Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will I like Panorama? (I hope so.....): I'm back and I did :-)

Poster: A snowHead
skid & slide, thanks, good tip

Jonny Jones, looks great - something to work up to
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think most folks have just about covered all there is to say about Panorama. The nightlife isn't limited at all - it's non-existent!! Forget the General Store - they are expensive and have very limted stock. Buy your food and supplies down in Invermere on the way in. The resort restaurants are very limited and a drive to Invermere for dinner can be a challenge on an icy road. Also if you rent skis, get them down at Invermere too - better selection, better quality and much better price.

We have skied Panorama several times now and while the skiing is good, we probably won't be going back. Whistler is a much better option - easier to get to, better runs (more variety), has nightlife, much wider choice of restaurants and bars, and just good service. Next January we are going back to Squaw Valley and Lake Tahoe - fantastic skiing!!

Last time we were at Panorama (February this year), we decided to have a drink after the last run. So skied right to the Great Hall and it was closed!! the next nearest bar was empty and seemed surprised to see us. They do tend to roll up the sidewalks after 5 pm. Oh and the snow was just adequate in February - on one of the runs back to the village the groomers had bumped some golfball sized gravel onto the run which was not good for skis!! It was still about the next day - no attempt to clear up the damage! The grading of the runs is misleading. This is not a mountain for beginners or even low intermediates as even the blue runs can be fast and steep. On the plus side, it has never been crowded (given the above this is hardly surprising), even 'adequate' snow as still very skiable, there is plenty of off piste and powder, the 'on-mountain' coffee hut is terrific and the heli-skiing is great! And of course there is the magnificent scenery of the Rockies.

We heard that a local consortium was bidding to buy from Intrawest, so when they have had a chance to work their magic maybe it might be worth another look.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bushranger, Thanks, I've been to Whistler. (I also said that I won't be using the shop or stocking up but thanks anyway). If we go to Invermere for dinner we'll get the bus or go by taxi, we won't be having a car. We'll have our own skis (got a free ski carriage deal on the go).

Your point about the Great Hall being closed is exactly the same as Fernie - the "pub" closed really early, but the grill was fine to have a drink. Also the snow - we went to Fernie in March last year and one of the tree runs was in a really poor state and a (gnarly old) local told us he hadn't skied it all season and wouldn't do so unless there was significant dumpage, most of the runs/bowls were fine and had plenty of cover.

I think you have to got here expecting it to be quiet. The rental company only have 400 rooms (capacity 2000 people) in the village plus the prvately owned condos, sure people will drive there but even so that's a heck of a lot of space per skier.

The local consortuium has bought it "On February 26, 2010 Panorama Mountain Village returned to local ownership when a group led by President and Chief Executive Officer, Rick Jensen, purchased the resort." so there might be changes to come.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx wrote:

The local consortuium has bought it "On February 26, 2010 Panorama Mountain Village returned to local ownership when a group led by President and Chief Executive Officer, Rick Jensen, purchased the resort." so there might be changes to come.

I'm not sure exactly what changes are possible - they can't do much about the relatively low snowfall for the area nor the fact that from any major airport you have to drive past a bunch of better skiing/livelier resorts to get there
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, true, I was thinking more about infrastructure.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The lack of nightlife is only a problem if you want nightlife. My ski trips are about skiing, not apres, so nightlife is the very last thing on my list of priorities when I choose a resort. I actually rather like the laid back atmosphere of a place where nothing is more than a short stroll away and I can guarantee that you won't encounter any noisy drunken idiots. Many of us don't need more than a can of beer and a board game or book to be happy in the evenings; I actually enjoy the company of my family and have no desire to surround myself with large numbers of hedonistic strangers.

Also, the lack of snow is only relative to the extraordinarily high local standards. Very many resorts in the Alps would be delighted to boast of a snow record like Panorama enjoys. And the ridiculously quiet slopes mean that the powder isn't all skied out within minutes of a snowfall.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonny Jones wrote:
I can guarantee that you won't encounter any noisy drunken idiots

If I go, I can guarantee there will be at least one noisy drunken idiot Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonny Jones, If you want noisy drunken idiots they are in the T Bar at about 11pm friday and saturday night. So Panorama has it all Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Surely they don't get the skier numbers to make investment worthwhile. fatbob makes a very good point.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
scotia, indeed, which means that if you want lively apres, self catered haute cuisine, shopping opportunities and busy slopes you'd be best off elsewhere
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Bushranger, Also the snow - we went to Fernie in March last year and one of the tree runs was in a really poor state and a (gnarly old) local told us he hadn't skied it all season and wouldn't do so unless there was significant dumpage, most of the runs/bowls were fine and had plenty of cover.

Last winter was an El Nino, so conditions in Pacific Northwest/BC never got really great (except Whistler) - until about April actually when it dumped Wink Both Fernie and Panorama had less than average snow. This year, fingers crossed, should be opposite with La Nina.

The locals do tho call it Ice-erama ...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gortonator, Fingers crossed indeed - I;ve booked for 5th March. Thank you the very nice people at ski independence Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx,
Quote:

the very nice people at ski independence
They're great, aren't they. I'm going to Whistler with them, in February.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, Yep, returning client; price matched a competitor and got a free upgrade to 1 bedroom apt instead of a studio. also free ski carriage Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I also booked my accommodation through Ski Independence last year and have nothing but praise for them. holidayloverxx, you've chosen well; have a great time.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, If you don't mind me asking how much and for how long? I might go back again this year as we liked it so much.
snow report
Yes, we've used Ski Independence twice when we went to Big White/Sun Peaks. Really good service. Hope you have a great time holidayloverxx snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
skid & slide, I'll PM you

edit - don't seem to be able to - saying that there is no such user even though I selected your use name from the list Puzzled
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
gortonator, Fingers crossed indeed - I;ve booked for 5th March. Thank you the very nice people at ski independence Very Happy

good luck - I suspect you've picked a good year and hopefully optimal time. Enjoy ...
snow report
holidayloverxx, PM sent.
snow report
Thanks everyone for the compliments. The snow is looking very promising for this season - here are some of the latest photos from the USA & Canada http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=246630&id=72281379191

Enjoy!

www.ski-i.com
ski holidays
SkiIndependence, welcome to snowHeads - hope you stick around (we've got the MD of Crystal amongst other tour operators) who contribute to the forum
latest report
SkiIndependence, welcome to snowHeads and please do stick around.
snow report
skid & slide, we've just booked for panorama through ski safaris, went a few years ago and loved it so when a deal came up we jumped at it, we got a upper village 2 bedroom appartment (1000 Peaks or Taramack) for 14nights for £600 pp inc flights, transfer and ski carriage based on 4 of us in the appartment (so no one has to have a sofa). Managed to get a cracking deal on lift passes too through snowcard so we're quite happy. We've had much cheaper deals before but as we arent so flexible on dates this year we didnt want to leave it to the last minute like we would normally. Please dont go peeing on my bonfire by finding it cheaper lol
snow report
SkiIndependence, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead As I said above, on two occasions we booked through you for a 2 resort stay of Big White and Sun Peaks. And even though there was no SI rep in either resort, your Whistler rep kept in regular contact with us to check everything was OK and to confirm the next arrangements. A really good service from them and also from your office staff who had actually been out to the resorts and knew what they were talking about when I rang up to enquire/book.
ski holidays
snobunni, WOW Shocked what dates? Ski carriage is free anyway, flights are probably around 450 with Air Transat, but that doesn't leave much for transfers and an apartment. Of course the only variable over 7 nights is the apartment cost, but still wow.
snow conditions
snobunni, Thanks for that. I might hang on a bit to see if I can put out a fire wink
holidayloverxx, Did you get my PM?
snow conditions
skid & slide, yes and I replied straight away. I don't know why my PM's aren't getting to you they are getting to other folk OK. maybe you need to query it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, we're going 19th jan coming back 2nd feb so we're their for my stepsons 21st birthday Smile Our flights were £400 each and we got 50% off the accomodation.

skid & slide, if you manage to extinguish that fire later in the sean let me know as i need to to get away in March too Smile
latest report
I’m just about to start my 4th season in Panorama, I run a training programme here.
Drop me an email when you’re coming out and I’ll show you where to get the best snow. I usually ski on my own during the day so would be happy to have someone to ski with.
jon@snowchallengecanada.com
www.snowchallengecanada.com
There’s always been a free bus to and from Invermere but it doesn’t run after 9.30pm. things are looking better here this year with some good changes being made by the new owners. It was getting a little run down when owned by Intrawest.
snow conditions
jonrose, welcome to snowHeads. would be great to meet up as long as we don't slow you down!
latest report
jonrose, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Pop into the Earl Grey Lodge and say hi to Phil Marshall (owner) - quite an entertaining chap! You may know the place if its your 4th season, of course. He skis too - may be someone to hook up with.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
jonrose, welcome to snowHeads. would be great to meet up as long as we don't slow you down!

You won't sloe me down. Look forward to showing you the hill.
snow report
Chasseur wrote:

Pop into the Earl Grey Lodge and say hi to Phil Marshall (owner) - quite an entertaining chap! You may know the place if its your 4th season, of course. He skis too - may be someone to hook up with.

I've met Phil a few times in the T-Bar. I'll say hi.
snow report
jonrose wrote:
Chasseur wrote:

I've met Phil a few times in the T-Bar. I'll say hi.

Nice one - thanks.....he may not recognise Chasseur, you may have to say Mark - known each other for 30 odd years.
ski holidays
jonrose, cheers - will be in touch nearer the time Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks to all for advice - we had a great time - trip report here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5047&start=200

Chasseur, Phil Marshall was very surprised when I passed on your "Hello" - get in touch with him!

We met up with BCJohnny who is still put there doing gnarly stuff, also Jon Rose who runs Snow Challenge, the instructor ski school - very nice to meet folk Very Happy
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, very fair write-up IMO. It's not really a resort for intermediates to keep going back to, even though it certainly has enough for one visit for anyone - like you - who's prepared to tackle easier bumps and trees. In denying yourself the double-blacks, though, you cut yourself off from maybe 30% - the best 30% at that - of the resort. If you ever find yourself back there, I'd recommend taking a private lesson or two to get you onto some of the double blacks. They're not nearly as difficult as they at first seem, but, if you're not taught the proper technique, things could get messy really quickly.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, good report. Thanks for passing on the "hello"!
snow report
I have just come back from a 7 week trip through ski resorts in BC. However, we didn't go to Panaorama. Bear with me ... the thread above has some recommendations for advanced skiing in Panorama. If you do go there for that reason, I would suggest you do - in fact, you would be bonkers not to - take a day trip to Kicking Horse. The skiing there is both extreme and exceptional. I uinderstand it has some of the steepest in-bounds skiing in the world. It can be intimidating so I would not recommend the trip unless you are very comfortable on ungroomed blacks. But if you are, I believe there is a shuttle bus for day trips from Panorama to Kicking Horse.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy