Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

butchering ski boots - how much flex change?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
CEM, Not once???
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CEM wrote:
back to the original point, if i was to soften a boot i don't want to be cutting a V in the back of it...even if salomon give nice dotted lines...that rear section of the cuff is a leaf spring, it gives the boot rebound, to soten a boot (if it needs to be softened) we cut down the sides of the clog and remove material from the lower front straps of the cuff, depending on how much difference we want to make

i should add that if a boot is cut in this way the edges of the cuts need to be smoothed out to get rid of any overcutting which could cause a split in the shell

all these people out there with dead salomon X waves as the carbon (sorry looky like carbon) bar had been cut should be able to testify that that was a rebound device not a stiffener

Well said that man, i have seen far to many cowboy attempts at flex reduction by cutting away deep V's in the rear clog, if peeps want boots with the life of a damp lettuce then this is a great way of geting it. The only correct way of acheiving this is as Colin says to grind down the clog sides and the front straps, depending on the desired result 5mm right round is a good starting point, the finish applied to the grind/cut is also an important factor.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
keithski wrote:
The only correct way of acheiving this is as Colin says to grind down the clog sides and the front straps, depending on the desired result 5mm right round is a good starting point, the finish applied to the grind/cut is also an important factor.

by finish (to the front straps), do you just mean a smooth finish and no square edges that could catch / deform

or to avoid any bumps that might focus the force onto a too-small area of the shell - ie pressure points ?

G.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM wrote:
back to the original point, if i was to soften a boot i don't want to be cutting a V in the back of it...even if salomon give nice dotted lines...that rear section of the cuff is a leaf spring, it gives the boot rebound, to soten a boot (if it needs to be softened) we cut down the sides of the clog and remove material from the lower front straps of the cuff, depending on how much difference we want to make

resurrection time - I really like the fit of these boots, so still trying to make them work. Skied on them 4 weeks last winter after the sides were cut into. In warm temps they are now good, but anything else they are really reactive to the temperature and still set like concrete in proper cold. Sadly i dont live anywhere near Bicester (north scotland), or Id be coming in to get CEM to sort them (assuming they are sort-able). The shop where i got it are pretty clueless, so I am resorting to getting info then telling them what to do, so please bear with me.

The shop sugegsted cutting the back then giving me bolts to put back in when it gets warmer - but presumably that would screw the rebound as much as just cutting?

CEMs suggestion of cut sides (done), but Im not wuite getting the bit about "remove material from the lower front straps of the cuff." Either side of the front gap between the 2 sides of the cut there are now 2 standing up projections of ther clog - where would the material be removed from? Top? or sides so effcetively widening the side Vs towards the front?

thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bump
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
are you really suggesting your boot flex is massively changed by how cold it is????
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My Salomon Falcons are noticably more flexy in warm weather - I'm talking proper spring sunshine and slush warm, mind you, not just a couple of degrees. Transparent plastic is still much more temperature sensitive than opaque, it seems.

Between myself and CEM my boots have had about 5mm dremel-ed off the bottom of the cuff which has really increased the flex. Basically if you undo the lower cuff buckle and pull the overlaps away you'll see they form a curved shape that folows the top of the clog - that's the line that's been raised.

The flex was a by-product, mind you, the idea was to reduce a line of uncomfortable pressure - I suppose your risk is that if you take this off you might get more room in front of/above the heel.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:
are you really suggesting your boot flex is massively changed by how cold it is????

yes, honestly its like setting concrete in proper cold. I undid the top bucles at lunch one day (so actually inside a mountain restaurant) and it took 2 of us to bend the wings enough to engage the clips again after. Id be sceptical if i hadnt experienced it too - youd think rather than researching the latest colours, they could sort of plastic stiffness consistency which is a bit more fundamental Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cunners wrote:
My Salomon Falcons are noticably more flexy in warm weather - I'm talking proper spring sunshine and slush warm, mind you, not just a couple of degrees. Transparent plastic is still much more temperature sensitive than opaque, it seems.

Between myself and CEM my boots have had about 5mm dremel-ed off the bottom of the cuff which has really increased the flex. Basically if you undo the lower cuff buckle and pull the overlaps away you'll see they form a curved shape that folows the top of the clog - that's the line that's been raised.

The flex was a by-product, mind you, the idea was to reduce a line of uncomfortable pressure - I suppose your risk is that if you take this off you might get more room in front of/above the heel.

Yeah, mine are that transparent stuff are your Falcons? Im not quite visualising your description and as I will need to explain it in 1 syllable words to the boot guys ... - dya mean a whole 5mm off the whole of the top of the bottom cuff, or something else?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bitoffluff, http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/snowheads-personal-galleries/p24848-top.html

Now with added pictures. If you look at the bottom edge of the cuff lower buckle (silver), you'll see that it goes right up to the edge of the plastic, rather than stopping a few mm short, as it did out of the box - it used to look more like the top edge. Using a dremel I've taken most of the curved lower edge of the wraparound up a similar amount, gently fading it back into the original shape as it reaches the hinge. The white graph paper pattern was very useful. I've also radiused it off on both the inner and outer faces so it slides smoothly over the rest of the boot.

This has softened the flex a fair bit without killing the rebound but, as I say, this is a side-effect and not really a desired one. The intention was to stop that edge guillotining into a pronounced tendon I've got. It may be that this is a terrible way of getting more flex and the last thing you should ever do to a boot, but these things work brilliantly, are now super comfy, albeit more flexible, and they haven't died yet.

I could probably have taken a bit less off but i got bored doing it little by little.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We had a guy in a 60 flex according to the brochure which just didn't at all, struggling to turn but it was all there, we suggested the bin, he turned up next in a Head race, can ski gates, it is knowing when to give up and move on.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cunners , is that the same as what CEM says above?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arrrrggghhhh please dont say that Colin uses a Dremmel, CEM uses a Suhner grinder which he polishes constantly and is his pride n Joy. Aint it Big Fella.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As usual CEM is bang on that you dont simply go cutting out V's from the back of the boot. Reducing clog height and feathering combined with front strap removal is the only real way of softening the flex without killing the rebound.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy