Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sweaty thermals and string vests

Poster: A snowHead
quote="DB"]"The truth about waterproofs"
http://www.psychovertical.com/thetruthaboutbreathablewaterproofs[/quote]

Good article. Someone else quoted a section of it further up the thread. One of the photos you posted bears an amazing likeness to me in my new stringy thermals. not saying which one.

Yes, in hot string vest related news I can reveal that the Brynje string thermal T shirts I ordered have been delivered. They are made of white cotton 'string' with a mesh size of about 5 mm. The mesh feels odd against the skin when you first put one on, but you almost immediately stop noticing it. I've not had the opportunity to test one properly yet, but I can say that wearing one under an ordinary cotton t shirt feels noticeably warmer than just a t shirt, it feels perhaps equivalent to wearing a t shirt plus thin fleece. They do seem a bit short in the body though, i'd have preferred them to be a couple of inches longer.

The blurb on the packaging refers to 'Super Brynje' underwear, also net underwear but made from Meraklon rather than cotton, sadly this does not seem to be available in the UK.

I’ll post again when I've had the chance to test one properly.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Short in the body? Do you look like poo bear NehNeh
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm. Some nice looking base layers here http://www.brynje-shop.com/payment-methods.html

I am struck by the beautiful legs of the girl model. Shame they could only find a bandy man. rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, Thanks for that link. Looks like they do deliver to the UK, and the range on that site is much broader than that offered by the UK importer I found. May be time to wield the credit card again.

And yes, she does have good legs Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tiffin wrote:
Short in the body? Do you look like poo bear NehNeh

or Britney Spears?

http://stupidcelebrities.net/wp-content/britney-spears-see-thru-top-1a.jpg
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well my String T shirt has been used, and I was quite impressed.

I did one of Inside Out's all day ski clinics in the fridge at Hemel. On previous similar clinics I've worn a normal cotton T shirt with a windstopper fleece on top. I've generally found myself to be warm enough when skiing, but after lunch I'd be a bit chilled for a first few minutes as the T shirt would be slightly damp. by the end of the day the T shirt would be pretty sweaty.

On Monday I wore exactly the same set up, but with the string T shirt under the cotton T shirt. I was not chilled after lunch, and when I'd finished skiing, at 4.30, both the cotton T shirt and the string T shirt were bone dry.

I know that a day in a fridge is hardly a rigorous test. I'm also perfectly aware that a cotton T shirt is hardly ideal ski wear in any circumstances, I don't wear cotton when skiing in the mountains. It does however back up my idea that moving the base layer away from the skin, leaving small airpockets beneath, would prevent the base layer from getting damp and sweaty. I'm quite encouraged.

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
... and what's more, it made him ski like a god. Technical string vests could well be the new Goretex.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, I can't think of any gods that are noted for their skiing ability. Any particular god you had in mind?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Merino has come a long way since the 80s. I have man-made base layers and a merino one from Icebreaker and choose the merino every time (if no-one else has grabbed it first). It never feels clammy or damp and also hardly seems to pick up a smell, so if you're less inclined to wash(!) then that's a good point. My one says it can be machine washed but I've hand-washed it up til now. It is more expensive but you'll know you're wearing the best underwear possible and you'll ski better for it.....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar,
Quote:

Technical string vests could well be the new Goretex.

OK, now where did I put my source it from China Reference book wink wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spud9 wrote:

I am, as it happens technically a Geordie so the wearing of string vests is in my genes. I will of course have a bottle of Newcastle Brown tucked down the front, and wear a knotted hankie on my head snowHead

Look bonny lad, you're used to gannin oot on the toon in winter with a T-short. Ye divvent need a poncy jacket or owt like that, man! Dee wat ah dee and look at skiin like a tour doon the Bigg market on a Friday neet - troosers, T-short & nowt else. The lasses'll be gaggin for it an all! snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone still talking about string vests?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spud9 wrote:
rob@rar, I can't think of any gods that are noted for their skiing ability. Any particular god you had in mind?

Have you never heard of the Norse ski-God Ullr? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice research there ... I have just joined this forum, following a mission to find a string vest ... truly!! I have been using army surplus type vests for a few years with great success, apart from the unfortunate fact that I can only find cotton ones. So, they work great until I get wet (apocrine secretions). Has anyone found any string vests that are not made of cotton?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use a string vest (man made fibre) during summer whilst road cycling as it keeps my cycling top from becoming stuck to my back and therefore seems to keep my temperature regulated better and my clothes dryer. I have been on the search for the equivalent in merino wool for a couple of years and finally may have found the answer! The Norwegian company Aclima make a number of underwear garments called woolnet which looks as though it may be similar to a string vest type net construction. Nordicoutdoor.co.uk stock them but I haven't got the funds to purchase one as yet so if anyones got the money and time to do a review I for one would very much appreciate a write up on here!
snow report
Following on from my last post, My beloved wife went and bought me both the long sleeve and short sleeve Aclima woolnet vests for my birthday recently so here's a quick review.
The fit: I'm 6ft, 16 stone with a 44 inch chest and 36 inch waist. The xl fits me perfectly. They are close fitting but not restrictive in any way - because of the net construction they have a fair amount of stretch but retain their shape well over longer periods . As a base layer I prefer something close fitting to avoid too much bulk. The vests are long which allows plenty to be tucked in and avoids the cold lower back issue of shorter garments. This is particular useful for me as I do alot of road cycling and being bent over the handlebars can cause some garments to creep up my back - but not so with these. Would imagine these would be great for boarding to avoid the inevitable builders bum issue when clipping in.
Temp regulation: So far with my limited use of them they are brilliant. During a recent 4-5 hour cycle ride l never got overheated. I didn't get cold either when I'd stopped for 30 mins to make some work calls which can happen when base layers get wet. Although the vest was damp at the end of the ride, my top layer was perfectly dry where normally it wouldn't be. The movement of the vest over the body absorbs any sweat but because of the mesh it doesn't stick to your back or cause other layers to stick to it. Haven't had the really cold weather yet to test them properly but I'm already thinking choosing appropriate layers should be much easier.
Overall: fabulous product, seem to be extremely well made and well worth the money (they aren't cheap!). I'd recommend them to anyone and being merino wool they don't end up smelling horrible like the man made fibre vest I have tends to. Have been a merino convert for years purely because one merino wool t-shirt will easily do a hard weeks skiing without the need for washing. Saves having to have a fresh t-shirt everyday which means there more room in the luggage for other gear!
Hope this of some help to you all? Will follow up with an update later in the season once we've had some proper weather!
ski holidays
Wasn't sure whether to jump on the back of this thread or make a new one..... let me know if I'm in the wrong place.

I'm also looking at some baselayers for a trip to Val Thorens in December. Now I have loads of different thermals, but they're all from kayaking. I've worn these: http://www.peakuk.com/peakukkit.php?content=base&prodid=76 in the Cairngorms and Glenshee and I was pretty warm on windy days with a thin jumper over the top of them.
Will they be too warm for France or will I be able to get away with wearing them without a midlayer?
Is it worth picking up some cheap Merino baselayers from Mountain Warehouse?
ski holidays
[quote="Spud9"]Although this manufacturer does a T shirt that would fit the bill they don't seem to do long johns. quote]

http://www.brynje-shop.com/super-thermo-c12

They do do longjohns (see link). I've used mine for skiing and climbing in Scotland and the Alps and will buy another pair when my present pair wear out.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy