crappy indoor snow that the shogun pushed through OK (maybe the wax job?). However it was alot more playfull and faster edge to edge, better in tighter turns than the Salomon. Its really buttery soft by comparison and when I rocked back and forth it went into tail and nose presses without me even really trying, it was also noticeably better switch. Seemed to take an edge reasonably well without the rocker overly effecting it, but I didn't feel it had quite the grip of the salomon. I can't really see this being as good when pushed hard at speed (on or off piste) as the shogun, but it is easy turning and fun and would be good in the park/jibbing and fun in the trees etc. The bigger size would probably feel better for charging and offpiste, but getting a bit big to handle in the park, for me the gap between the 179 and 189 seems far too much and I would want something in the middle, the 189 seems huge in store, somehow longer than other ski's of similar size?! These are very easy to ski and thats probably why its got such good review from a range of testers, for me though I don't feel it would push me hard enough.

Atomic Access 181 This ski I felt was a bit lighter underfoot and not quite as soft as the fujas but not that much stiffer. Despite not being super pronounced I could really feel the rocker alot more on this one and it felt alot more like a proper rockered pow ski than the others, which isn't really ideal in what I'm looking for as it tended to wash out a bit in turns and not take a great edge, a similar feeling to what I've had ridding hellbents but obviously not as pronounced. I think I would have been happier on the larger 191 length in order to have more effective edge. It was fairly easy to initiate turns and swing weight felt good, not bad switch, but I was just a bit disapointed with the grip, in honesty I was expecting a little more from this ski. I could however see it going well in powder, especially in the larger size.

So thats what I've tested so far, all had their good and bad points, none of them quite did it for me as an overall package, I think I'm looking for something that its between the Shogun and Fujas and I'm hopping the Line Blend will fill this gap as it flexes like it might in the store, looking forward to testing it. Hopefully have a chance to try a few other options too.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 13-12-10 10:43; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Volkl Bridge get my vote, I think they will give you the stiffness you require for hard charging but also be poppy enough for hitting kickers.
I have personally got some Candide Pows on the way - mounting with Rossi FKS 180s and will write a review when I have had a week on snow with them just after new year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah the bridges would be a good option I think, but no one seems to stock them!

From what I've read Volkl massively underestimated the popularity of some of their ski's and sold out really early, the only ones I've been able to find on the net are for sale at Evo in America!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here you go bud... http://www.skibartlett.com/volkl-bridge-1011-8226-p.asp
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy