Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

407 saloon and snowchains

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all

Apologies for another snow chains query, however wondering if some of you can help.

We need snowchains for this years trip but our handbook says our car cannot be fitted with standard snow chains and we should contact our Peugeot dealer. I have tried a few dealers for the reason why they cannot be fitted but no one can tell me.

Tyre size is 215 55 17.

Any ideas folks.

Sheila
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
17 inch wheels do not give enough clearance between chain and wheel arch and/or struts. Same issue on my Audi A3 (225,45,17).

I have been in touch with http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/rentals_car.htm and hired a set they assure me will fit.

Probably worth a call.

Cheers
JB
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Probably the clearance between the tyre/wheel and the suspension strut normally. Contact www.snowchains.co.uk and they should be able to sell you some that'll work. My old Renault Vel Satis with 245/45R18 had exactly the same issues, overcome the problem by special low profile chains.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jayxbee, You type faster than me. Laughing

Welcome to snowHeads btw snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Spyderman. Been lurking a while but this is the first time I thought I could add something. Maybe a while before I hit the 18k post mark!!!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jayxbee wrote:
17 inch wheels do not give enough clearance between chain and wheel arch and/or struts. Same issue on my Audi A3 (225,45,17).

I have been in touch with http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/rentals_car.htm and hired a set they assure me will fit.

Probably worth a call.

Cheers
JB

jayxbee, Snowchains have advised me to check for at least 12mm clearance, will do that tonight and hopefully will be able to get away with standard chains.

Spyderman, would those chains be the rather expensive £200 + jobs, was hoping to avoid the pricey ones as the car will be getting changed next year, eeeek.

Thanks for your help guys.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GixerGirl, I have a 407 estate with same size wheels it says you cannot put chains on but i have and do without any problem they are 9 mm chains not the greatest of quality but the get you out of a mess .They are 110 the first set they sent me were too small.Bought them from snow chains on the internet £30.00. Best fit them at home and see if they clear every thing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brock wrote:
GixerGirl, I have a 407 estate with same size wheels it says you cannot put chains on but i have and do without any problem they are 9 mm chains not the greatest of quality but the get you out of a mess .They are 110 the first set they sent me were too small.Bought them from snow chains on the internet £30.00. Best fit them at home and see if they clear every thing.

Thanks, will have a check at the clearances tonight.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Same clearance problem with my low profile tyres - handbook & vauxhall dealers saying snowchains unsuitable. I've wondered about doing suggestions above but am concerned that if had accident whilst driving in them then insurance might be invalidated. Any thoughts?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get a set of narrower steel rims fitted with winter tyres.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
anyone with views on Autosox - now legal in France from the beginning of this year.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Or alternatively would these provide an option?

http://www.rockshore.uk.com/snow-socks-by-multi-grip-269-p.asp

Not used them myself so can't comment on how good or bad they are.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for snowchains.co.uk likewise we were assured by the handbook not to use snow chains, but were provided with a set which are fine.

If changing wheels from original fit make sure you tell your insurance company
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GixerGirl wrote:

Spyderman, would those chains be the rather expensive £200 + jobs, was hoping to avoid the pricey ones as the car will be getting changed next year, eeeek.

Thanks for your help guys.

I bought Weissenfells Klack n' Go chains from snowchains.com. Fitted perfectly, I think they were about £100, but can't remember for sure. Good thing about them is that they'll let you swap them if you change cars, even if used for a fee.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GIXERGIRL " ... now legal in France from the beginning of this year ..."

Where did you see this? I seached for ages and couldn't find anything for certain!

JB
ski holidays
jayxbee wrote:
GIXERGIRL " ... now legal in France from the beginning of this year ..."

Where did you see this? I seached for ages and couldn't find anything for certain!

JB

Jayxbee I spoke to the roofbox company and they told me that just this year France had introduced the Autosock as legal, they also provide some sort of sticker thing approved for France that you display in your car.

Below is autosock's website giving further details along with an extract from their website.

http://www.autosock.no/default.aspx?did=9079022

During last winter, AutoSock was certified to comply with the French regulation for winter equipment. This means that from this year on, AutoSock can legally be used in France wherever the French snowchain sign (B26) is in place.

For using AutoSock on french roads when the snowchain sign comes up, you will need a sticker for your AutoSock packaging giving some additional information in order to comply with the french national standard. Please contact your AutoSock dealer to receive this sticker. Apart from France, AutoSock can legally be used when snowchains must be carried or fitted in Czech Republic, Slovenia and Germany
[/i]
ski holidays
Magic GixerGirl. Thanks ...
latest report
GixerGirl wrote:
anyone with views on Autosox - now legal in France from the beginning of this year.
They might be legal, but they're still useless.
snow conditions
I would think that by the time you have to put chains on, because you would never for the fun of it, you're well past the operating limits of the autosox
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy