Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Likely interview questions

Poster: A snowHead
Timmaah, that's increasingly the impression I'm getting. It does appear that the sheer willingness of so many to get jobs in this sector affords employers the luxury of determining exactly what they'll pay, provide or account for.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamexpress wrote:
if you're at Geneva Airport anytime this season, i'll buy you a coffee!

You'd have to - I'm skint; give all our dosh to transfer/coach companies. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll buy you both one if I get this job! And you can have a lift back to resort...for €400. Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

It does appear that the sheer willingness of so many to get jobs in this sector affords employers the luxury of determining exactly what they'll pay, provide or account for

Well fair enough, I suppose - they're in a very competitive industry and selection can be an expensive business. Few candidates within the UK would have to spend as much as £100 to attend an interview.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, don't get me wrong - I wasn't criticising. Though I would disagree with the second string of your post as, with under a week to go before the interview, most of the long-distance fares to London (and then on to Gatwick) will set people back upwards of £100. That is assuming more than a smattering of candidates live outside the M25.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Astraeus, if it helps I paid around 75 pounds to get to my interview. I just made sure that I was truly prepared so that if I didn't get the job I could say I did the best I could, and hey! I got the job! Don't think about the costs, think about doing the best in the interview.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timmaah, cheers bud. Doing all my homework today, yesterday and tomorrow so here's hoping. snowHead

Still not 100% sure where I want to go though (which I supposed could be a boon if they want me to be flexible). I like the idea of Courchevel but don't see anything that would put me off being in Val d'Isere or Meribel. Is that a good thing?! Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Astraeus, yes, trains are super expensive at the last moment, aren't they? Coaches are much cheaper.

Quote:

Is that a good thing?!

yes!

Good luck. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So, it's tomorrow. Shocked

Researched prices, the chalets, the company, the competition, the areas and feel pretty comfortable talking about any of that. Ready to answer any questions on my CV and feel as though I've brushed up on a sufficient number of French driving laws. Can anyone else think of what might be useful? I have a two-hour train journey to ponder questions tomorrow!

Also, I'll be attending in a suit - got to treat the job with the respect it deserves, right?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Astraeus, good luck mate! i hope you get the job - you certainly put enough effort into thinking about all the things that may be covered, in the interview and the job.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Astraeus, Good luck snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I have a two-hour train journey to ponder questions tomorrow!

a useful way to spend a train journey would be to think of some relevant recent examples of times when you've shown the qualities and competences they're looking for. so rather than simply assert that you are cool in a crisis, or good at coping with the unexpected, or calming down someone throwing a Pandora, or working in a team with people very different from yourself, provide some specific evidence.

and if you feel very nervous at the interview and start rabbiting on and lose your thread, don't keep digging. Stop, tell them you're nervous and take a deep breath.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well the interview has been done - an enjoyable hour and a bit talking to the resort manager. I feel as though it went okay, but not great, so I'm hoping there was something there! All that's left to do now is hope my next post is in the 'Seasonaire's Check-in Thread'...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Astraeus, When are you likely to find out?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Astraeus, what, specifically, made you feel it wasn't great?
latest report
cad99uk, she's back in the office on Monday at which point she'll reconvene with the other managers and discuss their options. She says certainly by next Wednesday so, if it goes to plan, I expect a frantic week of shopping before flying out on the 18th!

Chasseur, self-doubt. She was very conversational which made for a comfortable and enjoyable interview but I don't see too many places where I would have stood out. I had the scenario question of an irate passenger who looked likely to miss his flight on account of an accident blocking the route. I said communication was key, be as reassuring as possible and just keep calm. As soon as I lose my head, it all goes to pot!

Other than that, she asked what the most important trait was for a driver. I said that the ability to drive safely was a given and that being personable and able to engage in conversation with anyone for a long period of time is the most useful trait. Friendliness trumps all!

So whilst I don't feel it was disastrous, I don't feel I will have blown their socks off. Annoying because it sounds like an absolutely amazing gig to get!
latest report
Astraeus, Just my take on things, but wouldn't the scenario question demand a response along the lines of: depending where the accident had occurred, one would have alternative routes potentially planned as a back-up (assuming that there are any alternatives in the first instant).

To be honest, I think if I was interviewing for a driver to safely ferry my customers around, I wouldn't be looking for someone to blow my socks off - I'd want someone calm, mature, resourceful, dependable, presentable and personable.
ski holidays
Not sure being able to hold a conversation for several hours whilst ferrying punters is desired - beyond a friendly disposition and a pleasant greeting, I'd rather you concentrated on the road as opposed to catching up on the latest happenings in Albert Square.....
snow report
I would want to know about your abilty to overtake downhill on a blind hairpin bend at 80kph, whilst ignoring the moaning passengers and playing the local radio very loudly. Ideally in a clapped out minivan.

If Carlsberg made transfer drivers.....
snow conditions
Astraeus, I'm not sure you can tell how it went. I remember coming home from one interview convinced that one of the interviewers (of 2) was sneering and sarcastic towards me and I didn't have a prayer. I got the job! Another job I went for, just for interview practice, I didn't particularly want, and didn't think I had the right qualifications for, I got too. OTOH, there's been a few times when I think I've "blown their socks off" and come nowhere.

Might as well stop dwelling on it now. Nothing more you can do! Fingers crossed.
latest report
maggi, thanks. Little Angel

The Voice of Reason, not quite what I meant. I was alluding to the fact that some clients will undoubtedly want someone to whom they can effectively talk "at" and you have to be responsive and warm to that.

Chasseur, the scenario was that we were stuck in the traffic on the route. I talked about how advance planning could have saved us and allowed us to take alternative routes but this stipulated that we were stuck, there was nothing we could do, and it was a case of how to treat the increasingly irate passenger.
ski holidays
Astraeus, will be a long few days, best keep yourself busy
snow report
Astraeus, ah, OK. Weird sort of question....like someone's going to fess up to knocking the irritating Fitzwilliam's teeth through the back of his neck Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy