Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to resort - question

Poster: A snowHead
Driving from Calais to Chatel takes approx 8 hrs according to google maps - it includes driving through Switzerland, does anyone know if I will need to obtain one of those permits? Thanks in advance for any advice/knowledge Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sprinkles, lots of advice on Swiss vignettes if you do a search!

Basically if you are using the Swiss motorway network you should get one but can do this at a border crossing, they are not expensive (less than 20 quid I think?) but sometimes you can sneak through without, although this probably means you could get pulled over and fined!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you use the motorways (e.g. the A1 & A9) in Switzerland you will - it costs 40 CHF for the year (well technically 1st Dec 2010 to 31st Jan 2012) and you can buy one at the customs post as you enter Switzerland or at almost every garage. They will stop you if you don't already have one, unless you're a bit naughty and enter at a quiet unmanned post and try and get by without being noticed (a risky strategy as there are the odd spot checks).

You can avoid the motorways but it will add a lot of time to your journey around Lake Geneva

40 CHF isn't bad, but maybe you can stick to France and avoid Switzerland, but then of course you'll pay a few autoroute tolls so the saving will be minimal.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need a permit (vignette) if you use the motorways. If you stick to A road equivalents you can avoid buying it, but obviously it's slower and navigationally more challenging. The Google route takes you over the Jura. I like that way, but if it's snowing or has just snowed it can be slow. You can avoid Switzerland altogether by going past Bourg en Bresse, which adds just over half an hour. My Google maps suggest going through Paris for that, which I wouldn't do, just keep going down the A39. Someone with greater knowledge than me will no doubt post soon, but you do have choices.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't recommend driving on Swiss motorways without one. Some years ago we had been unable to obtain one at the border crossing and were approached by the police when we stopped at the next available services and asked why we didn't have one. They were polite enough when we explained but watched us very closely to make sure we did, in fact, buy one! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd be dubious about the Jura route, too, if the weather is at all dodgy. It's shorter, and very pretty (I drove it just two days ago) but Bourg-en-Bresse/A40 would be a good alternative if the weather is nasty. If you drive on the motorway without a vignette you risk a very big fine.

Definitely don't go anywhere near Paris.

The journey from Calais will probably take a good 10 hours, even with minimal stops. More if it's wet (and the speed limit therefore lower) or if you hit traffic. It took us a full hour to get the few miles through Reims on Tuesday; masses of road works and the worst jams I've seen there, though the rest of the route was a breeze. If it's a busy transfer day that will also slow you down in the latter stages of the journey.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frankly, if you have a satnav and aren't in a hurry, it's less hassle to forego the vignette. Then again, if it's no hassle to get the vignette, might as well get it and then you don't have to mess about avoiding the motorway.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sprinkles, I wouldn't recommend the Swiss route, at Dijon take the A39 towards Bourg en Bresse, then A40 towards Annemasse where you come off an head for Tholon les bain, then Chatel. Aspam w, said its less of a risk in the winter
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's cheaper to order your Vignette on-line than wait untill you get to the border. Mine was delivered in about a week from ordering.

adrian
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would say it depends on the route you choose.

Chatel is actually the French side of Porte du Soleil so in theory you don't need to get into Swiss side when driving. The vignettes is only required if you drive on a Swiss motorway. The border patrol will stick one on your screen if you haven't got one. You can cross a Swiss border (on motorway) without a passport but they always check the vignettes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sprinkles, If you do decide to go via Switzerland, I'd suggest you get a vignette before you travel. When you get to the border, every vehicle is checked for a vignette. If you haven't got one you will be delayed while you go to the office and buy one. A peak time the queues can be large.

The Bourg en Bresse \ A40 route is a better option, IMHO. Definately avoiding Paris though! I would allow 10 hours for the journey.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks so much for all your replies, really appreciate the route tips too . We've never driven down before, so should be an experience!! snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sprinkles, Stick to the French autoroutes, Calais to Annemasse via Reims. then take the road to Thonon and then up the valley to Chatel. The Swiss route is feasible,shorter and more scenic but subject to the weather. Paying for the vignette costs about the same as the money you save on the autoroute tolls for a single trip, for multiple trips it will save you money
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

When you get to the border, every vehicle is checked for a vignette.

only true if you cross on a motorway. If you come down over the Jura you're quite likely to go through a border post with no living being in evidence at all, let alone one looking for your vignette. I still wouldn't drive on the Swiss motorways without one, though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, I understand that vignettes are ONLY required for the Swiss motorway, and not required on other roads at all.
latest report
crosbie, that's right.
snow report
Quote:

sprinkles, Stick to the French autoroutes, Calais to Annemasse via Reims. then take the road to Thonon and then up the valley to Chatel.

Agree with that route. No need to touch the Swiss motorways.
ski holidays
You could even go via Morzine.
ski holidays
If you do go the Swiss route you can buy your vignette online in the UK here - http://rail.myswitzerland.com/produkttexte.php?passid=5. It should arrive on your doorstep in a couple of days.
ski holidays
Now a friend of mine got an unused one from here - http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1311&_nkw=swiss+vignette&_sacat=See-All-Categories - as they run out at the end of Jan they are pretty cheap at this time of year - I was told that they were non transferable, but as you don't have to put in a reg no when you apply for them I am not sure how that works.
snow conditions
Oh and personally I would agree with BergenBergens route as well - we are off to Chatel in February - although flying this time
ski holidays
skimark, normally the nontransferability (?) is due to them being near impossible to remove without it falling apart (they're perforated)
snow report
pam w, I got stopped at that border point on the way home after last season. You can get them at the BP garage on the Swiss side of the boarder where you can also fill up with significantly cheaper fuel than you'll find in France.
ski holidays
They are not transferable as they cannot be removed without destroying them.
ski holidays
Quote:

and if you are stopped by the swiss police it's no use having one in your handbag - they are supposed to be stuck to the screen.
latest report
welshskier wrote:

That's the official line. But if you are careful.....
snow report
Get some photcopier transparencies, stick vignette to the transparency. Carefully cut around the vignette. Apply thin film of vaseline to the side of the film opposite the vignette. Apply to windscreen removing any air bubbles. Wipe excess vaseline off. Very Happy
snow conditions
If you want to follow BergenBergen's advice don't buy your vignette at the border as they tend to stick them on your screen themselves. Cross at an unmanned crossing and buy one at a garage, or online in advance.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having driven via Switzerland and also not, on various occasions, I would say that assuming decent weather and not hitting Geneva at rush hour, the reason I go over the Jura is to have a break from M'way driving and to save £30-£40 in the process. So when going through Geneva I just head down for a nice view of the lake and don't have to blow the savings on a vignette.
snow report
I agree totally with P10DW about the Jura, but as I said in a previous post it can be very slow in the winter. If snow is not forecast and has not recently fallen then it may be OK.
snow report
Please excuse me if I'm being a little dim, but where/what is the Jura?
snow report
Quote:

but where/what is the Jura?

A range of (not terribly high but they do have some ski resorts) mountains. If you take a more or less straight line from Dole to Geneva (as opposed to carrying on south and turning left after Bourg en Bresse) you drive across the Jura. So it's the shortest, but not necessarily quickest, route. A good route in decent weather, and a break from the autoroute, but not necessarily so good in bad weather, the dark, etc etc.
snow report
Thanks Pam W, booked 1st week in Feb so hopefully incredibly snowy....... Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy