Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jackets - what's best?

Poster: A snowHead
Gosh I hope not. I'm afraid I haven't been for a few months - around mid-March it was still going strong.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just checked the Bicester website and nothing there to suggest its gone. If it is closing maybe there will be even bigger bargains??
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rachel, I went up there a few weeks ago and it was closed but I understood it was for a shop re-fit?
I need to get a lighter jacket for next years EOSB rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It looks as if I'll just have to force myself to go this weekend to see for myself Madeye-Smiley

Linds, any exciting new shops opened recently?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RachelQ wrote:
It looks as if I'll just have to force myself to go this weekend to see for myself Madeye-Smiley

That would be helpful - I'm passing Bicester next week and was going to pop into the HH shop to see if they have any base layers on sale.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helly Hanson has a shop in the Outlet Centre (tent city!) in Ashford, Kent. There is also a TOG-24 shop and a more general outdoor clothing and gear shop. Had a brief look at all three shops last weekend. All have lots of summer gear at present plus some winter stuff. Like many clothing shops their ranges reflect the seasons.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just got back from Bicester Village for a quick bit of retail therapy (in the name of research re Helly Hansen, you understand). It's definitely open, a huge sale going on with skiwear, and rob@rar.org.uk, lots of base layers in the new merino wool range.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RachelQ, Have any of the other stores got any good bargains? Tog and Musto had some good deals the last time I was up there.
No I dont need to go to Bicester
No I dont need to go to Bicester
Well, maybe I could pop up and just see whats on offer this week rolling eyes
Rachel Q, You are a bad influence Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moosepig, A Shell Jacket is very adaptable as mentioned already - base, mid and top layers will allow adjustment for any temperature or conditions. I have ued mine in the range -1 to -40 degrees (Wind chill)

I use an Arc'Teryx Sidewinder Shell jacket. I think they are probably one of the best and because I was a very, very good boy last year, I also bought an Arc'Teryx Theta Ski Pants (same principle as the jacket.) Have a look at them at www.arcteryx.com. I bought direct and very economically from www.moosejaw.com in the US. It is a really crazy company, or maybe its just all its workers are crazy. Absolutely top class service. I bought mail order and had to pay the VAT on delivery. If you are planning a US trip, it would be very worthwhile purchasing when you are there and save a mint.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Linds, I stopped myself from going into Tog24 and Musto - I spent too much in Karen Millen! Tog24 had some great ski gear earlier in the year, kids stuff especially. But I don't need anything new. Or so MrQ tells me. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RachelQ, don't listen to MrQ. After all, what does a bloke know about girls needing new stuff wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I hate to be a total dickhead; but frankly this post deserves it due to its continuing length / interest.

Why is it that Brits are obsessed with what they wear on the slopes?

Noone can deny the need to stay warm and comfortable , I wouldn't. But this post has attracted more responses than any on boot choice, boot fitting , ski suitability and ski review yet it is still live 'Hors saison'.

Perhaps the French are right , most Brits are more concerned with what they look like and not in skiing per se .. is skiing just another Fashion experience?

( Ducking on a wet day in France)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eEvans, Laughing In defence of my original post, I only asked about practical aspects of jackets, and specifically about what showy designer wear to avoid. There must be a million zillion different jackets on the market these days and I simply do not have time to assess each one on its own merits, hence I sought the experience of people who have more experience than me, the snowHeads massive.

Also I am a recreational skier. I don't take it too seriously, I ski for fun; and I certainly don't give a hoot what I look like on the slopes. [You'd know that if you'd ever seen me ski! wink ] I have my own boots and skis, and they're not the best in the world but they do for me. The single thing that makes the most difference to my skiing experience is the jacket. Not how it looks, but how it performs in terms of its thermal properties, moisture removal (in particular) and other practical features such as pockets. It's important to be comfortable, and to have room to store all the gadgets I carry around. I use my skis/boots for a maximum of 3 weeks every year, the jacket gets used day in, day out, throughout the winter.

I see what you're saying about the Helly Hansen discussion that has been going on, BUT this thread was primarily about jacket practicalities and performance, and has probably attracted the interest it has because for most Brits it's the only bit of ski wear that they use when not skiing, which is most of the time.

U Brain, did you get my latest PM?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moosepig wrote:
eEvans, Laughing In defence of my original post, I only asked about practical aspects of jackets, and specifically about what showy designer wear to avoid. .

I see what you're saying about the Helly Hansen discussion that has been going on, BUT this thread was primarily about jacket practicalities and performance,

U Brain, did you get my latest PM?

Absolutely NO problem with your original post ot motives ! Just a cynical Cool perspective on what followed and the relative volume ! wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eEvans, i think there is a very simple explanation to the popularity of this thread. Everybody has to wear some sort of protective clothing/ski jacket when they are skiing, so naturally people have opinions on what works for them. Many people cannot claim the same level of expertise on other topics such as boot choice, boot fitting etc that you mention. The same can be said of many other topics for threads such as technique, resort choice, off piste safety, where there are certainly snowheads out there who have some expertise to a greater or lesser extent. I'm sure I speak for many Snowheads snowHead when I say that I value much of the information that I read on this site, as somebody who has a unnaturally heathly obsession with Snowsports!

We all need some way to get us through the grassy times, don't we? wink
ski holidays
eEvans wrote:

Perhaps the French are right , most Brits are more concerned with what they look like and not in skiing per se .. is skiing just another Fashion experience?

( Ducking on a wet day in France)

Actually I thought it was the other way round, surely anyone who wears a one-peice, sunglasses, and a dainty headband in a blizzard isn't really too into skiing performance!! Razz
I think as many people here are recommending performance shells that really aren't that interesting to look at (the only mildly interesting visual feature of my black Arcteryx jacket is the slightly scewy at the top zip - it is however an awesome jacket!), then actually this discussion isn't about looks at all, but rather performance. OK a £400 Arcteryx jacket isn't guaranteed to make you ski well, but being cold/clammy/wet doesn't help.
snow report
moosepig, M80euf, stuarth, In fairness to moosepig, I think I should start a new thread on 'these' topics as he deserves answers to his question without my hijacking the thread .. suffice to say .. interesting ( and not attempting to troll the topic).
snow conditions
M80euf wrote:

latest report
eEvans, I think this topic took off because it's not one we've covered recently (if at all ?), it's sales time in a lot of the retailers so a good time to buy if your old jacket is past it's best, and as others have said it's easy to give a valuation of how your own kit performs for a jacket. Not nearly so simple for boots, bindings and the other kit unless you're a very experienced skier.
snow report
moosepig wrote:
M80euf wrote:

No shortage of things to do on grass this summer....

I'll be interested to see what the Iranian women race in (see article), if we manage to get to the Czech Republic camp this year...
snow conditions
PG, that piccy gives you the answer. The helmet is perfectly acceptable from an Islamic viewpoint in that it covers the head from the hairline - actually even more successfully than a headscarf. The rest of the gear is also OK as it is not close fitting. Aprez Ski it will be more interesting - in the privacy of their own homes when the chador or overcoat and headscarf come off, many of the Iranian ladies are extremely beautiful. Out of Iran, their dress code will be determined solely by whether any of the religious authorities accompany the team. You might be agreeably surprised. Cool In my villa's walled garden in Tehran, we often had swimming pool parties - and bikinis were just a skimpy as anywhere else snowHead
ski holidays
kuwait_ian wrote:
eEvans, Not nearly so simple for boots, bindings and the other kit unless you're a very experienced skier.

kuwaitit_ian I think I disagree in that everyone has valid opinions relative to their experience and skill level on all subjects including boots and skis etc ... if I could only get off my fat posterior I would post a sensible retort Very Happy Toofy Grin wink wink
ski holidays
stuarth, I agree with you on the Arcteryx jacket - it may be fairly bland looking - choice of colours 2, max I think? But it sure saves ones ass from freezing! (Oh no! sorry it's the Arcteryx Theta pants that saves ones ass from freezing - the jacket saves all other bits)
snow report
Big problem I have with a jacket and zipped-in fleece is the weight. I've got 2, a Tenson MPC, and a Berghaus Gortex jacket which takes a North Cape fleece. Both systems weigh a ton - and the fleeces seem to be the culprits. Mind you, both fleeces are many years old - perhaps modern flecces are lighter?
snow conditions
Nick Zotov wrote:
Mind you, both fleeces are many years old - perhaps modern flecces are lighter?
Quite possibly Nick - the Mountain Equipment fleece gregh and I referred to above is fairly thin and lightweight (much more so that any of my other - mostly non-technical - fleeces, and most of my regular jumpers too), but the windstopperyness of it keeps you nice and snug. It did me through pretty much all the Haute Route, only using the outer shell for a maximum of 2 hours throughout the week, and 1 of those was clearly an error.
latest report
Thanks everyone for their advice in this thread, but especially to homphomp for the snowShops heads-up snowHead

I'm now the proud owner of a Keela Munro jacket in covert and black Madeye-Smiley As far as I can tell so far (without having actually been skiing in it yet) it meets every requirement I had. It's very well made, has all the pockets I could want, those underarm pit-zips I wanted, a powder skirt and foldaway adjustable hood. And loads of velcro! You can't have too much velcro Twisted Evil I'll report back on its skiing performance in July when I get back from NZ.

Big thank-you to admin - unparalleled customer service snowHead
latest report
moosepig, Hope it lives up to your expectations....I'm sure it will. I'll second the comment about Admin's customer service...it's second to none!
snow conditions
aw guys... U will make me blush Blush
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy