Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI 1 for youngsters

Poster: A snowHead
I know there are several on here whose children have achieved this at 16. My daughter is keen on doing this as soon as she is old enough (in just over a years time) and I'm doing a bit of planning ahead. She had a good workout with TDC this week and their view is that her skiing is up to it now. However looking at the course schedule on the BASI website there do not seem to be any courses (except super expensive gap courses) running anywhere, at any time, during school holidays. This is crucial obviously given that it will also be GCSE year. How did others get around this, is there a gap (pardon the pun) in the market? I'd be looking at early 2012 so plenty of time yet.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did Hemel run one in August this year? They seemed to be running most months between May-October.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, Would be good if they do, their schedule doesn't show that far ahead, perhaps that's why I can't find anything.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My Eldest is very keen to follow a similar path. so we would be interested in any info.

Maybe its time for BASI to have a youth scheme? something along the lines of/or working alongside the sports leader schemes running in many schools and to tie in with that qualification?

Beanie1 where are you?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, Here you go:

http://www.basi.org.uk/content/alpine-level-1-course.aspx

There are and will be courses running pretty much throughout the year.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 28-10-10 8:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think that they will schedule dates for next summer's courses until early next year. There were a lot of kids booked on to the July L1 course at Hemel, which I think took place after GCSE exams were completed. Most of the L1 courses at Hemel seemed to be fully booked, so don't leave it until the last minute if you are looking to get a place for your daughter.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
most of the trainers are in the alps for the winter so i would plan on a summer course and as others have said book early. all the basi courses i saw at hemel were full up..

Colin B, my daughter did hers just after the GCSE's along with around 30 others. a very very good summary for you and your daughter can be seen here...

http://www.planetski.eu/news/2045 scroll down to the middle of the page there are links to part 1 , 2 3 and they have some great interviews during an L1 course from both the trainer and the students viewpoint.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds as if it shouldn't be a problem then. Will just need to plan summer holidays around it for summer 2012 if there's nothing at Easter or Whitsun.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chill Factore had a level one course in mid July and early September this year. Can't see any dates on either the BASI or chill factore website for courses next year.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin B, as said by everyone above the best time for someone still at school to do their L1 would be in the summer hols in the UK. The problem with school holidays in the winter season is that they're peak season, so trainers (and candidates for higher level courses) will all want to be teaching elsewhere not running or taking courses.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colin B, just done (& passed Very Happy Very Happy ) my L1 this week at Tamworth & there were some school 6th formers on the course because it was half term week. Tamworth also had a course running in the summer holidays.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can take your instructor course at 16 but you can not teach until your 18 so you are spending money on courses and annual membership for 2 years. However you could do a Snowsports UK course and get your Club Instructor and ASSI in that time in preperation for doing your BASI Level 2 when you turn 18 as you can teach in a club environment from the age of 16. In the these preceeding 2 years you could get valuable instructor experience teaching and it would be cheaper.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Congrats blizt. It was a bit busy at Tamworth wasn't it? I was there for the Development Coach 1 (also passed!) Hope all of your crew got the nod.

Anyone know if basi allow under 18s to work on their ski school shadowing hours or do they have to wait until 18yo?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Super Eagle, are you sure about the fact that you cant teach with a basi L1 until your 18?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pfairbrother congrats to you too Very Happy Very Happy Most but not all of our group passed, not sure about the other L1 group.
Quote:

It was a bit busy at Tamworth wasn't it?

"bit" might be an understatement!! We were hoping your group's exercise of spinning round in pairs a pole's length apart would clear some space for us Twisted Evil
ski holidays
skimottaret,

Had a 17 year old shadow last week. Not allowed to teach until 18
snow report
Super Eagle wrote:
skimottaret,

Had a 17 year old shadow last week. Not allowed to teach until 18

Is that a BASI rule or a rule at your slope?
snow conditions
Super Eagle, but is that a BASI rule or one that your slope imposes?
ski holidays
rob@rar, snap
latest report
Where does it say they cannot teach until 18?

http://www.basi.org.uk/content/alpine-level-1.aspx

"Pre-requisites
The following pre-requisites must be met before attending an Alpine Level 1 Instructor course. Students must:

Complete the declaration on the booking form and return it to the BASI office.
Join BASI as an Associate Member.
Be 16yrs of age or older.
Outcome
Successful students will be issued a certification to work only on dry slopes or indoor snow slopes. Students will be able to work with novice and early intermediate skiers. Individuals who do not reach the required level may be required to resit all or part of the course."

As for fining a course; Talk to the local slopes. One of my Guys are Gosling who went thru our instructor training programme spoke to Hemel and they ran a second course last month because the demand was there!
latest report
It sounds as though there will be far more well qualified and keen kids wanting to instruct than there will be opportunities to do so.
snow report
I'll double check with the office but I'm pretty sure BASI's rules are that you must be 16 before you can teach with a L1 and 18 with a L2.
snow conditions
beanie1 wrote:
I'll double check with the office but I'm pretty sure BASI's rules are that you must be 16 before you can teach with a L1 and 18 with a L2.

Hi Beanie,

that's what I expect; B2 giving one the option to teach "away on snow"!
snow report
I have been looking to do my BASI 1 but have to do it in half term as well Sad Im planning to do it next season hopefully. Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy