Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux/Mayrhofen

Poster: A snowHead
Heading to Hintertux for a long weekend next week. Staying in Mayrhofen. I know there are numerous threads but am too lazy to hunt them down.

Anybody got any tips, either about Mayrhofen or Hintertux?

Very excited, especially given the forecast of 50cm fresh dump. The new skis are getting waxed tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fifespud, snap! Staying in Lanersbach Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1590656&highlight=hintertux#1590656
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Im bored, I'll reply save you hunting.

Think Mos and Scotland yard are the only decent touristy bars still open in Mayrhofen, all's going strong in the Tux. Lanersbach, i'm guessing you will be frequenting whatever your hotel has as a watering hole.

If you want feeding in Mayrhofen Ciao is still going as is the tirolerstube by the station, the rest are hotels (the ones by the ahornbahn are good)

Skiing wise, if its well groomed and not the dumping the tux is a massive motorway, big wide, fast runs... note you will not be the fastest thing on the piste this time just enjoy the speed. If it has dumped before you get there and you are dead set on powder tracks pretty please watch out unless you are equipped for crevasse rescues ask around, tell a local you are going off piste and ask where is safe (obviously they will tell you not if you ask if you should). If you have a few pennies get a guide, the lads up there are top notch. Above all, if it is untracked DO NOT SKI IT, tux is a playground for very good skiers, if it looks good and is safe they will have skied it.

Finally you may have skied glaciers before (i know some of the french ones are higher as well) but the tux is very exposed, it sits in a mixing point between the north and south winds, weather up there can turn in 30 seconds and its scary as hell. Doesn't matter if its 25C take a backpack and put another thick layer in it. learned that one the hard way. Same goes the other way, wear suncream, lots of it!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers. That's really helpful. The other thread degenerated a bit!
If you were me would you advise me to change where I am staying to closer to the skiing?
I was worried the villages up towards Hintertux would be absolutely dead at this time of the year. Where would you advise?
There are just 2 of us and we don't want to staring at each other for 3 days!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haha, unfortunatly everywhere will be quiet now but if you want to see other humans at all it really has to be mayrhofen, if you have your own car then there's no reason not to stay in Mayrhofen as it only takes 30min to drive. If not the bus takes about an hour to get to the bottom of the tux, then its about 20/25 minutes to get right to the top (three connected gondolas), perfectly doable but does mean early mornings (though i guess you are here to ski not drink).

Places like lanersbach where slikedges, are a bit closer maybe only a 10/15 minute drive and its possible to stay in some nice hotels nice on the cheap but you will most likely get home and sit in the hotel bar every night.

Myself i have no issues getting up early and travelling from Mayrhofen if its only for a few days, but that's just me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fifespud, Lanersbach and the other villages will be fairly quiet at this time of year. The Hohenhaus Tenne in Hintertux will most definitely not be... Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's exactly as I figured it. The Tux hotels look great but pricey. I have skied at Saas Fee before but in the Summer when the weather is more predictable. You can see how it could be very dangerous though.

I think we will get a guide tbh. A wee bit of expense but could really make the holiday and we have got cheap flights and accommodation.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nozawaonsen wrote:
Fifespud, Lanersbach and the other villages will be fairly quiet at this time of year. The Hohenhaus Tenne in Hintertux will most definitely not be... Very Happy

Is that the après place? If we end up getting trolleyed one day any idea what time is the last bus is to Mayrhofen if we dump the car?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ouch just looked, 5:45, better get drunk quick

The guide is a great idea, if you get a bluebird on the glacier with a guide it will blow you away.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes it is. I think the last bus to Mayrhofen is actually around 18.45? One of the advantages of staying closer in, like Lanersbach, is that it is easier to get the bus or taxi back from the apres. Then again you aren't in Mayrhofen. So horses for courses I guess... wink

Incidentally the links in the other thread should give you lots of useful info.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
its possible something might run later in winter but just checked the website. http://www.mayrhofen.at/service/fahrplaene.html its the second from the bottom.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can see it all going horribly wrong!

It it all T Bars up top? Not that I mind.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are 4 T-bars at the very top mostly pretty quick though, just there because they are planted happily in the ice which moves 2 meters a year so they have to reset all the time. Most of the rest of the stuff lower down is chair lifts... yes some are older than me but you can still sit on them.

As for the bus situation I would recomend just having a couple at the apres ski bar then heading down to scotland yard later, there are always peope in there on the weekends, will probably see you there anyways.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
p.s. its raining pretty heavy right now,,,,,, this is good news snowHead
snow report
dulcamara wrote:
p.s. its raining pretty heavy right now,,,,,, this is good news snowHead

I'm guessing you're not at 3000m!

The T Bar situation is the same at Saas Fee but with about 200 small children, members of assorted European junior ski teams who have no knowledge of the concept of queuing!
Being from Scotland the yard sounds right up our street!
snow report
dulcamara wrote:
There are 4 T-bars at the very top mostly pretty quick though, just there because they are planted happily in the ice which moves 2 meters a year so they have to reset all the time. Most of the rest of the stuff lower down is chair lifts... yes some are older than me but you can still sit on them.
you have failed to mention the Gletscherbus that'll whisk you in comfort on two wires from the Tuxerfernerhaus to the top - offers nearly 1900 feet of vertical using one modern gondola. I agree the chairs are old (apart from the one down the backside) but can avoid them and all the t bars if you want to.
latest report
HAHA I'm at 600m and its belting down this morning 10cm in an hour !!!!!

Quote:

you have failed to mention the Gletscherbus that'll whisk you in comfort on two wires from the Tuxerfernerhaus to the top - offers nearly 1900 feet of vertical using one modern gondola.

Bode Swiller, do you work for the Glescherbahn advertising team? very poetic, though it is three modern gondolas with little walks between them.
latest report
dulcamara, "no" and "yes I know". I think your descriptions of the place are all a bit odd. Yes, the weather can occasionally get wild up there (hey, this is 3000m up and I've had plenty of similar weather in Tignes, Kaprun etc) but you make it sound totally unpredictable and scary. Over-dramatised basically. And you did manage to make it sound like a bunch of T bars and creaky old chairs - which it isn't.
ski holidays
Ignoring boring arguments about lifts and weather patterns (you'll see all that when you get there),

Fifespud, Mayrhofen should be moving a little over the weekend, Mo's are having a dj for their halloween night on saturday and Scotties have their closing down/halloween party with band and all on Sunday which should be huge.
latest report
dulcamara wrote:
Ignoring boring arguments about lifts and weather patterns (you'll see all that when you get there),

Fifespud, Mayrhofen should be moving a little over the weekend, Mo's are having a dj for their halloween night on saturday and Scotties have their closing down/halloween party with band and all on Sunday which should be huge.

dulcarma et al - thanks for all the information. Arriving late Thursday and heading to Munich airport after we finish skiing on Sunday. Just cannot wait to get there, waxed the skis last night, gave the edges a little tune.

My mate is hiring skis. Had a look online at the shop at Tux. The range seems to be skewed towards 100% on piste skis, at least at the high end.

Looking at the piste map, as usual until you have been there its hard to get your head round, are there a couple of runs over the back of the mountain?

Will we be able to wasg the travel dust down with a beer at 11.30pm on Thursday in Mayrhofen?

Finally the guides - are these guys/girls intstrutors also?
ski holidays
Fifespud wrote:
My mate is hiring skis. Had a look online at the shop at Tux. The range seems to be skewed towards 100% on piste skis, at least at the high end.
Two really good rental operations there - the Intersport at the Neu Hintertux Hotel is v good but I like the Sport Nenner (http://www.sportnenner.at/) which has two locations - one bang next to the lift station and another at the Tuxerfernerhaus (2660m). You can hire at the bottom and change/dump skis at the higher location. If your mate isn't enjoying his skis he can easily swap. I was there in the summer and there was a whole range of fat stuff. They will also look after your stuff for a small fee - get that tune up overnight.
snow conditions
Fifespud, Take care with your timings this weekend - it is a long weekend here in Bavaria and a lot of people will be on the road on Sunday evening. It could snarl up pretty quickly on the Inntal and A8 motorways as people go back home on Sunday evening. The forecast is for good walking weather so lots of day trippers heading for the hills for walking (the Bavarians are not yet thinking skiing, although it has snowed even in Munich this week)

The clocks also go back this weekend so make sure you have the right times for getting back to the airport - if you arrive early I can thoroughly recommend the Airbräu in the open area between Terminals 1 & 2

Could be busy on Thursday evening as the Bavarian school holidays start on Friday as well - but I don't envisage horror jams some how - they will start at mid-day on Friday when the kids are released from school!

Have a good weekend sliding!

Smile
ski holidays
Ok, the lads were up there yesterday and theres a meter of fresh powder but no base to it which means you have to keep to the pistes or you wreck your bases lower down (as most of them did) though its supposed to be great fun. That said the warm wind from the south should be coming in the next few days so my advice would be to expect a fair amount of on piste skiing as well.

Best way to find guides would be to get an off-piste instructor from one of the schools on the tux so yes they are also instructors. Another option if you want the best guides is Rock n Snow (nothing to do with the slush and rubble) the head guide peter bacher is awsome if he's doing it....

http://www.rocknsnow.at/
ski holidays
Fifespud & slikedges, you guys will be lucking in with snow conditions for the comming weekend! We arrived on Sunday and have had two brilliant days skiing on the glacier. Things are a bit on the soft side for race training but great for anyone else. The off piste on the glacier is not recommended unless you want to end up in a hole. Did hear of a few crevass rescues yesterday... Also saw a few people skiing down to the bottom but I'd question the snow cover. They are busy pisting the main run down to the Sommerbergalm and hoping to open it for the weekend along with the Ramsmoos drag. If anyone wants to meet up for a drink or quick ski just send me a PM.
ski holidays
juliad,& Fifespud,& dulcamara, Sod it! you lot have forced me to book flights for this weekend too! woo hoo! here i come!
ski holidays
See you guys in Mos saturday night, neighbours dj'ing (how do you make that a verb?) only place worth going that night and i promised to try and find some people to make it a good night.. Will do my sun dance tomorrow, hope you get some good weather. snowHead
ski holidays
DaveMcSki wrote:
juliad,& Fifespud,& dulcamara, Sod it! you lot have forced me to book flights for this weekend too! woo hoo! here i come!

Dave see you there but - no skis wider than 84mm - get all thoughts of Dunc and I 'dropping in' behind you, over the back, down the side, or any other spot that is not well tracked and I can see with my own eyes people coming out the other end! Plus you are driving back from the Hohenhaus Tenne. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Two great days at Tux, Tux, Hintertux. Great skiing. This blows Saas Fee out of the water. That bar in the car park is amazing!
Out in Mayrhofen tonight and a days hard skiing tomorrow.
I can't reccomend this place high enough for out of season skiing.
Brilliant!
ski holidays
Thought you'd like it! Very Happy
ski holidays
3 fantastic days of skiing. Poor vis on Thu - very sporting on Gefrorene through GS gates. Abandoned the lane in the pm and just free skied. Absolutely perfect training weather on Fri. Olperer was perfect - hard enough to be clean and predictable, soft enough to forgive my dodgy technique! Sat was very very windy but got more of a chance to tour the other pistes. All in excellent condition really, some small bumps forming and some icy windblown convexities, lots of fast eurocarving to be had to go with lots of loud europop later!
latest report
Is that big apres place facing the gondola??.....brilliant spot that, anyone got the name of it??
snow conditions
dazman, Hohenhaus Tenne
ski holidays
Just to refresh your memories dazman -

http://youtube.com/v/kiaHbPOLiA4
snow conditions
My first trip abroad was to Hintertux, had a great time in that bar!
snow conditions
TWICE we've missed the Gletcherbus back to Mayrhofen cos of that place.....actually the first time it happened one of the bar staff gave us a lift back to the Hof, we had more on him than we had.....which was slightly worrying.
latest report
Hi Guys - going out to Mayrhofen with a party of friends for christmas - anyone spent the festive season there before

And more important are the slopes open christmas day???
snow conditions
Spent New Year there and it was awesome (never seen so many fireworks), I'd guess slopes open but no lessons on Christmas day,
snow report
Skischule Mayrhofen 3000 has arranged private lessons for me on Christmas Day and Christmas Eve in previous years.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy