Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine UCPA 22 - 29th January.

Poster: A snowHead
We're heading to the UCPA in Flaine in January and looking for some other folks to join us! If you've not heard of UCPA before take a look at website: - http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/
Quite possibly the cheapest way to have a ski/snowboarding holiday as long as you don't mind sharing a room Happy

So far I believe there's 4 of us going, 2 lads, 2 girls ranging from early 30's to early 40's. We all met at the Chamonix UCPA last year. We're all pretty social and enjoy the apres ski scene. There's skiers and boarders amongst us.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Rachel - I may well be interested! Is there anyway you can come to the meet-up next Weds (see my post) so we can all meet and see how we feel about holidaying together?

Natalie x
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Natalie...I'm afraid I can't come down to London as luve in Derby so would be a wee way for me! However one of the people does live in London, so will mention it to her and see if she is able to pop down.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rachel78, if you've not already got it, try using the discount code SP2010 when you book your trip through Action Outdoors - and share it with anyone else that is going. You'll all get £10 off the listed price.... think of it as having a couple of free beers from your friends at Snowheads snowHead

SareP
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sarep - Thanks for that. Have already booked but had seen the code mentioned previously on other posts so did get my £10 discount. Every little counts. May be enough to buy a pint out in Flaine!?...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hello all, have now put this weekend up on powderjunkies also :- http://www.meetup.com/Powder-Junkies/calendar/15339517/?from=list&offset=0

Anyone interested???
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry...week rather than weekend Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rachel - I'm almost certainly in, just gotta persuade my friend (another Rachel!) to come too Happy

Powder Junkies are gonna have another meet-up in London, might any of your crew be able to join us? Not sure which day yet but if you let us know which part of London is easiest for her/him to get to, we can try to schedule it around that. Would be great to meet up with you guys and get to know you before Jan!

BTW - the meet-up will be open to EVERYONE, just sign up to powder junkies (http://www.meetup.com/Powder-Junkies) to keep notified of the date!

Happy planning all Happy
Natalie
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Natalie - Brilliant Happy
I have also persuaded a friend to come after coming to Tamworth snowdome last night - she's hooked again now!

Will find out where in London would be best - am unsure where she lives. Will get back to you.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is it OK to be over 40 or do you lie about your age!? I am 49!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wantingacollie,
Quote:

Having read all the recommendations for UCPA on here and looking at Action Outdoors website I was blown away by how cheap their off-piste courses are, but was crushed to discover they have an upper age limit or 39. (I'm 46)

However, having spoken to those lovely people at Action Outdoors it turns out that the upper age limit is only a guide to put off old fuddy duddys who would just be complaining about all the drunken mullarkies and general youth hostel type vibe.

I hope that answers your query. I'm booked up now (Argentiere) so it is all fine, you just have to enter a false date of birth if booking online but then phone to confirm your real date of birth. Speaking to other "mature" skiers it does help if you have a younger outlook and are happy to get stuck in. Obviously you need to clear it with Rachel 78 before you tag along, I have nothing to do with this trip.
Andy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Andy
Thanks for the info. 'Younger outlook' not a problem. I will have a chat with Action Outdoors before hassling Rachel78. The prices are definitely encouraging and having stayed with fuaj in France this sort of formula works pretty well for me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wantingacollie -
No problem..I do not feel hassled!! wink
I first went on a UCPA week last year with a company called Adventura (who are now bust and used to put a ridiculous mark up on their holidays..pah!). However on that week we had at least a couple of people in their 50's.
Of the 4 of us booked to go so far, 2 are in their early 40's also and had no problem when they went earlier this year to the Chamonix UCPA. No-one is asked for ID. Think as Andy said, as long as you don't mind the Youth hostel vibe (the Swedes and French can put us to shame when it comes to a drink in the evenings!), then all is fine. Happy
Tempted?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WIth UCPA, no need to lie about your age, whether booking on-line or not. The booking didn't bounce when I put in my date of birth. Action Outdoors do suggest you contact them before hand just to confirm - they siimply advise the centre management in advance.

From all the posts on UCPA, I reckon there are more over 40s than undr 40's !! We're taking over........40 is the new 30 !
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 16-11-10 0:32; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Rachel78
Definitely tempted but need a couple of days to get a grip on work issues before I can commit. I'll keep practising on the evening drink front just so that I can keep up with our European colleagues. Thanks for the input from damobloke and dorset andy.
Ta
snow report
Hi,

I'm interested as well, (42) was at Flaine last year off piste and it was amazing, best ski holiday I've had. The night life isn't great, but the skiing made up for it.

I have to check finances but hope to be booking soon.

I'm based in London. How is everyone getting out, Coach or Flight?

Ziggy
ski holidays
Not going on the Jan trip but have booked UCPA in Flaine for 5th March if anyone else is going ?
snow report

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 18-11-10 21:42; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Hi Ziggy, - Yeah I've been to Flaine before and really liked it (apart from the dodgy architecture!). The nightlife wasn't so bad..we spent most of our time at the White Pun during happy hour if I remember!..and isn't there some interesting pub at the top of the hill frequented by the Scandinavians?

All of us booked so far have booked flights. However I have been on the coach before and it's not so bad. Think the idea is to rendevous in Flaine as we are flying from different airports anyway (East Midlands, Gatwick and Stanstead I think!).

Do you want to look on the powder junkies link as mentioned previously? There's some more info on that site Happy

DAMOBLOKE! - Hey!! You trying to nab people onto your trip eh?? Start your own post!! wink
ski holidays
Yeah, I know the bar with Scando's, it was heaving and everyone was having a damm good time. I think they like to take advantage fully of (for them) cheaper booze.

I'll check out the thread,

hopefully see you out there.

Ziggy
snow report
Hey guys! I'm going to Flaine on the 15th through to the 29th January. I'm doing the first week on my own (Off-Piste Instruction Course) then I have a group of work mates coming on the 22nd to meet me. There will be 6 of us in total - we should def meet up and have a few drinks all together! Very Happy
snow conditions
Ziggy - Great. Let me know if you book Happy

JohnBoy85 - Hey..6 of you booked eh? Yes definately up for meeting for some drinks! Where are you all staying...are you at the UCPA?? What level skiing / boarding are you all?
snow report
Hey JohnBoy85 - its likely I'm coming 22-29 Jan too (with Rachel78), would be great to meet up if you guys are in same (UPCA) accom Happy
snow report
Hey Rachel! Yes we are staying at the UCPA - Just booked it today, excited!! We are a very mixed group in every sense. We range from 25 (me) to 40 years young. We have 4 guys and 2 girls and we are all skiers. In terms of abilities, one of the girls is just making parallel turns on blues. Most people are decent intermediates. I am at the point where I am confident on piste and want to begin exploring off-piste (hence I have booked the Off-Piste course for the week before). How about you guys?

Namford - Yep we are in the UCPA accommodation so we should def meet up! Smile

Btw, if anyone is considering the week beginning 15th January instead of or in addition to the 22nd please let me know as I will be there both weeks!
ski holidays
Hi John - Ah great..you're at the UCPA too. Are you at the Lindars one? I think everyone but one booked or potentially booking is somewhere between basic to strong intermediates. There's one guy just booked who's a beginner boarder. It would seem we're now a group of 5, with 3 other strong possibilities of bookings so looks like we'll be quite a possy!! Will have to get your details closer the time so we can arrange to meet up for drinks / skiing Happy
latest report
Hey Rachel, yep were at the Lindars place so sounds like we will be in the same accommodation. Would be great to get together for some drinks and skiing so def lets exchange contact details. As I mentioned I'll be there the week before so hopefully will get a chance to scope out the good places to ski and apres ski. Look forward to meeting you guys! Smile
snow conditions
Nice one, John! Sounds great!! We've linked the trip me and Rachel78 are going on into a meet-up group to allow others to join....obviously, you ar already booked, but you wanna start getting to know us all now, feel free to join the group - we have meet-ups every couple of weeks, so people can say hi!

http://www.meetup.com/Powder-Junkies/

See you end of Jan!

Natalie x

P.S. I'm an (goodish) intermediate skier too, so hopefully we'll all end up skiing together!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
John, I've just checked the site and the course I was wanting to do has been booked up. Looks like I'll have to go a week earlier so I'll be around. I wanted to do the off piste instruction course.

Rachel, Sorry doesn't look like I'll be able to do that week now. Sad
ski holidays
zigster68, Yeah I went for the 15th for the same reason, I wanted to do the off-piste and the 22nd was already booked up so I decided to do both weeks. We will have to meet up for a drink! Smile Maybe we will end up skiing together too if were doing the same course, although I am a beginner off-piste so if you have done much off-piste before I would guess you will probably be in a more advanced group.
latest report
Johnboy85, We just had a John join PJ's and RSVP to the 22-29 Jan trip with 4 friends...is that you? Happy
snow report
zigster68, Johnboy85, you should call action-outdoors to see if they can chat to the centre. They'll frequently run another group if there's enough demand for a particular course. I fortunately managed to move from the on-piste instruction to off-piste guiding last year after a cock-up in my booking through action-outdoors and they had loads of places free once I got to resort.
snow conditions
namford, yep thats me on PJ! I'm doing both weeks and have 4 work mates coming on the 22nd Smile Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Hi Sideshow_Bob, I rang AO and they confirmed that the week commencing 22nd was definitely full for the off-piste course. However they also mentioned that at least one place normally becomes available during the week as people get re-shuffled. In the end I decided to just book both weeks - I must be a sales persons dream! I figure this way I'm guaranteed to get on the course I want in the first week then will be free to ski with my work friends (and hopefully some SnowHeads) in the second week Smile
snow conditions
Fantastic - including you guys, there are now about 12 of us going that week! Can't wait!!! Happy
snow conditions
Johnboy, I don't know about being in a more advance group i'm hopeless! I did a week last year and by the end of the course I was turning at will in very deep powder but I wasn't doing those effortless short turns the advanced groups were doing.
snow report
Johnboy, Hey glad you've made it onto PJ's..that's quite an impressive picture you have! Have you lost one of your group??

Just to let everyone know, there would seem to be a good 13 people booked on this week now (22nd - 29th Jan), some small groups and some individual people too. The more the merrier and there are still places left for the week!

Will work out a time and place nearer the time, for people to meet up for some drinks on the Sat night Very Happy
snow report
Hey Rachel, yeah unfortunately one of our guys had to pull out so it's just going to be 5 of us now - 2 girls and 3 guys. We're all booked up so we will definitely be there! It's possible another friend may end up joining too so we could be back up to 6 in total. Looks like there is plenty of interest on PJ, it's going to be quite a group Smile

Def be good to meet for drinks on the Saturday. I might also try and pop along to say hello at the PJ meet if I'm in London Smile
snow conditions
Just checked and we are in Lindars accom too Happy

John - we will organise another meet on PJs in a week or two (all the organisers are currently swamped at work!) - is there a particular week you will be in London?
snow conditions
namford, I'm generally not in London during the week but often come down for the weekend. That said I think I'm busy for the next 3 weekends but if your meeting on a weekend later in December then I'll try and come along Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy