Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

oo er just booked a ski holiday.....

Poster: A snowHead
and needed to shout about it....

Completely unplanned....but surfing the net in my coffee break I came across an irresistible deal from Rocket Ski.....so I booked it. Now feeling slightly nervous as I haven't told the OH or the kids...

But £1021. for flights & half board leaving Dec 20th to Les Deux Alpes - am I mad or was I right to book? Don't usually book holidays without research first and now feeling slightly foolish (& very, very excited).

What say the panel?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is that per person or including the kids and OH? If just one person it had better be the Ritz, Les Deux Alpes...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Monium wrote:
Is that per person or including the kids and OH? If just one person it had better be the Ritz, Les Deux Alpes...

oh crikes....then I'd have really cocked up!

It is indeed for all 4 of us. I'm now beginning to wonder what the catch is....and looking at SCGB resort report makes me think it might not be such a good choice for a family
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds good to me as it is (I presume) for a week and over Christmas. Is it their Club Hotel?#

Let us know what it is like. This year I am taking my daughter out of school, but future years, we will need to go School holidays or not at all. Normal prices it will be not at all, but that deal sounds do-able.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowlamb, sounds terrific. And you can be sure there'll be snow up there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowlamb,
Quote:

It is indeed for all 4 of us

FFS Shocked I'm paying that for 4 flights alone from Edinburgh to Innsbruck in low season. Enjoy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowlamb, for four seems good to me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NickyJ wrote:
Sounds good to me as it is (I presume) for a week and over Christmas. Is it their Club Hotel?#

Let us know what it is like. This year I am taking my daughter out of school, but future years, we will need to go School holidays or not at all. Normal prices it will be not at all, but that deal sounds do-able.

I understand your sentiment and if it weren't for our schools inexplicable policy of putting the year 9s in for GCSE's 2 years early we wouldn't be going at Christmas either but when your 13 year old looks at you and says in all seriousness that she'll forgo the usual January ski and stay with Nana so that she won't fall behind with her work....well it would take a harder parent than I to completely disregard that.

Yes it's for the week over Christmas and it is in one of their club hotels. We've travelled with Rocket before and found them to be very good, cheap and cheerful but absolutely fine.

I was more interested in hearing what people thought of the resort and its suitability for a family. We're all reasonable skiers. Kids & OH can ski anything with style and confidence, I am somewhat more cautious following a serious knee injury but that's ok...they just wait for me at the bottom.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowlamb, I'd say it's a really good choice for Christmas, when many of the lower resorts can have pretty poor snow. You can always get up higher, if that's the case, and download in a lift. The town is lively and busy. Not a byword for Alpine charm, but who cares?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Snowlamb, when the girls are older I will be checking them out (my daughters are 1 and 4 at the moment). What have you done to your knee? I had a tear in my meniscus, and the damage removed on 7th Oct, I am currently praying that I will be fit for our holiday on the 12th Dec.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmm, seems a cheap website £289 from Manchester to a 2* club hotel in Les Deux Alpes with the same company....must resist..........
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowlamb wrote:
your 13 year old

remember what day it is Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zwee wrote:
snowlamb wrote:
your 13 year old

remember what day it is Wink

Ahh but she was 13 when she said it!

Can't believe those 14 years have gone so quickly. How scary is that?

Looking forward to seeing you on Sat.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just checked and still available from manc or gatwick for £289 HB over christmas........................... Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
Hmm, seems a cheap website £289 from Manchester to a 2* club hotel in Les Deux Alpes with the same company....must resist..........

Go on....you know you want to....

They're holding this price till Friday lunch time...but the bookings girl said that at the rate they're selling today there'll not be much left by Friday (of course that could just be spin to make me bite....but that would be cynical).
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:

Snap......................

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g196707-d1657398-r59038240-Clubhotel_Provencal-Les_Deux_Alpes_Isere_Rhone_Alpes.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT
snow report
I'm sure you will have a fantastic time!
ski holidays
I used rocket ski in march for a quick holiday for 4 lads. was very cheap, but turned out to be a surprisingly good service, not a bad hotel (basic, but with good food) and a great week skiing! I would definitely use them again if I could get a similar deal
ski holidays
Excellent resort for the family. Been three times.
ski holidays
Quote:

Yes it's for the week over Christmas and it is in one of their club hotels.

Oh God - you're not in the 'Amethyste' are you? Skullie
latest report
red 27 wrote:
Quote:

Yes it's for the week over Christmas and it is in one of their club hotels.

Oh God - you're not in the 'Amethyste' are you? Skullie

No, the 'Provencal'....& I'm not sure I'm ready to hear any dire stories about it.

Although, as long as it's dry & warm with somewhere to lie down I'm not sure much else matters as there will be snow.

& as a big plus we don't have to spend endless bank holidays with the mad relations.
ski holidays
red 27, there's nothing significantly wrong with Les Amethystes, don't be such a roaring snob.

snowlamb, Provençal is five mins walk to the Diable lift, 10 mins to beginner lift at Vikings. There's a bus stop right outside the hotel if you want to go further and can't be bothered to walk. Popular bars are within five to 10 mins walk, wide choice of restaurants etc nearby. Hotel itself is comfortable enough, reasonable sized rooms, warm enough, lots hot water, usual stuff. Can't vouch for management/staff/chef, don't know who it's likely to be these days. Rocket's food is rather cheapo stuff, but it's usually edible enough.
snow report
Lizzard, The food was certainly very wrong. Whether it was bad enough to be classed as significantly so is subjective.

Thanks for calling me a snob, I'd be worried if you thought otherwise NehNeh
snow conditions
We will see you there Snowlamb! Too good a deal to resist if you ask me. We went to Serre with Rocket last year and I would use them over Crystal any time!

I've pmed you!
snow conditions
snowlamb, If the Provençal is consistent with my experience at the Les Amethystes from a few years ago then expect what is imo reasonable food. If your minimum standard at home is Waitrose or Marks and Sparks for food then you may have booked the wrong place for the standard you're accustomed to.
snow report
Quote:

If your minimum standard at home is Waitrose or Marks and Sparks

Laughing Marks and Sparks is for when you're too bone idle to cook anything decent. A really good home made cottage pie and an assortment of freshly cooked vegetables (which is what I'm doing tonight) is better than anything in M & S.

As for Waitrose, it's my usual supermarket, but that doesn't mean I can't do some fairly nasty things with the food they sell there. It's not about where you shop.

Apart from one time when we went with no kids on a last minute deal, we always went to ordinary sort of chalets where the food could be described as "decent home cooking". It was more than adequate, and good value. My son has spent a couple of seasons cooking very upmarket food in individual private chalets. That's "fine dining", I suppose (and he was congratulated on its quality by the Parisian banker who was one of his main clients and invited by one of his Russian guests to cook in their villa in Sardinia last summer). He was also paid a good salary on top of all the usual perks (excellent quality accommodation, lift pass etc). The problems sometimes arise, I suspect, in places which aspire to some sort of fancy food but lack the budget to make it work and employ inexperienced staff on a pittance. Never in a million years could I afford to stay in the sort of places my son cooked in, nor do that sort of food myself.
snow conditions
I found the food at the Rocketski property in Serre last year perfectly adequate. The choice, including veggie, was fine and the food hot and plentiful. As long as we are able to refuel after a busy day what more do you need.

I once took a school party skiing in Fopolo where they put out the day before's uneaten rolls! We had our suspicions, so we marked the bottoms with a cross!! NehNeh

Anyway, I have just asked Rocket to refund what I paid for lift passes as Snowlamb steered me towards the family pass. Rocket said that they were unable to get these passes, but have refunded the difference as a gesture of goodwill. Now that is customer service!! Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Now that is customer service!! Very Happy

What, the fact that they'll keep quiet and sell you the regular passes given half a chance? They know very well there's a family rate available in resort.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, Laughing more like "It's a fair cop" then.
snow conditions
We fly out on 21st Dec, wish we'd have paid only £1,021 for 3 of us! (I think we're staying in La Brunerie, no idea what it's like).

I must be really unfussy, as long as a place has a bed, somewhere to hang my jacket and serves food that's edible I'm happy.
latest report
hammerite, Crystal seem to have stopped running the Brunerie themselves, so I predict that it will be an improvement on previous years. Lots of work going on in there at the moment, much binning of carpets and old furniture.
latest report
Thanks Lizzard, good to hear that the promised refurb is going ahead - we received a letter saying that things had changed hands - we were half expecting it to be like Fawlty Towers! Our package has changed a fair amount, for the better in our opinion and we got some money back some how.

That said I don't mind roughing it as long as the snow is good!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy