Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sainte Foy 2010/11

Poster: A snowHead
Not me, I sure as hell wouldn't be doing it on skis just yet! Shocked

There had been maybe 10 or so people down it before I did it this afternoon, but there were only the tracks from one or two turns in the big gully/natural halfpipe underneath. I think I was the first to make an effort at getting some air in/out of the pipe!

The mid-way couloir was pretty horrible though. Lots of exposed rock and some exposed water-ice too. Had to side-slip the worst section, which I hate doing because I curse anyone else I see doing it!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swift update after yesterday's wet/mild weather:

Wasn't as bad as it could have been. Lower slopes are now icy with re-frozen rain, but there is great powder from half-way upwards. Guests report under the Marquise was epic this morning. I am going up for a cheeky run now to see for myself...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Latest conditions report after being up all morning:

Much better than I expected, with actually some of the best on-piste conditions I've had in a while.

Up-top has great well-groomed, fresh-packed piste conditions - awesome for carving on a board. Didn't have the skis out today, but would say it would be near-perfect on skis. Off-piste, there is nice, soft snow but on a pretty hard base and it's pretty tracked. Good in pockets, but it's also been getting a bit wind-affected up high. I reckon Fogliettaz might be pretty good if it's escaped the wind.

Mid-level isn't brilliant, a wee bit icy and hard-packed, but still OK. There are a few stones around near the bottom of the Marquise and on the the lower part of Creux de Formeian.

Lower down was the big surprise - the new cannons mean that there's plenty of snow cover and, with the mild temperatures, it felt like nice spring snow conditions - that classic hard piste just softening in the sun feeling.

So, far from vintage, and not what we'd hope for in January, but some very nice riding to be had all the same.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heavy snow at resort level for the last couple of hours! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stevomcd, was going to shoot you an Email. Is Tintin fully booked w/c 15th?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scotia, TinTin is totally jammed right through until end of Feb, got some space next door (www.whiteroomchalet.com/win_accom_Bazilhote.htm) for the week of 30th Jan, open to offers on it!

EDIT: Could also do something in Bazilhote from 15th-20th (or even 13th-20th or similar), £399 including lift-pass for 7 nights?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevomcd, would be for 8 folks, 15-22nd at the moment (flights). Will give you a shout if things don't work out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No worries, don't think we can make that happen.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
10cm of fresh snow overnight, by the way!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Really nice today with the fresh snow, not quite enough to cover the old tracks off-piste, but almost there so some powder riding to be had (especially in the secret stashes... wink ). Snow fell after the evening grooming so cut-up very quickly today, but should be great tomorrow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fantastic day today, fresh snow - very deep in sheltered spots - blue skies and empty slopes. It was great! Rode just about everything in-bounds - lines under the Marquise, Morion, Shaper's, Petit Col and lots of variations on Crystal. Pics shortly!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pic from yesterday (moody late-afternoon shot on Le Petit Col). More here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=261970&id=16428646898

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevomcd, - 21 days and counting, just dont use it all till we get there!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haven't been up since Wednesday's powder day (down with a cold and business duty calling after sneaking out to ride powder 4 days on the trot!), but from chatting to the guests the warm temperatures have resulted in icy conditions on the lower half of the mountain. However, I'm also told there is still some decent snow to be found up high (with a guest having ridden Crystal Dark today and still finding some decent fresh snow).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Up for the morning today - very pleasantly surprised (again!)

Beautiful sunny day, pistes in immaculate condition, off piste sun-crusted, but still good in high/shady locations (very pleasant in the bowl underneath the 3rd, even if the term powder is stretching it a bit!). If I were a gambling man I would put some money on the North Face of Le Fogliettaz still being in pretty epic condition. Cool
snow conditions
Wee update:

Piste conditions are very good. Firm and fast, but very grippy with minimal ice or polished areas. Way better than the rest of the Tarentaise (from what I hear), presumably due to the lack of crowds. Actually no, scratch that, it's rubbish here, don't come! wink

Off-piste is, by now, very tracked but is still soft at altitude. I'm just back from the Fogliettaz and it was excellent - decent powder and still plenty of fresh tracks to be found. Crusty in places, but still pretty much powder all the way if you find the right line.
latest report
Another excellent day today. We did the South Face of Le Fogliettaz, just for a change! The snow was fantastic, soft powder with the odd patch of crust. Just shows that with the cold weather, the snow is remaining very good as long as you can find it untracked.

A wee tour up the Montseti tomorrow, hopefully more good snow down the north face on the far side.
snow report
pic,s please
latest report
Since you asked nicely. wink

We're running a backcountry week this week and I've been acting as tail-guide, so I haven't been getting the best shots, but here you go:

North Face yesterday:

South Face today:

Petit Col today:

ski holidays
Looks fun Cool
snow conditions
I can back up stevomcd's updates.... North Face of Fogliettaz still has some great snow:

Piste conditions excellent, off piste near the lifts well skied but still surprisingly good!
snow conditions
We did a big tour today, down from Col Granier, then skinned up and over Montseti. Long climb, but the snow was really good on the other side.
snow conditions
Update: still no new snow here since mid-January. Pistes still holding up pretty well, although have become a bit harder in the last week. Still generally grippy, rather than icy and no issues with rocks/bare patches or any similar nastiness. Off piste, well I haven't bothered much in the last few days!

Very, very warm today, sat at the Brevettes in a T-shirt and got sunburnt! Made for some nice afternoon conditions with the firm pistes softening a little in the sun, but it looks like we might be in for some springlike freeze-thaw for the next few days.
latest report
thanks for the update stevomcd. We are heading out on 27th Feb so fingers crossed for some snow before then, although it sounds like conditions are pretty good anyway - hopefully this weeks milder weather wont get rid of too much snow!

Enjoy the sunshine!
snow conditions
1st post and am off to saint foy in a couple of weeks so was pleased that the news is positive. Have just spent a week around flaine and avoriaz and it is amazing how well the staff are keeping the pistes open but all of them were very icy.

Really could do with an inside track on which lifts are the best to drive to and park to get into la rossiere, les arc and val as am planning a bit of a tour whilst there.

Gp
ski holidays
With your Sainte Foy pass, you get healthy discounts at the other resorts, but in theory you are obliged to use specific lifts/lift pass offices to gain access at the reduced price. In any case, these are generally the closest and often the most practical anyway.

Val d'Isere:
Access via La Daille. This is the easiest way anyway - there is a big, cheap (not free!) car park and the funicular from La Daille takes you straight to the top of Bellevarde. Parking in central Val is a major pain, so I'd definitely do it this way even if you're not using the lift pass deals.

Tignes:
Access via Les Brevieres. Again, this is pretty easy - there's a big, free car park. It's a bit of an out-of-the-way corner of the ski area though and the lifts up aren't the fastest. Skiing back to Les Brev is often pretty grim, with the choice being between the black Sache (moguls of doom) or the red run (can't remember the name) which suffers from severe snow-cannon overdose. It's almost always horrendously icy. With guests, I quite often take the bubble back down. There is also a blue run down via Les Boisses but it's so flat it's almost uphill.

Les Arcs:
Access via either Villaroger or the Funicular in Bourg Saint Maurice. Both generally have ample free parking. Villaroger is much closer to Sainte Foy (barely 10 minutes away) but like Les Brev at Tignes, it's pretty out-of-the-way. Skiing down from the Aiguille Rouge all the way to Villaroger is a classic piste, but by parking here you're committing yourself to doing it at the end of the day, when you're knackered and it probably won't be in the best condition. Not a problem if you're a good skier.

La Rosiere:
In theory, you're supposed to access the area via Les Ecudets (or maybe Les Eucherts?) but I've always just used the main lift-pass office in the centre of town and never had any hassle. That's what I'd recommend. Parking is usually fine, but since you'll be there at the busiest time of year, you might need to do a lap or two to find a space!
snow report
Sainte Foy lift pass office charged me 13 Euro for a day pass after I showed them my 13 day Val d'Isere VIP pass and the receipt.

We skinned up Montseti on Friday 28 Jan and I would echo what stevomcd said on the 26 Jan, it was a long walk, but the snow was worth the effort and the skiing was great.
snow report
Adrian, the road back down to Le Crot was interesting though, eh? Shocked Probably easier on skis, I was on a (split) board!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevomcd, I'm certain you will know this but other boarders and especially Tignes day trippers may not...

When coming back to Brevieres, you can follow the blue (melezes then Myrtilles) down to its junction with the red (bottom of Sache) and then ride this down to avoid the flat stuff further down on the blue. On a board this is the best option, especially if the upper section of the red is likely to be icy. The other red (Chardons) is quite steep in places and is not much fun for new boarders, especially if it is icy, but the lower section (the bottom of Sache) is normally OK and is not steep.

Go left at the new Boisses gondola, follow the summer road (Mytilles) past the 'tunnel to no where' (its on left at a right hand hairpin) and the blue piste joins the easy section of Sache after one more hairpin bend and the straight section following that. There is enough gradient that you don't need to skate or walk but if you pass the junction with the red bit of Sache, walking will be required.

How much is a day in Saint Foy with an EK lift pass?
ski holidays
Quote:

How much is a day in Saint Foy with an EK lift pass?

I think it's 13€. Cheers for the route info - If I do ride down that's usually the way I go (I think) - you're right about not wanting to miss that turning! Laughing
snow conditions
Stevomcd

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Its true snowheads is a freindly place.
snow conditions
stevomcd, are Super U still doing St Foy offers on the back of their till receicpts this season. wink
latest report
livetoski, don't know, I've got a season pass! (which cost me 90€) wink
latest report
stevomcd, yes, the road was unexpectedly long. I reckon about 700 vertical metres of snowplough. I think it was easier than the narrower track I have used previously after skiing down from the Fogliettaz. The road was actually quite pretty although I was a bit busy during the descent and unable to properly appreciate the scenery.
ski holidays
Yes, the Super U till receipts offer is still running; €15 for a day I think, for Weds/Sat/Sun, used my vouchers last weekend...
snow report
How are the conditions holding up?

Hopefully some snow this week maybe.

I dont get out there until the 24th perhaps the snow gods will decide to dump a metre of fresh and then bluebird for the week?

Oh well what ever it is like I am sure it will be fun.
latest report
stevomcd wrote:
Les Arcs:
Access via either Villaroger or the Funicular in Bourg Saint Maurice. Both generally have ample free parking. Villaroger is much closer to Sainte Foy (barely 10 minutes away) but like Les Brev at Tignes, it's pretty out-of-the-way. Skiing down from the Aiguille Rouge all the way to Villaroger is a classic piste, but by parking here you're committing yourself to doing it at the end of the day, when you're knackered and it probably won't be in the best condition. Not a problem if you're a good skier.

Or you could just take the Lanchettes lift out of Arc 2000 and ski the bottom 1/2 which is pretty easy for any competent red-runner, almost regardless of how knackered they are, plus there's an esay blue option through the tree's once you got past the wider bit with a tree in the middle of the piste...
snow report
There is currently some weird white stuff falling out of the sky. I have no idea what it is, will investigate and report back...
latest report
stevomcd, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
stevomcd, just don't touch it! It needs to still be there when we arrive on Saturday...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy