Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyrenees 2010/2011 Snow Report

Poster: A snowHead
21st Dec. Baqueira.

Rain \ snow with the freezing level around 2000m. Best area is Bonaigua, no one about and fresh starting to accumulate. Forecast for tomorrow is the same so we'll see how it shakes out.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.skipass.com/forums/enmontagne/stations_ski_france/pyrenees/sujet-111940-150.html

google translated: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://www.skipass.com/forums/enmontagne/stations_ski_france/pyrenees/sujet-111940-150.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
25th Dec. Baqueira.

It started dumping on Christmas Eve and continued into the night. Christmas day dawned a (mostly) blue bird powder day with knee\thigh deep powder. The fist run started in cloud but we were first onto one the tree lines 'blacks' to make a perfect start. Light snow made for perfect conditions. The rest of the day was spent off piste targeting the open itinerary runs. The resort has 'adopted' a few popular 'under the rope' runs and the pick of these today was off the top of the lift back from Beret. Superb, 45 degree powder run. It's bloody cold though, although the forecast next week is for an elevated freezing level Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just looked at the Vallnord site and only 6 of the runs open @ Pal sector? Crazy!

I am due to go last week of Jan so still some time yet to get things moving - but really suprised to see such poor conditions there at the moment.

rolling eyes Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
20cm fell on Christmas Eve across the Central Pyrenees along with very cold temperatures. On piste is very good but there needs to be more to help the off piste. Warmer and clear skies for the next few days..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
david@mediacopy, sounds like you had a great day. (I was back in the UK getting to grips with its own snowfall over xmas; if I'd had any equipment with me I'd have tried something on the hills around the house!) Which parts of the resort were you talking about on http://baqueira.es/estacion/mapa-pistas ?

ReflexReact, don't worry, there's plenty of time to increase the snow levels before the end of Jan! (There'd better be; I've just organized a big group trip there at that time wink.) The long-term forecasts for this season have proved spot on so far: colder than average and drier than average which means that the snow quality is generally very good but unfortunately there's not metres of the stuff about. The further west you go, the better the levels are, but Andorra's still waiting for the next big fall which is currently predicted for the second week of January. (In Vallnord, Arinsal and Arcalís are looking pretty good though!) The Christmas / New Year / Kings holiday season is all about the sunshine this year Happy

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 30-12-10 9:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pyremaniac, The best run of the day was off the top of the Dera Reina lift - "Clot der Os". This was "under the rope" last year but is now marked. I'd never got around to it before. I was surprised but pleased to see it open. One of the best runs I've had. Deepish dry powder on a steep pitch, snowHead

Also open was the 'off piste' itinerary off the "costarjas" drag lift in Beret. That was pretty good, especially near the top but I took a cautious line as it was late in the day and I was on my own.

For old times sake I also made it over to Argulls where the wide gully accessed from the top lift has also been adopted ('Pala de Teso') and was open. Rocky (as usual) at entry but a nice pitch down. Heavier snow than in Cloty der Os. The narrow option, nest along also looked doable if careful of the rocks showing at the top. I'm guessing that this new run will become the bumped pretty quick now.

'Manaud' was also open but time was against me on the last day. The best bet for this one is to follow the contour around the spur to the skiers left which gives access to a nice easy pitch back to the piste.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just got back from a very pleasant New Year's in Boí Taüll. Sunny weather and good conditions on the pistes thanks to the snowmaking and the reasonably low temperatures, but nothing in the way of off-piste available. In fact, there was very little snow at all up to about 2000, which luckily is where the resort starts. The dry spell is predicted to last a while longer unfortunately. (The resorts don't mind though; they'd choose a sunny winter with acceptable on-piste conditions any time over a stormy one with lots of powder days; apparently many Pyrenean resorts only broke even the last two winters despite those seasons being absolutely top-class from my own perspective! Your average holiday skier prefers to book when there's a reasonable chance of nice weather.) The next snowfall still looks like it might come mid next week.

david@mediacopy, thanks for the detailed info! Our visit to Baqueira to catch the snowfall at the start of December was our first to date, and so we didn't know the resort at all. The interesting thing is that we ended up in two of the exact places you mentioned. We started around Argulls (well, the Ta Argulls bit; the hill opposite also seems to be called Argulls!), but we didn't go too steep because we weren't comfortable with the avvy rating given that we were in unknown territory. Mainly we were around the lower half of the Solei lift. Which lift does 'Pala de Teso' accessed from? Then we did the top of the Dera Reina lift several times: under the lift and through the powder round about the (closed) slalom piste. I didn't spot the Clot der Os itinerary; will look out for it next time. The snow in that area was excellent.

I kept looking over at the potential of the Beret/Costarjàs hillside, but decided to save it for a future visit!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pyremaniac, There is a lift that runs along the top of the ridge-line, above and parallel to the lower lift in the Argulls valley which gives access to that, plus some other steeper options along the ridge. It's accessed via a track behind the coffee stop. The furthest hill in that direction is Bonaigua and offers some good lines and can be a good option when the weather is bad.

What were the off piste possibilities with Boí Taüll ? I've never made it over - yet Toofy Grin I need to organise a Road Trip of the area...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
david@mediacopy, ah yes, now I see that run on the "opposite" hill.

When it fires, Boí Taüll had very good off-piste since it has wide open slopes at various gradients accessible to all levels of off-piste riders, such trees that exist are sparse, and all but a small part of the surface area is reachable from the lift tops. For a typical one-valley(*) medium-size Pyrenean resort it has particularly interesting, undulating terrain: a bit more "wild" than most, including a largely unfenced and unmarked enormous abyss running all the way down the middle which keeps you concentrating on white-out days! It also has a large highly-regarded snowpark, and outside of the peak holidays the resort is virtually deserted, partly due to its (somewhat exaggerated) reputation for inaccessibility and partly due to the simplicity of its facilities. (It's a vicious circle of course, since the facilities can't be upgraded if there's no gate money coming in...). In terms of size and mileage it's not Baqueira or Grandvalira of course, but I enjoy it for a couple of visits a season, partly /because/ of its lack of industrialization.

It's only round the corner from Baqueira so you should definitely pop down there for a weekend!

(*) actually there are two valleys since there are a couple of long, marked difficult runs round the back of the highest peak (the highest lift-served peak in the Pyrenees, it's claimed, at 2750m). They look great on the piste map, but I've yet to try them. They're closed at the moment due to lack of snow.

Talking of snow, our motivation for moving westwards towards the central Pyrenees this year has been the typically higher snow levels over there. Boí Taüll is one of those places which seems to always boast thick levels at the top, I guess as a result of its altitude, but you need to take that with a pinch of salt. They're currently saying 160cm at the top, but as you'll have gathered from my previous post, that doesn't translate to much lower down. I think their stated levels for the bottom (currently 50cm) gives a more representative idea of the general state of play across the pistes on non-powder days. It's pretty much north-facing, but one side has been badly hurt by the prolonged sunshine, with either very little snow or very hard snow off-piste at the moment. That said, when powder falls, it falls hard and fast, and is up there with the best of the Pyrenees. (Limited facilities also mean that many runs don't get pisted when it snows heavily overnight, so it falls to us to do the job for them Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sitting here in the East thinking there must be more snow in the West. Can anyone tell me how much fresh you got over there? 5cm and counting here (Guzet/AX)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It has been snowing fairly heavily here in the central Pyrenees today. Much needed after very mild weather indeed, though the forecast for next week is again mild with colder more seasonal temperatures returning from about the 19th.

At Superbagneres above 1800m there was probably 8cm, below that 5cm - but everything is looking so much better. With some pisting tonight the runs tomorrow should be superb.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I saw on the Vallnord webcams just how crazy the weather was yesterday - it looked like a good dumping. However, I've just come to check the Vallnord site and it's still stating that the PAL sector has loads of runs closed - including one of the two main green runs.

This is a real dissapointment for me - I'm taking my mum on her first ski trip in 2 weeks time, staying in La Massana (at the PAL end) and was really hoping that the whole resort would be open by end of Jan...

... this looks unlikely to me now, wouldn't you say? Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You might be lucky, snow/rain falling hard about 2000m at the mo but looking to fall.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ReflexReact, Andorra and all resorts eastwards are struggling at the moment, although they'll have been very grateful for Sunday's snowfall. I'm sure yesterday must have been a fun day for those who had the pleasure of a Monday on the mountain.

The bad news is that temperatures are rising for the current week, and there's nothing in the way of snowfall forecast. The good news is that there's no reason to assume that the following week will follow suit! Keep positive Happy (Or rebook for the Sierra Nevada Toofy Grin)
snow report
http://www.lauegi.conselharan.org/index.php?lang=catalan (click mapa sensible )

This contains some very useful avi and ski touring info for the val d'aran.
snow report
Anyone for a round of Golf?
snow report
Just came back from a weekend at Font Romeu, where we went out of desperation due to the general lack of snow. (Font Romeu has the largest number of snow cannons per metre of piste in Europe, or some such silly statistic!). One of several small-to-medium size resorts in the French eastern Pyrenees, it's not particularly high and has more of a hill terrain than a mountain terrain. I wasn't expecting much, and indeed I almost didn't take my board at all, having decided that I'd teach myself to ski instead. As it turned out, the on-piste conditions were very good (60cm) although there was barely a flake of snow away from the pistes. Just as the resort is famous for, it was full sunshine both days. I spent the mornings on skis and the afternoons on the board.

Like most of these small French resorts, it's excellent for beginners with lots of varied, lengthy, and usually wide, green runs, some of which actually had a reasonable slope so that not only did my skiing progress quickly but there was also fun to be had on those runs on the board as well, doing tricks and jumps. On the other hand, there are also some challenging and interesting reds and blacks which made for some somewhat faster-paced action in the afternoons.

Most interestingly of all, and entirely unexpected, the resort has an excellent advanced-level snowpark!

I'd certainly go again when the conditions aren't too good in the region. I'd love to think that the summer weather we're having at the moment might be on its way out soon, but it's currently looking like it'll stretch all through next week. It's going to be more like the end of the month before the next big snowfall; those snow cannons are going to remain busy I guess...
latest report
Having decided to do a cheap half-term with the wife and kids for their first ski trip I picked Alp 2500 (Masella/La Molina) because of the green and blue slopes and the fact that the combined area has plenty of mileage for me and one or two tricky runs in and off piste. I also like to go off the beaten track at times. But...........it's wall to wall sunshine and the snow canons are working overtime. Snow is forecast towards the end of the week for a few days with temperatures dropping. I live in hope that with over a month to go we'll be okay but only a third of the slopes seem to be open at present. As ever with skiing, one thing you can't guarantee is the white stuff but the Eastern Pyrenees has less than anywhere currently! Confused
ski holidays
Back from a week in Arinsal, most runs open there, some slushy in afternoon. Pal in not bad nick. Arcalis good, but very firm snow

Best at Arcalis
ski holidays
michaelhall58, plenty of time to go yet before your holiday! The seasonal weather looks to be returning at the end of the month, and for the week coming the temperatures are dropping right back down again, with freezing levels at 600m on some days next week. Fear not!

You've made a good choice of resort. Note that the off-piste is all at La Molina though; Masella is all about the pretty tree-lined runs.

kendub, glad you had a good time, despite the heatwave! Nice to hear that Vallnord has managed to stay usable.
latest report
This is our 7th winter here in the Pyrenees and I have to be honest I have not seen a January like it. Fortunately our local resorts (Superbagneres, Peyragudes and Baqueira) have done an excellent job of maintaining the pistes with artificial and attentive grooming, but unless you go high off piste does not exist.

December saw early snow and lots of it, but followed by very warm weather mainly due to the extremely cold air in Northern Europe, we had a good top up leading up to Christmas but between then and now have only had one fall of snow, with nothing on the horizon this side of February.

There is still plenty of very good skiing available, and with very cold temperatures beginning to settle back in the piste will be kept in excellent condition.

Lets hope that February brings a change of fortune - as with the vacances kicking off things are going to get very busy indeed.

It certainly has been an odd season so far Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Anyone know where to point me for accurate forecasts? I'm hitting Pal in Vallnord next week, and really hoping for some heavy snow between now and then!
snow report
ReflexReact wrote:
Anyone know where to point me for accurate forecasts? I'm hitting Pal in Vallnord next week, and really hoping for some heavy snow between now and then!

Looking at the Pyrenees in general we are going to have cold weather and clear skies for at least the next 7 days. Locals are talking of snow at the end of the month with the change of the moon (as they always do) but nothing on the near horizon unfortunately.
latest report
Thats a shame! Sad Oh well, so long as the snow cannons work...
snow conditions
Ski Guide, how was 2006/07 over on your side? It was pretty atrocious on the Spanish side!
snow report
Pyremaniac, ha ha, that was the season we spent in Baqueira. Golf in February wink Reading between the lines they were pretty close to closing the resort at one point. It didn't help when the tunnel collapsed.
snow report
Pyremaniac wrote:
Ski Guide, how was 2006/07 over on your side? It was pretty atrocious on the Spanish side!

The question made me check our guests photo albums for that period, and certainly in January it was a bit thin but no where as near as bad as this year. February and March were fantastic with lots of big powder days. In 06/07 we didn't have the big early snow like this year, and certainly not the high late Dec/early Jan temperatures that we have had.

Still we didn't get the rain that hit the Alps thank god. No sheet ice here, the piste is running well, though the sides on the lower slopes are bare.

The positive for us is that we have Superbagneres, Peyragudes and Baqueira to play on, so one way in another we can be guaranteed some good skiing. Lets hope the new moon brings favourable weather Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing on the Baqueira web cams this morning.

Pyremaniac, out of interest where are you based ? I keep toying with looking for a place in the area but have always favored the French side.
ski holidays
Vallnord webcams are showing lots of snow too! Come on baby, let it snow let it snow let it snow! I fly out on Sunday to Pal - so the more the better imo!
snow report
Quote:

Looking at the Pyrenees in general we are going to have cold weather and clear skies for at least the next 7 days. Locals are talking of snow at the end of the month with the change of the moon (as they always do) but nothing on the near horizon unfortunately.

I am off to Les Angles on the 9th Feb & keeping fingers crossed for your moon forecasts. This is a bit new for me, any ideas what the moon cycle does to affect this?
snow report
Just to let you all know its dumping down the white stuff here in pas de la casa!
ski holidays
grimmy wrote:
Just to let you all know its dumping down the white stuff here in pas de la casa!

Great news. Hopefully it won't stop 'till we get there...
ski holidays
Ski Guide wrote:
In 06/07 we didn't have the big early snow like this year, and certainly not the high late Dec/early Jan temperatures that we have had.

vs.
david@mediacopy wrote:
Pyremaniac, ha ha, that was the season we spent in Baqueira. Golf in February wink Reading between the lines they were pretty close to closing the resort at one point. It didn't help when the tunnel collapsed.

Ah, great days... Christmas day on the balcony in shorts, T-shirt and full sunshine, and Reyes spent at Portaventura in 20°C and the whole theme park to ourselves Happy

Seems like the French side got the best of the snow action that year!

(What's that about the tunnel? :-O)

Ski Guide wrote:
February and March were fantastic with lots of big powder days.

I had only just moved to Barcelona at that point, and hadn't yet nurtured my full-blown snow obsession Happy. I wasn't checking weather forecasts at all, let alone on an hourly basis, so I might well have missed the good days later in the season, having been put off by an underwhelming couple of days in January. (That changed distinctly in 2008/09 Toofy Grin)

david@mediacopy wrote:
I keep toying with looking for a place in the area but have always favored the French side.

Hmm, not sure I can offer much advice there, but many well-off Spaniards have a second home in Cerdanya. To be honest, given that you're a Baqueira fan, I can think of worse places than the Val d'Aran, though I imagine it's pretty pricey up there! The Pont de Suert or Sort valleys would also be great option. City-wise, I guess Lleida is the obvious choice.

grimmy wrote:

What? [panics as world crumbles around him] None of my forecasts show even a flake for today; what's going on? :-O Ahhh, you're talking cannons, right? wink
latest report
Quote:
(What's that about the tunnel? :-O)

They were in the process of finishing the new tunnel and part of the old fell in. It was part of the entrance IIRC. Given the number of clients from Barca and Madrid it was bad news for Baqueira.

I do fancy the lower part of the Val d'aran, say Bossost but it's still a bit pricey for me.
latest report
How wrong can the forecasts be - instead of clear sunny skies we had blizzard conditions in our part of the central Pyrenees for most of the day. White out and heavy snow in Superbagneres as well as Baqueira where I took our guests today, arriving in Beret at 9am only to find it shut, back to Baqueira to find out that nothing above the plateau was open. Minus 12 degrees at the base, and with the wind I expect it must have been near to -20 on the top.

Fortunately the wind died down in the afternoon and some of Beret opened as well as Mirador to open up the top of Baqueira. Still white out, and a mixture of wind-blown hard packed and then very dry powder.

An odd day to say the least, and totally unexpected. At least the new snow and low temperatures will keep everything in good condition for another week at least. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Not talking Cannons matey it was hacking it down all day yesterday, its a beautiful bluebird day today with some lush powder going on. Shame its my last day Sad
ski holidays
Glad to see winter is back, as for forecasts the only one that has got it right this year so far is the window!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 23-01-11 19:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Both Peyragudes and Superbagneres saw a decent fall of snow on the 21st (up to 20cm), Baqueira reported 10cm. Last night there were a few snow showers, and with the base temperature at about minus 10 the snow cannons are also running to top up even further.

The forecast is looking optimistic for more snow on Thursday/Friday.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Please be snowy Thurs/Fri and sunny Sat/Sun! I've organized my first big-group trip for people at work and the weather stress is killing me Happy. Until a few days ago it was looking like we'd be mountain biking instead, and then there was the horror that the first decent snowfall for 5 weeks would fall right through the weekend, which the first-timers wouldn't enjoy much. Now it's looking like we might hit the jackpot...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy