Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Direct Travel Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Bode Swiller, I do not agree with some of what you are saying based on first hand experience. I will talk specifically about France as that is where I once made a claim myself. Never had any problem being taken to a clinic first then onto the hospital. All bills were payed through CN and so was transport home. They even arranged for my car to be taken home. From a medical point a view I think CN does the job together with your health card. In France they treat you just the same as a French national. Seemed that way to me anyway.

For claiming for flights and the like, I have the travel insurance with my credit card which is almost free and covers everything I need, flights booked, bags etc. Plus my home insurance covers skis and the more expensive items I do not want to loose. So for a season in the Alps I pay a total of 55 Euros and I think £2 per month fixed charge on the credit card. So sorry, do not agree with you. For me that works very well and is very cheap. If you are very lucky like me my work also give me private health cover so I do in fact have double cover (but it does not cover helicopter rescue). By the way, people need to check that there Winter Insurance covers helicopter rescue, not all do. Read the small print. CN does with no limit in France.

OK, if you have a family then you need to have your kids and all that gear covered as well, but I think if I needed that I could have a family policy on my credit card. The kids would have carte neige anyway. If a person is willing to put the effort into looking around, there are similar systems in Austria and Switzerland. Not sure about Italy. If you use the one in the country you go to, then the outside France limit for CN would not matter with the card for the country you are going to. Remember anyone reading this, I am only talking about Europe.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof, Just read your comment. Sorry to disagree with you, the operation and other needs of the friend last winter and even more so of a person they new a few years back shows that you do not have to pay anything.

My friend was in hospital and the op cost well over 10,000 I would guess. I know the one I had a few years ago cost 15,000. Anyway, as they stated in the report I posted, it cost them only a few hundred pounds in total, the French state are much better at sorting this out than we give them credit for.

If anyone is interested in reading this report, then please visit my Les Arcs facebook info page. It shows you just how the CN works in practice in France. Sorry it is prefered not to have the report posted here and I respect that.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 3-11-10 20:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We use direct travel- several clams- missed departure due to sickness, some claims in resort- all paid very swiftly and helpful staff.

Its actually nice to be able to make a really positive comment about a company and their staff!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowcrazy wrote:
In France they treat you just the same as a French national.

Yes that's my worry. I am a French national and have a complementary health insurance to cover what the French state don't. Even then my Mutuel which covers 150% of my medical bills (if anyone is interested I will explain why a 150% insurance cover doesn't cover everything) doesn't pay everything and even then I have to be careful that I'm being treated by the state system and not privately.

I accept what you say but I also accpet what CN say which is they will cover up to 3,000 euros of health bills.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, I did not get asked to pay anything to make up any difference, nor according to there report did they or there friend who spent I think a month in hospital, so based on my experience and what they had to pay I am happy to stay with CN and tell others how it works. At the end of the day people must decide for themselves.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes I accept what you are saying and for some time I did the same as you. I don't have any specific piste insurance now because I'm not overly concerned about having an accident or the rescue costs but recognize that may leave me out of pocket.

I'm just noting that CN claim to have a 3,000 euro limit on what they will pay out.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another thing about CN, when I last spoke to them about insurance they only covered you for sports injuries, have a car accident on the way to the slopes, fall over coming out of a bar and they won't cover you. Maybe something to add to the list of items to check on for your facebook page.

This makes perfect sense if you are in the French system where you will have a mutuel to cover non sports related costs.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
fall over coming out of a bar and they won't cover you.

Do they cover competitive drinking? Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowcrazy, if it works for your circumstances and you're happy then fine but I would definitely not be recommending it to others. You're basing your recommendation on a couple of instances in one area of one country as you've pointed out therefore I can't work out why you're promoting it. In the course of a year most people travel more widely so need an annual multi-trip anyway. So where's the saving?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, I agree. This would not have worked with our claim in Austria where we were taken to the resort's private medical clinic. Our annual insurance with Direct Travel is only about £35 each and well worth every penny IMO
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tiffin wrote:
davidof wrote:
fall over coming out of a bar and they won't cover you.

Do they cover competitive drinking? Wink

I would jolly well hope so.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller, I agree with your comment that is suits me, but the cases I have quoted are just a sample of those I know about so I think for people coming to France it is a very good and cheap option if it suits there situation. As it can cover one trip or a whole season, the multi trip cover is not a problem. If they are going to other countries then that is up to them to see if it gives enough cover outside France to keep them happy. So I shall continue to tell people about it, but after that it is there choice. For me it is better than the more expensive wordy British policies I have looked at with so many ways for the Insurer to try and get out of paying if they wished.

davidof, yes it does not cover other stuff outside of sports you are right, but that is up to people to read all the details for themselves and see if it suits them. As Cathy said, it would not be that good in Austria for a Brit, but for a French person in Austria it might be ok.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
snowcrazy, if it works for your circumstances and you're happy then fine but I would definitely not be recommending it to others.

Surely if it works for him, it could work for others and therefore that is a perfect reason to recommend it others with the same circumstances. I don't believe he was asking anyone else to recommend it. Although I don't see why you wouldn't present it as an option.

Quote:
You're basing your recommendation on a couple of instances in one area of one country as you've pointed out therefore I can't work out why you're promoting it.

I find this a bit ironic. People are always asking for real world examples. The details snowcrazy gave were well researched and very detailed.

Quote:
In the course of a year most people travel more widely so need an annual multi-trip anyway. So where's the saving?

Big assumption. Even before I had kids and exotic holidays were put on hold there were years when I apart from skiing, I only travelled in the UK or mainstream Europe. Since I've had kids that's all I've done. With the increasing cost of air travel and period of austerity less people are travelling further afield.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have only limited experience of French charges, but I was told by the finance office in Grenoble hospital that there would be nothing at all to pay hubby's emergancy surgery. only a hospital tax of 16 (?) euros per day, and a one off fee of 20€. It was an emergency operation of course, so perhaps this is why it was free. I dread to think what the cost would have been in the USA for example.
Bills for emergency treatment in Briancon (169€) and the hospital tax mentioned above were sent to us afterwards at home, but then dealt with by the insurers who I think reclaimed the costs from DWP offices, as we needed to complete a form giving them permission to do so.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Big assumption.
Not really Layne, popular cheap summer destinations include Turkey and Red Sea resorts. Florida is still very popular. You wouldn't go to any of those without proper travel insurance. People don't give up on their holidays that lightly. Go stand in Gatwick Airport on any day and see.

snowcrazy, If you think UK insurers are only trying to "get out" of their obligations then you have no understanding of the regulation that's there to protect consumers. What happened? snowHead
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Bode Swiller, surely you would recommend it to others in similar circumstances (of which there might well be quite a few around here)?

You seem awful clued up on this and keen to promote the industry. Any personal interest to declare, perchance?
latest report
brian, wink
snow conditions
Hurtle, Nasty squint you have there Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Laughing
snow report
brian wrote:
Bode Swiller, surely you would recommend it to others in similar circumstances (of which there might well be quite a few around here)?

You seem awful clued up on this and keen to promote the industry. Any personal interest to declare, perchance?

Nope, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I was just wondering why the CN/EHIC thing was being pushed so hard as well. Seems to have holes IMO.

Toofy Grin
snow report
Yes, I think there are holes too (and I have CN and EHIC as well as insurance). Holes such as private ambulance to airport and extra seats on a flight for both you and your partner to fly back to UK for ACL reconstruction or similar. You can't sit in a car or a single aircraft seat with a full leg brace. Or flying you home and reimbursing costs because the roof blew off your house (happened to us) or your father has a severe heart attack, or offspring is in a car crash at university. Or getting everybody back because the main driver is injured and can't drive, or is in hospital in France (paid for by EHIC maybe) and the rest of you have to get home for school, or work, etc etc. CN a EHIC both irrelevant to those last examples.

Insuring yourself against all those things (ie carrying the risk) is reasonable, though, if you have the dosh, as none cost a fortune and insurance companies only exist to make money. I'd want reassurance of 100% cover for big medical bills though, and a medical emergency off the slopes (e.g. a stroke or heart attack) or an accident (slip on pavement, break collar bone or have head injury) is probably just as likely as an injury on-piste. I'd also want B I G third party cover; what if I crash into a 35 year old breadwinner on piste and leave him severely injured?

A European breakdown cover is pretty important for DIY drivers too and costs little more on top of a UK one. Again, you could reasonably choose to carry the risk yourself - but you should be aware that it exists.

A young friend broke a bone in her back snowboarding in St Anton and was in a full body cast for weeks and weeks. Her father lived in Zurich, which was fortunate, but she had masses of hydrotherapy and regular trips back to the original (private) hospital where she'd spent a couple of weeks, to monitor what was a pretty severe injury (helicoptered off the piste). I doubt whether either CN or EHIC would have covered much of that. she was on the piste, and is quite a careful, girly, gentle sort of snowboarder. She wasn't hucking cliffs but the snow cover was dismal and there were big icy lumps on the piste - she landed on one of them and heard the crack in her spine. Skullie
ski holidays
pam w, if hubby had been French, he had the option of four weeks further stay in a rehabilitation/recuperation place. I assume he would have had 80% of that paid for, but not certain about that one. The private ambulance to the airport was paid for by the insurance, as was the business class flight hone for him and our son. Perhaps someone can comment on repatriation arrangements with CN? Would someone have been able to accompany hubby home, as he wasn't able to go by himself?
snow conditions
Lots of interesting comments coming out here

Hells Bells wrote:
Perhaps someone can comment on repatriation arrangements with CN? Would someone have been able .to accompany hubby home, as he wasn't able to go by himself?

Also would they pay for a medical repatriation e.g when a medical team/private transfer is required?
We have had several patients this year whose families have had to raise some major amounts of cash to get loved ones home when they either havent had or have had very limited insurance.

I have compared the basic Dogtag quote with snowHead discount but without any added medical problems or family illnesses on and they are £25 over the everything included Direct Travel quote.
My on-going medical pain problem was caused by a fall outside a bar rolling eyes and was fully covered by Axa with my bank.
ski holidays
Linds, until the day before discharge, J may have needed a medical team as his BP hadn't stabilised.
snow report
pam w, Intersting comments, in fact the medical repatriation is covered and I was given three seats as I could not use only one. Another person I know had medivac home, cost them nothing extra either.

As I said before, carte neige/carrie neige are for medical and rescue insurance best used I agree in France where there are no limits. they also have extra things like ski cover, lift pass cover, getting your car home, getting your kids home plus a few other things but you need to read it all for yourself.

I think it is a very good system. I use it, my friends use it and my family use it. I will recommend it to anyone as an alternative or an addition to any other insurance, but I have no other motivation. No I am not on commision Twisted Evil Just think for me it does the job.

Bode Swiller, I do wonder, are you in the insurance industry yourself. wink You do seem to be trying to put people off this very hard, maybe you DO have other motives.

I have had enough of talking about this one now. I am going to continue in the Off piste Insurance thread, that is where my main interest is. Toofy Grin and this thread was about Direct travel, not Carte neige. Bye Very Happy
ski holidays
snowcrazy, Thanks for your input Smile
snow report
snowcrazy, thanks for the info regarding the repatriation. I insured my kids (adults) with CN last winter via the Holiski card. Both were not eligible for the student cover on the Direct Travel policy, and I did consider that they would be covered for a return to the UK.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
pam w, if hubby had been French

It is not a question of being French but being in the French medical system.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, that's what I meant.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
davidof, that's what I meant.

I know but you make it sound like the French are a bunch of racists who would break up squatter camps and deport the people to certain death in eastern europe. Shocked

ps did you see Marcus has a new French assistant ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00by3qv

probably Kruisler's missus; actually she is a bit like my wife!
snow conditions
Interesting case coming up in the Swiss Courts affecting off piste...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1629725#1629725
snow report
davidof, no offence intended wink
latest report
davidof, actually I think if he hadn't have chosen to be repatriated back to the UK, but had wanted to go back to our French apartment, they were going to offer him rehabilitation too. Should probably have taken them up on it, I could have skived off in Monetier for another two weeks then.
snow conditions
Can anyone recommend me some good insurance services? I don't want to go in any trip without having traveler insurance. But I want cheap and direct travel insurance (My pocket cannot afford expensive one). I hope to get good suggestions.
snow report
Leon_8, this is a very old thread! The first big question is are you skiing off piste or not? Are you bothered about covering equipment, travel disruption, etc or are you really only concerned about legal and medical?
snow conditions
Oddy, the hyperlink in the post above takes you to an Australian site. Pink and porky?

Laughing
snow report
I used to be insured with direct travel insurance, and then 2 years ago the premiums doubled...

Now with 'Insure and Go' -- haven't had to make a claim, but there policy seems good to me
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy