Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How old for children to start boarding?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

sustained spiral fracture of tibia. He'd probably have been better starting off with the board

Why didn't he, when he got the kit for Christmas and had got on well with it?

A bit like buying your child a season ticket for Sunderland and then taking them to see N666astle Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Why didn't he, when he got the kit for Christmas and had got on well with it?

~Well he really liked skiing AND boarding, and he opted to have a go at skiing first (we already had the right size skis, bought from boabski, so wouldn't have been much point getting him skis for Christmas!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, that's proper cr*p Sad Sad poor lad!

Thanks for all the info guys, this thread is really helpful, currently I am determined to make my nearly-nephew a proper tough outdoorsy extreme sports kinda guy... (he's called Jack and is my boyfriend's nephew). Jack's only 1 and a half and I will have him on skis about 4 if he's ready... he took his first steps last month Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy But my other half is of course a boarder and wants Jack on a board... I was aware of the age difference between kids starting boarding and skiing but other half was convinced he could start at 3... can now prove him wrong!!

I'd love for Jack to end up doing both and just being a cool dude Cool

I was cooing over kids snow gear in Mountain Warehouse today... sadly they don't do kit for 2 years old or I'd be spoiling him rotten!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gazzza wrote:
metaphor_ wrote:
The vast, vast, vast majority of children do not have the ankle strength necessary to edge a board (even to the point of stopping) until around 6-8.

On what basis are you making this statement ? Is there a study or some proven physiology about the strength of childrens ankle's ?

I honestly find it hard to believe that ankle strength is a problem as 3 years olds can run round like lunatics, ride bikes and can jump off things the height of their head and their ankle's seem to support them just fine.

I'd argue skiing is tougher on the ankle's because of the lateral pressure you put on them when turning - aren't ankle injuries much less in snowboarding because both ankles are strapped to the same plank and you are actually using your toes and high back to turning rather.

I susupect it's harder to teach kids because of the concept of only having one edge and they are less balanced generally.

On the physiology thing - it's probably a developmental thing - wrists aren't fully developed until 10 or so, and at a guess ankles would be similar. Complex joints require more control - it's not a strength in the resistance to injury context, rather more of a strength in the control context
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With Gazzza on this one, no physiological reason why a small child can't snowboard or ski - only barrier is to how well they can take on board instructions on what to do, how to do it, and staying focused on what they're doing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
i bought my 6 year old a board, she used it twice? good thing i didn't do the ride board/binding setup for $400. i pieced together board/boots/helmet for $230.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My 12yo daughter is now into her 9th season, she's getting annoyingly good - fast and confident on pretty much any terrain, and making it look easy. Her 10yo sister isn't far behind either.

It was definitely worth strapping them into a board when they were young and spending the time on teaching them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
our son has been skiing since 3, and this year at 8 had a go on a snowboard, we were convinced he wouldn't be able to do it, get on lift etc, but in his one hour private lesson he managed a lift and some turns on a nursery slope ( I am not a snowboarder so don't know what kind of turns!) but he enjoyed it and wanted to have another go so from that perspective it was a success
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would wait until your kids are absolutely determined that they want to take up snowboarding and do not push them into it too soon. There is a lot of pain and suffering associated with learning to snowboard so it is all down to whether or not your kid has the right mental attitude. I work in a snowboard shop and have been snowboarding for many, many years. My son and I have been away together every winter since he was 4. he has been on skis and I have been on a snowboard. I never even suggested to him that he might want to try snowboarding. This winter he asked me if he could have a go(aged 11) so he did 3/4 of a week on skis (because he is extremely comfortable on skis) and the rest of the time on a snowboard. He picked it up immediately and is far better after a few hours than I was after a few weeks. He can do small bunny hops, hits small kickers, straight lines blues, links turns on the steepest reds and loads more besides. I am the proudest dad I can not tell you! He puts his success down to having spent several holidays on skis following my snowboard tracks and watching what I was doing. Next year we are leaving the skis at home!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Encouraging reading as me, mrs and just turned 4 (at Xmas) son will be heading out to the alps (st. Martin d Belleville, les menuiresE, val thorns) this Xmas and want to try little frank out on....something! He's not fearless exactly, although he loves jumping, got stuck in a tree this week at school ( nursery) and is a whizz on his balance bike; however he will howl if he bangs his toe and finds concentration difficult. We would love him to board as we both board, but think it too early. Paulmc your story has encouraged me not to force the issue with him and it's a tough one as he initially said he didn't want to ski although a YouTube post of some didders skiing has peaked his interest. He's been out with us twice on the mountians but we just let him play in the snow so he knows what it's about. We want to get him to chill factore but he's quite stubborn and probably won't want to be taught...he gets very frustrated easily! I agree pam - motivation is the key. Any advice would be appreciated. Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy