Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insured or not

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I hope this is the correct place to place this question. Well we will be going away skiing this year with some friends, I have skied since I was little but for my friends it will be the first time. They have asked if I could teach them as they don't want to commit too much money for the first time. now I know that I'm not an instructor but I have nearly all the time taken lessons and so have a good idea of the basics and I really would not mind taking them for a few hours each day. but my main question would be, would they be insured if they were to have an accident if they had not had lessons with a qualified instructor. I hope someone can answer this question as it is the only thing i'm not too sure about.

Many Thanks in advance Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jambo1, Welcome to snowHead

Possibly winning the prize for the most controversial question to ask on an opening post Laughing

I don't know the specifics re insurance, I'm guessing no, but unless you're a qualified instructor teaching your mates just does not work. You will either fall out big time and/or teach them your bad habits. My suggestion for any one is to learn the basics properly - you can help re-enforce at a later date if you like but the basics really are essential

Of course this being SH you will get a wide range of views
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm pretty sure that 'they' would be insured... but jambo1, you should be medically but not when connected to any liabilities...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As longt as you're not taking money from them and they are therefore just skiing with you as a mate, insurance shouldn't be an issue.

However, it's a rubbish idea - they'll learn a load of bad habits, you'll find that teaching isn't something any old bod can do effectively without any training, no-one with have a great deal of fun. Persuade them to get proper lessons.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd agree with Lizzard - nothing to do with insurance, if no money changes hands, but not a good idea. It's particularly not a good idea if they're fairly gung-ho as their chances of injuring themselves charging beyond their ability to control their speed are quite high.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why would you ruin your holiday and possibly your friendship by trying to teach them?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jambo1, Welcome to snowHead

I'm sure that you would be better off asking this question on TGR, don't you? Where the answer is more likely to be 'Insurance, what's insurance? You're gonna die man anyways .. "

I could of course be totally wrong snowHead Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jambo1, Welcome to snowHead s

Get them to spend a little on their holiday! Why should tight and miserable people ruin your time sliding even if they are friends! They will only learn your bad habits and nobody will gain from the experience. Skiing is an expensive holiday, cutting corners will end up costing more for them in the long run. False economy get them to the lessons in the morning and then you go and enjoy your holiday! Sorry to be hard on your first post but it is just not worth it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do not ask this question in TGR.

I believe that is illegal in France and possibly other countries to teach unless you are a qualified instructor. I have taught a friend to ski before in France but you do not want to try and teach a group. When I taught at Sheffield ski village there was a story about how one of the other employees got arrested for teaching in the alps and he would have been at least BASI level 1 or 2 qualified. It can be done but do not make it look like a group lesson
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I believe that is illegal in France and possibly other countries to teach unless you are a qualified instructor.

It's not illegal for one lad to teach his mates - people do it all over France. It's a totally different issue if you're operating as a commercial business (just as it's not illegal for me to cook dinner for my friends, but if I ran a restaurant there'd be a load of regulatory hoops to jump through).

The fact that it's legal doesn't make it wise, however. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob wrote:
Why would you ruin your holiday and possibly your friendship by trying to teach them?

That's it, in a nutshell. The chances are very, very high that you will fall out over this and at best, tensions will run high. How are you going to have any fun if you're permanently 'on watch'?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jambo1, Welcome to snowHead by the way. Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would you actually enjoy a holiday where you couldn't ski the slopes you would want to ski and would have to stand around doing basic things on nursery slopes or, at best, going a fraction of the speed you would otherwise? Sounds like you would be sacrificing your holiday for theirs AND probably not teaching them good basics. Doesn't sound like saving anything in the end.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldnt bother teaching them...................send them to ski school so you can have fun snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I believe that is illegal in France and possibly other countries to teach unless you are a qualified instructor.

It's not illegal for one lad to teach his mates - people do it all over France. It's a totally different issue if you're operating as a commercial business (just as it's not illegal for me to cook dinner for my friends, but if I ran a restaurant there'd be a load of regulatory hoops to jump through).

The fact that it's legal doesn't make it wise, however. wink

jambo1, I agree 100% with pam w's comment above. The most involvement on your part I would recommend for you is to ski with your mates when they are practising what they have been taught outside of lesson time. Madeye-Smiley

Btw, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
snow conditions
jambo1, welcome to Snowheads Smile I've said this before but,if possible,dont waste your/their hard earned cash learning to ski on a skiing holiday!! Are they within striking distance of a snow dome? If so,do a "learn to ski in a day" thing. Obviously,they wont learn to ski as such,but it will give them all the basic tools to enjoy the real mountain from the off.As we all know,once the basics are grasped,its amazing how quickly people can progress.
We have all witnessed the 1st time skier disasters in resort...the tears,injuries,impatient instructors etc. As for you teaching them...very bad idea.You will want to ski,and will soon lose patience with someone who struggles with snowplough turns,and endlessly falls off the button lift Mad Remember,you can ski..they cant(yet)..very bad mix IMHO.
Suggest you crunch the numbers.Resort instruction is not cheap,and usually only a couple of hours a day.Yes,they may well be able to ski by the end of the week,but will then need another holiday to actually enjoy it wink
latest report
Snow domes and, if there is no ski dome locally, dry ski slopes are great for learning to ski. One important aspect is that often the lessons are just one hour or a two hours per day. That means the beginner who is not an athlete does not get overly tired. Whereas on a ski holiday there is all the lessons and the practice lasting most of the day. Plus the beginner wants to make the most of the apre ski. So a desk jockey come arm-chair athlete who normally does only an hour or two of exercise per week is forced(!) to spend several hours per day exercising while on holiday. Exhaustion is likely.

Get them the basic skills from snow dome or dry ski slope before going on holiday and they will enjoy the snow and the mountain much more.
ski holidays
i agree with Adrian, i woundn t even think of teaching my kids,dont do it
snow conditions
Thanks for all your help with this tread, there seems to be sense that i should not teach my friends. the only way I can get them to come is to offer to teach, hopefully after the first day they will see how crap I am and look to the uniformed guys.

many thanks Razz
ski holidays
jambo1 I suggest you go back to the top of this thread and re-read every post.

Quote:

Thanks for all your help with this tread, there seems to be sense that i should not teach my friends so I will tell them to book into ski school to ensure they get the best possible introduction to this great sport. The only way I can get them to come is to offer to teach, so I'm now looking for another bunch of snowHead s to go skiing with and leaving my cheapskate mates at home.

There, fixed it for you Toofy Grin
snow report
jambo1, by then it will be too late to join the cheaper group lessons (they normally start on sundays) Get them to sign up - or take an all inclusive UCPA type package.

Teaching friends is bad for them and BORING AS HELL for you!
latest report
They should be insured yes but check with their insurance if worried, expect little or no sympathy though of they're injured whilst you 'teach' them!

I'm an instructor but don't teach any member of my family (and certainly wouldn't teach mates even if they paid the going rate).

It is an extraordinarily BAD idea to do this, both for them and for you, I don't care how many lessons you've been on or seen there's a reason why there are qualifications for instructors.

Last person I saw who was intent on teaching his girlfriend, mate and his girlfriend had himself and most of the rest of the party in form or other of surgical support by the end of the second day and none of his companions were talking to him - he was an *rse frankly and deserved it but none of the others did!

At the very least they should get a couple of days worth of group lessons (maybe mornings), at least they'll know the basics by then and can decide whether to get more after that.

EDIT: BTW, welcome to Snowheads - brave first post!

P.P.S. I agree very much with the 2 posts below Very Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 28-10-10 19:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
jambo1, Welcome and what a great first post, I can see this running and running.

First off, yes they are insured, like others have said, unless you are taking money in any way, i.e. as part of a package holiday they are paying to you or even under-the-table, you will have know problems with the authorities (if an accident happens it will come out if they were paying, then you could have a load of problems). What the French hate is when people get round the law by saying the teaching is part of the holiday price so anyone can teach them and not use the local ski schools so depriving them of an income.

I 'give tips' to my relations and friends (not beginners I should add) all the time and loads of people know me and I do not have any problems as they know I do not get paid anything and we also use the local ski school for the kids racing and guiding quite a lot. It is the same with your mates. Your Insurance covers you for third party liability and they must have there own accident/liability insurance for skiing as well. So on that point you can sleep easy. Very Happy

BUT for once I see myself agreeing with everyone else, why do it!!! rolling eyes Let them pay for lessons, teaching beginners is a pain Evil or Very Mad and you will not enjoy it after the first 30min. Better still, as snowskinow says, if they can get to a snowdome before the trip, get them to take lessons before they go so when they get to the alps they can already ski. Much better use of that valuable holiday time and more fun for everyone. Have a good trip whatever you do Very Happy
latest report
Definitely the best suggestion so far IMO is to put them in lessons in the morning.
That way, they finish, you get some lunch then hit the slopes together. They'll be busy practising what they've learnt and you, as a friend, can help them consolidate that learning so they move on quicker.

Tell them it's the only way they'll enjoy it. If they're afraid to commit to doing it properly they're all the more likely to fail and without any proper lessons at all, that's more likely still.
Get them to a snowDome for a taster - if they like it, they can do morning ski school in the mountains, if they don't, go with someone else - skiers are easy enough to find after all Wink snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy