Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Likely interview questions

Poster: A snowHead
Shimmy told me to... Shocked

I've got an interview as a driver/chauffeur for a transfer company. And I have an unnerving sense that I'm going to be unprepared for some of the questions they'll ask as it's my first interview in this field of work. Could you kind Snowheads please be sweet enough to offer up some potential questions?

I've clued up on the vehicles in use and French road laws as a start. Any pointers as to where I else I ought to look will be gratefully received.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check out http://www.natives.co.uk/skijobs/interview.htm
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ok Astraeus, tell me about yourself...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Where do I find the nannies and the head barman?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jbob, useful link but already popped it in t'old favourites cheers! Smile

Bode Swiller, it's a 30-minute interview. rolling eyes

Whitegold, I'm confused. No kids and no desire to drink excessively. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Astraeus wrote:
Bode Swiller, it's a 30-minute interview. rolling eyes
Not good, I'd need a lot longer than that to talk about ME.

OK then, here's a few others:

"admit it, you're just here for the skiing aren't you? Persuade me otherwise"

"So, what are you running away from then?"

Helpful?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They seem serious about safety.
Picking up randoms is an issue for drivers.
Reliability.
You might get something on those.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just make sure you ask as many questions (if not more) of them too!

French Contract? Yes, it should be.
Do I have to wait for/meet the passengers myself at the airport?
Holiday Pay? Yes, you are entitled. It's 10% of your total gross salary for the season.
How much am I paid? 8.86 euros per hour is the minimum wage in France.

I hope you get my drift! wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chamexpress, I applied to you and Morzexpress and never ever got a response. rolling eyes Confused

They can opt-out of the minimum wage if they're providing the benefits though, can't they? I think the €1800 per month (at marcellus' valuation) makes it worth more than the minimum wage. Holiday pay was one question I was going to ask - good to know! They've answered the question about meeting the passengers but I can always ask them anyway.

Thanks for the helpful input! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Astraeus, don't ask a question they've already answered! It's meant to be to find out stuff you don't already know.

Also, doing a rolling eyes smilie at a potential employer may not be the best approach wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, I meant asking in a 'confirmation-seeking' manner. As in to say, "I saw that we're asked to meet customers inside the terminal. What is the procedure for leaving the vehicle?" or something. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Astraeus, I know you're trying your best to be successful in getting a job - and well done for getting an interview. But with all your different threads and questions on this, you're coming across to me as someone who wouldn't know what to do or how to think calmly/use their initiative in an emergency and would do a jb1970 wink

I would perhaps make sure that you, IRL, are not readily identifiable from your postings here. Bear in mind that threads in 'The Piste' can be viewed by people not logged in.

Good luck with the interview Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Astraeus, Asking too many questions is not the way to secure a job. Anything about pay and conditions can be asked after they have made an offer. The interviewer will most likely have made up his/her mind before the "have you any questions" moment and you are far more likely to unsell yourself than improve your prospects. Also they may have three more calls to make.

If there is something about your qualifications, experience, or motivation that has not been covered that you think will make a big difference then tell them, but be careful not to overdo it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I would perhaps make sure that you, IRL, are not readily identifiable from your postings here

Of course he is. cathy, I think you're right. Need to come across as completely calm and dependable (at least, that's what I'd want in my transfer driver).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Look at your application, if you've put anything down that you think you could be asked questions about think about what you would say. If you wrote you like reading or films, you might be asked about the last one you read or saw. I was on a panel once where on the form the applicant had put they restored classic cars as one their hobbies, unfortunately one of the panel happened to restore classics, a couple of questions from her and it was soon established that his interpretation of classic restoration was more on the level of stick on pinstripes and furry dice. rolling eyes
snow report
Astraeus wrote:
Chamexpress, I applied to you and Morzexpress and never ever got a response. rolling eyes Confused

They can opt-out of the minimum wage if they're providing the benefits though, can't they? I think the €1800 per month (at marcellus' valuation) makes it worth more than the minimum wage. Holiday pay was one question I was going to ask - good to know! They've answered the question about meeting the passengers but I can always ask them anyway.

Thanks for the helpful input! Very Happy

We receive many hundreds of CV's each autumn. After the initial sifting out, we then send out Application Forms, which must be completed in hand writing (no copy and paste here!).
You'd be surprised the number of people who then suddenly 'can't be arsed'. So that's the second sifting out process.

Then we will select for interview in London or Resort. (third sifting out process)

Then we have a driving assessment. (forth sifting out process)

Committment Bond (fifth sifting out process)

This way, this coming winter we have assembled a fantastic team of Drivers, Airport Reps and Admin Staff of all nationalities and I look forward to working with all of them.

So, I'm sorry that you didn't get all the way through the application process on this occasion. Though please try again next year, taking into consideration some of the advice on this thread.

Best regards.

Andrew, SARL Chamexpress.com = (Happy Bunny - Got a personal twitter from Alan Sugar this morning!)
ski holidays
Quote:

unfortunately one of the panel happened to restore classics, a couple of questions from her and it was soon established that his interpretation of classic restoration was more on the level of stick on pinstripes and furry dice.

Laughing an interviewee at the Civil Service Selection Board wrote on his form that one of his interests was sailing. I asked him to tell me about a recent trip. He told me that during the summer vacation he had sailed his dinghy from Lymington to Weymouth. I didn't believe this (it's a challenging dinghy sail to put it mildly) so I said that sounded jolly impressive and asked him to tell me how he'd set about planning this trip, what problems he'd anticipated, etc. It was clear from his answer, which didn't even mention tides (the key consideration) that it was complete baloney. So I just went straight on to the next question. Stupid boy.

I was once asked in an interview whether I had read a particular, recently published, book. I hadn't read it, but by sheer lucky fluke had heard a discussion about it on radio 4. I didn't claim to have read it but spoke about the radio broadcast I'd heard and how it had whetted my appetite to read the book itself. If I'd not heard that broadcast I would have had to say, rather lamely, that I hadn't read it.

That would now be considered very old-fashioned interview technique, but it was 40 years ago!
snow conditions
cathy, I think you're wrong. How is utilising such a valuable resource as Snowheads showing me to not have initiative? I think I'd be a fool not to use whatever means possible to ensure I was fully-suited to the task at hand. I also discounted your gross exaggeration vis-a-vis the number of threads. Two, possibly three at best, and only then as it was twice suggested to me that Apres Zone wasn't the best place to post if I wanted maximum exposure.

I also can't see anywhere in my postings which has indicated I don't work well under pressure or that I'm incapable in emergency situations. All I can say is that I'm glad for several other Snowheads on this thread and on my other thread as they've gone out of their way to be supportive and helpful as opposed to strolling into a thread with nothing but underhanded and ill thought-out comments questioning my suitability to the role. Your end sentence lost any resonance with me on account of the rest of your post.

jbob, I don't intend to use the questions to get myself the job. It was Chamexpress who proposed asking questions and I merely reiterated that I'd be seeking clarification on a couple of issues - that, of course, is best done by asking questions.

anarchicsaltire, thank you. I've erred on the side of not over-selling myself on the CV so anything on there is easy to back-up and things which I wouldn't be comfortable talking about are omitted. In the past, and to an extent here too, I look forward to interviews as I feel more comfortable talking about these things in person than I do on paper. Smile

Chamexpress, I understand and sympathise with your plight regarding being swamped by applications but distributing an email to each of the candidates whose application was unsuccessful would take a few seconds - you simply copy and paste the rejection letter - and it just shows that you have respect for them having taken the time and effort to apply to your company. It was good enough for lots of less reputed companies and, especially given that I contacted Chamexpress on a personal recommendation, it would have served your reputation well for conducting business in a professional manner if you had the courtesy to acknowledge my application.
ski holidays
Astraeus, fine - just my advice, no need to take it personally.
snow report
cathy, where was your advice? Besides effectively issuing a "watch your back" warning, there was no advice, only sly remarks about my conduct to date. And your impression of me was as someone who had no initiative and couldn't work well in an emergency - exactly which aspect of that wasn't personal? C'mon now, be serious... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Astraeus wrote:

Chamexpress, I understand and sympathise with your plight regarding being swamped by applications but distributing an email to each of the candidates whose application was unsuccessful would take a few seconds - you simply copy and paste the rejection letter - and it just shows that you have respect for them having taken the time and effort to apply to your company. It was good enough for lots of less reputed companies and, especially given that I contacted Chamexpress on a personal recommendation, it would have served your reputation well for conducting business in a professional manner if you had the courtesy to acknowledge my application.

FWIW, whilst "right to reply" and well-meaning advice, uncritically put are to be applauded, I think that if I owned Chamexpress, I might red-flag any applications from drivers from South Yorkshire next season.......
latest report
Chasseur, I'm aware it may be seen to be burning bridges though it is by no means my intention. But my only ski season window is this one coming. From next year it's all the real world. Sad
ski holidays
Astraeus, good luck with your job hunt but I have to say while I was sympathetic with your plight and approach your last few posts don't really show the kind of temperament one might be looking for in a service industry employee dealing face to face with valued customers.

But then I haven't got any jobs available in a ski resort so my opinion probably doesn't matter to you (although ChamExpress definitely does).
snow conditions
Tiger2, he doesn't have any jobs available. wink

I'm not feeling as though my temperament has been affected by this conversation and, of course, I act differently on an internet forum where flippant remarks are the order of the day. I'm nothing if not polite and professional - just ask my CV. wink

If anyone still feels any goodwill towards me, I'd appreciate any more help on the interview questions as you'd been very helpful.
latest report
Astraeus wrote:
it would have served your reputation well for conducting business in a professional manner if you had the courtesy to acknowledge my application.

That's my pet hate at the mo. Companies want you to spend all flipping day filling in their highly individual on-line job application forms (ie, you can't copy and paste anything because absolutely everything (ie day, month and year, qualification, awarding body, grade etc) is in a separate field. Then you have to illustrate that you can fulfill every single point of their 27 point person specification and also spend time telling them why you really want (and would be ideal for) their poxy badly-paid job.

Then, after all your effort they can't even be &rsed to e-mail you one sentence to tell you that you haven't even made the interview. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Yours, a Jobseeker x.
ski holidays
Astraeus, When in a hole stop digging! Starting out you sounded like an inexperienced lad wanting to do good! Anyone would be willing to help and direct you to a particular point, but your last few responses to criticism seemed to open a vitriolic valve! This will not help you either in the position you require for this year or indeed where you will be after this year ..... as you call it "the real world".

Be yourself, dont cowdoo, if your personality is right for the company and you will fit in with their team you will get the job. Fitting in with the team is one of the most important factors in achieving the position after all at the level you are going for, they will not be looking for someone that may need to ruffle feathers with their strategy of change!!

PS I did not write "cowdoo" I wrote BS!!!!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 29-10-10 15:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
At the risk of prelonging a thread that is now dying a slow death.... (but since i've a few minutes on my hands this Friday afternoon) Smile

Actually, as far as I am concerned someone is not a 'candidate' until they have been selected by us for interview. We glance at the CV's then bin them because we haven't the time to tease information out of them. This is why we send out an Application Form that has the questions we want to know the answers to, on it. Also, most importantly, you have to attach a recent photo.

You would be surprised the sort of photos we get attached! From a wedding pic, a night down the pub after a few beers, or a university pic from 15 years ago.

Both the completed Application, and the photo allow us to begin to form an opinion on an Applicant. Also, we generally do a search on Facebook, Twitter, and Google, looking a their postings and comments on forums such as this one. Everything, goes to build an impression.

This year we have had an exceptionally high standard of Applicants. It may be for this reason that your's wasn't taken further, and it is not meant as a personal afront to you.

BTW as you said you didn't hear from us. I would have expected you to chase up 1. whether we had received your CV/Application Form safely? And, 2. what the outcome was? And, 3. If rejected, why? All three of these acts would demonstate some level of initiative. However, I believe that you have done neither.

Oh and a few more top tips whilst I'm at it:
snow report
1. Dress smartly and don't wear trainers
2. Make sure you are clean shaven.
3. Make sure your hair is cut short.
4. DO NOT CHEW GUM!
5. Firm Handshake
6. Good eye contact
7. Do not slouch in the chair

Basically, don't dress or act like a ski bum. Because you are representing the transfer company to its customers.

I remember a case last winter at Geneva Airport. It was so amazing that I had to take a photo on my mobile (which I now use in staff training): There was a guy in the Arrivals Hall awaiting his passengers. He was wearing a beanie, had long greasy hair, was unshaven and wearing a baggy jumper and baggie jeans round his knees with a key chain. On his nameboard he had the company name: 'Snowline VIP' God knows what his customers thought. rolling eyes

well, that's it for this afternoon. Home time beckons.

Andrew
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roy Hockley, thanks for that. I've been nothing but honest in my CV and I hope that it doesn't appear any different to that. I'm taken aback by the impression people have got that I am on the defensive as I genuinely didn't intend to 'snap' at anyone.

Admittedly, I find it slightly disrespectful that a company representative refuses to acknowledge the receipt of someone's tailored job application and that has irked me but I feel a couple of respondents misinterpreted what I was saying in my posts, beginning with jbob thinking I intended to use questions as a means of securing the job and then continuing with cathy's post which I now, regrettably, read differently to when I first came across it. So for my ill-advised response to cathy, I am truly sorry.
snow report
Maggi, Maggi, Maggi. Let's face it: If you can't be arsed to fill in the company's 'long winded form' then why should they be arsed to employ and pay you? I certainly wouldn't. And you're the one that want's the job. I'm the person with the chequebook. Madeye-Smiley

Now, that really is it. Hometime.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Cheers.

Andrew
snow conditions
Chamexpress, she indicated that she had completed the application form though she found it tedious. I'm sure your comment was intended flippantly and in jest but it is unfortunately the way many employers treat applicants, foregoing decency and respect in favour of an attitude along the lines of, "it's my business, I'll do what I want". We're all humans after all, a little respect is always appreciated.

Oh, and I've PMed you Chamexpress, offering up a fuller explanation of my position. Confused
snow report
Astraeus, If you work for him you get to sit on this Laughing

snow report
Chamexpress wrote:
Maggi, Maggi, Maggi. Let's face it: If you can't be arsed to fill in the company's 'long winded form' then why should they be arsed to employ and pay you?

Wrong question. Read my post. They should be arsed to e-mail a one sentence reply saying that I haven't been chosen for interview instead of leaving me thinking I'm still in there.

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't.

Then again, I might turn you down too! NehNeh

Quote:
And you're the one that want's the job.

Not necessarily. I won't know until the interview. It's a two way process, you know.

Quote:
I'm the person with the chequebook. Madeye-Smiley

I have one too. I also have the use of my husband's. Little Angel

Quote:
Now, that really is it. Hometime.
Have a good weekend everyone.

I will!
Laughing
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, I'm going to ignore the upstanding thumb and assume you meant the vehicle against which he is leaning. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Astraeus, in your case it looks like you're outa luck with the vehicle. Start your own transfer service. What could possibly go wrong?
snow report
been too busy getting Take That tickets to play on here today

Astraeus, Personally I like candidates that can smile - that will be very important in a customer focused role. Many interviewers will ask you lots of questions to back up your CV (to make sure you were telling the truth) so make sure you know it inside out. Should have told you this earlier but it's also a good idea to keep photocopies of application forms to refresh your memory before the interview. Agree with Chamexpress's seven points.

The reason I thought it would be a good idea to post on here was to get some idea on the more vocationally aimed questions - the more technical/logistical side to the job. You're obviously young and with age comes wisdom so hopefully you will get some more helpful info on here over the next few days from the "older/wiser" SH.

I think a good trait in a person is not that he/she knows all the answers - it's that he/she KNOWS HOW to get the answers.
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, it's a telephone interview. Not really my ideal scenario as I enjoy the old "firm handshake, nice smile" approach and feel more comfortable talking in person than I do on the phone. I will still do my utmost to make it a success, of course.

Over on Natives there were a couple more pointers as to what job-specific questions might be posed and I like your parting sentence as it's part of the basis by which I sell myself - I can be flexible and pragmatic in coming up with solutions.

Beginning to feel the nerves now as there's so much riding on this. Fingers crossed for me! Cool
snow report
Astraeus, good luck! I wouldn't like a telephone interview as I am conscious of my "marmite" accent. Yes, like your location, it's Sowf Yorksha rolling eyes . I find that some people think friendly but others think thick as a plank. Maybe you don't have it though and have perfect RP. No body language to help you, though. Fingers crossed anyway! snowHead
ski holidays
Astraeus, So when do we get to hear who it is with? Puzzled
snow conditions
scootsman1, when I get it. Smile

Regardless of how it all ends up, I'll let you all know.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy