Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banana gate

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not a scandal involving tropical fruit (or are they herbs?) John Clark is forever going on about 'the banana gate' in slalom.

I'm assuming it's a gate that doesnt involve a change in direction (ie a right after another right) ...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
(.
.)
(.
.\ here's the banana Very Happy
./
(.
.)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, as far as I understand it it's the vertical combination of gates which, from our view is totally unfathomable but presumably from the skiers view in doable. Or maybe they are better than us Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If only JC drew it in ascii no one one be confused! Laughing
Great stuff gilo, now draw me "the money turn" Laughing
ps, If John is reading, which sadly I doubt, I love it Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
T-Dub wrote:
I'm assuming it's a gate that doesnt involve a change in direction (ie a right after another right) ...

For a GS that is correct.
Code:

/
 II     ( II
         \
    II    \ II
           \
            \
           II)     II
            /
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When they are set horizontally, they are called open gates, when there is one gate set vertically, it is called a "banana"

a description and schematic of all the gates http://everything2.com/title/Slalom ,
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scot_Ski, not quite. In that link the combinations drawn are sort of correct, but the descriptions are not (although what he shows as a verticale is more normally called a hairpin). What rjs has drawn above is the most common way a banana gate will be set, but as in that link it's possible to set using a vertical (aka closed) gate as well. T-Dub's description has the essence of it - two gates that form a single turn, generally wider and the rhythm slower than that of the surrounding gates.

In that link of Scot_Ski's there's also a bit of confusion regarding vertical gates. If there're two gates (both vertical or one vertical and one horizontal), such that the path involves two turns (i.e. you come out in the same direction you went in) the combination is called a "hairpin". Both the banana and the hairpin cause you to travel across the hill more than you would in a normal gate, but achieve that in rather different ways. FYI: if there are three gates (one of the end ones is sometimes set horizontally), so you come out the opposite direction you went in having made three quick turns, it's then normally called a "verticale" or "flush".

The following diagrams show these, including the following gate (to define the exit direction): R and B show red and Blue poles, the B(R)1 show the normal positions of the non-turning pole of the last gate in the combination, B(R)2 show the alternative placement (you can also do something similar with the entry gate).

Code:

Hairpin                        Banana
       .                                 .
         .                            .
         R.                         .
         .                   R     . R
        .                           .
        .R                           .
B2      .B                       B1     . B
          .                                .
              .                           B2     .
         B1     .                                  .
                 R.    R                           R.    R

Code:

Verticale/Flush
               .R
                R.
                B.
               .B
       R2      .R
                R1    .
                       B.       B

oops that went all to cock cf the preview - hang on a bit and I'll try again
That seems to work now (on my screen anyway). If it looks funny, check that the outer pole of the last gate in the banana diagram is not wordwrapped
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hahaaaa, glad you're all having fun avec 'le banane' or is it 'La Banane'......... GrahamN (Not THE GrahamN Shurely???) you have it pretty well spot on with your diagrams although no-one has set your B2/R2 Flush/Hairpins since I used to race! (Shortly after they stopped using red, blue, Yellow gates!

The idea with all of these 'Combinations' is to change the rythm of the course or the pattern of turns the racer has to make thereby adding what I call an 'extra tactical element to the challenge'. The racer has to adjust the line by modifying the timing of his movements and most often in a banana has to 'delay' the change from one turn to the next - in fact 'delay-gate' is another really common term for a banana.

Try it freeskiing it's a great exercise to improve your adaptability and ensure you are well balanced over the skis, 3 short turns then 2 slightly longer ones, then 3 short and so on.......

As noted above vertical gates (pairs of poles which form the individual gates are set straight down or close to the fall-line) are combined to create other classic combinations of 'Hairpin' - two gates.

Flush or Verticale (pronounced 'verticaley' comme les Francises) have 3 or more gates, again for a long time we never saw more thatn 3 gates in a flush now you'll usually get 2 or 3 '4 gate flushes' in a World Cup Slalom season, the flat at the end of the Ganslerhang at Kitzbuehel is a favourite spot for these......

We're seeing a lot more multiple combinations on the world cup, 'pin, single open gate, flush, open gate, banana, watch for when Ante Kostelic is setting,,,,,, Iw as in the gondola with Anja Paerson and Janica Kostelic 'scuse the blatant name dropping wink ) one time (World Champs in Sta Caterina I think) and Anja was saying to Janica, (Swedish Accent for effect) "What the Hell is your father trying to doo to us? Tie us in knots?" as we were looking down at the course below us,,,,, sorry you had to be there really!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jcjc, Aw I feel a bit daft after the comment above and then it turns out you are reading after all. Laughing
Anyway, same stands, great stuff and looking forward to Levi on Eurosport.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jcjc wrote:
no-one has set your B2/R2 Flush/Hairpins since I used to race!
I'll take your workd for it on snow. On the dry slope circuit though, I'd say you see as many "B2" hairpins as "B1". This may be to make it less confusing for minis - you quite often see them skiing round the lower "B1" gate and then wondering where the next gate has gone. (And I must admit to having done a "B2" once myself, completely ignoring the subsequent R gate - although I wasn't really concentrating having picked myself up after a course half-way down, and so having an appalling time anyway). I've also seen a few "B2" bananas, although mostly in training courses and probably the only one I've seen in a national level race was a sort of half-way-house - the gate set 45 degrees to the fall-line - at the Club National (or maybe the GP, I can't remember which now) at Chill Factore this summer.

(Not quite sure who "the GrahamN" is - I'm sure I'm only "a GrahamN", but I can only find one other "me" on the Googlesphere, and he's my cousin's son in north America.)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GrahamN, The FIS rules have changed, latest (summer) precisions state "The gates in hairpin or vertical combinations must be set in a straight line".
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs, OK, it'll be interesting to see how long that takes to work its way through to (particularly regional) dry-slope course-setters. I also wonder whether that'll have any effect (and I'm sure I know the answer to that Wink ) at Christchurch, where their signature combination is one of three gates (to define a hairpin) where you can remove any one of the three without affecting the line in any way whatsoever rolling eyes Laughing .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jcjc, how the hell are you doing....... long time not speak, I see you are slumming it round europe again this season
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AH YES, SNEAKING BACK AND FORE BETWEEN THE SNOWS OF SCOTIA AND LES ALPZ..... GOOD FUN SO FAR SO HOPE FOR MORE OF THE SAME IN THE COMING WEEKS! JC
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy