Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter driving scenarios

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Astraeus, My son's cheffing hours were 07:00 (ish) till 11:00 (max) then 17:00 till 21:00 (latest). He had no problems at all and liked the fact that he had zero client contact, other than when they were complemented on the food.

He and the head chef were very organised though.

He never spent all day or night in the kitchen, ever.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks in no small part to the help I've received in this thread, I've received a telephone interview to be conducted this week for the job I mentioned earlier.

It's £80 p/w (£100 p/w if season completed) and gives me a €30 p/w food allowance, accommodation, ski and boot hire, transfer to-and-from the UK and a ski pass. All in all, that seems quite reasonable, doesn't it?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Astraeus, well done. Hope it goes well. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Astraeus, so on my reckoning that's around the £1800 per month mark..... cheaper for them to do it that way too given the employment costs in France..
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, thank you. Very Happy

marcellus, do you know whether any of these employers tend to allow people to opt-out of the provided accommodation and take an increased wage instead? A few of us are going out and it was our intention to bunk together.

Also, what employment costs do you mean?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Astraeus, 30 euro/week to buy all your food etc does not sound generous to me. For that money £100/week I would have expected accommodation and all food to be included. But if it gets you out for a season....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Astraeus, I may stand corrected but as I understand it the employment costs for the employer are approximately 100% of the net pay that the employee receives...... if I haven't explained that very well.... if you as an employee is paid €80 then the employer will have to pay the tax man an additional €80.... so if we agree that the "package" is worth about €1800 if the employer were to pay you that it would actually cost him €3600..... this way it only costs him about €1000.

Based on that I doubt he'llbe happy to allow you to opt out.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cad99uk, it does include accommodation, ski pass, travel to/from the UK, ski and boot hire and a €30 food allowance. The £80/£100 is purely take-home cash in my pocket for food and drink.

marcellus, thanks for explaining that. Annoying, but it'll still see me out into the Three Valleys and so, if it goes well tomorrow, I'd be a fool to turn in down in the absence of anything more promising.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Astraeus, Lots of Chalets employ "locals" but under French law they have to pay them proper money i.e. at least minimum wage, which can be an expensive option for them.

If you want a job I should move quick as they are recruiting right now and the best of them will already be sorted.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jbob, thanks. As I've said, I'm well into the application process now and this is the second-stage or further with my applications. Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Astraeus, I use to do a bit of driving as well sometimes, even have my Swiss TCS winter diploma for driving a minibus, but doing driving full time is hard work. You sure need to be paid more than what you have quoted to work that hard. Hope you find something. Or just come and hang out in Bourg like loads of others do for the season.

marcellus, are you around still, thought you had moved away? Has David and Tamari left Bourg yet or is he still working on his place. I guess you guys are all fully rented out for this winters with seasonaires by now.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowcrazy, I knoooow! I'm sure you're right but I am just so keen to do a season this year that I will take less than the true value of my work just to keep me in the mountains for a few months. I'm on course to save up about £800 before I head out in three/four weeks and so I could always chance on finding work once I'm out there. It just feels really bad not to be able to utilise at least one of my USPs if I'm going to get a job. Being paid minimum wage for unqualified work would be a real PITA! Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Astraeus, Good luck tomorrow and have a great season.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hiya snowcrazy, I'm still around......... just not as physically as I was..... David and Tamari are still in Bourg as well......... as for fully rented out... we can always find more space!! (but perhaps not in the Pink House)!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cad99uk, Smile Thank you very much!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy