Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New classic style/retro Ski Poster

Poster: A snowHead
SMALLZOOKEEPER and your much laboured point is?

I may be wrong but I do believe other resorts also used similar pictures and neither the OP or the current publishers are claiming they've invented a whole new genre of ski poster.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Right, there are so many similarities between that first link SMALLZOOKEEPER and the Cairngorms one ... er like they are both posters and in colour, the damned rip off merchants Wink
betterinblack wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER and your much laboured point is?

And frankly getting f*cking annoying point too!

SMALLZOOKEPER a joke is a joke but learning when to shut the f*ck up is part of knowing where and when jokes end!

Comprende?

However, last word on this one for now - after a bit of research someone may have been 'copying' someone else but I can assure you it wasn't Chamonix that was copied and whether said 'copying' is okay or not I don't yet know!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 25-10-10 14:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are hundreds and hundreds of French railway posters in this style. It's lovely, though whether it's the best way to market the Cairngorms I have no idea.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shamless plug for my friend Lucy who makes ski posters (and other art) based in the Val de Bagnes. Look Here.
latest report
 brian
brian
Pah, Cardinaux's Matterhorn (1908) predates your Hiver-Ete derivative by 25 years. NehNeh

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
roga, Very original. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, indeed!

parlor, very nice work - the posters she's done are superb Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
betterinblack wrote:
Of course what they could really do with is another huge dump of snow and some joined up thinking where there are short breaks via trains (inc accomodation and lift pass) at reasonable prices to tempt people into contempating 2/3 trips a season.

Absolutely - I'd be up for that! Toofy Grin In fact I really should try to do it, overnight sleeper from Kings Cross would be great! Very Happy

Oh - and I love the posters too. Where do you email to get a free one? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cathy, advertise@Cairngorms-Park.com
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's definitely not a Chamonix rip off:
http://uk.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/95/MPW-47710
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
roga, you're gonna love this, i've temporally moved into a friends house this evening. The entire place is decorated with this style of artwork from all around the world where he has travelled. Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
roga wrote:

In actual fact, believe it or not, they're giving A3 copies away free! (Only just found this out)

To secure yours e-mail them at advertise@Cairngorms-Park.com to ask for a copy and include your name and address. Toofy Grin

More info here

NOTE: they only have the winter one at the moment so copies of the other 2 posters on that page aren't available.

Thanks RogA, just sent an email to get a copy. It'll look great in the "boy's room" where I keep my skiing DVDs and will serve to remind me of an excellent mayday weekend skiing in Scotland

We already have this one in a frame in the bathroom
http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/LRG/8/805/PMUI000Z.jpg
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So Scottish skiing is positioning itself as a prime destination for the disabled skier.

The guy in the poster seems to have only 1 arm. Shock
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spud9 wrote:
So Scottish skiing is positioning itself as a prime destination for the disabled skier.

How many times do we have to say its an homage to the adaptive skiing posters of the thirties

Mind you after seeings sloop post it's a direct ripoff of the park city one Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
betterinblack wrote:
Spud9 wrote:

How many times do we have to say its an homage to the adaptive skiing posters of the thirties

Aye Wink
Quote:
Mind you after seeings sloop post it's a direct ripoff of the park city one Laughing

Yup, well spotted and surprise, surprise not a Chamonix rip-off! rolling eyes
latest report
roga, Ahem.....

Quote:
learning when to shut the f*ck up is part of knowing where and when jokes end

I'm only saying....
snow report
BOOM Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The Voice of Reason wrote:
I'm only saying....

And you think I care! rolling eyes
ski holidays
I think it's outrageous - advertising a ski resort is all well and good but, to portray a skier in said advert without the requisite head protection is tantamount to irresponsibility. To me it just says, come to Scotland, ski fast, don't worry, you'll be safe.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Shamless plug for my friend Lucy who makes ski posters (and other art) based in the Val de Bagnes. Look Here.

excellent work. Love that vintage poster art.

If anyone is interested I have a couple of classic black and white photos of Lech taken around the 30's - one with a skier jumping over a Porsche (I think) and the other with various skiers (including Hannes Schneider) looking up the hill. I got them from the Lech tourist office a couple of years ago (around €30 from memory) but they no longer do them. I have them in a PDF format though, so if you want them, just PM me and I'll email them to anyone interested.
snow report
roga wrote:
parlor, very nice work - the posters she's done are superb Very Happy

boabski wrote:
Quote:

excellent work. Love that vintage poster art.

Thanks, I'll pass on your approvals. I think they're a must for any Verbier / Chable / 4 Valleys affectionado...
latest report
Quote:
overnight sleeper from Kings Cross

You'll be waiting quite a while, the Sleeper goes from Euston! wink
snow report
Got my poster today - yay! Very Happy

Winterhighland wrote:
You'll be waiting quite a while, the Sleeper goes from Euston!

Ah yes, of course I knew that wink Toofy Grin I reckon I could even manage to get to Euston.
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
Got my poster today - yay! Very Happy

Good to hear you got it, got mine too - just need to frame it and decide where to put it now Puzzled

Did they ask you where you found out about the poster freebie? They asked me but I reckon they must have had a lot of requests for them since then and must be wondering why the heck they're in sudden demand lol!
Quote:
Winterhighland wrote:
You'll be waiting quite a while, the Sleeper goes from Euston!

Ah yes, of course I knew that wink Toofy Grin I reckon I could even manage to get to Euston.

Hope we see up there sometime - I love the sleeper, such a civilised way to travel! Very Happy
snow report
No, they didn't ask me anything. Athough they did fold the poster - I suppose it's a bit much to expect a free poster in a tube Toofy Grin I'll have to get the butler to iron it when he does the morning papers.

Would really like to make the effort to ski in Scotland - and would be fun going by train. I love train travel! Very Happy
snow conditions
cathy,
Quote:

Would really like to make the effort to ski in Scotland - and would be fun going by train. I love train travel!
Me too.
ski holidays
Oooh, this could have the makings of a sH trip to Scotland snowHead
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
Oooh, this could have the makings of a second sH trip to Scotland snowHead

Fixed it for you. We had one last year for Mayday, and it was *great* Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt, ah - I shall have to go & look up the details Very Happy But I bet you didn't go by overnight sleeper from London wink

Now, can someone just tell me the weekend there will be great snow & blue skies so I can pre-book my train ticket well in advance Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
cathy wrote:
nbt, ah - I shall have to go & look up the details Very Happy But I bet you didn't go by overnight sleeper from London wink

Now, can someone just tell me the weekend there will be great snow & blue skies so I can pre-book my train ticket well in advance Madeye-Smiley

This sounds like an idea that could have legs. I'd be interested. Get sleeper from Euston Friday night, ski Sat and Sun, sleeper back on Sunday night, straight into work Monday morning. 1 night accommodation needed, and presumably some transport for the two days.

I'd love to ski Caingorm but have always been put off by the long journey north for what may well be mediocre skiing. This sounds like a great way to do it. The trip would be as much about the travel as the skiing. (but obviously blue skies and powder snow would be a bonus)
snow report
I'm in. Very Happy
latest report
I don't like it, they need to modernise the picture that appears on the poster.
snow report
Spud9 wrote:

This sounds like an idea that could have legs. I'd be interested. Get sleeper from Euston Friday night, ski Sat and Sun, sleeper back on Sunday night, straight into work Monday morning. 1 night accommodation needed, and presumably some transport for the two days.

I'd love to ski Caingorm but have always been put off by the long journey north for what may well be mediocre skiing. This sounds like a great way to do it. The trip would be as much about the travel as the skiing. (but obviously blue skies and powder snow would be a bonus)

There are buses from Aviemore up to the ski area, I think. Over on the other side, last season the Crianlarich hotel (v near the railway) was offering accomodation and daily transport to / from Glenshee (30 minutes drive) for very reasonable prices
snow conditions
Spud9 wrote:
cathy wrote:

Absolutely - we should do it! Very Happy
Hurtle yay! snowHead
snow report
cathy, I'm not saying yes.... but I'm not saying no either. Depends on cost
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, great! Very Happy Very Happy Although I doubt it would be cheap. I'll look into seeing if it could be roughly costed up.
snow report
Good poster, like above slightly reminiscent of Cham, Arlberg, Davos etc..............they've all got them................. but a poster is never going to attract new punters unless they do something re access. IMO unless you live central belt of Scotland you aint got a scooby of getting up there for the day (even then its hassle), and if you're going for a couple of days why would you gamble of staying in a local hotel watching Ptarmigans and golfers on the green-fields (because you couldnt cancel your hotel when theres no snow), surely its better to get a few buddies together and hit the Alps, even from North Yorkshire it a more realistic option. For those Darn-sarf they would be hardly likely to go 500 miles north to stand in line for what seems like hours watching the queues dwindle down when they can be in the Alps would they?? Confused

Maybe I'm being unfair, but the though of going to Scotland skiing (again) never crosses my mind, am I alone here?
snow report
A Snowheads met in the ScotRail Sleeper Lounge Bar!? snowHead
snow conditions
As a rough idea:

Train tickets available 12 weeks in advance. So for example, 7-9 Jan 2011, departing 9.15 pm arriving 7.45 am (in both directions). Euston-Aviemore no changes.

Sleeper berth, £60 each way, not refundable.
Sleeper berth, £103 each way, transferrable up to day of travel.
Single recliner seat £33 each way.
Obviously costs will get more expensive the later its booked.

2-day lift pass £58.50.

Didn't look into hotels but it would just be the Saturday night.
ski holidays
cathy, I'm not the only one who's been looking then? Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy