Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Likely interview questions

Poster: A snowHead
Astraeus, Good Luck Buddy, I hope all goes well. Razz
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well I made it through the interview! Very Happy

I'm now sourcing the cheapest tickets to get me from home to London Gatwick Airport to meet with a company rep next Thursday for a second-round interview! The recruitment girl was very friendly and today's interview was more like a chat - none of the merciless grilling I had been dreading! Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Astraeus, Nice one. Good luck with the next round.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Astraeus, +1
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Astraeus, snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Astraeus, Fantastic news Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Actually, as far as I am concerned someone is not a 'candidate' until they have been selected by us for interview

Ehhh?!!!

I've never heard anything lke it!

So what are those who are not selected for interview then? Timewasters? Shocked Shocked

Looks like Chamexpress aren't doing themselves any favours on here, I'm afraid...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bergmeister, um , maybe they are an "applicant" rather than a time waster or candidate
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, I think "applicant" is fair enough at that stage. I do agree it's impolite not to reply to those not selected for interview but it's very common now, even for jobs such as full time teaching posts - there are just so many applicants. Sometimes they say " if you don't hear from us by X you should assume you've not been selected for interview".

Chamexpress' selection process does sound very thorough; I imagine the successful candidates are very good indeed. I'm glad they give them a driving test; I'd hate to think I was entrusting my transfer to an untested and inexperienced driver.

My son in law was unsuccessful in a job application last week - he was very disappointed. He's a PE teacher. The 5 interviewed applicants all had to teach a lesson. He was told in his feedback that his lesson was the best of the bunch, but one of the other candidates, a woman, had done a better presentation to the panel. Word on the grapevine (my daughter teaches at that school) was that they really wanted a female candidate - for good reasons as girl's PE is not great at that school - but couldn't advertise for one. That was one hurdle he couldn't cope with.

It's a miserable and nerve-wracking process, being interviewed/assessed. I've mostly been on the other end of it, as an assessor, but we never underestimated the toll it took of the candidates and we did provide quite detailed feedback.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
they really wanted a female candidate - for good reasons as girl's PE is not great at that school - but couldn't advertise for one. That was one hurdle he couldn't cope with.

What a shocking waste of everyone's time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chamexpress, though most of what you say is very reasonable, you seem not to have realised that on here you are (mostly) the one who is being assessed by the people with the check-books. I must say that your very weak excuse that you don't reply to applicants because you have rather a lot of them is not doing your company much good. Although price and service are what customers are looking for most, the impression that you probably don't treat employees very well does make a difference. For example word used to be that Foyles treated their staff badly and I tended not to go there for that reason if I felt I could get the same thing elsewhere.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Further to the post above:

If you read what I have said in my earlier postings, I have never stated that we do not reply to Applicants. I said that we conduct an initial 'sifting out' of CV's before we then send out Application Forms. Anyone taking the time to complete and submit an Application Form is notified if they are called for an interview or are unsuccessful. Indeed, those attending interviews are also notified of their successful appointment or otherwise.

However, I am very much against the lazy 'cut and paste', send the same CV to all employers' thing. Whilst it may be quick, it does not suggest a real and genuine interest in applying for our specific vacancy and I am unwilling to waste my staffs time, and my company's money, on people who can't be arsed. Which is why we ask for a handwritten Application Form to be completed. Someone who is diligent, fits our employee profile, and completes their application form fully is likely to be a strong candidate for an interview.

You are not an employee until you have signed a contract of employment. Once someone becomes an employee, they are treated with respect and integrity (which ofcourse is a two-way street). They are offered a salary and work package that is among (if not the) best in the industry. In addition drivers can also qualify for a performance related bonus worth an additional 200 euros per month to them.

This is why we have such a demand for positions with us.

Believe me, there are a lot of shi*sters in this industry (especially in Chamonix) who are here for a 'quick buck'. We're not one of them! Our company policy is one of reliability and integrity towards both our customers and staff.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I hope this provides some clarification.

Best regards.

Andrew
SARL Chamexpress.com
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Astraeus wrote:
Well I made it through the interview! Very Happy

I'm now sourcing the cheapest tickets to get me from home to London Gatwick Airport to meet with a company rep next Thursday for a second-round interview! The recruitment girl was very friendly and today's interview was more like a chat - none of the merciless grilling I had been dreading! Cool

This isn't supposed to be negative but, you're now expected to put your hand in your pocket and expense you're own trip, by air, to attend an interview. When the first doesn't sound as though it was much of a qualification exercise. This sounds more like a screening process in word only....an attempt to fill in an interview schedule for the end hirer. I'd be cautious to be honest, unless they'll reimburse your costs.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chamexpress, you get more URLs on your sign-off every time. wink
snow report
Chasseur, I'm not flying to Gatwick though your point remains valid on any account. I was going to raise the question of reimbursement at the interview itself as I didn't want to dissuade them from interviewing me on account of me trying to penny-pinch at the outset.

Are you suggesting they could have filled all of their spaces already? The lady on the phone suggested that I wouldn't be the only person she was seeing on that day. I felt like the outlay of £95, though steep, should help my cause as it's an indication of how much I'm willing to go through to get the job.

Chamexpress, do you know if all the spaces are filled for Morzine as well as Chamonix?
snow conditions
Astraeus, no, I'm suggesting that. It sounds as though there is an interview schedule and that they're filling slots from which they'll pick the best candidate - good luck, I hope that you make it. My point was that from your earlier post, it didn't seem to be an interview to then only take the best qualified candidates through. Not much of a qualifying process in other words..
ski holidays
Chasseur, gotcha. It didn't feel as though Saturday's interview was intensive enough to seriously weed out the weaker candidates but then I'm expecting more grilling to occur on Thursday. I think Saturday's was a case of making sure I wanted this job - questions as to why I wanted to do a ski season, why I was right for it, why I wanted to be where they service and why I wanted to be a driver. I think the scenarios will come on Thursday and so I'm keeping all this forum's useful information in mind for that occasion.

As an aside, they service Courchevel, Meribel and Val d'Isere, including a ski pass for whichever valley I choose which can be upgraded at my own cost to include the entire area. I'm veering towards Courchevel and Meribel as a second choice but what do people think of the respective valleys and where I should head for?
ski holidays
maggi wrote:
Astraeus wrote:
it would have served your reputation well for conducting business in a professional manner if you had the courtesy to acknowledge my application.

That's my pet hate at the mo. Companies want you to spend all flipping day filling in their highly individual on-line job application forms (ie, you can't copy and paste anything because absolutely everything (ie day, month and year, qualification, awarding body, grade etc) is in a separate field. Then you have to illustrate that you can fulfill every single point of their 27 point person specification and also spend time telling them why you really want (and would be ideal for) their poxy badly-paid job.

Then, after all your effort they can't even be &rsed to e-mail you one sentence to tell you that you haven't even made the interview. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Yours, a Jobseeker x.

This is the heart of the issue. Employers/companies like to feel they are so special and therefore have unique requirements that require a reasonable amount of hoop jumping. This is fair enough to the extent it weeds out the feckless but to the jobseeker - its just part of the numbers game that is getting a new job. The courtesy of a form email reply doesn't seem a stretch, after all a propective employee may be a future customer.
snow conditions
Astraeus, well, good luck anyway.
ski holidays
Chasseur, cheers! Very Happy
ski holidays
Chasseur wrote:
Astraeus, no, I'm not suggesting that. It sounds as though there is an interview schedule and that they're filling slots from which they'll pick the best candidate - good luck, I hope that you make it. My point was that from your earlier post, it didn't seem to be an interview to then only take the best qualified candidates through. Not much of a qualifying process in other words.
latest report
Chasseur wrote:
Chasseur wrote:
Astraeus, no, I'm not suggesting that. It sounds as though there is an interview schedule and that they're filling slots from which they'll pick the best candidate - good luck, I hope that you make it. My point was that from your earlier post, it didn't seem to be an interview to then only take the best qualified candidates through. Not much of a qualifying process in other words.

Why are you quoting yourself in threads? Shocked
snow report
Quote:

As an aside, they service Courchevel, Meribel and Val d'Isere, including a ski pass for whichever valley I choose which can be upgraded at my own cost to include the entire area. I'm veering towards Courchevel and Meribel as a second choice

Courchevel and Meribel are two of the Three Valleys - the other being Val Thorens. Val D'Isere is a completely separate area, which along with Tignes makes the Espace Killy.

Personally I dislike Meribel - not that I know it that well. I find it's full of bars with too many Brits and too many strewn around chalets and not super convenient for the skiing (Mottaret, further up, is better and has better snow cover) but the whole of the 3V is a terrific area with masses of skiing. Courchevel is, I think, the nicest of the 3 Valleys. Even a one-valley pass would give you more skiing than plenty of decent-sized resorts. For an entire season I'd go with Val d'Isere if you have a choice (I don't know that v well either, but my son has done seasons in 3V and EK. He enjoyed Val D'Isere (far more going on there than there is in Meribel) didn't enjoy Meribel and was pretty happy with Courchevel, if only because one of the chalet lads was an ace snowboarder who knew the valley very well, and Nick learnt a lot from him.
snow conditions
Astraeus wrote:
Chasseur wrote:
Chasseur wrote:

Why are you quoting yourself in threads? Shocked

I'm not Shocked All I did was edit that last post by adding a word I'd missed out and then the whole thing reappears as quote in a new post - happened in Apres too....
snow report
Chasseur, are you hitting the quote button rather than the edit button by mistake?
snow conditions
Nope, nor am I seemingly able to delete the self-quote...
ski holidays
Chasseur, didn't that just happen in another thread over in the AZ? You're haunting yourself!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chamexpress wrote:
Further to the post above:

If you read what I have said in my earlier postings, I have never stated that we do not reply to Applicants.

Yes I know, but you quoted Astraeus post saying he had had no reply and then say

"We receive many hundreds of CV's each autumn." Since you made no further comment relevant to his getting no reply (such as an apology for it) I assumed this was your answer.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 1-11-10 16:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Chasseur, didn't that just happen in another thread over in the AZ? You're haunting yourself!

So it would seem.... Laughing
snow conditions
Astraeus has exchanged pm's with me since the original posting. As I discussed with him through PM, I can't say whether we ever received his CV/Application in the first place as he hasn't actually told me who he is (and would rather not tell me now). So I can't check. Shocked

We've shaken hands about this thread, so to speak, anyhow.

As for job vacancies, we're pretty much sorted now, so any fresh Cv's would be on our reserve pile. Pending anyone pulling out between now and December.

As for interviews, Me and my management team fly over to the UK and we hold non-stop interviews in a conference room at a Marriott for a whole weekend at the beginning of October. Alternatively, people can interview in either resort.

Cheers.

Andrew
SARL Chamexpress.com
www.ive-run-out-of-url-links-to-put-here-now.com Very Happy

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER 'Chamexpress' 'Andrew Martin'
snow report
I've got much more experience in the large corporate job recruitment world, but I would always expect to have my (reasonable) travel expenses paid if I was asked to travel for an interview. It would make me very nervous to be asked to shell out £95 for an interview with no idea what my changes are. The problem is that of course is a very delicate question to raise when you are looking for a job...

I've done a lot of interviewing for jobs, and some of the things I look out for in applicants probably apply just as much for the job you are looking for:
- Turn up on time. This is vital, if you think about what you are applying to do!
- You are applying for a customer service job, so look respectable, shave, wear something smart (doesn't have to be a suit).
- Don't explain to the interviewers at length why the job is great for you and your gap year/career development hopes. Why should they care? Explain why it's in their interests to employ you i.e. why you would be better at the job than others who have applied. Although showing motivation is also a good idea, so why you want to do this is a frequent ice-breaker question.
- Show some evidence of skills/interest in what you want to do - learn something of those ski resorts, of the routes from Geneva to the resorts, do you know about Swiss and French highway codes? Tolls? Accident reporting procedures? Visa requirements? Customs? Can you show an interest in driving skills or cars/vans?
- Know something about the company you are applying to - how big are they? What do they charge? How long have they been around? Why did you choose them to apply to? What vehicles do they run?
- If I were asking questions I might ask something like "how would you react to a 3-year-old getting travel sick and puking up all over the back of the car?"

A bit late now, but never lie on your CV.
ski holidays
Astraeus, I think you should bite the bullet and ring them tomorrow just casually enquiring "so what's your travel reimbursement policy? Should I bring the flight booking details or will you need my CC receipt?". I honestly don't believe any decent outfit would want to see someone out of pocket - it only be 95 quid, but 95 quid is 95 quid and certainly more when you add on drinks/snacks/airport parking.
latest report
Right, I've thought about it and taken it all on-board and I agree that, if they're serious about employing the right person for the job, they'd be willing to pay £100 to get that person to an interview. As such, I shall make a phone call tomorrow to see what the policy is on reimbursing travel expenses.

Frances, thanks for the input. I've been researching the resorts, driving laws and the company all week so I hopefully feel as though I'm sufficiently clued-up on the matter. Was having the clothing debate earlier - I'm thinking shirt and a V-neck jumper but others insist I treat it like a serious job interview and go shirt-and-tie. I don't want to seem stuffy so thinking of settling on a shirt with no tie?
ski holidays
That is a tricky one.

My intuition has always been that if one demonstrates that they take the job seriously by wearing a suit and tie, it is rarely likely to do anything other than be received positively.

That said, this isn't a job/industry that I've worked in. I'm erring towards shirt, tie and v-neck. At least it demonstrates being smart and taking things seriously without being heavy handed by wearing suit and tie. Don't forget to polish the shoes.... wink
snow report
Chamexpress wrote:
However, I am very much against the lazy 'cut and paste', send the same CV to all employers' thing. Whilst it may be quick, it does not suggest a real and genuine interest in applying for our specific vacancy and I am unwilling to waste my staffs time, and my company's money, on people who can't be arsed.

Well said - agree 100%

See here for a post I made on Natives else about this same thing.
Note - all our new people for next season came from our Natives advert.

Astraeus wrote:
Right, I've thought about it and taken it all on-board and I agree that, if they're serious about employing the right person for the job, they'd be willing to pay £100 to get that person to an interview. As such, I shall make a phone call tomorrow to see what the policy is on reimbursing travel expenses.

This is a two way street .....

I honestly don't know the real reason, but up until this year we used to supply train/flight tickets to our interviews, we didn't this year and the standard of applicants was higher on average than in previous years.
snow report
@ Wayne:

Seems we both have the 'Alan Sugar'/'Duncan Bannatyne' approach Happy) if you're at Geneva Airport anytime this season, i'll buy you a coffee!

Interestingly, we have also found this year that the standard of Applicants from 24/7 Recruit is generally considerably higher than that from Natives.

Without getting on my hobbyhorse, it is (I believe) quite noticable that the approach of the generation seeking work that has grown up during the Labour Government years expect everything on a plate, but those that grew up in the Thatcher years (love her or hate her - personally I love her). Expect to work for it. wink
snow conditions
Chamexpress, you've prompted me to ask a question about how the job adverts work on 247recruit as it's something I was wondering last week after a couple of my applications through there came back with the news that all the vacancies had been filled.

There is still an advert up for a driver for Chamexpress even though you've indicated you've filled the roster - do the adverts stay up for a set period or just until you notify 247recruit that they're filled? And do you leave it up to try and get some people on the reserve list?
snow conditions
@ Astraeus:

Yep, I think we've paid for a set period. I.e. Our Natives adverts just finished, but I think the 24/7 recruit ones run for longer.

It does serve the purpose of enabling us to create a reserve list. Though most of our new employees for the season have now paid their 'committment bond' and have arranged accommodation, it is unlikely that many will now drop-out. I've probably tempted fate now though! Occasionally, people do drop-out due to a family emergency etc. In which case we refer to our previous interviewees who weren't offered a position and also our reserve CV/Application list.

Cheers.

Andrew
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
ski holidays
Frances, Chasseur, very few winter companies reimburse travel expenses. It's pretty common in this sector.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy