Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UCPA trip in February

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

I've been looking for a way to squeeze in a week boarding this February and as I'm suffering from a lack of available friends to make it this year I thought I'd try one of the UCPA centres. (Cham,VT,Flaine,Val or Tignes)
Does anyone have an opinion of which resort centre would be best suited to a 39 year old who likes a bit of lively apres as well as good snow ?
If anyone else fancies it let me know.

Blush

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 28-10-10 11:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
recommend ucpa tignes, used to go twice a year before the little people came along
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm thinking of heading out to Tignes or Flaine UCPA for the week that's around the 19th Feb. Unfortunately has to be half term for me. Been to the Tignes UCPA a fair few times and really love the area, great skiing, some nice bars etc can be as lively as you want really but not too crazy. Going to the Flaine UCPA over New Year but never been before so if you're still looking then I'll report back!

Vicky
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi there,

Does it have to be Feb you go? There's a few of us going to Flaine UCPA but at the end of Jan instead - have just put up a post today about it if you're able to make your holiday any earlier??
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies.

Rachel78, That would have been great but I'm in Rekjavik that weekend. Boo hiss.

VWLP, Thanks for the info on Tignes, half term means childminding for me I'm afraid!! So I'm stuck with 5th,12th or 26th as dep dates.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
been to ucpe La Plagne and Flaine.

I preferred La Plagne as the rooms were bigger and had balcony. Flain diod not have a balcony to chill the beers.

Both good though and I would go again.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VladIII,

I've stayed in Val D, Tignes, Flaine and La Plagne and my friend has been to Cham a few times. I'm a skier myself but have heard that La Plagne isn't the best for boarders as there is quite a lot of flats around.

Val D'Isere is a great centre and had all their showers refurbed last year. It is just at the top of the old town, one bus stop pas the Moris Pub and you literally stumble out the door and onto the piste (just at the top of the nursery slope) in 2 minutes in the morning. The bar in the centre is lively and cheap, the food is great and the staff really helpful. I've always enjoyed trips there - mostly due to the skiing in Espace Killy and the apres in Val D which is up there witht he best (if you aren't too fussed about it being a very British resort). Rooms are functional with most sharing between 3 and 6 (some with balconies for beers!) and there is always loads of hot water.

Flaine is much quieter on the apres scene so evenings tend more to be based in the centre. The Lindars centre is an ex-club med so much more comfortable than other centres and the piste is just down the stairs - you can also ski back virtually to the locker room doors. Rooms are all twin or quad en-suite. The ski area is huge and there is plenty of scope for off-piste although you really must do this with a guide as there are many rock crevasses in the area. flaine is very popular with the french so be aware of French winter school holidays in Feb.

Tignes is pretty much as VWLP says. It is just about ski-inable and the ski-out is just across the road and carpark onto the rope drag in Val Claret. The main shopping / bars are just up the hill via a lift so very convenient.

I've not been to Chamonix which is right in the centre of town. The drag about that is that you have to get a bus to your chosen ski area every day. I've heard the centre is pretty decent though and the apres scene high up there on the lively stakes.

I hope this helps - as you might guess, I'm a Val D'Isere girl, but I would suggest go where you know the skiing will be good - you will always meet people to have beers with at the centres. And if you would like a beer or two on a fellow snowhead, save yourself £10 if you book through Action-Outdoors by using the discount code SP2010 and spend it on beers when you get there!.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks sarep . Loads to think about there. I did go to Chamonix several years ago as a complete beginner so my memories are a bit shall we say "bruise -y".
Flights to Geneva appear to be going up as the season approaches so time for a gamble and get them booked I think. rolling eyes

Cheers everyone for the advice.

Paul.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VladIII, my daughter and BF went to Flaine at half term (both teachers, no choice). they thought the UCPA was great, and lifts were fine (it's a good system) but they found the pistes very busy, as they will be throughout the French 4 weeks of school hols. Are those the only possible weeks for you?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi pam w, Early December or February are my only chances this season. How I wish my non skiing family were more flexible ..sigh....!
I've never been away in early Dec before, always thought it was too risky to book in advance. I thought I might keep a long weekend free and go where the snow is.
Is is french hols in early Feb ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VladIII, 12 Feb to 13 March.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks pam w, Feb 5th it is then......
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks to everyone for the info.
My trip is now booked for the week 5-12th Feb at Val D'Isere with UCPA. The clincher was the availability of full time lessons.
£800 inc flights + transfers. Can't bloomin wait..... Very Happy
Hope to meet some of you fellow snowheads whilst I'm there !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy