Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet YES or NO

Poster: A snowHead
snowcrazy, good attitude!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
laundryman, it is a bit like drinking beer out of a bottle all holiday and then having a beer out of a small glass and missing your mouth because your fuzzied brain has forgotten that the glass is 2 inches shorther than the bottle - or maybe that is just me Blush
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops, I think it's pretty well everyone after a few!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I've postulated that before - and was met with some derision.

not from me. I'm sure I hit my head more on things with my helmet on - how could you not, really, with the additional size? But it doesn't hurt. I've been struck on the head several times by twits bringing chairlift bars down with hysterical speed - both with and without the helmet. To me, there's no penalty for wearing a helmet and there just might (might) be a penalty for not wearing one. And as the cost is sunk, and my music library building up, it's not an issue for me, no decision to make.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, but they roll of the lunch table too - very annoying Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very interesting point made by both rayscoops and laundryman that you seem to hit your head more often when wearing a helmet!

I don't often fall when skiing, not because I'm a good skier, but mainly because I'm pretty slow and careful. I can't remember banging my head even once in my twelve years of skiing without a helmet. But it has happened twice in the four years skiing whilst wearing a helmet! One time I even saw stars and thought 'Lucky that I was wearing this helmet otherwise that would have been much worse'.

Anyone want to buy a second-hand helmet from me? The evidence obviously shows that I might be safer without it Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

they roll of the lunch table too - very annoying

true. But they do provide somewhere to stuff your gloves! They don't do much for my hair, but not sure a woolly hat is any better. They should make helmets flat on top to prevent the rolling - like some of those Crusader helmets. Or stick a ring on, like Indian women use to carry water pots.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr Marmot, in my first two years of boarding I took some almighty falls, some so bad that people actually stopped to see if I was alright. Funnily enough quite a few times when my helmet hit the hard packed snow I took comfort from the fact I was wearing a helmet (even though I was a bit groggy) and that I was a lucky puppy, yet with the tumbles I took without a helmet I never actually hit my head on the deck - although my hat did come off once Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, us the chin strap to clip it onto the back of your chair, sorted.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman wrote:
Overall, I'm amazed by the number of reported head impacts on Snowheads.

I've had a mild concussion at least once, probably twice, both times were prior to buying a helmet and the result of a high speed crash and hitting my head on hardpack snow. Lost a day and half of skiing on each occasion, one of which was during a rather expensive ski course.

I hit my head equally hard in a very high speed crash earlier this year but no concussion (although I wish my ribs had been as lucky). I can't say for certain if it was the helmet that led to a different outcome (I'm not inclined to do a controlled test on this), but my instinct tells me it did make a difference.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John wrote:
pam w, us the chin strap to clip it onto the back of your chair, sorted.

and then you can not squeeze through the cramped mountain cafes without setting of a cascade of ten pin 'helmet' bowls bouncing all over the place. They are the tools of the devil Very Happy
I might yet get one though, just a matter of when I can be bothered
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

you can not squeeze through the cramped mountain cafes without setting of a cascade of ten pin 'helmet' bowls bouncing all over the place

Laughing and quite a few of the places have bench style seats, too. One very nice resto in Crest Voland, where the proprietor is a bit of a control freak I suspect, provides special bag things to put everything in. Trouble is, if your gear is a bit damp, spreading it out all over the table is much better than stuffing it in a bag!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/borisjohnson/7289457/Wear-ski-helmets-by-all-means-but-Im-sticking-to-a-woolly-hat.html

Just thought I would stick this link in here as found it on google. Is this the Mayor of London?

Personally I was considering a helmet for 1st time this year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, tell me about it, coats, fleece, gloves, helmets - hardly enough room for the pie and chips and beer wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm in the no helmet brigade, for the reasons outlined by laundryman, andrayscoops.

My main concern is how much of the helmet 'craze' is being driven by marketing and fashion rather than genuine safety issues. Does anyone have any scientific evidence of the effectiveness of ski helmets in reducing head injuries while skiing?

I'm also concerned about where the helmet issue is going. It's obviously in the equipment industry's interest to persuade us that we need moere essential gear. Protective armour stuff is being pushed by e.g. Snow & Rock, and not just to racers. Equally there seems to be a lot more people with rucksacks and avalanche stuff around. (I fully accept that this may well be because more people are going off piste, but even so). It'll be interesting seeing what the next bit of kit that's deemed 'essential' will be.
ski holidays
Spud9, progress, change, development, they're all inevitable mate. But here's the thing, you don't have to buy everything that's marketed at you. You can still tool around in straight skis, leather boots and cable bindings if you want. Bet you don't though. You pick and choose the innovations that are relevant to your circumstances and choices.

You say that protective equipment is "being pushed" by SnR and others. I can't say I've ever had anything "pushed" on me, and I spend a fair amount of time mooching around such establishments. If by "pushed" you mean "stocked", then so what? Are you suggesting they should be kept under the counter, in the manor of a dirty movie? (psst, mate, got any spine protectors? Hold on John, meet me round the back in 5 minutes, hope you've got cash. Here's my personal mobile number, tell your mates)

The only things that are "essential" are skis, boots, trousers and a jacket (possibly gloves). The rest is up to you.
snow report
Dr John, Thin end of the wedge though innit? The cycling helmet debate has been comprehensively lost by the non helmet users and I think there have been a few attempts to introduce compulsory helmet wearing for cyclists. Equally it seems only a matter of time before insurance companies refuse to pay out on cycling accidents because the cyclist was negligent in not wearing a helmet (If it hasn't happened already). Ski helmet usage is following exactly the same path.
snow report
Spud9, tricky one. I know that cycle helmets are used as an analogy, but I don't see them as being completely comparable. When cycling you're likely to collide with things significantly larger, heavier and harder than you, and the pavement/road is made of concrete/tarmac. Skiing/boarding the conditions are much more variable. Also cyclists are cosseted by the law i.e. the presumption of driver guilt over cyclist responsibility. I'm only guessing here, but the issue of cyclist negligence would only come into play if it were a head injury being claimed for and no helmet was worn. Governments are bending over backwards to accomodate cyclists in cities, it's a brave insurance company that starts shafting cyclists claims and incurring the governments wrath.

How many skiers/boarders make an insurance claim involving a head injury? I haven't a clue, but I suspect it isn't many.

Random thoughts while munching a lunch time sarnie, could all be complete balls, obv.
latest report
Spud9 wrote:
Dr John, Thin end of the wedge though innit? The cycling helmet debate has been comprehensively lost by the non helmet users and I think there have been a few attempts to introduce compulsory helmet wearing for cyclists. Equally it seems only a matter of time before insurance companies refuse to pay out on cycling accidents because the cyclist was negligent in not wearing a helmet (If it hasn't happened already). Ski helmet usage is following exactly the same path.

If wearing a helmet could reduce my winter sports premium each year, I'm all for it. Cyclists certainly on UK roads don't have or need insurance, so there's nobody to control them through that kind of thing, unless you made it law and it was enforced.

It's only the thin end of the wedge if you are concerned about that wedge. I'm not. Helmets are a sensible choice for people who want to protect their heads. If you don't want to do that, then you can take the risk. That's ok for me, but I'd rather that high risk people don't put up the premiums of lower risk people.

Unless, of course, you believe that hitting your head without a helmet on is likely to be more safe than hitting your head with one on. Though the number of people who think this seems to be getting smaller and smaller every year, and it seems to be just their personal choice - nobody in the ski industry is pitching scare stories at anyone, I bought my helmet because it made sense to me after having had several fairly major crashes over the years - including a few bumps that I wished I'd had a helmet on afterwards.
snow report
Quote:

Does anyone have any scientific evidence of the effectiveness of ski helmets in reducing head injuries while skiing?

It's fairly obvious that if you hit your head, having a couple of layers of nice carbon/plastic and crushable foam is going to take some of the force out of it. I don't know how much force they can take, but some where there is a line where one on side you are dead/brain damaged and the other heavily concussed, and a helmet will undoubtedly push that line along the scale in the right direction, it's the 'how much' it extends it that's debatable.

People say head injuries are unlikely, why don't you protect yourself form the more obvious injuries. Obviously a helmet won't protect you from something like a broken leg, which is a much more likely injury, yet a head injury is a much more serious prospect (brain damage/death as opposed to not walking for a while), it makes sense to me to minimise it as much as possible.

People who ski faster because they have a helmet on are an example of Darwinism - why on earth would protecting one part of you're body make the rest of it (the bits more likely to break) feel invincible?!

Completely against making them compulsory though.
ski holidays
clarky999, nail/head (as it were). I agree wholeheartedly with all your points.

A severe head injury is the ultimate low probability/high consequence event. Witness the hole in the helmet photo earlier in the thread.
ski holidays
I'm not a fanatic about this issue, and rather regret getting drawn into the debate. However I'll just say that I agree with some of the posts above, that in my subjective opinion, helmet wearers are more likely to hit their heads than non helmet wearers. People seem to have a very good head protection reflex which works in most circumstances. Putting on a helmet makes a bigger volume that can come into contact with something, therefore reflexive head protection will be less effective.

On a slightly seperate point I'm sure i've seen research showing that when in a dangerous activity you introduce safety measures, people compensate by indulging in more risky behaviour. I thought Jeremy Clarkson got it right in one of his rants about safety equipment in cars. He argued that, If you want people to drive safely and responsibly you would ditch airbags, ABS brakes etc and install a big rusty spike sticking out of every stearing wheel.

(Not generally a fan of Clarkson by the way, but this thought stuck with me).
snow conditions
Spud9 wrote:
On a slightly seperate point I'm sure i've seen research showing that when in a dangerous activity you introduce safety measures, people compensate by indulging in more risky behaviour. I thought Jeremy Clarkson got it right in one of his rants about safety equipment in cars. He argued that, If you want people to drive safely and responsibly you would ditch airbags, ABS brakes etc and install a big rusty spike sticking out of every stearing wheel.

(Not generally a fan of Clarkson by the way, but this thought stuck with me).

Unfortunately as an example in the 1950s they didn't have seatbelts, they didn't have airbags, they didn't have steering colums that would crumple - they had effectively a big spike pointing at the driver, with a nice piece of glass behind it for your unrestrained head to go through if you got that far. And drum brakes. The roads were a massivey more dangerous place compared to the number of cars, and minor collisions had the potential to kill and they did. The same could be said of helmets - a minor accident is just that if you've got one on, otherwise it could be a more major accident quite easily.

Sorry for drawing you into this one, but the analogy doesn't stack up for me.

However, and I will concede this - the people who drive very old cars which don't have all these safety devices on the road now, compared to modern cars, are a very very low risk category and are visibly more cautious drivers - see the costs of classic car insurance as an example, however this is balanced with the very limited mileage in most cases and the owners time and effort invested in a vehicle vs the cost of just going out an buying a car.
snow report
Spud9, we have been here before. wrong. totally wrong as Monium points out . Have you even looked at year-by-year road death statistics?

And there is research showing no signs of adaptive behaviour in helmet users.
snow report
OK. Still not going to buy a helmet though.
ski holidays
Spud9, absolutely fine, nobody is trying to get you to buy a helmet, but don't quote complete rubbish which (should anyone not know that roads are hugely safer today, despite the big rise in traffic) might just mislead people.
snow report
What makes me laugh about helmet threads is the number of people who wear them because they may be hit by an out-of-control muppet. None of them admit to wearing helmets because they are that out-of-control muppet! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 brian
brian
maggi, I do, as pic posted previously will attest. Embarassed

I also cook, but in a hat not a helmet ...

Bork, bork, bork. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Urm, as i started this thread and have followed it with interest, one big thing springs to mind.

I am old enough ( just ) to remember when wearing helmets on a motorcycle became law, as my older brother moaned about it at the time. Now everyone wears one without thinking, unless of course you are of the sikh religion, then you are exempt.

Perhaps it should be made law, then the debate would be irrelevant, those against and for say aye or naye.

Still undecided by the way, but have bought a new pair of salopettes Madeye-Smiley
snow report
maggi, acute, as usual! Laughing
ski holidays
Timbobaggins wrote:
......Perhaps it should be made law, then the debate would be irrelevant, those against and for say aye or naye.....

Nanny knows best. You know it makes sense. Toofy Grin
snow report
Natasha Richardson.
snow report
lightningdan wrote:
Natasha Richardson.
in-coming Very Happy
snow conditions
It's simple - don't ski if you are scared of getting a serious head injury while skiing rolling eyes
snow report
FTFY

xyzpaul wrote:
It's simple - don't drive if you are scared of getting a serious head injury while driving without a seatbelt rolling eyes

xyzpaul wrote:
It's simple - don't ride a motorbike if you are scared of getting a serious head injury while riding without a helmet rolling eyes

xyzpaul wrote:
It's simple - don't shag if you are scared of getting a dose of the clap while shagging without a dunky rolling eyes

derrrrr.....

logic fail.
latest report
Timbobaggins, you're trolling.
latest report
horizon wrote:
Timbobaggins, you're trolling.

Nope, not guilty. You are Spartacus wink
snow report
I skied for years without a helmet- but when I took my kids skiing we all wore helmets - its second nature now. I even think I should wear the body armour I have for motor biking !!!!
snow report
Dr John,
Quote:

Also cyclists are cosseted by the law i.e. the presumption of driver guilt over cyclist responsibility.

I wish, there have been several well documented cases of drivers killing cyclists and getting 3 points on the licence.

PS I'm a helmet sceptic but the debate has been thrashed to death.
PPS Against my own judgement I have just bought one. Embarassed
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy